PDA

View Full Version : Why are infectors so popular (PVP)?

azzwozere
09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
now i'm not trolling, i dont play PVP that much, its not really my type of thing, though i AM enjoying Defiance for PVP, the only thing im wondering about is this:

why ARE infectors the weapon EVERYONE seems to use, i personally cant see why they're that special, against the AI at least, my AR, SMG and LMG do a much better job and quicker too, so why does everyone love them in PVP?

Valentine
09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
they don't have to aim so you can jump and shoot all day and it's really annoying >.<

If hitting someone did more damage they wouldn't be used as much =p

Holy Bahamut3
09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
now i'm not trolling, i dont play PVP that much, its not really my type of thing, though i AM enjoying Defiance for PVP, the only thing im wondering about is this:

why ARE infectors the weapon EVERYONE seems to use, i personally cant see why they're that special, against the AI at least, my AR, SMG and LMG do a much better job and quicker too, so why does everyone love them in PVP?

I cant speak for PVP as I don't play it, but as a collector of Infector's it is the go to gun in the Arena's and is one of the simplest to use. I imagine it is used as the go to gun in PVP because of those characters that halo jump, roll and hit and run. The bugs take the uncertainty out of the kill.

azzwozere
09-11-2013, 07:42 PM
so its a NOOB tactic then... thought so, as it makes your view REALLY limiting, and very hard to move properly, though that could me subconsiously thinking that by moving about it'll get them off...

so i should use them for the arena DLC if i get stuck?

Holy Bahamut3
09-11-2013, 07:51 PM
so its a NOOB tactic then... thought so, as it makes your view REALLY limiting, and very hard to move properly, though that could me subconsiously thinking that by moving about it'll get them off...

Yeah it keeps the multiplier up, when your shields and health drop swap to a siphon ar,smg,lmg. Best strategy ever.

Camelot
09-11-2013, 07:54 PM

before you say it's a noob thing.I want you to get an infectors then try using it in pvp.To me,a noob thing are those who always cloak all the time,then shotgun or big boomer you in the back.Cause they're too scared to shoot you face to face.All they know is how to hide in they're mommy pants lol.

Holy Bahamut3
09-11-2013, 08:02 PM
before you say it's a noob thing.I want you to get an infectors then try using it in pvp.To me,a noob thing are those who always cloak all the time,then shotgun or big boomer you in the back.Cause they're too scared to shoot you face to face.All they know is how to hide in they're mommy pants lol.

Hence why I don't play PVP.

Valentine
09-11-2013, 08:38 PM

But it's so much fun!!!! Sawn off shotgunning someone out of no where always makes me giggle xD

kasaitenma
09-11-2013, 08:57 PM

the majority of infector pvpers also use cloak so that makes you look like an idiot.

to answer the OP, infectors have no recoil or bloom like any other weapons. kinda make the recoil stock for infectors useless. plus the reticule has been set way to high for a shooter= large margin for error. there is alot of empty space when you target someone at effective ranges. its why i think they should make reticules smaller or cause reverse bloom where the reticule get progressively smaller when firing and add a recoil to infectors

Notturno
09-11-2013, 09:08 PM

I'll take a stab at this.

The primary objective in PvP is to win the match, with killing players being the most efficient avenue to this goal. Killing someone means you must do two things - you have to land hits and avoid their hits. In Defiance, there are a multitude of ways to better equip yourself to handle a fight, many of which I have covered in my PvP guide (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?122830-Introductory-PvP-Guide), but that's another story. Point being, this is a game of hitting and evading.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

The best way to achieve that goal is to evade and move as much as you can without getting hit. This means strafing, jumping, running, and rolling while attacking as much as you can. There are also other finer points to this strategy - run and reevaluate when you are losing, attack harder when you have the advantage, and so on. However, let's take this at face value, let's find the most efficient way to put this into practice.

So what are our options? We can take really hard hitting weapons like the SAW or a Carbine, but that leaves us very immobile! We can try a weapon like a Pistol, but that weapon requires very precise headshots! Shotguns fit the bill, but those are very susceptible to kiting! We need an option that fits a couple of criteria, as you can see:
We need to be able to be very mobile to evade other players.
We need something that will allow us to be reliably accurate while we dodge.
We need something that is versatile, giving us many options in many situations.

So we are left with this - what are the most efficient weapons that will fit this bill?
Infectors: Not subject to significant bloom or accuracy penalties, very minimal aim requirement. The Canker is the most popular variant because of its non-reliance on bugs.
SMGs: Not subject to any accuracy or bloom while moving. The Tachmag has the highest DPS potential due to its incredible fire rate.
Detonators: Based entirely on trajectory. Big Boomers are the most forgiving due to having the largest blast radius.

While there are obviously other options that can be effective in PvP, these are generally the most popular options. So, we are left with this question - why the Infector (or specifically the Canker)?

The Canker is the perfect option for the average player. It requires very little aiming finesse, since the weapon has "homing" bullets that apply its major damage source, which is its damage over time effect. It has a significant effective range and is not subject to any falloff damage. You can operate from roughly the effective distance of an assault rifle all the way up to point-blank shotgun range. Once you apply three infections, you are presented with several options - swap to a secondary weapon to inflict more damage, run away to regenerate, or dodge. The enemy has to make a critical choice, where they either attempt to kill you or roll the damage over time off. Either way, it places them at a disadvantage right off the bat.

So, let's summarize here:
Goal: Kill players.
Method: Damage while evading.
Choice: Canker.
Why?: Allows for maximum evasion potential, minimal aiming effort, effective results.
Result: Damage over time forces enemy rolling, which gives you more time to attack.

Infectors in general just give the average gamer more opportunity to survive - they are less reliant on aiming thus they can focus on staying alive. Other weapons are far more efficient choices, but they require much more finesse to properly utilize. To answer your question, it comes down to a simple matter of what is the most potent options with the least demands. In this case, it is Infectors.

Frozen
09-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah, a gun you don't have to aim... Anybody remember the Needler heydays of Halo, before the all the tweaks?

lil frier
09-12-2013, 01:05 AM
they're mommy pants

"They are mommy pants." What?

lil frier
09-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Yeah, a gun you don't have to aim... Anybody remember the Needler heydays of Halo, before the all the tweaks?

LOLWUT, they are still cake to use, Needlers. Reticle turns red, unload, die, and get a kill 3 seconds later.

Arran
09-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Blur & speed boost incenerator & speed boost nano fragger combined & them infector noooobs dont stand a chance. Soooo much fun killing at that speed aswel plus the melee perks as I love punching them out while their rolling off the flames :)

azzwozere
09-12-2013, 08:39 AM
woah, this is a LOT of information, and very good information at that, its certianly cleared things up for me, im going for my PVP trophies so i've gotten a pretty good idea on what to do and what NOT to do.

i've got the SMG mentioned, the one that fires all 55 bullets in about 2.5 seconds... i can see why that is a good gun, i love it against the volge, aw did the big nasty alien get a FACE FULL BULLETS!

thanks for the help, its cleared up a lot of things for me :)

Justified
09-12-2013, 08:54 AM
The Canker is the perfect option for the average player. It requires very little aiming finesse, since the weapon has "homing" bullets that apply its major damage source, which is its damage over time effect. It has a significant effective range and is not subject to any falloff damage. You can operate from roughly the effective distance of an assault rifle all the way up to point-blank shotgun range. Once you apply three infections, you are presented with several options - swap to a secondary weapon to inflict more damage, run away to regenerate, or dodge. The enemy has to make a critical choice, where they either attempt to kill you or roll the damage over time off. Either way, it places them at a disadvantage right off the bat.

So, let's summarize here:
Goal: Kill players.
Method: Damage while evading.
Choice: Canker.
Why?: Allows for maximum evasion potential, minimal aiming effort, effective results.
Result: Damage over time forces enemy rolling, which gives you more time to attack.

Infectors in general just give the average gamer more opportunity to survive - they are less reliant on aiming thus they can focus on staying alive. Other weapons are far more efficient choices, but they require much more finesse to properly utilize. To answer your question, it comes down to a simple matter of what is the most potent options with the least demands. In this case, it is Infectors.

You forgot 2 more things that make infectors the 'easy mode' weapon of choice. It has a huge cache of ammo. Unlike shotguns, grenade launchers, and rocket launchers, infectors have a large ammo pool. You don't need to run to the ammo crate every 5 minutes to refill. Try doing that with a grenade launcher. The other thing is the needles can stick to cloaked players, which effectively negates their cloak. People spam infectors and if they hit something, they just point in that general direction and unload. I'd say aim, but that would be giving too much credit to the infectors.

Wholly Fodder
09-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Cloak + sludge cannon + canker ftw :-)

Magick
09-12-2013, 01:07 PM
You forgot 2 more things that make infectors the 'easy mode' weapon of choice. It has a huge cache of ammo. Unlike shotguns, grenade launchers, and rocket launchers, infectors have a large ammo pool. You don't need to run to the ammo crate every 5 minutes to refill. Try doing that with a grenade launcher. The other thing is the needles can stick to cloaked players, which effectively negates their cloak. People spam infectors and if they hit something, they just point in that general direction and unload. I'd say aim, but that would be giving too much credit to the infectors.

This is exactly why. I hate cloakers, If I wanted to play Crysis I would play that.

chilipino
09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
There is also the screen shaking and visual impairment that hampers the victim's aim.

Tyger
09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Yea but if you take away the cloak you'll still have the infector complaints. With or without the Ego power the weapon is still 'bleh'.

Notturno
09-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Yea but if you take away the cloak you'll still have the infector complaints. With or without the Ego power the weapon is still 'bleh'.

I would agree with this assessment. Cankers can be annoying with Cloak, Blur, or Decoy. However, the weapon's secondary damage sources (read: non-needle) are not impacted by Overcharge. Regardless, the weapon does not need an EGO power to present its current issues. This is the antithesis of a weapon like the Courier, which is typically only seen as "overpowered" when used in conjunction with Cloak.