PDA

View Full Version : Trial download

UKNightWatch
09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey all,

I was just flicking through some forum searches and saw lots of complaints about the 72 hour Defiance trial - both for download and then access issues.

I started my download about 40 minutes or so ago - that is, I downloaded the Patcher.exe, installed, then launched and started the 'patch'. The download 'Rate' is fairly steady at 2.30 to 2.33 Mbps from what I have seen and I do not expect this to get faster because of my ADSL speed. The 'Time Remaining' is currently hovering at around 11:30:xx but has been going as high as 15:00:xx. This means that I am not likely to have a complete download until very early in the morning (I'll probably be asleep then) and not be able to try to log into the game until some time tomorrow - hopefully in the morning.

I do not mind that the trial is for 72 hours only but I think Trion made a very bad choice in having the trial start as soon as the potential player is registered or logged into their account. So far, I am looking at my trial being reduced by the download by around 12 hours (patcher estimates) then I will need to allow something like 6 hours before I can log in (Sleep and morning routine). Added to that, Trion surely do not think that all trial players are going to be able to play all of the time of the trial! (?) It took many hours to 'get into' RIFT (a game I enjoy) and I fear the trial of Defiant well not be enough to get a feel for the game (though I am, evidently, prepared to give it a go.)

I am concerned also by reports of valid accounts with valid downloads not being able to access the trial and horrendously bad lag when they can.

Having recently watched the complete first season box set of Defiance I was eager to try the game and possibly buy it.

Can anyone offer me any assurances about this seemingly horrible (to potential buyers) trial?

Are the patcher time estimates likely to be correct?

Are the problems logging in to Defiance (especially for trial) fixed?

What about the lag issues? (I live in the UK.)

I'm starting to think that downloading Defiance then trying to play it is going to be a massive waste of my time.

Thod
09-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Download time is correct. patcher might even lock up on you. For $5 U.S. its worth the buy. but not the dlc or for a multi player game.

UKNightWatch
09-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the swift reply.

I guessed the DL time to be near correct - thanks for confirming.

$5 US sounds great but when I looked (today) it said $9.99 down from $24 or thereabouts. I have heard that the $5 is the price via 'Steam' - a system I will not use by choice - no need to start that debate here but I just do not like 'Steam'.

Thanks again. :)

VicousBlood
09-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the swift reply.

I guessed the DL time to be near correct - thanks for confirming.

$5 US sounds great but when I looked (today) it said $9.99 down from $24 or thereabouts. I have heard that the $5 is the price via 'Steam' - a system I will not use by choice - no need to start that debate here but I just do not like 'Steam'.

Thanks again. :)
You can actually play it without steam, just buy it through steam. Register your key to your account, run steam once to DL the client files. Then you can go to your steam install directory, Example: F:\Steam\SteamApps\common. There is a directory in there that will be called defiance, cut it out of the steam folder paste it anywhere you want it, then create a shortcut to Patcher.exe. There is no file/folder/registry structure difference between the standalone and the steam version. Then uninstall steam.

UKNightWatch
09-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Yeah - that sounds good in theory!

In practice though I will not let 'Steam' anywhere near my main PC or LAN. I gave 'Steam' a go then got rid. I gave 'Steam' another chance (for 'Skyrim') and was horribly let down. Once bitten twice shy. Third time will not have a chance to be a charm.

Thanks for the idea though.

VicousBlood
09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah - that sounds good in theory!

In practice though I will not let 'Steam' anywhere near my main PC or LAN. I gave 'Steam' a go then got rid. I gave 'Steam' another chance (for 'Skyrim') and was horribly let down. Once bitten twice shy. Third time will not have a chance to be a charm.

Thanks for the idea though.

I've got both the standalone and steam versions of the game, the above method I have tested and it works. Not a big fan of Steam either, I use the standalone to play the game. The key is registered to your Trion account not steam. So you don't even need steam on your system once you dl'd all the client files and moved them out of steam.

When it comes to Defiance though, I would suggest keeping a backup copy of the whole directory and the files contained within. Just in case you are one of those individuals who had the issue where patching made them redownload the whole game, I don't know if they fixed that or not.

Forgot to add, if you use this method, once you move the Defiance directory out of the steam folder. It will act, run and update just like the standalone version, it doesn't update through steam, which is one of the good things they(Trion) did.

Shismar
09-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Pretty sure you can purchase the game on Steam, use the key you get to register the game at Trion, and download from Trion without Steam ever touching your system. That is what I did at launch.

I can understand avoiding Steam. I like them as a distribution platform but I hate them as an DRM.

UKNightWatch
09-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Really not in any way interested in 'Steam'. Bad experiences with a product do that to ya! Let's hope Defiant downloads and works OK!

Backing up the game is a very good idea - I have a few games I like backed up on either memory stick or removable HDD (usb).

Anyways! It's after 2100 here - gonna watch a couple of episodes of 'Stargate SG1' then off to bed - hopefully DL will complete OK as I sleep and I will get in game in the morning.

Thanks again for the replies all.

Sauria
09-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I did the 72 hour trial and it did seem like an eternity to install. But once I got into play it felt like I had more time than I thought. So maybe they did not count the install time. The patch gave me issues at first too and Trion sent me a message saying how to fix it. Such as un installing the patch etc. They sent a list of several other things to try as well. I ended up buying the disc for 9.99 (us) rather than buying it online as I like to have a hard copy of the game, it always seems to work better for me that way plus I am using my husband's pc as mine died and I want to make it easier to transfer it once I get my own pc working again.

Anyway I still ran into some issues after getting the disc but they seem to have smooth themselves out on their own over the past couple of weeks. For now I just have issues with losing connection to the server when I am in the middle of a coop mission. I think that is an issue with our internet and use of a repeater in the house as it is multilevel rather than a fault of the game.

Over all I am happy with the game despite occasionally getting aggravated. What game doesn't have issues now and then. It is just a matter of finding a game that you like enough to put up with the occasional issue much like with people in your lives. :-)

UKNightWatch
09-09-2013, 05:12 AM
'Hello all,

Sauria: If I can get this DL to work and if the game will play, I will make a judgement regarding 'occasional issue'! I have played many online games so I know exactly what you mean in your last statement. :)

So how's it going?

Not well!

Around 0700 this morning I checked the DL and it still had hours to go. I went about my business so to say till about 1230 and came back to check the DL again. I was disheartened to see an error message telling me that there had been an error patching. I restarted the patcher and for about five minutes, the progress bar constantly shot to the top / end and I thought maybe I was lucky and the patch was just going through the motions of installation and all would be good. No such luck! The error message reappeared. I shut down the patcher, restarted it and waited a few minutes until it gave a progress report. The 'time' showed over twelve hours left to download. :(

I intend to shut down my computer then restart and restart the patch but I suspect it will be another twelve hour (+/-) to DL the client / patch. At this rate it looks like my trial has gone (or will go) from 72 hours to 48 hours tops.

Way to instill confidence in prospective customers TRION! OK! So I know there are are many issues that can cause the patcher to go into error. There are many 'hops' between my PC and the Trion server, there are hundreds of different PC configurations the patcher could encounter and there are probably many issues that I have no awareness of. The thing is though this DL and trial is my way into Defiance and so far - so bad.

If this DL does not work I certainly will not buy the game - in any of its forms. I will keep trying for now and hope that I succeed as I really want to try the game and buy it if it proves to be as good as I think it will. In fact, if I can get in the trial, I will likely just buy the game anyway! At the moment I feel that I should keep my money though and spend it elsewhere.

On a sideways note; I have rift installed, enjoy it as a game and spend money on it. TRION are not, in my view, a bad company to game with but I do feel very unsure about Defiance just now and my thoughts on TRION will likely be affected by my experiences with the Defiance trial. (I hope for the better).

Thod
09-09-2013, 11:34 AM
I am very sorry that you got the patcher bug. I wish I could say I did not tell you. This is a Trion trade mark with this game. The patcher stinks, will stink and will always stink.

I was an alpha tester and 80% of what is wrong in game was wrong in Jan this year. It will not get a fix or improvement. People can try to post that I am anti Trion here but if you have seen and know my other post before I stopped playing(and am going to erase it from my computer) I supported this game.

so sorry for your loss.

UKNightWatch
09-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks Thod! I was so hoping to get a clean DL and install but my faith in that is severely waning.

I did not see the time when I DL the patcher but the date and time stamps on the file verify 1400 yesterday. I started the patcher install then ran the patcher as soon as I got it. It is now 2225 local (and PC) time. A quick bit of math shows that I have now been trying to get the DL / client for around 32 hours! This allows for the time when the patcher went into error and I restarted PC then Patcher. The patcher estimate for DL is another 4 and a half hours.

I am at this time seriously put off Defiance but will leave the patcher running. Should there be further error then I will terminate my attempts to get the game. Not even getting to try the game let alone play it will be a disappointment but will save me a few quid () for something else.

Now before anyone suggests that I am a hater, I have already made it clear on these forums that I quite like gaming with TRION - I have rift and enjoy playing it and I do spend some money on that game.

I would have loved to have had this DL / patch / install work well and to have had the opportunity to try the game and I would likely have spent money on the game. Thing is this: I am a person that would have spent money on the game both in purchases of game and DLC and on the game store but that is looking less and less likely to happen.

@ TRION: this whole experience has been very bad and very off-putting. You guys really need to feed the hamsters so to say and get rid of the person who thought of including the DL / patch time in the game trial time. Instead of a three day (72 hour) trial, I am now looking at a one day at best trial of the game - if I ever get in that is. This is a VERY bad marketing strategy that I suspect has put off a lot of gamers - your customers or potential customers.

Thod
09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I went to a game that was made by a company called Cryptic, I won't say the game. but it is a F2P mmorpg. yes it has a cash store in it. This is the mode of what Trion wanted Defiance to be.

It has already been stated that they took too much on with this project and the time frame was rushed.

I love the game, I really do. I wont uninstall it, I am going to wait til it gets fixed and becomes great because I know it can be.

For now I would hold off and do watchful waiting like I am doing. That is the best advice I can give.

UKNightWatch
09-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I went to a game that was made by a company called Cryptic, I won't say the game. but it is a F2P mmorpg. yes it has a cash store in it. This is the mode of what Trion wanted Defiance to be.

It has already been stated that they took too much on with this project and the time frame was rushed.

I love the game, I really do. I wont uninstall it, I am going to wait til it gets fixed and becomes great because I know it can be.

For now I would hold off and do watchful waiting like I am doing. That is the best advice I can give.

I'm pretty sure I know the Cryptic game! Tied into a well known SF franchise. I bought a lifetime membership for that game before it changed to the current system - mainly because of the TV SF tie in. I have the same sort of feeling for Defiance - buy the game - follow the SF series. Thing is I'm truly once bitten twice shy and that is why I wanted to try Defiance (game) before I buy.

The good news is that around mid morning I got a successful install of the game. Sadly, I was not able to try the game until later this afternoon but, not so sadly, I did manage to get in game.

So far my experience of the so called 72 hour trial has not been very good because of the huge chunk of time to download the game and have a working install. I really think the 72 hours advertised was a mistake by TRION - especially because they either did not take download times into account or deliberately did take download times into account knowing that it would lead to less actual play time - a very bad mistake either way.

My thoughts on the game? Well I have played the 'intro area' and got as far as the missions in the crash site camp. I have got a quad bike and just got to some medics. I must say that I was less than impressed with the character select / design interface. The game itself looks gorgeous - especially when I run it in eyefinity (except for UI element placing)! The game play is a bit awkward for me (I have a neurological problem that affect my coordination) but I think I could get used to it for short play times. I do fear though that the game is probably a bit too much style over substance for me! That is - the game looks pretty but has few other qualities to be good (never mind great). I also felt somewhat 'out of the loop' and can think of no other way to phrase that other than to say I did not feel the game engaged me.

As for 'It has already been stated that they took too much on with this project and the time frame was rushed.' I think that is an accurate statement about TRION and Defiance.

I will try to get back to the game tonight but will be unlikely to do so tomorrow as I have an important meeting to attend (yeah it's not all TRIONs fault!). My trial time ends at about 1400 tomorrow. :(

As things stand, I truly feel that TRION messed up by not allowing DL before trial began. I would like to really like the game but at this point I am not impressed and will not buy the game and I suspect that later today after another shot at it I will likely feel the same.

So for now I will 'do the watchful waiting', hope the game improves and look in from time to time to see if it improves enough to warrant purchase.