PDA

View Full Version : Will the new DLC be enough to bring players back to the game?

Skill
09-28-2013, 10:00 AM
So as of late, I've noticed a lot of people playing other MMO's but 2 names of MMO's that pop up are:

F.. and F..XIV (seems calling out the names of MMO's are bad or something, so I won't name them).

With the upcoming new DLC2, I would like to discuss if DLC2 will bring enough to get players back and if you think the DLC, compared to other DLC's is "heavy" enough to withstand the test of time?

Valdrane78
09-28-2013, 11:20 AM
That really depends on the player. Gamers are a diverse group with different likes and dislikes, some prefer story over combat, others visa versa, while others prefer short arena type matches and yet even another group who loves the PvP aspect of gaming. The trick for developers is to get a good mix of everything going and to provide proper support for each. Which is something Trion has yet to achieve with this game.

Trion lost a great deal of respect from a lot of players when they revealed they were going to do nothing about the exploiters in PvP, which is a big no no. It's akin to them stating it's ok to cheat.

Then they lost a lot of respect from the story people by putting in lackluster story and data recorders and calling it a story.

The players will return when Trion can pull a cohesive game out of Defiance instead of the buffet style of gaming they currently have going. And I think it will take a major expac to do so, not a small DLC.

r2nddan
09-28-2013, 02:15 PM
So as of late, I've noticed a lot of people playing other MMO's but 2 names of MMO's that pop up are:

F.. and F..XIV (seems calling out the names of MMO's are bad or something, so I won't name them).

With the upcoming new DLC2, I would like to discuss if DLC2 will bring enough to get players back and if you think the DLC, compared to other DLC's is "heavy" enough to withstand the test of time?
what will bring people back will be when they fix the lockboxes. also, if they add a lot more coop instances and story missions expansions. dlc 2 looks horrible in my opinion. the new people in charge should research the fact that they are tweeking grenades that were never a problem to begin with. oh and a lot more badass guns might bring some people back.
as for me, ive been here off and on since release, and i still come back. its a weird love hate relationship that i cant explain.

dbcameron
09-28-2013, 08:10 PM
They have a long road ahead of them to rebuild this game. I hope they can do it, and I hope the new arkfalls and spikes can add enough interest to keep people here. The game is fun, but the team has a history or killing all long term goals with out even realizing what they're doing.

But who know maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of their ***es this time.

hardy83
09-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I REALLY doubt games like FFXIV took a lot of Defiance players away, they are very much two entirely different types of games.

FFXIV taking some Rift players? Yeah maybe.
Destiny taking some Defiance players? Yeah.
FFXIV taking Defiance players? Probably not much if any.

And the only thing to really boost the player base is a marketing push, an expansion, a "reboot" like FFXIV (which could be the expansion).

The game currently has a 60 something metacritic score and most sites don't even talk about it. They all want the next new thing and so do consumers. It's going to be hard with huge games coming out along with new systems.

It's going to be hard.

DLC won't bring many new people in. The only thing right now that could bring in a lot of people is if the players start telling people the game is good and they buy it. Word of mouth stuff.

Maixx
09-28-2013, 08:29 PM
What would bring people back?
They need to fix the Damn game, all the broken stuff, and fix the connection, dc, and hard freeze BS.

Rumeyes
09-28-2013, 11:19 PM
I am assuming the first one refers to Firefall, the game is repetitive. Might change once they throw in the storyline and open pvp. I would say then it's only slightly better then Defiance, but in short, no the new DLC does not hold any weight.

Unless they actually bring a new continent with a varied landscape (maybe a hub), a continued storyline with 2 co-op instances, improved pvp, some new vehicles (saw some requests for motorbikes and airvehicles), etc. this remains a simple 3rd person shooter.

Which is alright, if you are looking for that. But for a MMO, the DLC is really too thin to keep people playing.

Aside from all the fixes that need to be implemented.

DLC won't bring many new people in. The only thing right now that could bring in a lot of people is if the players start telling people the game is good and they buy it. Word of mouth stuff.

The game isn't that good you'd recommend it, and good games get that word of mouth stuff started all by themselves. Maybe the two are related?

Littleweasel
09-28-2013, 11:19 PM
i rarely play now myself, but dlc 2 is not looking any where near interesting enough to bring back the people that have left the game from what i have seen of it it so far.

the crap that they are bringing out in dlc 2 should not even be considered a paid for dlc since they are really just tweaking the ark falls and adding stuff to them that should have been in the game from the begining.

imo the only 3 things that will bring players back to the game, and justify the price of the dlc are:
1 - open up the map more with a continuing of the story with at least 4-5 hrs minimum of new mission continuing from where the main story line left off. with some more side missions also.
2 - at least 2 or 3 new co-op maps
3 - and for the people that actually like the crappy pvp in this game at least 2 more new maps 1 for each game type

jarmin kell
09-29-2013, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=Valdrane78;1285805]That really depends on the player. Gamers are a diverse group with different likes and dislikes, some prefer story over combat, others visa versa, while others prefer short arena type matches and yet even another group who loves the PvP aspect of gaming. The trick for developers is to get a good mix of everything going and to provide proper support for each. Which is something Trion has yet to achieve with this game.

Trion lost a great deal of respect from a lot of players when they revealed they were going to do nothing about the exploiters in PvP, which is a big no no. It's akin to them stating it's ok to cheat.

Then they lost a lot of respect from the story people by putting in lackluster story and data recorders and calling it a story.

The players will return when Trion can pull a cohesive game out of Defiance instead of the buffet style of gaming they currently have going. And I think it will take a major expac to do so, not a small DLC.[/QUOTE

Agree with all of this, and they created these forums for our feed back and what we like and definitely what we don't like. The other problem is I know Trion personnel read this because you talk about selling Diablo legend they will close the thread. Uhh ohh

Bonehead
09-29-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm gonna go with "no" for 600 Alex

What will bring people to this game is getting it out of beta.

Pasha
09-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Only two things can bring me back from APB: information about non-stop "orange" drops and free paratrooper suit (http://imgur.com/p1ug8UA). Not for long though.

Big Jack Shepard
09-29-2013, 03:07 AM
When have gamers "come back" in any appreciable sense?

Trion needs to placate US, not some nebulous other.

Losobal
09-29-2013, 03:15 AM
I took a break for awhile. Roughly after the season ended and then played a bit when the castian stuff came out, but otherwise, took another break.

Here's the issue I see. I'm a casual player so to sustain my interest, things need to be decently engaging. Now I'm not saying I don't have fun when I play, but when I did an analysis of my game time with this game, it came down to Arkfalls and Chase daily/weekly tasks. And on the horizon, it seemed like that was pretty much going to be the way of things. Again, fun stuff, but not something you feel you need to do every day. Its not that I feel underpowered, or stuck in a grind. Sure there's a grind, but its open enough that you're not 'locked into feeble' until you open up the uber stuff.

Its just that its not really something you feel compelled to play regularly. Repetitive does not always mean bad, but at the same time it does tend to mean that eventually (everyone has a different threshold) you'll get tired with it and want to try other stuff.

TAG
09-29-2013, 03:25 AM
Well if this answers your question......I have 100 friends on xbox (most of them were added because of Defiance). Now when I get online I'll have 40 friends online with only about 2 of them on Defiance. Most everybody has gone to Diablo 3 and Grand Theft Auto on my list (including myself). Ill never again purchase another Trion development.

Skill
09-29-2013, 04:46 PM
When have gamers "come back" in any appreciable sense?

Trion needs to placate US, not some nebulous other.

Granted, Trion needs to support the existing playerbase, I just kinda put the people who left in the same pool. I would say that gamers do come back with the right stimuli, how else can Defiance (or other MMO'sfor that matter) retain continuity?

nitroz76
09-29-2013, 05:50 PM
temporarily.

I want more sieges, but for now, I've been enjoying GTA V.
Online is going to be a hoot.

Reichlyn
09-29-2013, 05:55 PM

this game is dead. I dont see it lasting another 6 months.