PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid of cheaters in Defiance?

DomuS
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
One of the leading cheating websites is already considering releasing a "framework" for Defiance.

The fact that Defiance is a MMOTPS with RPG elements -in my words-, it makes the game more delicate compared to any other MMORPG games out there.

I have seen teleport and speed hacks, bots etc in other MMOs, but an ESP/Aimbot is the kryptonite of games.

I know what you are thinking, "The game isn't released yet and you are already worried about cheaters?" Yes, i am. Also you need to be. I have seen games fail because of this.

Let's take it serious and prevent same thing happening here.

Aaricane
01-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Luckily this isn't Trions first rodeo. I think they will have safe guards up for this type of thing.
And if something does come to happen, they will deal with it swiftly i'm sure.

killerbee04x
01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
YES. I hate FARMERS..... BAN THEM ALL NOW....

DomuS
01-22-2013, 09:29 PM
YES. I hate FARMERS..... BAN THEM ALL NOW....

It is way more serious then farming/botting.

Luckily this isn't Trions first rodeo. I think they will have safe guards up for this type of thing.

Yeah, i have no doubt Trion will interfere. But still a heads up wouldn't hurt, so they would be ready for it. Not saying they aren't yet, probably they are. Better to be safe then sorry.

Some checks for accuracy/bullethits, range calculations and ingame moderation etc would be cool besides a good anticheat.

Escyos
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Not really afraid. Seeing as only a fraction of gameplay is against other characters and most is against NPC's etc.

I'm more worried about the use of words such as "noob" and "pwn". I intend to sever all ties with people who use those words.

Terra
01-23-2013, 12:35 AM
One of the leading cheating websites is already considering releasing a "framework" for Defiance.

The fact that Defiance is a MMOTPS with RPG elements -in my words-, it makes the game more delicate compared to any other MMORPG games out there.

I have seen teleport and speed hacks, bots etc in other MMOs, but an ESP/Aimbot is the kryptonite of games.

I know what you are thinking, "The game isn't released yet and you are already worried about cheaters?" Yes, i am. Also you need to be. I have seen games fail because of this.

I don't know how we as players can prevent anything but reporting websites, which I assume you already did. But even then people are human and cheaters the dredge of the gaming community. The 'script' farming will happen, exploits will be exploited, and people will be lazy and cheat. Sadly its the same as people taking advantage of wellfare with no intent to better themselves, people are people.

That said, apparently there is already a sort of aimbot/aim assist that has been talked about on the forums to help players aim for heads. If that is true I wonder how you would be able to spot an actual aimbot?

shoudra
01-23-2013, 01:09 AM
Aion has always had this problem since release, hopefully if they can nip this quick it will hopefully set the precedent to keep cheaters from cheating and hopefully get the community to police itself and report the bots!

killerbee04x
01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
xbox live should sue every asian farmer and EU farmer.. then ban them for life plus NDA them... never leave a stone unturned with Farmers and bots..

NLRikkert
01-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Cheating and hacking are always an issue in any multiplayer game, but as said above I'm certain Trion tries to keep up with them.
Either way the only viable options as of hacks in a shooter would be stuff like uber dmg, godmode and infinite ammo, though we should pay just as much attention to glitchers/exploiters. All of these are (quite) easily identified, we as a community just have to pay attention and spot the cheaters and hackers.

DomuS
01-23-2013, 05:39 AM
I am a veteran CoD player and officer of one of the top CoD clans in Turkey so i experienced throughly that aimbot/ESP is a real fun killer.
Some of you will be playing the game on consoles and probably never played against an aimbotter before, This time you may be facing them so it's kinda a new ground both for Trion and the huge portion of playerbase.

I don't know how we as players can prevent anything but reporting websites, which I assume you already did. But even then people are human and cheaters the dredge of the gaming community. The 'script' farming will happen, exploits will be exploited, and people will be lazy and cheat. Sadly its the same as people taking advantage of wellfare with no intent to better themselves, people are people.

That said, apparently there is already a sort of aimbot/aim assist that has been talked about on the forums to help players aim for heads. If that is true I wonder how you would be able to spot an actual aimbot?

Ever heard of term TTK? It means Time To Kill. Aimbotters will have a very low TTK and you will be dead in the blink of an eye before you can even notice them. We don't really need to spot them, being suspicious and reporting them is all we need to do i guess. Rest is up to Triont detecting them checking logs/stats for their accuracy k/d ratios etc.

Aaricane
01-23-2013, 06:32 AM
I don't care much for bot xp farming really. I care more about how quickly they can kill me.
If they only farm for xp using bots, then i really don't care.

Jim1066
03-31-2013, 05:21 PM
If you're interested in the PvP side of things then yes aim bots or speed hacks will be a problem. In a PvE setting they become less of a problem. If someone is using some form of hack at a mission you are running, it's not like he's kill stealing. As long as you're both in the area the mission progresses anyway. In any case I'm pretty sure Trion will be looking for these kinds of things and will hopefully take swift action.

I don't see a scenario where we'll see a lot of bots farming. For one thing the game isn't really gear based to the extent that other MMO's are. Also, I don't see there being much need for purchasing currency. The only thing you're going to want is a few vehicles and they're not that expensive. Scrip isn't that hard to come by.

Report anything suspicious and I think we'll be ok.

Major Nelson
03-31-2013, 05:27 PM

this is more for pc than consoles and they have more control over pc too so know not really

Defy
03-31-2013, 06:05 PM
like in any game there will be some cheaters i dont care am sure trion will watch those

Ambic
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
I agree. After several discussions on this matter, I've come to the conclusion: 99% of the gameplay is co-op or PvE related. If they want to aimbot, then thanks for helping my group. Don't worry though, I will be doing a lot of streaming and videos on a dedicated server, so I will have proof constantly rolling and will report those who violate the rules of the game.

Shismar
03-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Movement and hits are hopefully server side. Including LoS. So that leaves aim bots and automation. Neither make much sense in the PvE environment. As I don't care about PvP, I expect any possible hacks to have no influence on my gaming experience.

FantasyMeister
03-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Movement and hits are hopefully server side. Including LoS. So that leaves aim bots and automation. Neither make much sense in the PvE environment. As I don't care about PvP, I expect any possible hacks to have no influence on my gaming experience.

I used to think that way, but after years of MMO experience it starts to get rather annoying when you discover that you've spent 3 years grinding for the same item that someone just pushed a button to get instantly. But I can live with it I guess, and it's not usually so bad on consoles.

Having said that, in FFXI farmers managed to ruin the economy on some servers overnight (albeit that was totally cross platform), but even on Phantasy Star Universe the XBox 360 grinder and machine gun glitches were incredibly annoying.

Amnesia
03-31-2013, 06:24 PM
I have seen teleport and speed hacks, bots etc in other MMOs, but an ESP/Aimbot is the kryptonite of games.You're talking about PvP/ShadowWar, right?

I can't see why any exploits, etc would bother anyone in the main game.

TheShiningLily
03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
The game practically aims for you so I don't see what the issue really is :-P

LordsOfSkulls
03-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Honestly not too worried it be hard to create xp bot which won't be worth it. Also most xp is going to be so much better from pvp ark and micssions that bots will fall fat behind. Not to mention it be harder a d pointless to use auto aim bot since most people will use homing rockets

LadyChaos
03-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Veteran PC/MMO players and more avidly veteran game-makers have been exposed to and ever countering the issues of cheating/exploiting since before many a gamer on this forum likely picked up a keyboard.

What DOES ruin everything is when people get a good streak or are just naturally talented and have to listen to every spoiled brat denounce them as a cheater, or how "cheap" their move was or how their class now needs to be nerfed. I know this is a little more harsh than usual but the % of cheaters is smaller than the % of valuable members of the community and we should focus on that more than stirring up "witch" hunts.. IMO.

Many of the popular software that is used to catch aimbots and the like, trigger as many false positives as they catch cheaters making the game so annoying you'd rather play something else. Let the dev team handle exploiters and report exploit finds privately not publicly and that's the best that any of us should aim do IMO.

I'm not worried about cheaters, they have been there ever since we learned how to play checkers or monopoly... they arn't going anywhere, all I can do is not be one.

Hetros
03-31-2013, 06:49 PM
They actually showed off some Aim Bot hunting programs at GDC Play this year at the 2013 Game Developer's Conference. I can't imagine that Trion won't take advantage of that technology.

Xtheoneandonly
03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
I can imagine that they won't use those. If the software was shown off, you can sure bet that it clued the cheat companies in on what the software looks for (specifically) and that they then started designing workarounds... You never want to "show off" security software...it's bad business.

Narq
06-02-2013, 07:15 AM
I can imagine that they won't use those. If the software was shown off, you can sure bet that it clued the cheat companies in on what the software looks for (specifically) and that they then started designing workarounds... You never want to "show off" security software...it's bad business.

Well, they weren't 'showing it off' at ComicCon or E3, it was being demonstrated at GDC. If you want to sell your game-related product to game developers, then that's what you do. That's good business.

The hackers don't need public displays of software to work their black magic anyway.

Doomsaw
06-02-2013, 10:57 AM

lulz.

10char

Ashlocke
06-02-2013, 11:38 AM
I can't see why any exploits, etc would bother anyone in the main game.

I used to think this way as well, and for the most part I still do.
But lately I've been at several arkfalls and a few times I've lined up my weapon about to shoot up a full health hellbug warrior only to see it instantly killed.

While I am of the personal opinion that this doesn't affect me during most of my game play because A) I don't do PvP, ever. And B) I play solo and run through the game missions and public quests solo etc. I am affected by this when I show up to arkfalls where someone is one shot killing mobs and I was even at an arkfall where I saw a Crystal go from full health to destroyed in under 5 seconds. I have to say, that was very much not fun.

I don't really have any suggestion on dealing with cheaters I tend to let my wallet speak for me. If something like this gets to a point where it begins to noticably impact my leasure time and Defiance is no longer fun to play I will move on and I will send them a courteous email explaining why. It will be up to TRION to decide if enough people are affected by this problem to put time and resources into fixing things.