PDA

View Full Version : would you play monthly fees for defiance if...

AmnesiaHaze
09-21-2013, 06:01 PM
... it would offer in return:

- more frequent bug fixes and patches
- more frequent content addition such as story , new areas , coop maps , even raids
- better server stability
- more customization and items you can purchase for in game currency
- better character progression , skill development , rewards for being high ego , increased level cap
- various other improvements

i think i would pay monthly if it would be a reasonable price , how about u?

Spiltmilk
09-21-2013, 06:11 PM
I would leave the game, but I won't be upset over it if that is what they choose to do.

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 06:12 PM

- more frequent content addition such as story , new areas , coop maps , even raids
- better character progression , skill development , rewards for being high ego , increased level cap

Short answer: nope.

Long answer: A sub wouldnt even bring all of that because they've shown they cant deliver on what they say. I wouldnt dare give them cash monthly to say x then kite reasons every week for months of why they couldnt deliver. Or saying they will do/have/give x and watch it turn out to be nothing of what they stated it would be originally. Someone might as well just invest in the brooklyn bridge.

MistressLiliana
09-21-2013, 06:15 PM
No, I am a strong believer in the free to play model as I just do not have the disposable monthly income to pay monthly for any game. There are enough free options that I can take my business to. Also, I really doubt a monthly fee is enough to get Trion to pull themselves together regarding this game.

Xaearth
09-21-2013, 06:16 PM
No.

There are too many shooters (without monthly fees of their own) that, simply put, have been implemented and designed better than Defiance for it to be worth paying a monthly fee for.

That said, I've never been a fan of shooters so *shrug*.

I came here chasing that mythical MMO that had potential of actually being based on player skill and knowledge rather than a focus on gear, something that seemed to fit the concept of a shooter well.

Maybe if Defiance launched with a sub fee and had a drastically different and amazingly spectacular launch (which would have been a requirement with so many options in the world of shooters that don't have sub fees), things would've been different.

But I wouldn't have bought into it.

Arsenic_Touch
09-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Why should you pay a subscription fee for shtako that should've been present in the live game? Paying them more money isn't going to accomplish any of that.

3rdpig
09-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Yes, with caveats. And those caveats are that they provide a mostly bug free game, lag and disconnect free servers, a minimum of 20 hours a month of new game content and some kind of progression or reward for continued play.

If they can't provide at least that why would I pay? I've already put about $150 into Defiance between myself and my GF and while I feel as if I've gotten my money's worth, I'm a gamer, not an investor. Show me the roadmap and some sample of the content and I might be willing to sign up.

TAG
09-21-2013, 06:31 PM
No.........................

AmnesiaHaze
09-21-2013, 06:40 PM
looks like the monthly fees arent very popular , i just had the idea to ask u guys as i realized today alone for the bits i spent on defiance i could subscribe to FFXIV for two years

crasher
09-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Yes, with caveats. And those caveats are that they provide a mostly bug free game, lag and disconnect free servers, a minimum of 20 hours a month of new game content and some kind of progression or reward for continued play.

If they can't provide at least that why would I pay? I've already put about $150 into Defiance between myself and my GF and while I feel as if I've gotten my money's worth, I'm a gamer, not an investor. Show me the roadmap and some sample of the content and I might be willing to sign up.

Well said, Good Sow or Boar.

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 06:58 PM
looks like the monthly fees arent very popular , i just had the idea to ask u guys as i realized today alone for the bits i spent on defiance i could subscribe to FFXIV for two years

o.O *shakes his head in disbelief at what you've spent on this game* That just makes me wince.

Monthly fees have value if the company/game can be trusted to deliver on the products and services you receive for those fees -and- the you are willing and able to pay. People will always say to not opt for sub fees because obviously they want the most value for the least amount of costs. Current market is awash with tons of f2p b2p and hybrid subs making a straight up sub game harder to compete.

AmnesiaHaze
09-21-2013, 07:07 PM
i spent 50 days playtime on defiance , if i consider that it was well worth all the money i spent , i was doing some gambling with boxes to get oranges and got lot of costumes that kept me entertained to play, id waste the money on something else instead if not on bits so dont worry bout that :D

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 07:16 PM
i spent 50 days playtime on defiance , if i consider that it was well worth all the money i spent , i was doing some gambling with boxes to get oranges and got lot of costumes that kept me entertained to play, id waste the money on something else instead if not on bits so dont worry bout that :D

Still, for the 300+ bucks on Defiance for 50 days you could've bought 15+ games that would've lasted you longer and still had enough left over for a Freelancer package on SC or some similar shebang. :P

Chump Norris
09-21-2013, 07:52 PM
No. I dont pay subscriptions.

AmnesiaHaze
09-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Still, for the 300+ bucks on Defiance for 50 days you could've bought 15+ games that would've lasted you longer and still had enough left over for a Freelancer package on SC or some similar shebang. :P

well considering i havent really played my bioshock infinite , metro last light and last of us because i was always on defiance , those games could be considered a waste of money more, but they on my backlog and ill play em sometime

there is no game i want and havent bought already ... except those that werent released

also games cost 50-60 EUR here , so for 300 id get 5-6 , not 15+ :)

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 08:18 PM
well considering i havent really played my bioshock infinite , metro last light and last of us because i was always on defiance , those games could be considered a waste of money more, but they on my backlog and ill play em sometime

there is no game i want and havent bought already ... except those that werent released

also games cost 50-60 EUR here , so for 300 id get 5-6 , not 15+ :)

Humble Bundles, Steam, GoG, and of course tons of other similar ones. Steam's summer sale alone was good this year. :P Your euros can go much much longer when you do that. :P

Maixx
09-21-2013, 08:28 PM

In other words a completely different game...

Sanguinesun
09-21-2013, 10:22 PM
In other words a completely different game...

And from a completely different company.

Bonehead
09-21-2013, 10:26 PM
thats a chit tonne of mighty big ifs there OP

medvampire
09-21-2013, 10:54 PM
No. If I had not put almost $100 in it with the upgrade and season pass I might. If some great content, kinda may think about it but as it sits no.

Jallace Ryngz
09-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Short answer: nope.

Long answer: A sub wouldnt even bring all of that because they've shown they cant deliver on what they say. I wouldnt dare give them cash monthly to say x then kite reasons every week for months of why they couldnt deliver. Or saying they will do/have/give x and watch it turn out to be nothing of what they stated it would be originally. Someone might as well just invest in the brooklyn bridge.

Invest in the Brooklyn bridge before or after it was terraformed?

vizibledog
09-22-2013, 12:25 AM
No I wouldn't pay a sub. Other than buying the game and DLC I haven't spent anything on Defiance.

duction
09-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Not a chance in hell

Bentu
09-22-2013, 12:49 AM

I wouldn't pay fees to play any online game, Defiance is a great game that runs in conjunction with a TV programme that gets more than enough income from advertising.
They also get income from the sale of add ons further dlcs and bits.

I think if they started to charge us to play it, that would be the final straw and I would actually put the game back in the box for good.

MindFreak
09-22-2013, 12:53 AM
ILL KEEP IT SIMPLE! Hell No!

Edit- And from me already knowing all the promises they said they would keep they dont or it just takes them 5-6 months to fix it then they still screw it up and have to wait another 2-3 months to fix the screw up they made on fixing the original problem.

MindFreak
09-22-2013, 12:55 AM
just wait this next so called patch with DLC 2 they're supposed to be fixing issues that they so called thought they fixed and when they release the next fix something else will happen and they'll have to fix the fix that was for the original fix for the beginning problem.

MacDeath
09-22-2013, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure a monthly sub would drive most players away. IMO, games like this are only fun with lots of others playing. So, it there were a sub I would leave.

crasher
09-22-2013, 02:14 AM
I'd pay $2 to $4/month to keep the lights on and the servers running, if they stopped ****ing around with bug fixes that dont fix, and nerfs to weapons we dont want nerfed.

The devs need to eat, too, ya know.
You think cutting off the Mt Dew and Doritos is gonna make them work morebetter?

Spiltmilk
09-22-2013, 02:20 AM
I'd pay $2 to $4/month to keep the lights on and the servers running, if they stopped ****ing around with bug fixes that dont fix, and nerfs to weapons we dont want nerfed.

You think cutting off the Mt Dew and Doritos is gonna make them work morebetter?

I can send them the other half of my footlong Quiznos sandwich for lunch. They might have to rock, paper, scissor for it though, not sure how many employees they have. They probably eat better than us. Nothing to worry about.

Valdrane78
09-22-2013, 02:24 AM

20 hours a month is a bit much, and damn near unfeasible. That's 240 hours a year, it would equate to 6 full RPG games a year. Which is ridiculous. Something more realistic like say 40 hours a year, or 3.3 hours a month (1 DLC a month), but it would have to be quality content.

Lets not forget, all of this would have to be downloaded onto consoles as well, and no console coudl hold that much information.

As for answering the OP. The answer is HELL NO. Trion doesn't deserve my money now, and their track record is just horrible, I wouldn't trust them to put my monthly sub to good use.

Bentu
09-22-2013, 02:25 AM

Kinda makes you think if they were paid on results would we have so many bugs in the game.

Yrkul
09-22-2013, 02:51 AM
I don't mind paying subscription fees for a quality MMO. However, for Defiance to qualify for subs they'll have to offer 4-5 times the content they have now, reliable services and a much better content update strategy.

I have left games I subscribed to after their transition to F2P due to the subsequent decline in quality. Being free doesn't make a game better.

Atticus Batman
09-22-2013, 03:00 AM

No, I bought this game because it is not a monthly fee. I refuse to buy a sub game. Having to pay for the game, EVERY dlc/expansion AND a monthly fee is rediculous. No game is worth all that extra money loss.

I800WHOCARES
09-22-2013, 03:07 AM

frist of all that would mean that trion would have to stop braking more then thiey fix i took a week brake from the game on the xbox 360 and went and played some other games then got talked into coming back for a game of defiance and guess what i got kicked of the sever with in 15 mins of playing so i see nothing has been fixed at all and before you say its my internet connection its not i am on brand new fiber optics that was just run in the past 6 months so every thing is brand new

Atticus Batman
09-22-2013, 03:14 AM
frist of all that would mean that trion would have to stop braking more then thiey fix i took a week brake from the game on the xbox 360 and went and played some other games then got talked into coming back for a game of defiance and guess what i got kicked of the sever with in 15 mins of playing so i see nothing has been fixed at all and before you say its my internet connection its not i am on brand new fiber optics that was just run in the past 6 months so every thing is brand new

I agree it's probably NOT your connection, but remember BRAND NEW does NOT always make things better. Brand new fiber optics in a neighborhood for instance is NOT necessarily better, because that means nobody in the neighborhood has used and tested that new line yet. You could use it only for the fiber optics to go out and the company to run tests and discover the installed faulty cables, witch will me lots of down time to that hood since their fiber is being replaced and as such more money loss to the company who will then have to way the cost/profits of replacing the faulty fiber or just NOT offering it to your area anymore.

Sanguinesun
09-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Kinda makes you think if they were paid on results would we have so many bugs in the game.

There was release performance conditions on em. That's why 70% of em got laid off in May and then another wave of em dropped this month, really. Its just a small crew now maintaining the pilot light.

N3gativeCr33p
09-22-2013, 04:49 AM
There's no way in hell I would pay a monthly fee for this game, when I'm already paying a monthly fee for a PS3 MMO.

Looking at Friday's webcast, it seems like they run on alcohol. Which might explain some things.

Rumeyes
09-22-2013, 06:20 AM

Clearly no.

Aside the obvious fact that Defiance isn't worth the pay, the climate in the current market isn't likely to support a sub. Basically it's like this: If you are a big company capable of pushing content (which is a risky investment on its own) you might be able to launch a MMO with a montly sub. If you are one of the lesser guys, it's very likely you can not keep up.

Imho Defiance structure of B2P + cashshop is the basics. Their income now should come from fluff and DLC. If you want to make a RPG shooter, but you don't have the cash to push like the big boys, then Defiance should make DLC content with story quests that are repeatable. Breaking up the current storyquest so you can do that, helps with that.

MMO's have fallen quickly trying to milk the consumer with B2P + sub + cashshop. Look at a game like Phantasy Star 2 that is Free-to-Play. It's pushing content like a mother****er and you got costumes coming out faster then you can say WTF. I am just talking about their RPG content vs. income structure. I know Trick doesn't consider PSO2 to be a MMO.

Defiance still holds a niche, that is a scifi mmo that is linked with a tv-show advertising their symbiotic bond. If it doesn't hold up to that promise though, it will be seen as just another scifi MMO that might die as soon as Destiny launches.

What I am trying to say is, I might be willing to pay another $30,- for 1 DLC that delivers a good package, then another season pack of DLC's that gives me 5x nothing. But montly sub? That ain't gonna work. Not for Defiance anyway.

Offtopic: Fix the MMO-part of this game. If you want RPG, you don't want 90% of the people to be soloing. That's alright for a FPS shooter, it's bad for a RPG shooter. We got nothing that draws us or binds us together in the game. That can be established not only by DLC. There are other ways.