PDA

View Full Version : And the winner of the cross over to the show is....

Skatch
09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5IrpYAH58IQ

Congratulations to Alethia(SP)! We at www.KtamRadio.com would love to have you come on the air, and do a short interview about having your character on the show. Please feel free to contact us at info@ktamradio.com!

Again Gratz, and look forward t hearing from you.

PS: If anyone here knows our winner please let them know KTAM is looking for them!

HELLS
09-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Congratulations to Alethia(SP)! We at www.KtamRadio.com would love to have you come on the air, and do a short interview about having your character on the show. Please feel free to contact us at info@ktamradio.com!

PS: If anyone here knows our winner please let them know KTAM is looking for them!
Skatch made a boo boo

Beck
09-18-2013, 05:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrpYAH58IQ

This video is unlisted, only those with the link can see it.

Question: Why is this not a big deal? This should be a listed video, with some actual production value to it, not a grubby looking producer who looks like he got ambushed into doing a video.

I am starting to wonder how legit this contest was and how real this person is who won. It doesn't add up when you think about how a big deal of a deal this should be.

K-TAM has also been in contact with about half of the contestants. Some we couldn't find or get a hold of, including this winner, who barely made the top 5.

Also a lot of pages have been pulled in regards of this contest, making it hard for anyone to check figures and so on. The winner had about 10% of the votes of the highest voted player Ka-Tala. The community was asked to participate, they did and overwhelmingly picked their choice with almost 1000 votes, where as Alethia barely got over 100 votes from the community. The runner up was over 600 votes. This is a huge difference, it doesn't make sense to pick one of the least voted people as a winner when your premise for the contest was community involvement.

Just sayin' Nothing against Alethia, just looking at the numbers. Ron Paul might have had the most support, but Mit Romney got elected to represent the Republicans and from there Obama won by the numbers.

Punisher Illinois Blue
09-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Dear sir I did not know their was a contest to have our characters be in the show. Is their any chance you could have another contest? I am sure my character would win, you see he is The Punisher\Frank Castle of the Defiance universe. He wanders the wilderness and cities righting wrongs. He was a Shadow Operative from the Illinois unit during the Pale Wars. It was not the War that changed him but what came after... It was the Earth Republic, they took his family from him and his life because he would not follow their orders to harm innocent beings.

Seeing now that their is no way to expect a corrupt organization to bring true justice and piece to the survivors on earth he "Frank" has taken on the burdon him self. To all he meets he is known as The Punisher, Skull, Raiders Bane, The Grim Reaper, but once in a full blue moon the name Frank may be heard.

The combination of his training, experience, weapons, and resolve have made him a frightining nightmare to Erep Raiders and underworld Mafia crime familes a like.

Skatch
09-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Dear sir I did not know their was a contest to have our characters be in the show. Is their any chance you could have another contest?

You would have to ask SyFy/Trion. www.KtamRadio.com did not hold the contest!

HELLS
09-18-2013, 06:21 PM
You would have to ask SyFy/Trion. www.KtamRadio.com did not hold the contest!

Although if you ask really really nicely you can be on the radio. If you ask skatch or beck

dude26212
09-18-2013, 06:32 PM

This video is unlisted, only those with the link can see it.

Question: Why is this not a big deal? This should be a listed video, with some actual production value to it, not a grubby looking producer who looks like he got ambushed into doing a video.

I am starting to wonder how legit this contest was and how real this person is who won. It doesn't add up when you think about how a big deal of a deal this should be.

K-TAM has also been in contact with about half of the contestants. Some we couldn't find or get a hold of, including this winner, who barely made the top 5.

Also a lot of pages have been pulled in regards of this contest, making it hard for anyone to check figures and so on. The winner had about 10% of the votes of the highest voted player Ka-Tala. The community was asked to participate, they did and overwhelmingly picked their choice with almost 1000 votes, where as Alethia barely got over 100 votes from the community. The runner up was over 600 votes. This is a huge difference, it doesn't make sense to pick one of the least voted people as a winner when your premise for the contest was community involvement.

Just sayin' Nothing against Alethia, just looking at the numbers. Ron Paul might have had the most support, but Mit Romney got elected to represent the Republicans and from there Obama won by the numbers.

the reason this person won is cause the winner is chosen from the top 5 by Kevin Murphy not the the community. http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/07/08/play-the-game-join-the-show/ been that way since july

edit: basicly they choose the one the show thinks they can work with best story wise. other wise you could end up with an uninteresting character that is there only cause he had alot of friends (not saying thats what happened, but it would make sense to make that a rule)

HELLS
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM
the reason this person won is cause the winner is chosen from the top 5 by Kevin Murphy not the the community. http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/07/08/play-the-game-join-the-show/ been that way since july

edit: basicly they choose the one the show thinks they can work with best story wise. other wise you could end up with an uninteresting character that is there only cause he had alot of friends (not saying thats what happened, but it would make sense to make that a rule)

As many votes that took place on fb the was a clear fan winner that should have be taken into some sort of consideration.

Beck
09-18-2013, 06:39 PM

I understand that, but when you have a run-a-way winner it is a bit of a slap in the face to the community to disregard the majority vote, and overwhelming majority vote. Why not pick one of the two leaders? First and Second were a few hundred votes apart. Also when you look at the back stories of the top 5 the one who won made the least sense over all as compared to the over all winner which had a much more fluid story that would seem to be the best blending of the Bay Area with the TV show's Defiance. Not that I am rooting for anyone. I voted for Castor Vega because he was a long time supporter of K-TAM and he was in last place over all. I don't have a horse in the race of the top 5.

Lord Marshal
09-18-2013, 07:18 PM
After I read that they would be making a back story and such for the character they choose, I lost all interest in ever trying to get my character in the show. It is only my character if I am the one to write who my character is and her back story.

dude26212
09-18-2013, 07:30 PM
After I read that they would be making a back story and such for the character they choose, I lost all interest in ever trying to get my character in the show. It is only my character if I am the one to write who my character is and her back story.

ohh i have the perfect reason for why they wouldnt let people make their back story and also not let everyone choose the final winner in the form of a web comic http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130401 Ctrl+Alt+Del is awesome lol

Escyos
09-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Already added an article to the wiki: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Alethea

Wraieth
09-18-2013, 08:31 PM
More than likely it was all set up to begin with. And so they didn't choose the one with the most votes.

The winner is probably some back stage worker on the show anyways. that no one will ever see outside of the cross over.

That way they don't have to realy deal with anyone that isn t already a part of everything.

And can just give the false pretense of player involvement.

Arsenic_Touch
09-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Here's hoping the next contest is actually based on merit and not a popularity contest that ultimately didn't even matter.

Nefarious
09-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah I voted for that one. Thought she had the coolest bio. An Irath Scientist who likes tech!? Wuuuutt! Who would of thought??

Beck
09-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Already added an article to the wiki: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Alethea

Fast to update the Wiki about a questionable contest, but I see nothing about K-TAM Radio, fan and player run and operated online radio catering to the community with immersive content geared within the game world.

Cavadus
09-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I understand that, but when you have a run-a-way winner it is a bit of a slap in the face to the community to disregard the majority vote, and overwhelming majority vote. Why not pick one of the two leaders?

They were pretty clear that the Facebook poll meant nothing more than cutting the pool of ten candidates down to five and that the winner would be chosen by SyFy.

And it was a silly contest anyways since they prefaced it with the fact that SyFy can completely rewrite every single detail about your character as much as they want and all the winner has guaranteed is a name.

Dracian
09-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Here's hoping the next contest is actually based on merit and not a popularity contest that ultimately didn't even matter.

And not only to US residents, too... I'm pretty sure some people even in Canada would have been glad to participate.

3rdpig
09-19-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm kind of disappointed that BackDa****Up, Sandy ****** or Suze Rottencrotch didn't win.

Damn, censored again. Use your imagination!

KBob
09-19-2013, 03:19 PM
They were pretty clear that the Facebook poll meant nothing more than cutting the pool of ten candidates down to five and that the winner would be chosen by SyFy.

And it was a silly contest anyways since they prefaced it with the fact that SyFy can completely rewrite every single detail about your character as much as they want and all the winner has guaranteed is a name.

yep, which pretty much makes it impossible for me to be on the show (as I use 4 char callsign instead of full name, and they weren't even asking about my story :) )

Sliverbaer
09-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Man I hate Facebook. That'd be why I forgot to vote.

This seems to be the winner? https://www.facebook.com/sakura.moonstar.5?hc_location=timeline

Beck
09-19-2013, 03:59 PM
It is ironic that a TV Show Filmed in Canada, with Canadian Filming crews and Canadian Actors and extras and receiving Canadian film and television grants (Canadian tax dollars)doesn't have contests open to Canadians excluding Quebec.

Nefarious
09-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Man I hate Facebook. That'd be why I forgot to vote.

This seems to be the winner? https://www.facebook.com/sakura.moonstar.5?hc_location=timeline

Dear Lord! Looking at its photos is like being in the mind of a crazy person.

TigrisMorte
09-19-2013, 04:35 PM
They stated at the beginning that the producer would pick from the top 5. I think it was more about letting the producer control more as it is his "baby" than anything else and personally thought it was to prevent a "internet votes conservative Muslim city in Turkey launch city for emergency condom delivery service." (http://www.zdnet.com/durex-sos-condoms-go-flaccid-over-batman-7000016597/) headlines.
While it does look really WTF? it was mostly expect-able from the rules as detailed.
If the fix was in they did a really bad job of it as it would be far simpler to cheat by stuffing the ballot box.
Unless,...! crazy like a fox!, it was just to throw us off. ( tinfoil hats on!)

TigrisMorte
09-19-2013, 04:37 PM

Was my feeling on the whole thing. "um, dude? What'cha doin' in my character sheet! Eat cold fire pulse!", and all that.

TigrisMorte
09-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Fast to update the Wiki about a questionable contest, but I see nothing about K-TAM Radio, fan and player run and operated online radio catering to the community with immersive content geared within the game world.

yeah, red headed step kid all the way man! But rejection builds character! And the massiveness if fail in the decision is so strong there is great amusement. I particularly love when folks try to defend it by pointing out y'all are respectful but don't fawn and drool in the OTC interviews.

Could have an entire semester in PR on this alone.

TigrisMorte
09-19-2013, 04:43 PM
It is ironic that a TV Show Filmed in Canada, with Canadian Filming crews and Canadian Actors and extras and receiving Canadian film and television grants (Canadian tax dollars)doesn't have contests open to Canadians excluding Quebec.

I believe Canada has some rather strict laws regarding contests. could be the major issue. I know it is why you'll almost never see web contests allow EU folks in.

Escyos
09-19-2013, 07:29 PM

How was it questionable? It was decided the way it was always to be decided and no Trion or Syfy staff could have participated as these contests don't allow them to.

As for KTAM radio, it is a fan site and adds nothing to the canon of Defiance, so it has no place on Defiance Wiki.

Frozen
09-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Besides, they had to option picking one of the top 5 (at least) or risk all the top votes being things like:

L337Ski11z
DeezNutz
420Bonghitter420
HugeCawk
etc...

Sanguinesun
09-19-2013, 10:09 PM

To me its just the same consistency in design implementation and management there of though, right?

Rumeyes
09-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Although I am starting to become quite sarcastic about the game Defiance, if Alethea is a real player (like, people know this person to play regularly or guildmates and such), I consider it legit.

It's a show. For practical reasons, I have no issue with the lead creator of the TV show picking from the top 5 and participants only able to join if legal resident of 1 of the 50 United States.

I DO have issues with not stating that particular term clearly and not presenting this in a broader manner then some obscure Youtube 20sec clip. I agree with Beck 100% on this.

Imho it's one of the frekin' selling points of the game/show, because this is proper cross content.

Beck
09-20-2013, 12:11 PM
As for KTAM radio, it is a fan site and adds nothing to the canon of Defiance, so it has no place on Defiance Wiki.

You obviously do not listen to K-TAM. We have been seeding our story lines with content from the actual Defiance glossary which we have had bits of given to us. We have the only expanding and growing story line in Defiance. We have had the most interviews with Defiance Staffers and will continue to try and get more of them and have some lines on other people related to Defiance. I can only imagine the amount of content you have missed out on with your thinking that as a fan site we have nothing to contribute. This goes for all other fan sites as well. We ALL contribute to the success or failure of this game in some part.

Unlike a wiki we are not just repeating what is already there for anyone else to see. We are actually creating and fleshing out the world of Defiance and making it much more immersive. We have in the past asked very nicely to be let in on the back story enough so we can at least create content that is consistent, we have had a lot of leaked info given to us which we are using, but have also had to create our own stories because the game has none and there is little to suggest it ever will have a story evolution beyond what you already see.

As a Wiki, you should also be including fan sites and resource sites such as Defiance Central and Defiance Data. We are all part of the same community. Just as we have always made it available for sites like yours to advertise on K-TAM and promote yourselves. Remember who announced the release date of DLC1 first which was confirmed almost a week later. That's right, it was K-TAM. Stick that in your Wiki. :p

Beck
09-20-2013, 12:40 PM
As for the questionable contest. What makes this questionable is how it was handled. As I said, the producer looks like he just woke up from a 3 day bender, there is no production, no fan fare, no interview on the phone with the winner to announce it to them. Even the video is unlisted, which means you can not find it on youtube unless you know the URL. It is secret, private, mysterious.

All of the FB pages have been taken down, you can't view any of the info anymore and the list goes on. As a contest it really only rewarded people who performed one action. That is not what Defiance should be about, it should be about making an impact, but there is nothing in the game to do such a thing. Why not just pick the most active player with the most kills, most traveled on foot and by car, maxed out ego and all skills and so on?

When you have 1 player who aside from the 2nd place votes, has more votes than the other 8 combined, the community has clearly spoken and you would think out of respect for your community you would make your choice based on the top two most popular people and maybe have a little extra event or something to ramp it up.

The back stories were fixed, no one got to create or pick their back story out of a pool of say 20. That would have been more random, but the fact that the back stories were already picked out it is easy to think that likely two or three of them were already written into the Season two scripts and all they needed was one of their pre-writes to make it into the top 5. This is not really random, and it is not really fair either.

When I look at all of this, the hangover ambush video, pages disappearing online that related to the contest before the winner was announced, the 2nd lowest voted character and the fact that to this point no one has been able to find this person online at all and their clan is an Australian clan. This is why it seems questionable. K-TAM has spoken with most of the 10 people who were winners. I think there were 3 we couldn't find, ever. No one knows who they were, never seen them online and most of the other 10 had been aware of a couple of the others before. They don't seem to log on and even tracking down guild mates who know them has been very difficult.

Is there a chance we just missed them? Yes, but we have had many people helping us out so it would seem unlikely. But it is possible. We have seen with the contests in the past they cater to a specific type of player anyway. I would imagine the next will be PVP related. I could be completely wrong, it is totally possible, but this is not how you keep long term fans and people committed to the game when you marginalize your community once again in this way.

Rumeyes
09-20-2013, 01:22 PM
All of the FB pages have been taken down, you can't view any of the info anymore and the list goes on. As a contest it really only rewarded people who performed one action. That is not what Defiance should be about, it should be about making an impact, but there is nothing in the game to do such a thing. Why not just pick the most active player with the most kills, most traveled on foot and by car, maxed out ego and all skills and so on?

..When you have 1 player who aside from the 2nd place votes, has more votes than the other 8 combined, the community has clearly spoken and you would think out of respect for your community you would make your choice based on the top two most popular people and maybe have a little extra event or something to ramp it up.

Questioning validity of the contest I can understand, lack of proper PR management I can understand, same goes for the failing communication skills on Trions side towards the community (but hey, won't be the first time). Maybe that gets cleared up a bit better at a later stage. Doubting the procedure on how this contest went down though, is pretty serious.

Where we clearly disagree is your belief that a player who tops nr.1 should be chosen, even though rules clearly state it can be any of the top 5. Maybe the nr.1 was ugly as hell (although Irathien makeup solves a lot), maybe the nr.1 did not fit the demography of what they are looking for as a person, maybe the nr.1 did not fit the character profile they prepared in advance.

For all you know, Kevin Murphy, the lead creator the TV show was looking for a girl with a callsign that fit better with what he had in mind for the show or Alethea is just living closest to the studio. Eitherway, it was clearly stated, he still had some stretch in picking the player. The community choose their top 5. Kevin had the last say.

I can think of so many reasons to pick or not pick a nr. 1, but I find your argument "Community clearly picked nr.1, so it has to be nr.1" far from sound. I feel we might have to agree to disagree on that point.

Escyos
09-20-2013, 05:28 PM
You obviously do not listen to K-TAM. We have been seeding our story lines with content from the actual Defiance glossary which we have had bits of given to us. We have the only expanding and growing story line in Defiance. We have had the most interviews with Defiance Staffers and will continue to try and get more of them and have some lines on other people related to Defiance. I can only imagine the amount of content you have missed out on with your thinking that as a fan site we have nothing to contribute. This goes for all other fan sites as well. We ALL contribute to the success or failure of this game in some part.

Unlike a wiki we are not just repeating what is already there for anyone else to see. We are actually creating and fleshing out the world of Defiance and making it much more immersive. We have in the past asked very nicely to be let in on the back story enough so we can at least create content that is consistent, we have had a lot of leaked info given to us which we are using, but have also had to create our own stories because the game has none and there is little to suggest it ever will have a story evolution beyond what you already see.

As a Wiki, you should also be including fan sites and resource sites such as Defiance Central and Defiance Data. We are all part of the same community. Just as we have always made it available for sites like yours to advertise on K-TAM and promote yourselves. Remember who announced the release date of DLC1 first which was confirmed almost a week later. That's right, it was K-TAM. Stick that in your Wiki. :p

From what I can gather people cannot listen to these interviews unless they get them live so there is no way to confirm anything given out by guests. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Defiance Wiki is about facts that can be confirmed by everyone. At any rate your site cannot be used as a source as your not affiliated with Trion or Syfy and so anything you make is not canon.

Wikis do not have to follow the same rules as other wikis. I may include a select group of fan sites in the future but as of now there is simply no place for them.

Skatch
09-20-2013, 05:47 PM
From what I can gather people cannot listen to these interviews unless they get them live so there is no way to confirm anything given out by guests. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

All of our interviews are available on our YouTube page. Defiance Data also has transcripts available for most of them as well.

BJWyler
09-20-2013, 06:12 PM

For all you know, Kevin Murphy, the lead creator the TV show was looking for a girl with a callsign that fit better with what he had in mind for the show or Alethea is just living closest to the studio. Eitherway, it was clearly stated, he still had some stretch in picking the player. The community choose their top 5. Kevin had the last say.

The SyFy Defiance writing team wrote the backstories, if this was the case, the deck was already stacked and they had chosen their winner before the voting even started, in which case the validity of the contest certainly can be called into question.

Escyos
09-20-2013, 06:37 PM
All of our interviews are available on our YouTube page. Defiance Data also has transcripts available for most of them as well.

Could you narrow it down to anything we have ever been told before? Because I went through the "transcripts" and found nothing of consequence.

Skatch
09-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Could you narrow it down to anything we have ever been told before? Because I went through the "transcripts" and found nothing of consequence.

I would leave the relevancy of the interview up to the person listening to decide. You suggested that people could only listen to them live. I corrected you and provided avenues to their location. I am not here to debate the merit of the content of said interview. That is open to perspective to which we are all entitled to our own.

Escyos
09-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I would leave the relevancy of the interview up to the person listening to decide. You suggested that people could only listen to them live. I corrected you and provided avenues to their location. I am not here to debate the merit of the content of said interview. That is open to perspective to which we are all entitled to our own.

If information in those interviews does not appear to add anything to the canon of Defiance. That is the consequence I was talking about.

Beck
09-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Where we clearly disagree is your belief that a player who tops nr.1 should be chosen, even though rules clearly state it can be any of the top 5. Maybe the nr.1 was ugly as hell (although Irathien makeup solves a lot), maybe the nr.1 did not fit the demography of what they are looking for as a person, maybe the nr.1 did not fit the character profile they prepared in advance.

I can think of so many reasons to pick or not pick a nr. 1, but I find your argument "Community clearly picked nr.1, so it has to be nr.1" far from sound. I feel we might have to agree to disagree on that point.

My point is not that the most votes should have won, first and second were about 300 votes separate, 3rd was another 200 ish votes. This is a contest that is giving the implication that the community gets to make the majority of the choices, to interact with the show, but when the back stories are not random or player written all the community involvement is marginalized. It gives the impression that the contest was fixed to some degree. Was it? We will never know. But with how Trion and Syfy have been handling things so far I would say it is more likely to be a fix and it is not unreasonable to think that. Which by its self is a really bad thing to say, that people can reasonably agree that this could have been fixed.

Am I accusing anyone of a fix? No, I am just saying how this is being handled it has a smell.

No one has yet to see a post by the winner anywhere. No mention on the Friday live stream or anything about it. You would think with something like this you would make it big, an event, a celebration that the community gets a direct tie in to the TV show.

Just sayin.

Skatch
09-20-2013, 07:53 PM
If information in those interviews does not appear to add anything to the canon of Defiance. That is the consequence I was talking about.

A lot of the stuff with Tony Vhalen, and Matt Mower the lore designer, and a writer respectively is very relevant to the lore. Depending on your perspective. Trick also has gone into lore being as he is the creative lead. I have stated i will let the listener decide the relevance. If there is nothing of consequence available for you that's fine, maybe our next interview will be of more interest to you.

HINDSIGHT
09-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Redo the math hindsight shoulda been on the show because he's like = that much better. Yeah I said it...

Gidian
09-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Congratulations Alethia.
I hope there are going to be more game to show players i have been real busy trying to loosing weight for the show. I would love to be on there and I love the game and the show. I have lost 75 pounds already and will keep walking 3miles a day till I get to my ideal weight or till I do good anough to be picked. :)

Arsenic_Touch
09-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Congratulations Alethia.
I hope there are going to be more game to show players i have been real busy trying to loosing weight for the show. I would love to be on there and I love the game and the show. I have lost 75 pounds already and will keep walking 3miles a day till I get to my ideal weight or till I do good anough to be picked. :)

....the person's character is going to be on the show, not them.

Pilot
09-21-2013, 06:35 AM
And not only to US residents, too... I'm pretty sure some people even in Canada would have been glad to participate.
I have to wander about this popularity contest these people are talking about. If they could make it so you could actually talk to other people on your headset, I might actually know what is going on half the time. I'm thinking these people don't want you to talk to the Canadians. I am Canadian and yes I would like to be more involved. I've been playing from the beginning, Moya and I have never been able to talk to each other or anyone else. What can I say I'm pretty good at killing but it doesn't make me popular. ....is it because I'm Canadian.....mmmm, Or just because I'm forced to fight alone.

TigrisMorte
09-21-2013, 07:23 AM
...Defiance Wiki is ... not affiliated with Trion or Syfy and so ... the same rules... may include...them.

No offense but um, irony is a *****.

Pilot
09-21-2013, 07:42 AM
No offense but um, irony is a *****.

Nice, Shakespeare, indeed

Rumeyes
09-21-2013, 12:39 PM

Oh wait, I was mistaken then. So only a character name gets chosen with a specific backstory that gets written into the show? Well that shouldn't be too hard for the writers to implement, no matter what direction you pitch.

This is a contest that is giving the implication that the community gets to make the majority of the choices, to interact with the show, but when the back stories are not random or player written all the community involvement is marginalized.

I understand your point now. If the backstory already was fixed the only addendum this contest makes is the reference of a player nametag in the show. I stand corrected, this change should greatly diminish the value of the contest indeed.

Even if the backstory would not have been fixed by the writers of the show and this together with a player nametag would have been introduced, I would not find this very impressive. In a main storyarc you can build actions of a side-plot with whatever backstory that sideline character has.

I see cross content as decisions happening in the show that effect the game and vice versa. Everything I've seen up untill now did not strike me with awe. This contest included. You build a show, you make a game, you gather $$$. They are more standalone then you'd hope them to be.

I haven't seen story influence capabilities built in the game which effects the show. But if you don't even have the possibility to let player actions influence the storyline of the game (because there just isn't that in Defiance), how will you make that work from game to show? Easy answer: You don't. Let us see what is promised:

"Experience dynamic missions, massive co-op battles, and endless exploration across a gigantic game environment. Plus, brought to you by Syfy, the Defiance TV series is a revolutionary weekly drama that impacts the game, and gives you the chance to change the show."

1. Dynamic missions = Episode quests - check.
2. Drama impacts game = Plague event - check.
3. Change the show = this contest - check.

If you expect more then above mentioned, looking at the trackrecord you are just being incredibly silly (although I do hope that Trion/Syfy actually do this and then it will ROCK!). Looks like they are too busy keeping Defiance rolling, on the different platforms and on-screen.

I wouldn't expect anything innovative on the cross content. Every box is checked. If they give us a 3rd DLC with a quest including 2 min of cutscenes and 5 datarecorders they are well covered.

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 06:47 PM
The contest's details and stages were for the most part simply an illusion. The audience was given the impression that x was random, y was the audiences choice etc etc. But really all there were was false shuffles, a switch or two, and the results were as expected and intended by magician.

Penn and Teller could do it better at least with false reveals and some fake dismemberment or injury to boot.

Spiltmilk
09-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Congratulations Alethia.

The best thing I have read on this forum today. :D

Rumeyes
09-21-2013, 07:25 PM
The best thing I have read on this forum today. :D

Makes me wonder why they put a limit on for only NA players if it was only a character name and bio..

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Makes me wonder why they put a limit on for only NA players if it was only a character name and bio..

Because while the marketing value of advertising it around the world exists, the compliance and liability issues with the laws of various countries etc makes it cost prohibitive due to the legal folks they'd have to put on retainer to handle them all. At least that's what one of their folks said once. :rolleyes:

Rumeyes
09-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Because while the marketing value of advertising it around the world exists, the compliance and liability issues with the laws of various countries etc makes it cost prohibitive due to the legal folks they'd have to put on retainer to handle them all. At least that's what one of their folks said once. :rolleyes:

Don't they wave something along the lines of "you participate and your concept/idea becomes ours"?

There are MMO's out there that do contests for ingame art, I don't see any restrictions there..

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Don't they wave something along the lines of "you participate and your concept/idea becomes ours"?

There are MMO's out there that do contests for ingame art, I don't see any restrictions there..

Because you are assuming from an ethnocentric stand point that all countries have the same restrictions etc. They dont and even something that can seem innocuous as what you've stated above can be contentious.

Escyos
09-21-2013, 08:38 PM

It's a legal thing. Simple as that.

Halloween
09-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Were we supposed to get an email about voting, or were we supposed to look for the poll in the same manner as an arkfall code?

Sanguinesun
09-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Were we supposed to get an email about voting, or were we supposed to look for the poll in the same manner as an arkfall code?

The voting phase was done via facebook. It really didnt matter though.

PseudoCool
09-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah.. this whole thing is a non-issue.

My character.. My name (that I've used for a LONG TIME).. My story line

No way in Grabthars Hammer would I let someone else.. ANYONE ELSE.. have any access to modify it in any way. Besides, I'm looking at Trade Marking my name for games (since some goober on Xbox Live US has it and thinks he's hot shtako!), so no way would I screw that up for some in-show wanted poster!

Nefarious
09-22-2013, 04:39 PM

If Nefarious got picked and someone else were to play him then I would refuse. I would delete my Character.

The only person that could do justice to play Nefarious would be me. Because Im the only one that knows what goes on in his head. On how he perceives things and how he goes about doing stuff.

Beck
09-23-2013, 11:34 PM
It's a legal thing. Simple as that.

Well no, not really that simple. Their are nuances. In some places you can own your character name, you an even own all the items you carry too. The ToS/EULA does not supersede the laws of any given country, state or province. The U.S. was just a few years ago looking at taxing the in game value of peoples accounts because Gold Selling is a Billion ($1,000,000,000) industry and that value is for virtual goods. The big issue was how to keep track of it all (audit) and then tax players accordingly. It was suggested a flat $2/month per subscription/account would be fair to cover the bases. However the gaming companies would sooner shut down their servers than let YOU or I own our oranges and purples and then sell them for real world money.

To say it is a legal thing and not try and understand the nuances is like trying to run a Defiance Wiki and say it is the most comprehensive resource but leaves out the community entirely that actually makes the game go... oh.. wait.

Playful jabs.

Build a fan site section. You are missing out on the biggest part of the game world. The people who play it and keep it alive.

Escyos
09-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Well no, not really that simple. Their are nuances. In some places you can own your character name, you an even own all the items you carry too. The ToS/EULA does not supersede the laws of any given country, state or province. The U.S. was just a few years ago looking at taxing the in game value of peoples accounts because Gold Selling is a Billion ($1,000,000,000) industry and that value is for virtual goods. The big issue was how to keep track of it all (audit) and then tax players accordingly. It was suggested a flat $2/month per subscription/account would be fair to cover the bases. However the gaming companies would sooner shut down their servers than let YOU or I own our oranges and purples and then sell them for real world money.

Its still a legal thing, I didn't mean a simple legal thing, just that the concept that the contest was ruled by law was simple.

To say it is a legal thing and not try and understand the nuances is like trying to run a Defiance Wiki and say it is the most comprehensive resource but leaves out the community entirely that actually makes the game go... oh.. wait.

Playful jabs.

Build a fan site section. You are missing out on the biggest part of the game world. The people who play it and keep it alive.

It still adds nothing to the story of Defiance, saying that it plays a part in the community does nothing to the story itself. It won't be included, for the same reason that fan characters won't be included.

Sanguinesun
09-24-2013, 02:44 AM
It still adds nothing to the story of Defiance, saying that it plays a part in the community does nothing to the story itself. It won't be included, for the same reason that fan characters won't be included.

Wait, you're saying that you dont include fan sites to the wiki?

Congratulations. That takes some special kind of silly(Dahanese's meaning of the word) since, you know, almost every other one out there for games very much does include community projects, fansites and more.

For example:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/DC_Universe_Online_Wiki
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

And before you go off on saying its not a Trion related thing with those examples:

http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/RIFT_Wiki
http://telarapedia.gamepedia.com/Rift_Wiki

Honestly, though the wiki's relevance is small considering the dwindling relevance of the game for many anyways but to alienate community aspects of the game out of some strange personal reasons in the matter I think helps to further hasten the lack your wiki's relevancy overall.

At least on one hand though, your actions are consistent with the manner by which the community as a whole continues to be regarded even officially. :rolleyes:

Escyos
09-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Wait, you're saying that you dont include fan sites to the wiki?

Congratulations. That takes some special kind of silly(Dahanese's meaning of the word) since, you know, almost every other one out there for games very much does include community projects, fansites and more.

For example:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/DC_Universe_Online_Wiki
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

And before you go off on saying its not a Trion related thing with those examples:

http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/RIFT_Wiki
http://telarapedia.gamepedia.com/Rift_Wiki

Honestly, though the wiki's relevance is small considering the dwindling relevance of the game for many anyways but to alienate community aspects of the game out of some strange personal reasons in the matter I think helps to further hasten the lack your wiki's relevancy overall.

At least on one hand though, your actions are consistent with the manner by which the community as a whole continues to be regarded even officially. :rolleyes:

Did you read what I wrote? It adds NOTHING to the story of Defiance. Defiance Wiki is an encyclopedia on the Defiance universe written (mostly) as if it is occurring in the real world.

I am more than happy to exchange links with other sites (that is I post links to them and they do the same) but articles about the site itself does not fit in. Some official sites do but not fan sites.

BTW Linking to Wikia sites seriously makes your comment look like a joke. Wikia is a joke of a site and should be completely disregarded.

Escyos
09-24-2013, 02:54 AM

Also considering that I need to pay for high quality hosting and the traffic is still very high, your point is moot.

Sanguinesun
09-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Did you read what I wrote? It adds NOTHING to the story of Defiance. Defiance Wiki is an encyclopedia on the Defiance universe written (mostly) as if it is occurring in the real world.

Right. But about a third of your site seemingly isnt. A couple of examples:

A production section devoted to discussing the actors and actresses?
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Category:Production

Or a media section on the soundtrack, hellbug figurine, seasons pass and collectors edition stuff?
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Category:Media

I guess two thirds can qualify for mostly, sure. :rolleyes:

I am more than happy to exchange links with other sites (that is I post links to them and they do the same) but articles about the site itself does not fit in. Some official sites do but not fan sites.

Showed the contradictions above... (mostly).

BTW Linking to Wikia sites seriously makes your comment look like a joke.

Well that is understandable since one such exists for Defiance that I didnt mention that of course conflicts with your agenda for your site.

Look, we all get it, you're less interested in inclusivity with any remnants of the community of players and prefer more your exclusivity in feeling that you are maintaining the purity and "integrity" of your site.

At least various wikia sites include and welcome the community of players and all to contribute to them. :rolleyes:

Wikia is a joke of a site and should be completely disregarded.

Perhaps, but I can think of one site off the top of my head which both exemplifies and justifies those considerations more appropriately.:rolleyes:

Escyos
09-24-2013, 04:44 AM
Right. But about a third of your site seemingly isnt. A couple of examples:

A production section devoted to discussing the actors and actresses?
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Category:Production

Or a media section on the soundtrack, hellbug figurine, seasons pass and collectors edition stuff?
http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Category:Media

I guess two thirds can qualify for mostly, sure. :rolleyes:

Yes because most of that stuff adds to Defiance as it IS/WAS PART OF IT! A site which is neither owned nor endorsed by Trion/Syfy does not qualify, simple as that.

Well that is understandable since one such exists for Defiance that I didnt mention that of course conflicts with your agenda for your site.

I have NO fear of that joke of a wiki they have, the people who run it couldn't tell a Sensoth from a Volge.

Look, we all get it, you're less interested in inclusivity with any remnants of the community of players and prefer more your exclusivity in feeling that you are maintaining the purity and "integrity" of your site.

I'm all for being a part of the community, what I am not for it creating articles that have no substance to them, that have nothing to do with the Defiance universe etc.

At least various wikia sites include and welcome the community of players and all to contribute to them. :rolleyes:

99% of people that use wikia are idiots. They assume they are doing something good when all they are doing is contributing to the bank accounts of wikia and the staff know this so they force changes on the community who barely fight them on that and spam each page with ads.

Perhaps, but I can think of one site off the top of my head which both exemplifies and justifies those considerations more appropriately.:rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that I own Defiance Wiki and I get to choose what belongs on it. I don't care what other wikis are doing, I don't care that some persons site feels they should be on there. My site does VERY well on its own without links from partner sites, these forums themselves provided a MASSIVE amount of my traffic with individual sites only putting one or two links in a week.

Rumeyes
09-24-2013, 05:02 AM
You guys know this Defiance K-TAM vs. Defiance Wiki fighting is totally off-topic right?

- K-tam, good initiative for this game, but no support from the game like say, the Secret World.
- Wiki, good initiative for this game, it's a wiki page like so many others on the interwebs.

The wiki guy doesn't want to add links to your radiostation, thats fine. I compare it with TSW's wiki, you don't see any links to playersites there either. You go however to the most used guidesite for TSW unfair.co, then there most playermedia are listed. I feel wiki sites usually appear to be a bit more static then organic anyway when it comes to information.

Get off your high horse, I am already glad we got things like this. You are rolling in the mud for nothing.

Beck
09-24-2013, 12:31 PM
You guys know this Defiance K-TAM vs. Defiance Wiki fighting is totally off-topic right?

- K-tam, good initiative for this game, but no support from the game like say, the Secret World. [Multiple interviews with Defiance Staff is definitely a show of support from the game.]
- Wiki, good initiative for this game, it's a wiki page like so many others on the interwebs. [no support from the game]

The wiki guy doesn't want to add links to your radiostation, thats fine. I compare it with TSW's wiki, you don't see any links to playersites there either. You go however to the most used guidesite for TSW unfair.co, then there most playermedia are listed. I feel wiki sites usually appear to be a bit more static then organic anyway when it comes to information.

Get off your high horse, I am already glad we got things like this. You are rolling in the mud for nothing.

K-TAM is not part of the argument between Sanguinesun and Escyos

That being said Escyos is wrong about this "I'm all for being a part of the community, what I am not for it creating articles that have no substance to them, that have nothing to do with the Defiance universe etc."

The immersive nature of K-TAM has been credited many times over with keeping people in the universe of Defiance. We have created content and used lore/cannon to create fictional products that could or do exist in the game. Sure some stuff is meant to be funny and juvenile but we also put serious effort into the actual story lines, and we have access to the two people who created it all, which I think trumps any argument made that K-TAM does not have anything to do with the Defiance Universe. Had you bothered to be listening or even talk with us you would know a heck of a lot more about the universe and where it was intended to go pre-syfy take over of writing the story line. You would know who the big bad baddie is already since you seem to think you can read between the lines so well. I drop hints like 9 pound hammers. I have an entire glossary section from Defiance to work off of and let me tell you, you have some info that is definitely wrong.

I think the debate here is that Escyos thinks he has all the facts, which I think Sanguinesun is trying to tell him he doesn't. They both have good points, but the point that I think was made was Sanguinesun pointing out Escoyos own inconsistencies in what he is saying and what is actually on his site.

I have nothing to do with that debate and Sanguinesun does not represent K-TAM. But his points are valid. Even to the point that "...fan characters won't be included." Yet he did so with this contest. Does he have the permission of the winner to use their name? We still have no proof this person even exists and isn't a complete plant.

The point I have been making is he is dismissing Fan sites out of hand and not actually talking with anyone to see who/where their sources are for their information. This is arrogance and it is plain to see in this conversation there is a lot of it. K-TAM works with other fan sites and clans, we appreciate what they bring to the Defiance Universe, are grateful they want to be involved with us. If there was no community there would be no fan sites and no fan sites means less people know about the game and less people who know about the game the less people who know about any Wiki and "doing quite well" would be doing nothing at all.

This all being said Escyos is right in saying it is his site, he can do what he wants which is why I have not pursued the matter further. I will even defend his right to operate his site the way he feels it should be run, even if I do not agree with him because I see things from a different perspective.

Cavadus
09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
A site which is neither owned nor endorsed by Trion/Syfy does not qualify, simple as that.

How do you ratonalize the Defiance Central links on the bottom of your main page's wiki?

Escyos
09-24-2013, 04:20 PM
As much as I hate taking threads off topic (I really do) I am no longer going to talk about this here. You people seem unable to understand my point but instead try to control what I do. I will now only talk about this matter to those who run KTAM. The only way a KTAM Radio site article will show up on the wiki is if I am dead and someone inherits the site from me.

Beck
09-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Both can be arranged... Now, to find a champion and wait for Arena's to go PvP and challenge in ritualistic combat. I vote for Roshambo... to the death.

Kick-it.

Rumeyes
09-24-2013, 05:53 PM
The immersive nature of K-TAM has been credited many times over with keeping people in the universe of Defiance. We have created content and used lore/cannon to create fictional products that could or do exist in the game. Sure some stuff is meant to be funny and juvenile but we also put serious effort into the actual story lines, and we have access to the two people who created it all, which I think trumps any argument made that K-TAM does not have anything to do with the Defiance Universe. Had you bothered to be listening or even talk with us you would know a heck of a lot more about the universe and where it was intended to go pre-syfy take over of writing the story line. You would know who the big bad baddie is already since you seem to think you can read between the lines so well. I drop hints like 9 pound hammers. I have an entire glossary section from Defiance to work off of and let me tell you, you have some info that is definitely wrong.

Was some of that info meant for me? You are missing my point. Take the argument to another thread.

The fact you might know more about the Defiance universe doesn't mean you have to inflate your EGO (pun intended) onto the forum. The Wiki guy doesnt wanna, the other guy is whining. Furthermore, I never dissed about K-TAM, but if you want to talk about what support of a game to a radiostation can do I can name the following examples:

- contests with prizes (handed out by Trion for you to give away),
- parties ingame where occasionally GM's or CM's show up for fun,
- PVP-tournaments that are held periodically with Trion prizes where you are present to promote,
- events that occur get promoted by you and vice versa on the forum by Trion that you guys are there live,
- etc. etc. (now I must say usually the events are standard events like an anniversary but you get the idea)

Don't get me wrong, this game is still new, you guys are volunteers, and again, you are doing a great job, but don't think Trion is working extremely hard to get the community ingame. I meant support in a tad broader context.

With an agenda on the site which shows interesting topics or planned shows, I might be able to tune in to get more info on Defiance, because I do like to know more about backstory, contests or other developments, but right now, yeah I don't.

The guy is contributing in his own way. Who are you to act like a complete @ss to belittle him like that?

The Lady
09-24-2013, 10:35 PM
So only the person's character name and likeness will be on the show, not the actual person or anything they themselves made up for their character.

J_matt
09-24-2013, 10:47 PM
So only the person's character name and likeness will be on the show, not the actual person or anything they themselves made up for their character.
Nope just the name, race and background everything else will be done by syfy. I think they heired an actress already to play the character

Sanguinesun
09-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Nope just the name, race and background everything else will be done by syfy. I think they heired an actress already to play the character

Actually just the name and race. The background was done by Syfy in phase 2 of the contest.

As much as I hate taking threads off topic (I really do) I am no longer going to talk about this here. You people seem unable to understand my point but instead try to control what I do. I will now only talk about this matter to those who run KTAM. The only way a KTAM Radio site article will show up on the wiki is if I am dead and someone inherits the site from me.

The Chantry teaches us that it was the hurbis of men which brought the darkspawn into our world. :rolleyes:

The Lady
09-24-2013, 11:44 PM
So basically they are going to have an arkhunter character on an episode of season two. So they can promote the awesome game / show tie in.

Sanguinesun
09-25-2013, 12:04 AM
So basically they are going to have an arkhunter character on an episode of season two. So they can promote the awesome game / show tie in.

To be honest at this point, I'd be surprised if they actually played it off as an arkhunter and not something else.

Since SyFy wrote the back story, they pretty much already know how they're going to make the character; because to be honest, that's what they're doing. Only "tie in" is that the contestant named the character they're going to use to fit SyFy's plans. Everything else from the get go has been SyFy's control. Its just a basic magician's use of misdirection to make the participants in the contest feel they had any significant influence to start with.

N3gativeCr33p
09-25-2013, 05:36 AM
To be honest at this point, I'd be surprised if they actually played it off as an arkhunter and not something else.

Yeah, I would also be surprised. But I'm guessing the winner's character will be written as one of the TV show character's love interest.

Crystal Kitty
09-25-2013, 06:46 AM
Yes because most of that stuff adds to Defiance as it IS/WAS PART OF IT! A site which is neither owned nor endorsed by Trion/Syfy does not qualify, simple as that.

I have NO fear of that joke of a wiki they have, the people who run it couldn't tell a Sensoth from a Volge.

I'm all for being a part of the community, what I am not for it creating articles that have no substance to them, that have nothing to do with the Defiance universe etc.

99% of people that use wikia are idiots. They assume they are doing something good when all they are doing is contributing to the bank accounts of wikia and the staff know this so they force changes on the community who barely fight them on that and spam each page with ads.

The fact of the matter is that I own Defiance Wiki and I get to choose what belongs on it. I don't care what other wikis are doing, I don't care that some persons site feels they should be on there. My site does VERY well on its own without links from partner sites, these forums themselves provided a MASSIVE amount of my traffic with individual sites only putting one or two links in a week.

Ive never even HEARD of your stupid wiki lol, sorry

KTAM has been here since day ONE, interviewing devs and staff, and providing a TON.

Don't be jealous because their site actually adds to the community, what a jealous sore person, wow.

Cavadus
09-25-2013, 09:17 AM
...[I] don't think Trion is working extremely hard to get the community ingame. I meant support in a tad broader context.

TW does nothing to involve the community. In fact, their community support doesn't even exist. A few months ago I PM'd dahanese about GM support for community events. I couldn't even believe the response she sent back.

Here it is:

Hey dahenese,

Thanks for all of the recent posts lately. It's nice to see a little life from y'all on the forums :p

Anyways, I've been trying to figure out FOR MONTHS if there is any GM support available for community events?

Specifically, NA PC.

I'm the guild leader of the 47th Legion, one of the more larger-ish and active guilds on NA PC, and we'd like to act out a bit of an RP storyline we're putting together which will explain how the 47th Legion came to be.

All I would really need from a GM is a big ole spawn of the renegade E-Rep mobs used in Rynn's episodic content.

Let me know what's possible, thanks!

~Cav

Unfortunately, this isn't something we can do right now. I'm sorry about that - but I hope you can figure out other cool RP stuff. :D

So there you go. GMs have absolutely no in-game powers whatsoever and are not capable of supporting community events.

dahanese
09-25-2013, 10:28 AM
TW does nothing to involve the community. In fact, their community support doesn't even exist. A few months ago I PM'd dahanese about GM support for community events. I couldn't even believe the response she sent back.

Here it is:

So there you go. GMs have absolutely no in-game powers whatsoever and are not capable of supporting community events.

I'm sorry that we didn't get to talk more about this - my bad if you sent a reply to me after that conversation and I didn't follow up. The Community team and the GMs are different folks (Deb used to be a GM but she's our Community Coordinator now.) The request you sent is pretty specific in terms of in-game requests and not something we can do - but for community events in general (whether they are things we do as contests or competitions or stuff we do in game like running instances or arkfalls with you guys) that's something we do on occasion and would never say no to doing more.

Rumeyes
09-25-2013, 10:35 AM
..we do as contests or competitions or stuff we do in game like running instances or arkfalls with you guys) that's something we do on occasion and would never say no to doing more..

Sounds good, but can you (whether or not you do that in conjunction with community media like K-TAM) communicate that on the forum or other ways (twitter or w/e).

I am sure more people would be interested in joining contests or competitions for a lousy 5 bitcoin, where you guys are present, just for the hell of it.

I do hope you aren't referring to the Friday Livestream Extravaganza and actually talking about contests that can spice up the RPG a bit?

Let the Community Coordinator throw some ideas of what is possible within Defiance.

Xaearth
09-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Lol. I just saw this.

You might want to either learn what a wiki is or change the name of your website, because it isn't a wiki.

A wiki is a community effort to document something.

If your website was a wiki, you would ask the community of said site their thoughts on the matter - if it truly is a collaborative effort, it is the consensus of the community that defines what is relevant to the wiki.

Instead, you put your foot down and state, in no uncertain words, that you are the master of your own "wiki", with absolutely no implication that you even considered consulting your current "wiki"-community, nor any indication that you are the least bit interested in expanding the community of your "wiki" by considering the views of potential new members.

I have no affiliation with K-Tam. I don't even listen to K-Tam.
But as a wiki-contributor to several other game wikis (none of which fall under the wikia brand, just so we get that point out of the way), I find myself now quite pleased with my decision to refrain from ever looking into Defiance wikis.

PS: If your replies here weren't all about you and your decisions about your wiki, you wouldn't have shown an egregious misunderstanding as to the purpose of a wiki, and I wouldn't have had to reply in this manner.

Beck
09-25-2013, 12:18 PM
My comments in Red to save space.

Was some of that info meant for me? [Some yes but not all]You are missing my point. Take the argument to another thread.[This is a K-TAM Thread]

The fact you might know more about the Defiance universe doesn't mean you have to inflate your EGO (pun intended) onto the forum. [I would like some proof of this. We promote the game, we promote the community and we are here to entertain as much as we are to provide a safe creative outlet for peoples thoughts and opinons. If this is EGO you need to find a new definition.] The Wiki guy doesnt wanna, the other guy is whining. Furthermore, I never dissed about K-TAM, but if you want to talk about what support of a game to a radiostation can do I can name the following examples:

- contests with prizes (handed out by Trion for you to give away),
- parties ingame where occasionally GM's or CM's show up for fun,
- PVP-tournaments that are held periodically with Trion prizes where you are present to promote,
- events that occur get promoted by you and vice versa on the forum by Trion that you guys are there live,
- etc. etc. (now I must say usually the events are standard events like an anniversary but you get the idea)

[I made a commitment at launch to never ask for a hand out from Trion/Defiance. Sledgehammer has a copy of that message. If they want to send us stuff to give away I would be happy to receive it. The only things I can find to give away as prizes that are not K-TAM related are Bit Cards and XBOX/PSN cards. However, the Bit cards are PC only and the XBOX/PSN are region locked and can only be used in the country purchased from which makes this a very unfair system to try and award people, not to mention they all have different values. K-TAM stuff is good, but it is also expensive because we can't afford the bulk orders and we have to ship as well so we don't do as many give a ways as I would like.

I have even offered to send Dahanese, Trick and OverloadUT a K-TAM T-Shirt in appreciation a few times and it's been declined. It was our way of wanting to say thinks for coming on and supporting the community.

Where should we hold these little parties? Did you know we tried to have one every Monday night at the Crater? Lasted about 3 weeks but people stopped trying because of the phasing/sharding it was a lot of effort to get people into the same phase in just one system, it never felt like a community event when people are over 3 systems in addition to no actual social thing to do. We all dance like self-conscious neck beards in game anyway with the shuffle clap dance of all mighty lameness.

PvP Tournaments - You mean shadow wars? There really is no other PvP besides duels and the PvP maps. With no Clan Tags or way to join as a clan their are too many variables from random people to have an effective tournamt and keep track of everyone. We have had a great many conversations about this and other ideas, the game is just not conducive to what is normal to do in other games.

I will admit if you are not on our Twitter you will not find updates of what is going on. Part of that is because we are a volunteer team and we do not use google ads or other advertising to give us the resources to design a better web site that is more user friendly to do all the great things we wish we could do on it. There is always room for improvement and we are working on them as we can. Right now it's getting more listeners to make it worth it. Notice how empty the forums have been lately? We see it too on our end at K-TAM]

Don't get me wrong, this game is still new, you guys are volunteers, and again, you are doing a great job, but don't think Trion is working extremely hard to get the community in game. I meant support in a tad broader context. [Support in game as far as just hanging out out side of the Friday streams is non-existant. Never see forum posts or twitters about anyone just hopping on to do a siege or a few ark falls and hang out. Used to happen with Sledgehammer. But never since. I don't blame them either with a skeleton crew to manage all of the forums and getting ready for Arcage.]

With an agenda on the site which shows interesting topics or planned shows, I might be able to tune in to get more info on Defiance, because I do like to know more about backstory, contests or other developments, but right now, yeah I don't. [Although we don't list everything, our front page does list when the Sam Skatch Show airs and that is our current primary "story line" show. Our A.I. does random shows as is her character and we are working on getting other shows and hosts on the air. Sundays and Mondays are our talk show days. Things announced on the forums quite often and via our Twitter feed and FB page. We are looking at ideas for a better calendar of events.]

The guy is contributing in his own way. Who are you to act like a complete @ss to belittle him like that? [I defend his right to control what goes on his web site. I don't agree with him though and nor do I have to. How is that belittling him? But as a poster pointed out, the idea of a Wiki is to be a community effort. ]

Oh and BTW. We hope to have Dahanese join us for a few minutes in a couple of weeks, keep listening for the details.

Rumeyes
09-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Oh and BTW. We hope to have Dahanese join us for a few minutes in a couple of weeks, keep listening for the details.

Your responses in red already show some weak points in the system to gather people, but I did meet up with clan members to do the clan pursuits, so it is not impossible (whether it is practical, yeah, that's debatable). And we lack a HUB in this game.

I understand that you aren't asking for handouts from Trion, that's not your call to make. It was just to show how to throw some bait. How it happens in other MMO's is, you do the contest, you mail the winner to the CM, and he does the rest.

Yeah, just live shows can be a tad lonely, thats not just in Defiance, so usually better to combine them with events like anniversaries, duel contests, clan happenings, RP stuff, like weddings (although thats RP I doubt you will see here).

Again, I am not attacking K-tam as a radiostation, just posting stuff I regard as "normal" and that apparently there was some beef about (not) adding a link to w/e site on some w/e wikipage, and your later response sounded a bit like "drop dead" to me.

Anyway, you disagree. It happens. Yeah, it's slow in Defiance, but I just pointed out that (community managers from) Trion can add to a community/game in more ways then just pushing content (which is a frequent topic) or giving a random interview.

Having different platforms and different servers (NA/EU) doesn't make any easier.

dahanese
09-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Sounds good, but can you (whether or not you do that in conjunction with community media like K-TAM) communicate that on the forum or other ways (twitter or w/e).

I am sure more people would be interested in joining contests or competitions for a lousy 5 bitcoin, where you guys are present, just for the hell of it.

I do hope you aren't referring to the Friday Livestream Extravaganza and actually talking about contests that can spice up the RPG a bit?

Let the Community Coordinator throw some ideas of what is possible within Defiance.

Our official info will always happen here or on the blog (we also post stuff on Facebook and Twitter but cool contests will be on the blog for sure.) We're going to continue doing outreach with folks like Defiance Data, Defiance Reporter, and KTAM too - but not instead of or in lieu of official info!

Beck
09-25-2013, 05:35 PM
I understand that you aren't asking for handouts from Trion, that's not your call to make. It was just to show how to throw some bait. How it happens in other MMO's is, you do the contest, you mail the winner to the CM, and he does the rest.

I have never seen or heard of this ever, this would not happen. I would never do a contest and then expect Trion to award someone because of a contest someone else did. That is simply preposterous.

Rumeyes
09-26-2013, 04:36 AM
I have never seen or heard of this ever, this would not happen.. That is simply preposterous.

Because something doesn't appear on your horizon doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The idea is that you do a contest with the support of Trion. Anyway it's just an example of how a CM or GM can work together with community media in a game. Being too busy with another game, now that's what I call preposterous. It's good you are holding the torch, but you shouldnt be doing that alone.

I am looking forward to the ideas of the Community Coordinator.

Beck
09-28-2013, 12:41 PM
If Trion wants to sponsor a contest they are welcome to. But this would never happen. Good idea though. Plus there is one glaring issue with this in addition to the obvious. They seem to only give out game codes. Likely anyone who is tuned in to K-TAM is already playing the game so giving away more copies of the game is really pointless.