PDA

View Full Version : I feel disconnected with the in-game community.

Herox
04-02-2013, 01:53 AM
I feel that for the PC version the chat should be entirely redone. I feel like there is no interaction whatsoever, and if someone does say something you miss it because the chat minimizes. Just the regular old mmo chat screen would be incredible in this game. It would definitely improve game play and interactions between each other. Right now I just feel like I'm playing a single-player game with some co-op every now and then. I would like to be able to announce things, or talk to everyone in a area. I don't know, it's just my opinion.

Graylen
04-02-2013, 01:54 AM
I agree, the chat seems absolutely horrific, it pretty much has no redeeming features to it.
It's almost as if the games singleplayer with a bunch of NPC's

WARBOSS
04-02-2013, 01:55 AM
No. You got two options. be shooty or be choppy. No need for be talky.

Nelob
04-02-2013, 01:59 AM
chat window is rubbish I agree.

MacDeath
04-02-2013, 01:59 AM
Well, I agree the current chat system sux but... Defiance isn't a traditional MMO (where chatting was very important). It's a run & gun shooter with minimalist MMO overlaid. for example, there IS a chat system and it CAN be used. In Alpha we all knew each other so we did chat. In Beta it was pretty much strangers so we rarely chatted.

Herox
04-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Well, I agree the current chat system sux but... Defiance isn't a traditional MMO (where chatting was very important). It's a run & gun shooter with minimalist MMO overlaid. for example, there IS a chat system and it CAN be used. In Alpha we all knew each other so we did chat. In Beta is was pretty much strangers so we rarely chatted.

I agree, but just because it tries to be different doesn't mean it has to cut all communication. All there really needs to be is a consistent screen where people can chat. If it bothers people that much there is always an option to disable it. I really feel that it would help the game out a lot.

Airwolf3169
04-02-2013, 03:53 AM
That chat screen as I recalled in Beta was very small. it the chat screen re sizable?

MacDeath
04-02-2013, 04:04 AM
That chat screen as I recalled in Beta was very small. it the chat screen re sizable?
You can make it HUGE. I don't think you can force it to stay open though. CTL Z I think.

Laughter
04-02-2013, 04:05 AM

If we wanted to be non-social we would play a single player game. :P

Jim1066
04-02-2013, 04:10 AM
The whole point of a MMO is to play with lots of other people. Communication is a key component on any online game, but it's even more important for a MMO.

There's no excuse for the chat system we've got right now. It's completely inadequate. Obviously it's design is inspired by the consoles. I mean how many console players even bother with a keyboard? Still, it should have been done properly, especially if you're going to sell it in the PC market.

Taaltos
04-02-2013, 04:12 AM
This has been beaten to death by Alpha and Beta testers. No one has mentioned anything about it.

The VOIP is STILL auto-on when you group up. I could hear a buddy of mine coughing and sneezing, he had no clue his mic was on.

When you mute a MIC you ALSO end up muting their text chat.

There's no PTT toggle option.

Bleh.

Was hoping this would be fixed by launch.

fsol
04-02-2013, 04:15 AM
Agree with th fact that on pc this needs to change.

At a arkfall some ppl drove hte cars over the skitters...sigh so i explained why not to do in chat.
No one replied or even stopped .

Back (and kk thats the past) in Tabula Rasa i had amazing conversations in the zone chat.

During invasions a lot off ppl would jsut be talking about the day/ingame funstuff/bugs/music ectect.

I also as stated in this thread feel disconnected,its mmotps not a singelplayer.

Laughter
04-02-2013, 04:17 AM
This has been beaten to death by Alpha and Beta testers. No one has mentioned anything about it.

The VOIP is STILL auto-on when you group up. I could hear a buddy of mine coughing and sneezing, he had no clue his mic was on.

When you mute a MIC you ALSO end up muting their text chat.

There's no PTT toggle option.

Bleh.

Was hoping this would be fixed by launch.

I heard myself laughing through my husband's computer like a crazy person. We had to turn it off, lol.

silvertemplar
Well, I agree the current chat system sux but... Defiance isn't a traditional MMO (where chatting was very important). It's a run & gun shooter with minimalist MMO overlaid. for example, there IS a chat system and it CAN be used. In Alpha we all knew each other so we did chat. In Beta it was pretty much strangers so we rarely chatted.

Well to put it in perspective, Planetside 2 got the standard MMO chat system, which is far superior to Defiance's system. So the thing about "it's not a traditional MMO" does not fly. Planetside 2 is even LESS of a traditional MMO than Defiance.

The only reason the chat system is so bad is because it's a console game, period . It's not because Trion didn't know how or didn't feel it does not fit into their plans, they made Rift afterall and there's it's rock solid. It is pure and simply because you can't type on consoles (well you can, but it will not be practical and will be painful unless you bought an accessory).

DCUO, also launched EXACTLY like this. The UI was a disaster, the chat was massive fail. They eventually tweaked it to be "functional", but even today, it's terrible. The reason? The game is running on the console also.

If a game is multi platform and featuring on consoles, i can guarentee you now, forget about any fancy "drag and drop" and heavy keyboard functionality. There is a reason why heavily social games requiring keyboard input and heavy and intricate UI usage does not appear on the console very often, this is one of them.

Jennica Fortune
I agree, I see others and sure we can help each other, but damn if I had wanted Xbox 360 style chatting I would have bought the game on the Xbox 360. In fact, I'm staring to wish I had. Pretty damn bad when a game is available on consoles and PC and I"m wishing I'd gotten the console instead of the PC.

Sex
04-02-2013, 04:18 AM
This game feels like a cheap single player..

Jennica Fortune
04-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Well to put it in perspective, Planetside 2 got the standard MMO chat system, which is far superior to Defiance's system. So the thing about "it's not a traditional MMO" does not fly. Planetside 2 is even LESS of a traditional MMO than Defiance.

The only reason the chat system is so bad is because it's a console game, period . It's not because Trion didn't know how or didn't feel it does not fit into their plans, they made Rift afterall and there's it's rock solid. It is pure and simply because you can't type on consoles (well you can, but it will not be practical and will be painful unless you bought an accessory).

DCUO, also launched EXACTLY like this. The UI was a disaster, the chat was massive fail. They eventually tweaked it to be "functional", but even today, it's terrible. The reason? The game is running on the console also.... for some reason if a game is featuring on the console, this is what you end up with.

Are we playing with console players? If that was the case I could maybe see it, but even then Final Fantasy XI Online allowed PS2 and PC, then later Xbox 360 players... ALL played together on the same servers... but they did NOT have to let the PC users chat suffer. They just had lots of common words available in a database for quick chatting... but PC users or those with keyboards on the console had full chatting.

Airwolf3169
04-02-2013, 04:21 AM
even with text chat. I wish the pc game had been set up like the other two platforms. with voce chat built into the game.

Arsenic_Touch
04-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Can't message people on your friend's list, a mmo without whispers... holy hell.
The chat window is just absolutely atrocious, I don't understand how trion can be happy with it.
This game feels like the beta, just with the map unlocked. Arkfall loot is still turned off and it seems sledge was lying or just misinformed when he said item stats in beta do not reflect what they are in game, unless they made the ego requirement for the next damage level to be insane.

zartanyen
04-02-2013, 04:24 AM
Console is the same way but more annoying to get to the chat can't keep it open it's basically worthless and lets not go into the voice chat I might as well open up skype, vent, teamspeak to talk with people so if I have to run my PC to use a chat option why did I bother getting it for my console ? point was to not have to use my PC.

I blame WOW for all this their the ones who started this hey you can solo in a MMO no need to group make friends or join a guild you can be that all by yourself loner and we will tailor the game to you, now look where we are at the just through the whole chat system into the trash can so we all can do our own thing unless you like meeting people and making friends and doing things with thoes people and talking to them and enjoying the game more because of the people around you no we don't want that just be like the friendless solo guy over their miserable as all hell.

silvertemplar
04-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Are we playing with console players? If that was the case I could maybe see it, but even then Final Fantasy XI Online allowed PS2 and PC, then later Xbox 360 players... ALL played together on the same servers... but they did NOT have to let the PC users chat suffer. They just had lots of common words available in a database for quick chatting... but PC users or those with keyboards on the console had full chatting.

As far as i know, nope, we are all on seperate servers. So yes they could have made a different UI for the PC. However there are some practical concerns around this. Chances are they've built the client to be "fix once, re-compile on other platforms" . The other thing is, they probably have to wait and see which platform draws the most players. There's no point in "forking" their source code into a PC vs. Console when most players are on the Console anyway.

In DCUO's case , for example, this is a Sony game, so i give you 3 guesses why they didn't jack up the PC client? Chances are Sony will gladly tell you how more players are playing DCUO on the PS3 than on the PC (whether it's true , i don't know).

I am however sure they can make it "better" over time. Unless it completely dies on the console, i seriously doubt we'll ever see traditional PC interface features in this game that we find in typical MMOs (i.e. easy dragging and dropping things into slots / inventory etc).

Jennica Fortune
04-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Console is the same way but more annoying to get to the chat can't keep it open it's basically worthless and lets not go into the voice chat I might as well open up skype, vent, teamspeak to talk with people so if I have to run my PC to use a chat option why did I bother getting it for my console ? point was to not have to use my PC.

I blame WOW for all this their the ones who started this hey you can solo in a MMO no need to group make friends or join a guild you can be that all by yourself loner and we will tailor the game to you, now look where we are at the just through the whole chat system into the trash can so we all can do our own thing unless you like meeting people and making friends and doing things with thoes people and talking to them and enjoying the game more because of the people around you no we don't want that just be like the friendless solo guy over their miserable as all hell.

If you are going to bash and blame World of Warcraft for stuff, at least get your facts straight. It's not a solo game. You can't solo the Thunder King, no matter how good you are. At least not until the next expansion when the level cap is 100 or something. They may have made it easier for lower level players to do things on their own, but once you get to maximum level... you can't solo max level dungeons and raids.

Jennica Fortune
04-02-2013, 04:33 AM
As far as i know, nope, we are all on seperate servers. So yes they could have made a different UI for the PC. However there are some practical concerns around this. Chances are they've built the client to be "fix once, re-compile on other platforms" . The other thing is, they probably have to wait and see which platform draws the most players. There's no point in "forking" their source code into a PC vs. Console when most players are on the Console anyway.

In DCUO's case , for example, this is a Sony game, so i give you 3 guesses why they didn't jack up the PC client? Chances are Sony will gladly tell you how more players are playing DCUO on the PS3 than on the PC (whether it's true , i don't know).

I am however sure they can make it "better" over time. Unless it completely dies on the console, i seriously doubt we'll ever see traditional PC interface features in this game that we find in typical MMOs (i.e. easy dragging and dropping things into slots / inventory etc).

The latter I don't mind how it is now, but the chat... the chat is what matters... if you have a question... oh well figure it out yourself. Nobody will answer you, and even if they do... you won't see their answers more than likely. Completely stupid. Thing is, it's such an easy fix... just make the damn chat window NOT auto-minimize... seriously... how hard can that be? In fact, it could even be done on the consoles, as long as there was a toggle for "Chat Auto-Minimize" or something.

Taaltos
04-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Xbox, PS3, and PC are all their own entity. None of them are connected what so ever as has been stated by the dev's numerous times.

There is no cross-platform play, just one game on 3 different platforms.

Ridrith
04-02-2013, 04:39 AM
I agree with you when it feels like the community is very disconnected. The chat system is probably one of the worst ones I've seen in a game that passes itself off as a MMO, or having MMO like features. This needs to be fixed asap. I can only assume that this game is half finished or wasn't really given that little bit of extra shine that it needed so they could meet the deadline of having the game out with the show. I'm starting to feel like I've paid for one of those terrible games that come out alongside a movie.

Jim1066
The latter I don't mind how it is now, but the chat... the chat is what matters... if you have a question... oh well figure it out yourself. Nobody will answer you, and even if they do... you won't see their answers more than likely. Completely stupid. Thing is, it's such an easy fix... just make the damn chat window NOT auto-minimize... seriously... how hard can that be? In fact, it could even be done on the consoles, as long as there was a toggle for "Chat Auto-Minimize" or something.

You're absolutly right. There's no reason this couldn't have been done already. Trion shouldn't be trying to call this an MMO if they aren't going to deliver something as basic as a working chat system that allows all those players to communicate while actually playing the game. IF they have to stop what their doing to go check if anything is going on in the chat, it doesn't count!

I've seen better chat systems in standard FPS games from 15 years ago. Go check out CS or TFC, or BF. They get a chat that works, why not us?

Come on Trion, get your thumbs out of your collective behinds and fix this!

silvertemplar

Oh of course, DCUO's eventual chat is now perfectly fine (after a few iterations and alot of complaints). So i'm sure if we complain enough about this, Trion will fix it. There's no reason they can't have a standard, resizable chat screen with a transparency factor and tabs for each channel, which works both on console and PC.

I think Trion probably have a few things to learn about UIs and MMOs on consoles, so i'm willing to wait and see if they put this on their "road map" . Hopefully they do have a "road map" .

zartanyen
04-02-2013, 05:06 AM
If you are going to bash and blame World of Warcraft for stuff, at least get your facts straight. It's not a solo game. You can't solo the Thunder King, no matter how good you are. At least not until the next expansion when the level cap is 100 or something. They may have made it easier for lower level players to do things on their own, but once you get to maximum level... you can't solo max level dungeons and raids.

The point is you can just about max your guy out by yourself then what magically when you get to where you need people to start to raid is when you should now start using some social skills or try and find some in some peoples cases and people should just accept that person and be all O ok come on lets go, my opinion is so where have you been up till this point? O soloing and being a loner well you go right back to doing that and enjoy I have know these people since I started playing this game or as I met them along the way not hey max level friendless wounder here needing you to raid with because it's the only thing I can't solo.

Thats why I love EQ, and WAR and AOC FOR PVP and needing and wanting those friends and groups early on no soloing till the end and I absolutely need a group in those games.

I can't stand the I bought this MMO to be a loner guy you want to do that go get skyrim and enjoy.

Taaltos
04-02-2013, 05:07 AM
The chat and VOIP feature is something we ***** about for months and never got a very clear response.

*sigh*

Gohlar
04-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Chat needs MAJOR work. Group chat wasn't even working last night. Voice chat stuck on in pvp broadcasting some idiot's game. Yes people should learn how to use their mics but it's never going to happen so let me shut it off.

These are big problems.

adamaant
04-02-2013, 05:24 AM

Ha! Funny. Hard to be chatty when everything you see is trying to kill you every second. I have trouble finding a safe place just to look up my character or inventory.

Blackwolfe
04-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Whispers worked in alpha, no idea why it doesnt on the release client. Very annoying..

Lodestar
04-02-2013, 05:29 AM
If we wanted to be non-social we would play a single player game. :P

Stop talking sense. And hi we keep meeting in the oddest of places.

But yes I saw this thread title and was intrigued. If I am honest I did consider this game to be as was described, earlier here, as a single player game with a bit of co-op. And not really a typical MMO. Actually having been burned out on those, is why I joined. But, I agree that the current chat system is actually discouraging chat. Which makes me wonder if we are the games target audience or not.

I am sesning there may be a polarisation between those who wish to chat and those who don't looking at this already. Time will tell.

GrayGhost
04-02-2013, 07:11 AM
I am very disappointed to hear this still an issue. It will without a doubt drive the masses away with regard to the pc version. Personally the chat and social interactions while playing mom games is why I play them, so I think I'll not bother buying it and just wait for the next mom to come out.

Good luck to everyone.