PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment about Castithan DLC.

Skywing
09-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Hello forum, this is my first post and I'm glad I joined here with the rest of community. Ok, enough introduction, let's get to the point.

I play Defiance for a long time and watched TV show and I like setting, environment, races and the rest of the game. I'm also impressed about weapon customization, good-looking outfits, goals ( achievements ), arkfalls and Volge sieges. PvP is also fun to play. I enjoyed playing main missions and trying to connect the story with the show. After that, I decided to buy Castithan DLC to continue main missions. After I bought that DLC and done arena missions, I was disappointed about the content Trion delivered for that DLC. I expected we will explore more about Castithan and maybe exploring something about main characters like Datak or Sthama. Charged blades are fun, but not that usefull in game. Because of that, I want to address some issues about this game :

1. Content delivery - There are only 4 zones in this game. I think Trion should add another zone for exploration, or maybe to add a zone that is located in Europe, who knows what we can find here.

2. Charged blades - Weapon looks really awesome and cool-looking, but I think they should need to be improved, so we can make kinda melee assassin class. I would like to see that.

3. Storyline in DLC is extremely short - There are only few missions and missions that are in arena. After I finished last arena, I was more excited and I though that's where I start, but unfortunately, storyline ended.

4. Main towns - There should be bigger towns, like Defiance filled with side missions and interesting things. That would be awesome.

5. Shadow War - Shadow War is supposed to be full-scale war on open world, but it feels alot empty. I think Trion should add new vehicles ( walking vehicles, light tanks ) and turn into full-scale war. It would be epic.

6. Chat system and user interface - Chat system is confusing in this game and besides that, whole interface. I spent alot time finding out how to invite or trade with others.

I enjoy this game alot and I just don't want this game to follow a dark path where game will die completely. This game has huge potential and Trion is missing alot things in this game. Alot people are dissapointed about content in this game. Game mechanics like ammo system, EGO powers and big variety of weapons are completely fine and normal.

For you Trion, I like you like a company because you make good games like this one and RIFT. I enjoy playing RIFT and it's progressing well. Don't let this game to fall into black hole. GTA V is released and many people will go playing that and leave this game. Destiny will be also released and it's similar to Defiance. I think you will read this message and consider this as a encouragement to make more content and interesting mechanics, weapons and gameplay. Alot people payed for this game and DLC and much of them are disappointed like me. I hope next DLC will be alot better and suprising about new content. Thank you for reading

Escyos
09-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Not directed at you, but why do people go on and on about towns?

The Bay Area is a mining/framing region, not a city. The nearest city is about 100km away.

Satsuki
09-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Because a "Hub Town" with auction houses and such is a big part of most any real MMO. I know its not an "RPG" but still. We, or at least I, want some kind of spiritual "anchor". A reason to actually care about what goes on. Right now when I play I feel like a heavily armed hobo girl amassing large amounts of money for no reason. Slightly better weapons? Not good enough. I know there will be grenade ammo soon but that's the wrong fix for the problem.

Give me a place to "live" in the game, something to build twords, like a house in town that I can upgrade and such, and I'll probably care about playing again.

Skywing
09-18-2013, 07:31 PM
@Escyos :
It was only suggestion, it doesn't mean it should be added, and areas are mostly scaled. Noone will make realistic 100km road to city in game because it needs alot resources to make something like that. I just gave some suggestions because game is going to fall soon if they don't make something that is worth of it. Arkfalls and Volge sieges are great, but they get boring if you do alot times. Most players know that and there are alot threads about that. I just pointed out some things thay could be usefull if they want to add something interesting and worth of buying.

@Satsuki :
Auction house would be nice. Like you said, it's MMO Shooter with core RPG elements, and I want to stay that way. Houses are also nice idea, but for me, it doesn't really fit into MMO shooter ( just my personal oppinion ).

SHADOWBROKER
09-18-2013, 07:53 PM
OP you had said they got sweet gear. i did like it as well when i first started playing now it seems that the armor they give has just gotten lax. i wanted dark matter armor for awhile and when they do give it its just bad its all wrong. ok dont make it the same as theirs but dont change the look. volge helms? will we ever see volge armor? come on devs pick your game up.

Satsuki
09-19-2013, 04:46 PM
@Satsuki :
Auction house would be nice. Like you said, it's MMO Shooter with core RPG elements, and I want to stay that way. Houses are also nice idea, but for me, it doesn't really fit into MMO shooter ( just my personal oppinion ).

Its just how I feel about the game. To me, a shooter means that you've been dropped into an area and you clear it out as part of your mission and go on to the next area. But this is an open world game where we go to the same places all the time. We "live" there, and yet there is nowhere to live at all. Adding more interaction with the world itself wouldn't diminish the game having shooter mechanics and it would go a long way to giving us a reason to care.

If I were my character, at this point I'd be like "Well, I've seen and done everything I can here, they don't want me to stay, so its time to move on". Which, I suppose, is what I've been doing as I haven't played in weeks.

Rumeyes
09-19-2013, 11:21 PM
I have to agree with Escyos. You are all noobs. No need for variety in landscape, content (are you serious???), HUB, full scale PVP (this isnt Planetside), or a working chat system. If you don't like it, go play something else. The game is fine the way it is.

Play this game solo and grind arkfalls or PVP. That's how you become pro. DLC was da BOMB!

melkathi
09-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Hubs can be fun, but a Hub without a chat is pointless. So a truly improved chat system would be great to have for starters. I still don't understand how we got the DLC1 chat "improvement".

Sanguinesun
09-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Hello forum, this is my first post and I'm glad I joined here with the rest of community. Ok, enough introduction, let's get to the point.

Many of the points you've made have been frustrations aired since alpha testing way before release(sans the dlc related stuff obviously) and for months and months subsequently there after.

Best advice I can give is to try not to compare how Trion works with Rift in related to how they do things with Defiance. Doing so will garner you much much less frustration.

Also I would recommend reviewing various sources of information about the pattern of implementation and direction of the game(EP blogs posts/announcements, threads of issues, etc etc) and then perhaps adapt your hopes and expectations for the next DLC accordingly. There is already information out about what much of the next dlc will entail so that should also give you a better idea.

crasher
09-20-2013, 12:56 AM

The Bay Area is a mining/framing region, not a city. The nearest city is about 100km away.
Two points in addition to all the stuff posted above me that was answered already:
1.) San Fran is the main area we're in, a lot has changed since it was a 'city', but there should still be small areas where people still reside in clusters... remnants of suburbs and hubs.
B.) Because it'd give a clearly different feel in specific local areas where commerce and concentrated markets/interactions and 'jobs' could be found/done. Players could have/buy lockboxes in towns to store stuff they don't want to wade through inv for every time they salvage stuff. Players could have an area to specifically go to to check 'msgs/mail' from other players if need be, from when someone was trying to contact a player who wasn't in game at the same time. Social interaction between players not in game simultaneously makes it easier to expand social groups. Clan areas for joining/msging could be concentrated on in game as well.

N3gativeCr33p
09-20-2013, 06:24 AM
The game is fine the way it is.

Play this game solo and grind arkfalls or PVP. That's how you become pro. DLC was da BOMB!

This comment has me totally confused...

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/bryanj87/Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg

Ashlocke
09-20-2013, 09:23 AM
I have a question. It might be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway.
I keep seeing this mantra all over the place of "it's a shooter" in a seeming response to any mention of RPG.

Please explain to me why a shooter can't be an RPG? Or why people can't get an immersive feel from a shooter game?

I'll probably have people point at me and giggle for saying this but I got this game because I "assumed" (yeah, I won't ever do that again) due to the way this game was presented to me before it came out that it was going to be epically immersive, having a TV show tied to it for that extra gimmick tie-in to the whole grand story they were telling which I could actually jump into and participate instead of just watching like most other TV shows.

When I first started playing it was a small adjustment for me to get with the mechanics of HOW to use my attacks, but I just don't see how that changes anything in regards to the game's RPG potential. I'm not a "huge" gamer, my list of past online games is rather small:
Gemstone 3
Everquest
City of Heroes
Champions Online

All of those games are arguably "RPG" games, each has their own way to handle combat, none of those ways makes the RPG element moot. I feel the same way about Defiance, I just don't see how it's combat system makes any immersive RP element moot.

Anyhow, thanks for indulging me.

boom1234567890
09-20-2013, 09:33 AM
wow... DLC #1 was the _____?

id say anyone who says its great needs serious help...

ive broke wind longer than that dlc.... and no co-op in a MMO type game is pure trash.

what i can remember of this game was it was marketed to play with/ and make new friends to tool around, maps, missions, arkfalls, pvp, or what ever you wanted. not get in a xbl party and ask if they made it past the 1st solo arena yet or not.

ive played the game 1 time in the last month, a friend asked to get a leg wolfhound from me that he wanted, so i logged, lagged, re-logged made the trade and then tooled around for about 45 min. bought 22 tier 4 lockboxes with codes n salvage then got 5 leg RL all the same kind and 3 had all the same rolls. so i just put game back on shelf and stop here to see what garbage they are coming out with next so i can clean off the dust play for 1 hr get it done and shelf it again....

this is Defiance... THE MMO FOR SOLO PLAY

Rumeyes
09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
This comment has me totally confused...

I think my signature should give you some insight into that. Btw, for a little peek into DLC#2:

http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=80

3rdpig
09-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Where do farmers sell their produce? Without trucks and safe roads, they either sell it nearby or it rots. Selling it nearby requires some sort of small town or a transport hub, and I can almost gaurantee you that a small town will grow up around a transport hub since the employees there will need food, clothing, shelter and other services.

What do miners have? Usually they have valuable ore. Who wants valuable ore? People who sell services, like prostitution, alcohol, clothes, food, etc, etc. A town almost always springs up near a mine to service those wealthy miners and to service the business folks who are getting wealthy with the ore from the miners.

That's why we go on about cities and towns, because having the closest one 100km from mining and farming communities is unrealistic in a post apocalyptic world.

Rumeyes
09-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I keep seeing this mantra all over the place of "it's a shooter" in a seeming response to any mention of RPG. Please explain to me why a shooter can't be an RPG? Or why people can't get an immersive feel from a shooter game?

Imho those people will probably disagree that a shooter can't be a RPG. However, once you played through the storyquest, which can be considered short, I'd say what remains is either grind or PVP. Once you did the skill grind, PVP is left, and there shooter rules apply. Neither the grind, nor the PVP can be seen as RPG elements. The addition of 3 datapads as "story content" is really walking a fine line on both the "story" and the "content". Although clearly available, RPG content is rather limited in Defiance.

Right now, I can't really come up with a lot of MMO shooters that combine the RPG well, however Firefall (well built world with variety), Phantasy Star Online 2 (lot of content updates) and the upcoming Destiny (yet to be launched) are good contenders. I wouldn't really throw in Dust514 or Planetside 2, I would say those are more "pure" shooters. Others are more MMORPG then shooters. Feel free to correct me.

Another thing that might add to not getting that immersive feeling is that most play this game as a single player shooter. Although presented as multi massive, there is multi, there might be massive, but jeez, this game struggles so much it cuts its own wrists in that department.

Cross content has been there in the form of a few quests and an event, this week it has been announced that a player will make an appearance in season 2 for winning a Defiance contest, but I haven't seen story influence capabilities yet built in the game which effects the show.

Then again, I don't know what Trion/Syfy see as cross content. If it means a few events happen at the same time in both game and show, together with the guest appearance of a player, they could have that covered and not more should be expected.

Skill
09-22-2013, 08:02 AM
.. Firefall (well built world with variety), Phantasy Star Online 2 (lot of content updates) and the upcoming Destiny (yet to be launched) are good contenders. I wouldn't really throw in Dust514 or Planetside 2, I would say those are more "pure" shooters. Others are more MMORPG then shooters.

Planetside 2 murders Defiance in PVP on so many aspects, would be unfair to compare the two titles.

PseudoCool
09-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Planetside 2 murders Defiance in PVP on so many aspects, would be unfair to compare the two titles.

Awesome.. thanks for the information. We'll get to making flyers right away to hand out to all the PvP-whiners that grace Defiance with their magical presence. Your information has been most helpful.

TigrisMorte
09-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Because the non-fawning are honest and point out issues regardless of excuse seeking opportunities?
Just a guess.

TigrisMorte
09-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Where do farmers sell their produce? Without trucks and safe roads, they either sell it nearby or it rots. Selling it nearby requires some sort of small town or a transport hub, and I can almost gaurantee you that a small town will grow up around a transport hub since the employees there will need food, clothing, shelter and other services.

What do miners have? Usually they have valuable ore. Who wants valuable ore? People who sell services, like prostitution, alcohol, clothes, food, etc, etc. A town almost always springs up near a mine to service those wealthy miners and to service the business folks who are getting wealthy with the ore from the miners.

That's why we go on about cities and towns, because having the closest one 100km from mining and farming communities is unrealistic in a post apocalyptic world.

Please kind sirrah, if you continue to insist on using logic and well reasoned opinion you are never going to fit in. You have your choice of A: drooling and fawning over no fault ever made, or B: foaming at the mouth demanding the parentage of all involved be put to the flame.

Get with the program. ;)