PDA

View Full Version : 99 Players Max?

Ghetto Ganker
04-01-2013, 11:22 PM
I just read that this game will only have 98 other players and yourself per server... Is this true,

I'm Imagining a game like DCUO right now, where I can interact with thousands of people... 99 players CANT be true....

Mkilbride
04-01-2013, 11:26 PM
100, to be exact, was stated in a developer video.

Though there are hundreds of players per server, you'll be shuffled into channels of 100 max each.

November
04-01-2013, 11:26 PM
I would also like to know the answer to this, If its true then it may just be a game breaker for me.

Edit: Well that's unfortunate.

jjjjjj
04-01-2013, 11:28 PM
On the back of the box it says 10,000+ so hope its not 99 players , that would be ****

0_d4RK_FaLLen
04-01-2013, 11:30 PM
So how can you have 128 player shadow war? Guess as people join groups and shuffle around shards

Wrenito
04-01-2013, 11:31 PM
I would also like to know the answer to this, If its true then it may just be a game breaker for me.How is that a deal breaker for you? I strongly recommend you read up on Unified server. Its what most mmos will be migrating to (example Elder Scrolls).

Ghetto Ganker
04-01-2013, 11:31 PM
exactly. i most likely wouldnt have purchased if i knew in advance. oh well

Mkilbride
04-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Well, from the get go, it wasn't meant to be like Planetside 2, which is hundreds of actual players in the same area. This focuses more on story / instanced based stuff.

LordRaymond
04-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Wow this is kind of disappointing.

Ghetto Ganker
04-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Well, from the get go, it wasn't meant to be like Planetside 2, which is hundreds of actual players in the same area. This focuses more on story / instanced based stuff.

my only fear is they claim the world is HUGE, 100 players and a HUGE world wouldnt feel at all like an MMO, that would feel like Elder Scrolls to me

captnsammiller
04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
it says 2-unlimited on the back of the ps3 copy..

Wrenito
exactly. i most likely wouldnt have purchased if i knew in advance. oh wellYou need to read up as well. So many assumptions based off traditional mmo setups.

November
How is that a deal breaker for you? I strongly recommend you read up on Unified server. Its what most mmos will be migrating to (example Elder Scrolls).

Unless I'm misunderstanding it, a shard contains the whole world you're in yes? Only having 100 people on that large of an area would make things pretty lonely.

Ghetto Ganker
You need to read up as well. So many assumptions based off traditional mmo setups.

see my last post on the first page

Gravity
04-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Is this a sick April fools joke?

Mkilbride
04-01-2013, 11:35 PM
my only fear is they claim the world is HUGE, 100 players and a HUGE world wouldnt feel at all like an MMO, that would feel like Elder Scrolls to me

100 players in a FPS / TPS is considered "Huge", even with games like Planetside 2 & that 256 player one for the PS3 or so.

Got to remember, this game is on CONSOLES. Very few MMO's on consoles for just such reason, their CPU's can't handle processing all the additional players.

ExpiredLifetime
04-01-2013, 11:37 PM
100 players in a FPS / TPS is considered "Huge", even with games like Planetside 2 & that 256 player one for the PS3 or so.

Got to remember, this game is on CONSOLES. Very few MMO's on consoles for just such reason, their CPU's can't handle processing all the additional players.

This. Plus by limiting the number of players per channel, they prevent overpopulation and spawn camping.

Philote
04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
It might just mean 100 per zone you're in. If not, that IS a little on the low side. Though, I had fun playing alone in the beta, so it doesn't bother me.

Landshark
04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
The 100 limit is not as small as you think. I've been playing for several hours and there's always tons of people everywhere.

I'm guessing there's some fancy server magic when it comes to instances and how much of an area it really covers. I.e., I'm thinking the whole map isn't 1 instance, but possibly split up into several instances as you move across the map...something along those lines, although I could be wrong.

All I do know is that the world doesn't feel very empty at all, especially not the arkfalls.

Wrenito
04-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding it, a shard contains the whole world you're in yes? Only having 100 people on that large of an area would make things pretty lonely.Shards are not static. Unlike traditional mmos, your shard/server is not permanent, meaning one day you log on one entirely different. Consider it more like multiple instances of the same game world, that will increase and decrease depending on how many players are online within the region (US East, US West, EU, Aus, Etc). Because of the way the world is setup, post-apocalyptic, you wouldn't benefit from higher population in a shard anyways. By going with this Unified game server, people no longer have to pray they can get on the same server as their friends, worry about their server dying or being too laggy and over populated. One giant server, for all.

Elder Scrolls will be doing the same thing with slightly different mechanics, with their RVR/world pvp instanced in its own shard. Read up on it if you plan on playing that game.

zartanyen
04-01-2013, 11:51 PM

MAG had 256 in one match and have 128 all in the same voice chat that actually worked and this MMO can only have 100 people most guilds I know could not even get all their members on one server then most could not even get 1/4 their members on one server so if they did manage to do it they would be doing PVP agaist themselves.

Craptastic. Just say hey we are bigger then COD or BF3 but not by much for BF3 computer lmao.

DustOfDeath
04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
Why is all this **** being told after release? they kept all the ******** in secret to scam people into preordering that you cant cancel anymore.

Babar
04-02-2013, 12:45 AM
yeaa....

same with the region locking

zartanyen
04-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Why is all this **** being told after release? they kept all the ******** in secret to scam people into preordering that you cant cancel anymore.

Actually you can cancel your pre order or if it says something different on the box that would be false advertising or if you want to push it you could demand a refund if you payed with your visa card as a violation of visa terms of agreement they told you one thing and sold you something else can't do that to visa you can charge back based on that.

Vilmu
04-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Actually you can cancel your pre order or if it says something different on the box that would be false advertising or if you want to push it you could demand a refund if you payed with your visa card as a violation of visa terms of agreement they told you one thing and sold you something else can't do that to visa you can charge back based on that.

However, if you bought from steam i wouldn't advice charge back, because it's sure way to get your whole steam account banned.
Charge back is the last resort, and kinda is spit in the face of the retailer.

DustOfDeath
04-02-2013, 01:13 AM
i dont wanna bother with the chargebacks and crap... and im not gonna cancel it... but that doesnt mean that its OK to whithold important information if you are selling the product already.

StickyChief
04-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Can i still cancel if i haven't picked up my pre ordered copy yet?

DustOfDeath
04-02-2013, 01:22 AM
if its physical.. i guess you can always return it if you havent even opened it yet.

StickyChief
04-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Its just the card. Haven't gotten the physical copy of the game yet, but i have used the pre order code :/.

Raladur
04-02-2013, 01:31 AM
i believe it's ~100 players, per shard, in your immediate area... you will have enough room to move aroundm, you will have atleast some enemies to shoot at and challenge to be had.... but there will be always other players in the vincinity
world seems to be divided into pretty small areas, shard-wise, and for the mission sytem in the game it makes sense... mission progress is shared with other players in the mission area, and it would be absloultely insane if there were too many players around at the same time - there would be nothing left to kill and you would rush here complaining about too many players....

major arkfalls usually have 50+ players around, so dont see a problem there either...

zartanyen
04-02-2013, 01:48 AM
yes you can if your going to pick it up if it's from lets say amazon and is going to be delivered you just refuse to accept delivery.

zartanyen
04-02-2013, 02:05 AM
However, if you bought from steam i wouldn't advice charge back, because it's sure way to get your whole steam account banned.
Charge back is the last resort, and kinda is spit in the face of the retailer.

Don't know about steam do not use them kind of like sony PS3 where they will ban your account gone through this with them before when they banned my account went back 90 days and charged back everything all game they tried to keep that where not sony I fought them on the licencing rights as EA ,BETHESDA, ACTIVISION etc.etc. are the owners of the game and not sony their just the middle man and once I payed for it it was mine not theirs, also the banning of my online would again violate visa as my PS3 came advertised with online abilities take them away and false advertising, the advantage I had and have is I have the funds and the legal team to fight it out in court also I use the michigan consumers rights law 9/10 times as well which makes the company fight me in michigan not a court in a state of their choosing and michigan is hard on companies when it comes to their consumer rights laws most companies lose 9 out of 10 times when hit with that law and taken to court also if they lose not only do you get what you asked for and legal fees but most of the time their is a extra amount thrown on top of that, big companies like checksystem get hammered in michigan by that law most companies cringe when hearing that's what your suing them under and cut deals to avoid fighting you their I personally love it.

But most of the time if you threaten a company with it they usually just give you a refund like gamestop I might have to call my visa card and put them on speaker phone and start telling them I want to do a charge back the 2 times a manager has refused a refund or exchange and I did this the issued the exchange or refund right then and their most times corporate or the district manager took care of it, it might take a few phone calls but most of the time a store or company would rather issue a refund or exchange then face the possibility they lose you as a customer for good.

Shinji Ex
04-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Link or did not happen

Did some google and I keep reading up to thousand(s) players per server/world

Even the video diary states this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B82S0BbLvps#!

ddak
04-02-2013, 02:30 AM
The 100 limit is not as small as you think. I've been playing for several hours and there's always tons of people everywhere.

I'm guessing there's some fancy server magic when it comes to instances and how much of an area it really covers. I.e., I'm thinking the whole map isn't 1 instance, but possibly split up into several instances as you move across the map...something along those lines, although I could be wrong.

All I do know is that the world doesn't feel very empty at all, especially not the arkfalls.

Well I hardly ever see people outside of Arkfalls ever since I hit about 100+ ego, now where I am in the story I have about 200 ego and I no longer run into anyone on the quests.

HansKisaragi
04-02-2013, 02:35 AM
pretty sure they said the console version had 1000 player icon on the box

Serrot
04-02-2013, 02:47 AM
Well I hardly ever see people outside of Arkfalls ever since I hit about 100+ ego, now where I am in the story I have about 200 ego and I no longer run into anyone on the quests.

It is possible not many people have hit that high of ego yet though.

Raladur
04-02-2013, 02:53 AM
it's highly likely, because most of the players just recently started getting online... and 200+ ego rating that fast is only likely for the experienced alpha/beta testers.
also, you are probably on the regions of the world where there are no players yet ...even across all shards. :)

DustOfDeath
04-02-2013, 02:54 AM
thousands per SERVER.. but server is also split into "shards/ instances".

This early in the release and i barely see people around. What will it be in a week or a month?

No chat, few single random people, huge maps.... tell me... whys it called MMO again?

Max
04-02-2013, 02:56 AM
lol only 100 players per server and they cant even get the servers working correctly :s thats disappointing

DustOfDeath
04-02-2013, 03:03 AM
its nto per server.. its more like a instance - multiple instances per server.. .but 100 is still tiny.... xbox limitations are kicking in and screwing everyone it seems.

Max
04-02-2013, 03:05 AM
im still not even online and iv been waiting since the so called launch :L it still says the game hasnt launched yet

silvertemplar
04-02-2013, 03:05 AM

I don't get it, didn't you play beta? I'm pretty sure this 100 player limit is not implied as people think it is. It's most likely in an area, and if that's the case then it's pretty STANDARD in MMO worlds these days. Alot of MMOs , including everyone's favorite, GW2 does this. I mean GW2 has even more obvious population caps on areas , so much so that if there's remotely an event happening in a specific "instance" you will be placed in the ever popular "overflow" server!

Did everyone forget GW2 launch? How you would get out of the tutorial and be placed on another server entirely while in a queue for the instance your friends are in? What do you think the cap is on a GW2 "instance" ? I never even once saw more than 100 players in the PvE areas in a specific area. The WvWvW might have had more than 100, but you never saw them! Trust me if 100 players PvP'ed in GW2 in close area, you will not see anything. I know they've tweaked this recently, but my point is, i don't get why people have issues with this when all other MMOs have this?

Planetside 2 (which is more a MMOFPS) is the only game i saw that could truly pull this off, but then again it's a FPS with zero non player/PvE activities (NPCs, Mobs etc) which causes additional load on server etc. PS2 is Battlefield with a bigger zone. Defiance has Towns,NPCs,Quests,Arkfalls etc , things a game like PS2 does not have to account for.

Either way, i played the beta and i distinctly remember the starter zone flooded with players. I never once felt "boy where's all the people?" , so if 100 players is a limit in an area, then it seems to be sufficient for me to get the same MMO feeling i got in any other MMO i've played.

The limit will only mean that you most likely won't see a Stormwind / Oggrimar / Shattrath situation where everyone stand in front of the bank and the auction house in their hordes, spamming the channels like crazy.

This is why i fully expect a game like Elder Scrolls, absolutely -must- have these limits in place, otherwise no one will be able to run the game.