PDA

View Full Version : MMOs are unstable on the first day

Philote
04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Can all of you complaining at least wait a while before getting up in arms about it? All this "I paid for a service I'm not getting" and getting stressed because you can't start leveling immediately. It's like you've never played an MMO on launch day before. It's almost always tumultuous in the beginning before things even out.

In short, calm your shtako.

And no, that's never gonna get old.

Tik
04-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Not putting in PTT is not unstable. It's pure bad development.

Mkilbride
04-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Shtako?

And yeah, I've rarely seen a MMO launch go smoothly. Well, Guild Wars 2 went off pretty smooth, and constantly updates with free content at no charge, not needing a season pass.

Philote
04-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Not putting in PTT is not unstable. It's pure bad development.
I'm talking about login issues and stuff, not actual game content. But I agree, especially since the VOIP seems broken.

Fiancee
04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
First day? There might be hiccups like two week. Ive never seen perfect launch.

Thunderclap
04-01-2013, 11:14 PM
First day? There might be hiccups like two week. Ive never seen perfect launch.

I never seen a Non Shtako launch. So hellbugs must be crushed. What else is new?

dirtyklingon
04-01-2013, 11:16 PM
this is one of the most half assed launches i've seen yet.

still better than gw2 launch over all , aside from the **** state of the client imho.

hey at least guilds work!

Yonan
04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
This has been a great launch for me so far. Have been able to login many hours early and had virtually lag free gameplay with no disconnects. GW2 launch was good apart from a couple systems such as AH and flaky guild display - the basic gameplay was all working fine with minimal performance issues.

ExpiredLifetime
04-01-2013, 11:25 PM
this is one of the most half assed launches i've seen yet.

still better than gw2 launch over all , aside from the **** state of the client imho.

hey at least guilds work!
Honestly if the game works within the first day, it's a stellar launch by MMO standards.
Hell, I remember WoW when it launched, and I remember SWG when it launched. The latter being the worst launch in my gaming history: you couldn't even make an account for weeks because of the overloaded servers.

Tik
04-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Overall honestly, not a bad launch.. But, it's not a complete game.. it feels like a console port that never quite made it to pc.

SphaZ
04-01-2013, 11:26 PM
I could log in, I could create my character and so far I could play a bit. TBH that's amazing for an MMO launch in my book (and I been playing MMO's since 1998)

dirtyklingon
04-01-2013, 11:27 PM
this is the lulziest launch i've done since aoc.

Mad Macallan
04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
I was waiting for the apologist post. And here it is. If you keep accepting the "launch is garbage" standard it'll never change. It's people like the OP that set a precedent for every MMO Developer's launch to be inadequate and sluggish. Maybe, I don't know, up your standards. You realize this same excuse has been used for about a decade and since people like us "complainers" speak up, things have gotten drastically better. Even Rift's launch was pretty damn smooth. Stop setting a terrible standard and ruining it for the rest of us. Thanks buddy.

Kurakoth
04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
I played rift at launch and it was a beautiful thing. Had high hopes for this release, but I guess that very late beta left plenty of problems on the table. No midnight release, problems in the client that were supposedly "fixed 2 months ago" and promises of server side patching making me reconsider downgrading my ultimate edition.

djin
04-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Error 37!!

JBoneFX
04-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I could log in, I could create my character and so far I could play a bit. TBH that's amazing for an MMO launch in my book (and I been playing MMO's since 1998)

no problems here either, surprisingly awesome...

Mad Macallan
04-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Error 37!!

Lol.

/10char

ExpiredLifetime
04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
I was waiting for the apologist post. And here it is. If you keep accepting the "launch is garbage" standard it'll never change. It's people like the OP that set a precedent for every MMO Developer's launch to be inadequate and sluggish. Maybe, I don't know, up your standards. You realize this same excuse has been used for about a decade and since people like us "complainers" speak up, things have gotten drastically better. Even Rift's launch was pretty damn smooth. Stop setting a terrible standard and ruining it for the rest of us. Thanks buddy.
You must not realize that nearly every game that releases has its issues at the start. There are variables that cannot be tested before the launch. Certain things are inexcusable, but server stability isn't one of them. If you've ever run a server, you would know the funny things that they tend to do when they get placed under load.

Now if you want a game that's going to be great at launch you're going to be looking at something that's along the lines of FireFall's current state - a continual, ongoing beta that delays the release of the game by years. Players always want something changed, and by trying to make it perfect you delay the final product.

Mad Macallan
04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
You must not realize that nearly every game that releases has its issues at the start. There are variables that cannot be tested before the launch. Certain things are inexcusable, but server stability isn't one of them. If you've ever run a server, you would know the funny things that they tend to do when they get placed under load.

Now if you want a game that's going to be great at launch you're going to be looking at something that's along the lines of FireFall's current state - a continual, ongoing beta that delays the release of the game by years. Players always want something changed, and by trying to make it perfect you delay the final product.

Totally get that, but the apologist's attitude / argument towards launch is a bit erroneous to say the least. I do realize, without dropping credentials as a trump card in this particular case, that launch can be rocky regardless of load testing and so forth, but what I'd ask for is instead of anonymous, uninformative errors like "you can't play the game, suck it..." we at least get a queue or precautions are taken so the forums aren't flooded and saturated with redundant topics like this one.

Again, avoiding dropping credentials in detail I do work as a UX designer for a company that regularly delivers products and we go through this every time, and I can absolutely promise you our load is infinitely larger than Defiance's player base. Do we have problems? Hell yes, but we also know how to inform our users in detail of the issues without redirecting them to some arbitrary knowledge base with hilarious solutions like "change your password!"

So yeah man, I agree on some level, but please don't tell me this is not something that could be resolved, or at least set up in a way to accommodate for somewhat predictable anomalies.

ExpiredLifetime
04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Snip
In situations like these the best thing that the developers can do is say nothing at all. By giving theories as to what's wrong and how players can theoretically fix it, they run the risk of making them even more mad when those "fixes" likely don't work. Having worked with, and knowing some developers personally, I can tell you they're more likely than not sitting and trying to find the problem right now; you know better than anyone else that the hardest part is finding what's broken. If they were to go and post a thread every few hours with a status update they would end up getting less work done and pissing off more people. Give it 6 hours, let the CSR team wake up and get their morning coffee before you should expect to hear a lot more from them.

Mad Macallan
04-02-2013, 12:21 AM
In situations like these the best thing that the developers can do is say nothing at all. By giving theories as to what's wrong and how players can theoretically fix it, they run the risk of making them even more mad when those "fixes" likely don't work. Having worked with, and knowing some developers personally, I can tell you they're more likely than not sitting and trying to find the problem right now; you know better than anyone else that the hardest part is finding what's broken. If they were to go and post a thread every few hours with a status update they would end up getting less work done and pissing off more people. Give it 6 hours, let the CSR team wake up and get their morning coffee before you should expect to hear a lot more from them.

Fair enough. I'd personally hire a PR intern to tweet "we are aware of the authorization issues and looking to resolve them" at the very least, but that's just how I roll in my world. Don't get me wrong - I'm not as impatient as it may be misconstrued via text, I was just excited to play and clearly cannot for some unclear reason with no viable solution or estimated wait available. Naturally I'm going to keep clicking until that error message vanishes and I can boom-headshot my way to the top.

ExpiredLifetime
04-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Fair enough. I'd personally hire a PR intern to tweet "we are aware of the authorization issues and looking to resolve them" at the very least, but that's just how I roll in my world. Don't get me wrong - I'm not as impatient as it may be misconstrued via text, I was just excited to play and clearly cannot for some unclear reason with no viable solution or estimated wait available. Naturally I'm going to keep clicking until that error message vanishes and I can boom-headshot my way to the top.
Someone suggested that I enabled the email newsletter, and surprisingly enough that resolved the issue for me. Go ahead and try it, nothing else to do currently.

Philote
04-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Not every game launch can be perfect. There's too many variables. To expect a first day launch of an MMO title to be smooth as silk is unreasonable when you take into account the amount of traffic involved with that many people logging in and downloading the client. I'm not an "apologist." I'm reasonable. I'm realistic. Try coding a game and then take the same stance. Things go wrong sometimes. It happens. I think any MMO developer deserves at least a small grace period. Getting bent out of shape on the first day because you can't log on and saying the game is a disaster is silly as ****. People need to relax and wait for the dust to settle.

'course with that said, if problems persist for days and days, then everyone's free to ***** and moan.

Buruko
04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Shtako?

And yeah, I've rarely seen a MMO launch go smoothly. Well, Guild Wars 2 went off pretty smooth, and constantly updates with free content at no charge, not needing a season pass.

There is to be content added at no charge as well as paid DLC.