PDA

View Full Version : What guns do the devs consider balanced?

Valentine
09-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I think we need to set some bars so we can shoot for balancing guns around those, each in their own unique way =)

Like reload times, damage, accuracy, recoil, falloff and fire rates and whether those are high, medium or low for each. This way we can see what needs to be done ^^

Valentine
09-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Feel free to post on what you feel is a fair bar to set for each gun class =D

Notturno
09-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Honestly, I felt the old FRC SAW was an exceptionally balanced weapon. Hear me out on this one.

The FRC SAW required you to crouch and aim to reach maximum effectiveness. This is an easy feat to accomplish in PvE, since there are generally zero encounters that place any pressure on you in terms of mobility. The reason people were able to maximize the potential of the SAW was because they had no pressure to move, which mitigates the weapon's DPS potential.

Take a look at PvP - nobody there thought the weapon was overpowered. Why is this? Because a player knows how to pressure another player - damage, forcing combat rolls with damage over time, or kiting. The weapon was able to excel in situations where the user was left free to operate without restriction. For anyone on PC-NA, if you ever saw Vilelent play that was an exceptional display of what that weapon is capable of.

Instead of applying more pressure to players, the weapon was just straight neutered. It was not the optimal choice, but the easiest considering programming new AI is probably a ton of work compared to simply altering a damage variable. :)

As for other weapons, I think the VBI Assault Rifle, VOT Pulser, and old FRC SAW are great baselines to use for balancing. I believe there is not a single balanced Infector because they are too potent considering the minimal effort required to aim them. I believe the homing needles need to go in favor of aimed-only homing. I think the FRC Scattergun is a great shotgun to balance around as well. I'm also quite fond of the VBI Sniper Rifle and FRC Bolt Action Repeater - the other models are inferior because they offer less headshot damage.

Overall, I think we have some very good quality weapons available. The less potent options are well designed, they just need increased DPS potential to place them on par with the more popular choices.

Kaiselius
09-13-2013, 10:12 PM
The ones so sucky, no one uses them.
They'll just continue to nerf the ones people actually use till there is no difference between the sucky ones and the good ones.

InfamousBrad
09-14-2013, 06:08 AM
I don't know if I can find a link quickly, but I remember that the last time Trick was on the webcast he said that their current benchmark weapons are the FRC SAW and the VBI Assault Rifle, that any weapon that under-performs those will be buffed. But he did say not to get your hopes up for the BMGs to be done any time soon, because they're not sure what they want to do with them.

Valentine
09-14-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't know if I can find a link quickly, but I remember that the last time Trick was on the webcast he said that their current benchmark weapons are the FRC SAW and the VBI Assault Rifle, that any weapon that under-performs those will be buffed. But he did say not to get your hopes up for the BMGs to be done any time soon, because they're not sure what they want to do with them.

Did he mention any benchmarks for pistols, smgs or snipers? And I guess he said that after the Saw got nerfed xD

August Barkley
09-14-2013, 05:04 PM
The Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)?

Spiltmilk
09-14-2013, 05:15 PM
I know some aren't able to access the Dev Tracker, but this post by TrickDempsey might answer your question.

Weapon balance - TrickDempsey (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?131308-PSA-to-BMG-users-during-Sieges&p=1248384&viewfull=1#post1248384)

J_matt
09-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Well he did mention some pistols will be buffed

hardy83
09-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I also hope they take a pass at the levelling difficulty of some of the weapons.
Some weapons level FAAAR faster than other, and some are painfully slow to level like the BMG.

pooch83
09-14-2013, 06:02 PM
none of them are. they will keep nurfing EVERYTHING, even the blades. eventually all guns will have 4dmg max.

InfamousBrad
09-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Did he mention any benchmarks for pistols, smgs or snipers? And I guess he said that after the Saw got nerfed xD

They have not. Which could mean, in theory, that any or all of them could get buffed. But, y'know, here's the real rule of thumb. Think of all the weapons that nobody uses because they're lame. Think of all the weapons nobody uses because there's nothing you can do with them that you can't do faster with a SAW or a VBI Assault Rifle. Those are the weapons that are probably going to get buffed. You see the occasional Vot Surge Bolter, you see a lot of VBI Ground Pounder GL-1s, you see a lot of Vot Pulsers, so those probably aren't getting buffed. You don't see almost any pistols, you see bolt-action rifles used only situationally and them less and less, you see almost no shotguns, so those are, based on what they've said, the weapons that are going to be buffed.

No timetable as to when, of course, which means who knows even if it'll ever get done. But that's what Trick has said: if people would rather just use a SAW or a VBI A/R for everything, then those are the only two weapons that aren't getting buffed.