PDA

View Full Version : Time and skill should mean something when it comes to loot...

JBoneFX
09-10-2013, 09:15 AM
It shouldn't mean you have more random opportunities to score a good weapon. It means it's all about luck, and even if you're the player with the most play time, the most pvp kills, the most mob kills etc, a player with 1% of your accomplishments has the chance to get better loot than you.

Sure, getting lucky is part of the game, but to be a slave to the RNG should NOT be the only way to get quality items in the game.

There needs to be another avenue for players who haven't been blessed by the system, a work-horse method to be able to gain desirable items. Here's my example and idea about that...

Every weapon you salvage, the random stats on the item will yield nano parts.

The nano parts can be combined to create a weapon enhancement, this mod can replace a current enhancement on any particular weapon.

Here are the rarity yield numbers:

White:1
Green:5
Blue:15
Purple:75
Orange:500

You must have 10000 of the same type of nano parts to create one enhancement. For Instance:

If this blue weapon has 1.15 melee damage and 1.05 damage on it, I would get 15 nanos for the melee and 15 for the damage. Once I have 10000 Melee damage nanos, I can then create the enhancement, take my current weapon and replace, say 200% melee damage on revive for 5 seconds on my favorite shotgun with it...

Being honest, melee damage is NOT the desireable one, so when you create that enhancement, you can hang on to it, and combine 3 enhancements to make one of your choice.

Punch some holes in it, but we need something besides this RNG BS...

TravelerX1
09-10-2013, 09:18 AM
I like this alot.
Sounds like a good basis for a crafting system to me?

JBoneFX
09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
I like this alot.
Sounds like a good basis for a crafting system to me?

yes, but it's not complicated, its something that could be implemented by making a few DB entries and a simple interface. The hardest part would be the ability to select the weapon's current bonuses and change them. But as a programmer, this is totally doable and not a huge undertaking...

TravelerX1
09-10-2013, 09:35 AM
In light of keeping this positive and on topic, I will refrain from comments about Trion, LOL

This could even be extended to Nanos - break down so many nano weapons of one type and get to change the nano of one of your weapons to that. Melee nanos too.

Synergies could also be done like this as well.

XP rolls (Since it would take a lllllllllllllloooooooooooonnng time to gather the resources for those - maybe could be a "Re-Roll ticket" where the mastery resets and you get a second chance at a new mastery bonus

This would add a nice "sorta" crafting feel to the whole weapons system, and would give people something to work for again.

Building a gun to your perfect specs would be a goal again.

-Find a weapon that is "pretty good"
-Open Mod slots, add mods
-Master the weapon
-Start collecting resources for things you want to add or change
-Make those changes and continue to craft the gun.
-If you change the synergy, you would need to remove the mods already on it,
find new ones and equip those.
-Work on the rolls, etc....

Hell even if they made the weapons untradable once put into the crafting process, who would care?

JBoneFX
09-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Nano, Synergies, Mastery Bonuses. All that should be included in this idea.

Also, yes, once it's modified it should be bound to that character...

Conneri
09-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Or they could do something like put an orange in the rep vendors for 500k...

As for the actual idea, the currency is unnecessarily complex. We already get ark salvage for salvaging. It'd be easier to just add a vendor that accepts ark salvage to do what you are thinking. You pay x ark salvage and get an item that can be used in the salvage matrix (new button below Reset Mastery) to replace one of the current bonuses (or add if there is no bonus of that level on it).

Overall, I'm not convinced it's needed. I think better tuning on drops would make more sense (like give the loot at the end of co-ops something of a table of drops rather than random crap).

Krazy Karen
09-10-2013, 09:57 AM
What a awesome idea!

I myself am EGO 4800, and on my 20th tier 4 box and NOTHING. meanweal people who are EGO 2k pull a legendary every other tier 2....yes....that's fair....

Not only would crafting be fun and new, but would let us get some good gear!

N3gativeCr33p
09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I am a big fan of crafting in my RPGs/MMOs... I like that idea.

Magick
09-10-2013, 10:36 AM
It shouldn't mean you have more random opportunities to score a good weapon. It means it's all about luck, and even if you're the player with the most play time, the most pvp kills, the most mob kills etc, a player with 1% of your accomplishments has the chance to get better loot than you.

Sure, getting lucky is part of the game, but to be a slave to the RNG should NOT be the only way to get quality items in the game.

There needs to be another avenue for players who haven't been blessed by the system, a work-horse method to be able to gain desirable items. Here's my example and idea about that...

Every weapon you salvage, the random stats on the item will yield nano parts.

The nano parts can be combined to create a weapon enhancement, this mod can replace a current enhancement on any particular weapon.

Here are the rarity yield numbers:

White:1
Green:5
Blue:15
Purple:75
Orange:500

You must have 10000 of the same type of nano parts to create one enhancement. For Instance:

If this blue weapon has 1.15 melee damage and 1.05 damage on it, I would get 15 nanos for the melee and 15 for the damage. Once I have 10000 Melee damage nanos, I can then create the enhancement, take my current weapon and replace, say 200% melee damage on revive for 5 seconds on my favorite shotgun with it...

Being honest, melee damage is NOT the desireable one, so when you create that enhancement, you can hang on to it, and combine 3 enhancements to make one of your choice.

Punch some holes in it, but we need something besides this RNG BS...

Orange are supposed to be the most powerful!!!! I have over 100 Oranges that I have vendored because they have rolls and synergies that make it as usueful as a white weapon and I am suprised no one has ever complained about this. WTF is up with rolls and synergies that do absolutely nothing for a weapon?

TravelerX1
09-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Or they could do something like put an orange in the rep vendors for 500k...

As for the actual idea, the currency is unnecessarily complex. We already get ark salvage for salvaging. It'd be easier to just add a vendor that accepts ark salvage to do what you are thinking. You pay x ark salvage and get an item that can be used in the salvage matrix (new button below Reset Mastery) to replace one of the current bonuses (or add if there is no bonus of that level on it).

Overall, I'm not convinced it's needed. I think better tuning on drops would make more sense (like give the loot at the end of co-ops something of a table of drops rather than random crap).

I am for anything that makes this game better, and sets more goals in it.

The "crafting" currencies is not really any different then how Diablo does it. There are different types you get from different levels of gear and recipes require certain amounts of those materials . Maybe it's a little more complicated then it needs to be, but even if you moved it all over to ark salvage it would still work (But wouldn't give as may options for the goal aspect of it) I think with making it arc salvage based you would loose some of the "gathering" aspect of it, and would make it a little too easy.

TravelerX1
09-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Orange are supposed to be the most powerful!!!! I have over 100 Oranges that I have vendored because they have rolls and synergies that make it as usueful as a white weapon and I am suprised no one has ever complained about this. WTF is up with rolls and synergies that do absolutely nothing for a weapon?

People have...... no one is listening at trion.... and if they are, they arn't talking about it.

Troy Shepard
09-10-2013, 01:33 PM
It shouldn't mean you have more random opportunities to score a good weapon...

...Punch some holes in it, but we need something besides this RNG BS...

Sounds like a good start to a crafting system. I like it a lot. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen anytime soon if at all. It was not written into the code, therefore Trion would have to write it in and then test it before releasing it. With all the other issue at hand I highly doubt we will see this. It would be awesome to have and do. I have a purple lvl sticky nad launcher with the 200% 5 sec melee dmg bonus, of course that has no use on that kind of weapon.

JBoneFX
09-10-2013, 10:31 PM
If anything, I hope they do something to sustain the upper EGO players. They seem to continue to put the 1-2k EGOS on par with 3-5ks. Doesn't make sense at all...

chilipino
09-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Great idea. This would give us an ability to mold those crappy oranges into something that's actually desirable. It also will give the player an interesting choice to make between breaking down an item for salvage, selling it for scrip, or attempting to extract a bonus ingredient from it (which still can be randomly determined among the bonuses that are on the weapon). Also, it'll blow up our inventories and cause us to want to buy inventory slots. Win-win.

Takao
09-11-2013, 02:19 AM
I was hoping something like that would take fruit. I once(game just came out) kept my fav. gun mastered for 400 ego because I didn't want to lose the xp roll. When I finally did I noticed x1.04 damage and I was stoked it didn't reset too! I raced to master it again only to see it still at 1.04.....what the hell? 1.041 or something geez. How many times you master a gun should count towards some value in it. You use it over and over, tune it up and it keeps performing. It should upgrade if we are still leveling it and there is a xp bar.

JBoneFX
09-11-2013, 06:35 AM
I just hope something like this is feasible for them to implement... We need something soon, the player base is dwindling away and something like this would really grab and hold onto um...

Ashlocke
09-11-2013, 06:54 AM
I've been asking (and hoping) for a deterministic means to getting and upgrading gear since forever. My only hope is that they don't just slap something into the game but rather "do it right".

Indra Echo
09-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Crafting sort of like this has been suggested since the beginning-not exactly in this format, but the ability to actually spend items we now have in order to create other items--as well as maybe a way to spend EGO currency. I do believe that all the extra XP many of us now get that we can't use for anything should enter into a crafting system.

What I have resisted is anything in the game that ends up rewarding people as if all events are skill-based when the game has problems keeping accurate track of scoring AND when lag is the persistent issue that relates to how well any one player can do at any event. The way it is now, you may have a really poor connection, but lag might be on your side anyway and you will get credit for every kill. At other times, you don't get any credit for kills and everything is an assist. I've seen this at sieges and arkfalls. Yesterday, friends and I did one and it was amazing how fast other players were killing the Volge--if this meant they were all good players, we should have gotten to stage 20 based on how fast it was going. We got just past stage 10.

And all I was getting were assist points. I'm usually the one with crippling lag, but a friend had it this time. At other sieges I'd get credit for all kinds of kills I didn't think I was making.

So, yes a crafting system based on what we've earned or are earning, but less emphasis on scoreboard rewards until and unless they fix the crap that has existed since day 1.

Many of us have consistently maintained that there needs to be another way other than random dumb luck to get the good items and that doesn't mean having a vendor just sell them-we asked for crafting. We should be able to craft in nanos, bonuses, and even get legendaries. That would have made grinding more acceptable and would have opened up the possibilities to everyone.