PDA

View Full Version : Why an AH would be perfect now, like, right now.

Chevota
09-17-2013, 09:53 AM
I know... An AH is always in the plans potentially but gets de-prioritized, this has been mentioned many times. But here's why this is a PERFECT time to add one to the game and give us SOMETHING while we wait around on other games for something decent to happen.

Reason to play. Easier weapon movement/trade. Forum clean-up leading to a much clearer forums.

~ I would have a reason to pop in the game for more reason then to just PvP Rep grind. That single grind i have left is killing my drive to play after a few games (im not going into my usual PvP sucks rant, sorry)... An AH would push people to Arkfalls to gather Salvage and weapons to sell them, which leads to the next point.

~ Using an AH to sell weapons is so much easier then forums/in-game chat. There is always a question during the sale, ALWAYS. And then eventually its "Can i see it?". With an AH the gun is there at the buyer's leisure. There no hassle, no haggling, no getting scammed... Yes it does encourage more anonymity but, adding someone for 5 mins to sell them a gun then delete them isnt a "Social experience". When you buy groceries, small-talking the cashier is 99 out of 100 times NOT a social experience (unless you know them, or are trying to get to know them for other reasons)...

~ An AH would clear out an entire section of the forums, that has probably the majority of the posts... Lets do a quick check, hit New Posts, and count Trade posts. i count 13 out of 25 are Trades (and thats even with someone trolling around)... An AH clears out all 6 Trade Sections from the forums... Yeah, so?... Well, just think of how many more answers we could get from Devs, or how many real conversations wouldnt get lost in the forums. The condensed forums would have a major impact on more people getting involved in Game Discussions, not just game trading. Posts wouldnt get "bumped" every 10 minutes from sellers, bumping down conversations that only people are already in, know about... (After posting, its now 18 of 25 posts for Trades, again though someone else is posting in an odd way)

Yes its all personal opinion, but i think its a better way of player-to-player trading. That or the Vendors simply need a boost in what they offer for weapons and mods. It really is quite pathetic on the Buy prices of vendors, so we are forced to player-trade... And thats the real issue in the end... "Forcing" people to trade.

Elastik Spastik
09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I want an AH APACHE HELICOTPER so I can bring death from the skies. Really wish we had aircraft.

Lasse B
09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
We'd also need to be able to choose whether we want to sell gear for scrip or for ark salvage. Or both.

Ned Ludd
09-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I definitely would like to see some sort of AH system in the game. I think it should be exclusively scrip-based though; that seems to be the way that most trades go down currently and salvage is so easy to come by that the option to sell items for it would be immaterial.

Rasilon
09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeh I wish they would put this in. My inventory is getting overloaded with Oranges. We can't even send them to an alt.

Dana Dawn
09-17-2013, 11:12 AM
An auction house would be nice, but an auction house is best for buying and selling commodities. I believe the game should go in the direction of EVE Online with regards to loot drops, crafting, markets and contracts.

In EVE Online the only weapons that drop from npc are in a way special and can't be crafted directly by players. They can be used as ingredients for expensive T2 weapons. The drop rate for those weapons is rather low, and it needs to be a lot lower compared to now.

Mobs and especially ark falls should drop different kinds of ark salvage which are the main ingredients for crafting things: Weapons, ammo, mods, transportation. To make things you need to buy blue prints from npcs. These weapons, ammo, mods and transportation are completely standard/commodity items which can be sold and bought on the market.

Crafting of components can make it more interesting, where you first need to create other components needed to create the end weapon or mod.

The different kinds of salvage that drop should be spread around by location, mob type, content type. So certain types of salvage drops more when doing co-ops, others more on doing ark-falls in san fransico. However salvage should not be completely specific to one type of content or location, it may be a lot rarer in normal content.

The market needs to allow for both buy and sell orders to stay in the market. The top 10 prices and volumes on both buy and sell side should be shown. The market should always trade against the best price available, just like modern real live exchanges. This allows better and faster price discovery and therefor a healthy market.

Special weapons that drop from mobs, or weapons that are already modded can not be sold on the commodity market because they are too specific. Instead they can be sold on the contract market, here people can sell anything they want, a single item or multiple items, special items, etc. You can also make buy contracts if you want to buy certain amounts of salvage of different types.

It would be very interesting if objects could be destructed so that you will need to acquire a new weapons or so. This would keep the money rolling.

I suggest the developers who design an auction house / player economy and other things, to find a person at Trion who has played eve online for while.

Itaalh Itchak
09-17-2013, 12:22 PM
+10 000 for an AH in game ! (without RMA like diablo III of course)

chilipino
09-17-2013, 02:43 PM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/

Wizx13
09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
A simple terminal vendor with a searchable database at each of the fast travels that would hold like 10 items per account would be great. Kinda like the old city/outpost public vendors in SWG.

Chevota
09-17-2013, 05:29 PM
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/

With all due respect isnt that intensely different? The Gold and Real-world money AH's were REAL MONEY. The AH wasnt a means to sell your gear you got in D3 for money in D3. You used the gear to make real money. And also bought your Gold with real money to buy items in game, but i may or may not be correct on that... What i mean is, it seems people werent using the game to trade, but to more literally, earn cash IRL from the game. And that should NEVER be an option. Granted it sounds nice in theory, break down Gold selling sites, but it probably wasnt working since they (Blizzard) took a chunk from ea sale.

I mean for a strict, Item for Scrip / Scrip for Item AH. Or at least a valuable Vendor system to make a base amount for Oranges, that isnt a slap in the face... Hell, honestly, if the Vendors bought Oranges for even 50K ea, id probably Vendor any gun i did use, or know someone personally that used it. I would probably never Person-to-person trade.

They could still have peronal reserves on items too, so its not like the NA/360 version would even feel an effect tbh. Poeple would still just ask for stupid high reserves. I just find the Forums too cluttered with Trades and Zone Chat all about Trades... Id go count Trade vs. Any other topic again on New Posts but im on 360 IE, and im going to play Diablo 3... or even some random Def PvP, who knows where the dice lands... Odds vs Evens! RAAAAAAAH

chilipino
09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
With all due respect isnt that intensely different?

From the article:

"But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot."

The only difference with Defiance is that there is one level of indirection via Key Codes. But, fundamentally, it's a very similar reward loop.

ironcladtrash
09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
From the article:

"But as we've mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot."

The only difference with Defiance is that there is one level of indirection via Key Codes. But, fundamentally, it's a very similar reward loop.

Does Diablo 3 also have an awful loot system though? (I haven't played it.) If I hadn't gotten a bunch legendary weapons that were garbage I could understand the point of view in that article. Right now the best stuff I have gotten was from actively seeking trades, and would rather just use an auction house.

chilipino
09-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Does Diablo 3 also have an awful loot system though? (I haven't played it.) If I hadn't gotten a bunch legendary weapons that were garbage I could understand the point of view in that article. Right now the best stuff I have gotten was from actively seeking trades, and would rather just use an auction house.

Bad loot aside (which can be fixed), it's still the same core reward loop at a game design perspective.

ironcladtrash
09-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Bad loot aside (which can be fixed), it's still the same core reward loop at a game design perspective.

I saw they posted the loot system is finally slated to be fixed for legendaries. I hope so because it's one of the things burning me out on this game now.

However as long as trading is available in game isn't that essentially the same purpose as an auction house? It's just making the process more painfull, a lot of the trading posts are auctions.

Chevota
09-17-2013, 08:45 PM
What i meant in difference is: in this form of AH it would be, you get that item from say, a Lockbox or Reward, then put it in the AH for Scrip/Salvage.

In D3 i assume you can pay say: $10 for X-Item? or pay $10 to get X-amount of gold?... Sounds almost completely different to me in this proposed AH...

The only grey area is, people buy Lockboxes with real money. So you'd technically be spending whatever on Bits, to chance an item for Scrip. But you are only spending $, not recieving. So the AH is quite different on the cash flow front... It would hurt the "Kill monsters to get loot" but then again we dont get Purps/Oranges from monsters so, its truely not affected. PvP would where the game got hurt id say. People would be able to build thier loadout much easier.

And if the arguement is it encourages Black Market sales, well, that already happens i would guess. Then again i dont think Defiance has a high influence in Asia.

Btw, because Im stupidly entertained by it now... 20 of 25 topics are Trades. and that includes This topic before this part got edited in (Yes, i realize its late and people arent as chatty/discussive/argumentative, whichever youd like to choose lol). Can we agree that 20 more topics of Game-related discussion of any sort would be better then Trades?

chilipino
09-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I saw they posted the loot system is finally slated to be fixed for legendaries. I hope so because it's one of the things burning me out on this game now.

However as long as trading is available in game isn't that essentially the same purpose as an auction house? It's just making the process more painfull, a lot of the trading posts are auctions.

I hear ya. I'm barely hanging on myself. The effort/reward ratio is out of whack and there are days that I feel like I'm "stuck" in a bad relationship :P

That was Blizzard's original reason for the AH: make it easier and more secure for people to trade. It makes sense on the surface. What happened, however, was that it disenfranchised that actual game itself. Once you buy that epic weapon off the AH (for in-game currency or real $... makes no difference really) you're presented an epiphany: why keep playing if I can just buy the best stuff? That's when the "magic" of the game disappears.

lokiscamaro
09-17-2013, 09:25 PM
this is not the first time this has been brought up, ive started my own short lived thread on this as well. not to mention countless others who have voiced the same opinion. this is definately something dahenese should put on the list whilst the Devs are doing this whole"improved community relations" thing.

chilipino
09-17-2013, 09:26 PM
What i meant in difference is: in this form of AH it would be, you get that item from say, a Lockbox or Reward, then put it in the AH for Scrip/Salvage.

In D3 i assume you can pay say: $10 for X-Item? or pay $10 to get X-amount of gold?... Sounds almost completely different to me in this proposed AH...

The only grey area is, people buy Lockboxes with real money. So you'd technically be spending whatever on Bits, to chance an item for Scrip. But you are only spending $, not recieving. So the AH is quite different on the cash flow front... It would hurt the "Kill monsters to get loot" but then again we dont get Purps/Oranges from monsters so, its truely not affected. PvP would where the game got hurt id say. People would be able to build thier loadout much easier.

And if the arguement is it encourages Black Market sales, well, that already happens i would guess. Then again i dont think Defiance has a high influence in Asia.

Btw, because Im stupidly entertained by it now... 20 of 25 topics are Trades. and that includes This topic before this part got edited in (Yes, i realize its late and people arent as chatty/discussive/argumentative, whichever youd like to choose lol). Can we agree that 20 more topics of Game-related discussion of any sort would be better then Trades?

As per my reply to Ironcladtrash above... the AH in D3 invalidated the reason for playing D3 to begin with. The moment you can buy uber gear is the moment you no longer have the motivation to play the game to get better gear. It's a short-circuit of the core reward system that the entire game is built upon.

Ned Ludd
09-17-2013, 10:19 PM
As per my reply to Ironcladtrash above... the AH in D3 invalidated the reason for playing D3 to begin with. The moment you can buy uber gear is the moment you no longer have the motivation to play the game to get better gear. It's a short-circuit of the core reward system that the entire game is built upon.
That makes sense, and is definitely something I've experienced before (in several games), personally. Kind of irrelevant in this situation, though; you can still buy your 'uber' gear in Defiance. You just have to hope it's posted in one of the trade threads.

Lasse B
09-18-2013, 12:46 AM
I think it should be exclusively scrip-based though; that seems to be the way that most trades go down currently and salvage is so easy to come by that the option to sell items for it would be immaterial.

There aren't a whole lot of things to spend tons of scrip on, other than trades between players, and that is only because there's no way to use ark salvage as a means of payment among players in the first place.

Ark salvage is used in everything related to weapon mods, is used for the turrets in Volge sieges, and can be spent by the millions to buy lockboxes. That IMHO makes ark salvage the much more versatile and valuable currency that I'm sure lots of players would use for trading if only it was possible to do so. Although it is not an official currency, players shouldn't be prevented from using ark salvage to pay in kind.

I would however up the ark salvage requirements for weapon modding. Not to what it was not too long ago, but to something that's like 5 times higher than what it is now.

I'd also love to see crafting, where again ark salvage could play a major role simply as a raw material to construct certain things from.

Elastik Spastik
09-18-2013, 02:39 AM
I think we should have a real auction house at certain times. Where players can put up to two items on display for all to see and have a time limit. Once its over you go into another room where each item is sold in turn by an auctioneer. Starting at 10000 scrip here going for 10000 scrip oh 15000 scrip to that chap any advances on 15000 going once going twice SOLD. And everyone in the room is trying to outbid for the best kit. Just like real life auctions.

Falandarin
09-18-2013, 06:02 AM
+10 000 for an AH in game ! (without RMA like diablo III of course)

Diablo III is doing away with both auction houses in March 2014.
That being said, I'd like to see one here as well.

Jolene
09-18-2013, 06:16 AM
While I think an AH would be great I'd rather see the PS3 disconnection issues resolved first.

Chevota
09-18-2013, 08:01 AM
While I think an AH would be great I'd rather see the PS3 disconnection issues resolved first.

Absolutely, all major issues are being focused on... Thats why there isnt even talk of an AH being put in by the Devs. As I first said, AH discussions get de-prioritized because there are issues way more advanced. Those who speak on Trion's behalf have said so on the Livestream (not sure which of the 2 and i dont want to point fingers, s'not nice).

I just think if it were to happen, now would be an awesome time. Thats it.

Justified
09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Nothing else has worked right out of the box in this game. If they implement an AH, they need to do extensive testing before release. I can imagine the kind of rage people would have if items or scrip got lost in a transaction.