PDA

View Full Version : why the nerf on the saw

mel
09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
im looking for a replacement for my saw since its been nerfed, is this ncsoft or what!!!!!!!

crasher
09-21-2013, 01:45 PM
A syphon Thunder (provided you hold out for one with decent bonus rolls) and a 1.15 crit barrel / 1.5 mag isn't BAD....

An even LONGER reload time, but not a bad weapon. Tune your overcharge perks to make overcharge hit more often, and you can load it faster.

Face it, no weapon in the game is truely 'good'.

JxSiN
09-21-2013, 01:48 PM
im looking for a replacement for my saw since its been nerfed, is this ncsoft or what!!!!!!!

Taken from a website:

"Trion Worlds, Inc. (previously Trion World Network, Inc.) is an American video game developer and publisher, which focuses primarily on MMOs, particularly of the MMORPG and MMORTS genres. The company was founded in 2006 by Lars Buttler and Jon Van Caneghem, who had each previously worked for EA and NCSoft, respectively."

To answer your question, technically yes it is.

Elysion
09-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Im a newbie and never used the 400 damage saw but the 300 damage saw seems dakka to me. Using a white one (for cheap resets) i get me 20-30k in sieges all the same.

crasher
09-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Im a newbie and never used the 400 damage saw but the 300 damage saw seems dakka to me. Using a white one (for cheap resets) i get me 20-30k in sieges all the same.
Sometimes a half mag of Now-SAW rounds wont take down a badguy, leaving you to take 4.5 seconds to reload or transition to your backup weapon which might be a sniper or BMG, whereas a 1/2 mag of Old-SAW might have left you with a dead badguy and a warm fuzzy feeling.

It's not always about the end damage at an A-fall. Sometimes its whether you can kill that one badguy right now before he kills you.

There were times more frequent back in the beginning where a mess of black blastpods and black archers would spring up, and each one took a full mag plus half a mag of shotgun to put down. It wasn't uncommon to rez 6 or 7 guys at a single instance at one of those. A saw doing 25% less damage means the shotgun that you transitioned to wouldn't finish the job either, and you wouldn't reduce badguys by a single one with both weapons empty at that point.

Ahhh, the olden days... Don't see those black pods and archers so much anymore.... The pods and archers would just overwhelm you to the point where the 3 or 4 guys who were there were all dead and gone.

Xtorma
09-21-2013, 02:45 PM
I cut and trim trees for a living. If they nerf saw's I am fricking going to go put in an application at Wal-Mart.

Dandrielas
09-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Sometimes a half mag of Now-SAW rounds wont take down a badguy, leaving you to take 4.5 seconds to reload or transition to your backup weapon which might be a sniper or BMG, whereas a 1/2 mag of Old-SAW might have left you with a dead badguy and a warm fuzzy feeling.

It's not always about the end damage at an A-fall. Sometimes its whether you can kill that one badguy right now before he kills you.

There were times more frequent back in the beginning where a mess of black blastpods and black archers would spring up, and each one took a full mag plus half a mag of shotgun to put down. It wasn't uncommon to rez 6 or 7 guys at a single instance at one of those. A saw doing 25% less damage means the shotgun that you transitioned to wouldn't finish the job either, and you wouldn't reduce badguys by a single one with both weapons empty at that point.

Ahhh, the olden days... Don't see those black pods and archers so much anymore....

I remember those days. I kind of miss seeing 20 blastpods and archers popping up killing you within seconds.

As for the Saw, I prefer the Vot Disrupter because it looks cooler. /shrug

crasher
09-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I cut and trim trees for a living. If they nerf saw's I am fricking going to go put in an application at Wal-Mart.
New reg's OSHA is proposing: The only time the chain moves is while you're pulling the starter cord.

Azubaz
09-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Better start pushin that pencil.

crasher
09-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I remember those days. I kind of miss seeing 20 blastpods and archers popping up killing you within seconds.

As for the Saw, I prefer the Vot Disrupter because it looks cooler. /shrug

I understand the disrupter has no fall-off?
I have ignored it so far because of the lower damage/round and (Damage/round)*Mag number. The only reason I entertain the Thunder is the 180 round mag and the hope of procing syphon during that time.

The VOT Blast Rifle was a stupid-great weapon for procing before they nerfed it... I could take down a Volge/mag with that thing alone.

Dandrielas
09-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I understand the disrupter has no fall-off?
I have ignored it so far because of the lower damage/round and (Damage/round)*Mag number. The only reason I entertain the Thunder is the 180 round mag and the hope of procing syphon during that time.

The VOT Blast Rifle was a stupid-great weapon for procing before they nerfed it... I could take down a Volge/mag with that thing alone.

I haven't noticed any fall off with it. If you don't ADS with it, you can miss with how the rounds shoot out, but overall it is very accurate and procs often.

I never tried the Vot Blast Rifle. I always preferred the VBI Tactical Rifle.

Elysion
09-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Sometimes

Well, as i see it, the saw is a very good weapon for a specific loadout. Its superior to an AR if you use preparedness and switch between your weapons frequently, using both about evenly. Currently as im leveling LMGs and detonators, im doing just that.

Ive already maxed AR, and as a 'im gonna use this 90% of the time' sort of thing, a good AR is obviously superior.

But when paired with preparedness and frequent use of the other weapon the SAW ends up being something that does decent damage per hit, decent rate of fire, decently easy to control once modded, and you never have to reload it. I use it for finishing things off after blowing everything up. Single tapping it works well enough for sniping at range, its accurate enough to headshot elites and stuff to kill them moderately effectively. And it works just as well as an ar at killing generic trash everything at usual ranges.

Its basically just an all around mediocre gun with a large magazine that you rarely need to reload and which fires slow enough with just enough damage per hit that you are not likely to run out of ammo either.

I think thats fine. Its big happy generic machine gun, does the job.

Whats not fine is the other LMGs. But you all already knew that, ive read these forums, i watched this whole thing unfold through internet timetravel.

crasher
09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Well, as i see it, the saw is a very good weapon for a specific loadout. Its superior to an AR if you use preparedness and switch between your weapons frequently, using both about evenly. Currently as im leveling LMGs and detonators, im doing just that.

Ive already maxed AR, and as a 'im gonna use this 90% of the time' sort of thing, a good AR is obviously superior.

But when paired with preparedness and frequent use of the other weapon the SAW ends up being something that does decent damage per hit, decent rate of fire, decently easy to control once modded, and you never have to reload it. I use it for finishing things off after blowing everything up. Single tapping it works well enough for sniping at range, its accurate enough to headshot elites and stuff to kill them moderately effectively. And it works just as well as an ar at killing generic trash everything at usual ranges.

Its basically just an all around mediocre gun with a large magazine that you rarely need to reload and which fires slow enough with just enough damage per hit that you are not likely to run out of ammo either.

I think thats fine. Its big happy generic machine gun, does the job.

Whats not fine is the other LMGs. But you all already knew that, ive read these forums, i watched this whole thing unfold through internet timetravel.
I'm 20 on everything so I've been doing this a while.
I dont make claims to 'doing it WELL', just a while.

I used to use the SAW and CS-X (before they nerfed shotgun mag size) with preparedness, and it worked well.

Shotgun mag nerf.

Since then the mag on the shotgun is small enough that the SAW doesn't fully reload.
The lower round count in the abbreviated SAW reload means the shotgun doesn't fully reload.
The shotgun loads fewer rounds... etc, you see where this is going....

Eventually, (several iterations) I'm pulling out a SAW with 12 rounds in it and I have to manually reload it anyway.

And I still have the random reload bug where the animation happens 2 or 3 times in a row.... or it'll reload at half a mag...

I stopped using the SAW.

Now with the damage is reduced, the SAW is worth little more to many of us old 'vets' than something to compare as a 'usta be' weapon.
All my saws were modded as snipers, or crit barreled for proc, or damage barrels and flame or electric for crowd control.

Scope bugs on ARs mean it's looking down the side of an AR instead of thru a scope. Mod bug means I can't reuse multiple dozens of mods in my inv.

The game is becoming less satisfying all the time.

Bonehead
09-21-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm 20 on everything so I've been doing this a while.
I dont make claims to 'doing it WELL', just a while.

I used to use the SAW and CS-X (before they nerfed shotgun mag size) with preparedness, and it worked well.

Shotgun mag nerf.

Since then the mag on the shotgun is small enough that the SAW doesn't fully reload.
The lower round count in the abbreviated SAW reload means the shotgun doesn't fully reload.
The shotgun loads fewer rounds... etc, you see where this is going....

Eventually, (several iterations) I'm pulling out a SAW with 12 rounds in it and I have to manually reload it anyway.

And I still have the random reload bug where the animation happens 2 or 3 times in a row.... or it'll reload at half a mag...

I stopped using the SAW.

Now with the damage is reduced, the SAW is worth little more to many of us old 'vets' than something to compare as a 'usta be' weapon.
All my saws were modded as snipers, or crit barreled for proc, or damage barrels and flame or electric for crowd control.

Scope bugs on ARs mean it's looking down the side of an AR instead of thru a scope. Mod bug means I can't reuse multiple dozens of mods in my inv.

The game is becoming less satisfying all the time.

^^this^^ in spades good sir or madame
and can someone PLEASE explain to me the 1.05 mag buff???

Bentu
09-22-2013, 01:14 AM

This^.

I'm having to re mod 20+ weapons due to this bug costing in excess of 10k a gun.

On topic, get yourself a Heavy Carbine. Does 444dmg and if you mod it with a +3 mag it becomes quite effective.

lokiscamaro
09-22-2013, 01:16 AM
i got super lucky and looted a blue thunder with fire nano like two days before the SAW nerf. paired with either my fire AR or my fire tachmag pulser it is fun as he)) to just light stuff up. mag on the thunder is very saw like, but since the rate is higher and you need to let it rock for a second to get its full potential, you need to be judicious with it. balanced with a good secondary weapon, the thunder is superior to the current SAW, imho.

Spiltmilk
09-22-2013, 02:47 AM
This^.

I'm having to re mod 20+ weapons due to this bug costing in excess of 10k a gun.

On topic, get yourself a Heavy Carbine. Does 444dmg and if you mod it with a +3 mag it becomes quite effective.

Yep, the vendor at Top Notch sells a mighty sexy Heavy Assault Carbine.

i got super lucky and looted a blue thunder with fire nano like two days before the SAW nerf. paired with either my fire AR or my fire tachmag pulser it is fun as he)) to just light stuff up. mag on the thunder is very saw like, but since the rate is higher and you need to let it rock for a second to get its full potential, you need to be judicious with it. balanced with a good secondary weapon, the thunder is superior to the current SAW, imho.

Agreed, the Thunder is currently my choice of LMG. The weakness of this gun is the reload time.

The extended mag III increases the mag size from 120 to 180, but it's reload time is insanely high even the Overcharge isn't enough to satisfy. Better to get extended mag as a bonus and use a reload mod. As an alternative from lockboxes and item drops, I believe the vendor at the Consulate sells a version with multiple reload bonuses; the EMC LMG.

Atticus Batman
09-22-2013, 03:27 AM

Don't worry, you have NO knowledge of a pre-nerf Saw if you really did just join this month, because the saw nerf was released with the release of the castithan DLC. Therefore if you like the current Saw, just keep enjoying it and don't worry about this thread.

Lasse B
09-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Get the 350 dmg SAW from Top Notch, add a Power Bore III and Controlled Burst mod and off you go.

Holy Bahamut3
09-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Game nerfs make me a sad panda..

Wizx13
09-22-2013, 10:24 AM
I like the Volge MK1 rifle from the seiges. I put a burst mod in it and when you hold down the trigger it will fire 3 shots at once 2 or 3 times in 1 clip.

Bentu
09-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Get the 350 dmg SAW from Top Notch, add a Power Bore III and Controlled Burst mod and off you go.

Curious as to what the Control Burst mod would do to an already automatic weapon?

Edit.

I think the post above may of answered my question.

philip
09-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Taken from a website:

"Trion Worlds, Inc. (previously Trion World Network, Inc.) is an American video game developer and publisher, which focuses primarily on MMOs, particularly of the MMORPG and MMORTS genres. The company was founded in 2006 by Lars Buttler and Jon Van Caneghem, who had each previously worked for EA and NCSoft, respectively."

To answer your question, technically yes it is.

Like anyone cares if you play or not!

crasher
09-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Not to argue for the sake of argument, But:
I care, as do most of the people who know him or have benefited from his work in making and collecting FAQs and posts about info needed in game.
He's been tireless at coordinating stuff for our usage, and he knows a metric tonne of things thru game play that he shares on a regular basis.

When he's gone, all that info leaves with him and newbs are all left scratching virtual butts wondering wtf to do, or what something means.

Other than that, I hope the rest of your day is as filled with mirth and good cheer as it so far appears to have been.

Bonehead
09-22-2013, 03:43 PM
not to argue for the sake of argument, but:
I care, as do most of the people who know him or have benefited from his work in making and collecting faqs and posts about info needed in game.
He's been tireless at coordinating stuff for our usage, and he knows a metric tonne of things thru game play that he shares on a regular basis.

When he's gone, all that info leaves with him and newbs are all left scratching virtual butts wondering wtf to do, or what something means.

Other than that, i hope the rest of your day is as filled with mirth and good cheer as it so far appears to have been.

^^^this^^^

JxSiN
09-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Apparently two people more than those that care if you wake up breathing tomorrow. Take care and sleep tight :)

But seriously, thank you crasher and bonehead. Someone had actually PMed me a few days ago and asked me why I even had the list link even up anymore. Basically I told that person that the list link as well as my guides weren't made for Trion, but for the players. Those players shouldn't have to be left out in the dark or suffer because I disapprove of Trion now. However, I did have a couple of other guides that I was working on that are on indefinite hiatus. I still will update that thread if someone comes to me with a new guide (although I do not check this forum every day anymore).

Atticus Batman
09-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Apparently two people more than those that care if you wake up breathing tomorrow. Take care and sleep tight :)

But seriously, thank you crasher and bonehead. Someone had actually PMed me a few days ago and asked me why I even had the list link even up anymore. Basically I told that person that the list link as well as my guides weren't made for Trion, but for the players. Those players shouldn't have to be left out in the dark or suffer because I disapprove of Trion now. However, I did have a couple of other guides that I was working on that are on indefinite hiatus. I still will update that thread if someone comes to me with a new guide (although I do not check this forum every day anymore).

I care as well JxSin, and thanx for the list. I am always referring new people to it. I found myself having to refer to it recently for some reminders as well.

Atticus Batman
09-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Curious as to what the Control Burst mod would do to an already automatic weapon?

Edit.

I think the post above may of answered my question.

Btw that control burst mod is useless on autos with a reallyfast firing rate, like some smgs. I mean why mess with a good thing?