PDA

View Full Version : In game voice chat questions

Shadow Andreas
10-21-2013, 12:43 PM
First off let me say that I have been around for a while now and I do know there are issues and Trion is working on a new chat system. When the DAWN PATROL has 8 or less people we tend to use Xbox Live Party, so our Death March this weekend was the first time I've really tried using the in game voice chat...and it was really hard to use. Not everyone could talk with each other and it seemed as though we were broken up into random voice chat groups even though we were all in the same place. So my 2 part question is as follows:

How many people are supported at one time in each of the different chat channels (Area, zone, clan...etc)? Is this going to be improved with the new chat system?

N3gativeCr33p
10-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Is this going to be improved with the new chat system?

I certainly hope so... would have easily made our death march SO much more fun if we all could've been laughing it up in area chat.

Shadow Andreas
10-21-2013, 01:14 PM
I certainly hope so... would have easily made our death march SO much more fun if we all could've been laughing it up in area chat.

I know....it was a ton of fun but I feel that some people were "left out", me included, in some of the conversations.

wow so dev
10-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Wow much sad,

I'm sorry you had a rough time with the voice chat, and I'm looking into improving it along with text chat. Improving the social aspects of the game is very important to me, so if you have a chance could you reply with how many people, generally, were trying to talk to one another?

Atticus Batman
10-22-2013, 08:30 PM
I know....it was a ton of fun but I feel that some people were "left out", me included, in some of the conversations.

Andreas how did you Conjure up your very own NEW dev?!

Ok jokes aside, help Wow out. We could use a better chat. On topic, I don't think it matters how many people are talking. There could only be 2 people in clan chat, one on mic and one typing. The one typing can't always hear the voice chat. The one talking can't always see the text. I would say BOTH aspects have been EXtremely bugged since atleast beta, maybe longer. Not sure just know I have been around since beta and it has NEVER worked right!

kendillin
10-22-2013, 09:51 PM
I could hear, talk, type, and see text on the clan channel. All at the same time.
Area voice chat didn't work nearly as well. (Guess that's not much help)

I use text chat all the time. It seems to work fine to me. I guess it could be more convenient. Kinda liked the old one better.

My biggest problem with the in game chat is that the ego calls and text don't mute. EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN TURN THEM OFF.

kendillin
10-22-2013, 10:29 PM
About area voice chat:
At maybe over 6-8 people, I couldn't talk to the people I could hear. I was also only hearing one side of some conversations.
It didn't seem to matter where I was distance-wise to anyone either. (Does that help?)

It probably didn't help that at least one other person was switching channels. Having multiple conversations and such.

Shadow Andreas
10-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Wow much sad,

I'm sorry you had a rough time with the voice chat, and I'm looking into improving it along with text chat. Improving the social aspects of the game is very important to me, so if you have a chance could you reply with how many people, generally, were trying to talk to one another?

In all I would say there were about 25-30 people in the march and we were all in the same area trying to talk. There was a little bit of cross talk....but for the most part everyone took turns speaking.

Shadow Andreas
10-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Andreas how did you Conjure up your very own NEW dev?!

LOL....I don't know....but that was funny to see. :)

Zugo
10-23-2013, 07:23 AM
We were using the Area option in voice chat and there were at least 30 people.

Without user action the people who could hear you, or you could hear would change randomly.

kendillin
10-23-2013, 07:33 AM
We were using the Area option in voice chat and there were at least 30 people.

Without user action the people who could hear you, or you could hear would change randomly.

Yeah. That explains it better than I could.
It started before 20 people tho.
Also, once it got jumbled, it stayed that way. Even after people spread back out.

Deunan
10-23-2013, 09:41 AM
I can tell you from direct experience that when it's only one other player, distance does seem to affect audibility. This is from my having area voice chat activated in general. There are players who either don't know that push to talk has to be enabled or don't care and I can hear their idle banter and it gets louder as I approach them and softer when I move away from them.

wow so dev
10-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Much happy!

Thank you for the information ladies and gentlemen, I'll poke it with my poking stick and see if I can make voice more usable :D

Shadow Andreas
10-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Much happy!

Thank you for the information ladies and gentlemen, I'll poke it with my poking stick and see if I can make voice more usable :D

Thanks wow so dev!

Zugo
10-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Much happy!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/urkel.gif

wow so dev
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jcNKB6t.gif

Lillith Valerian
10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
If this helps....

I was part of the death march, and got kicked 40 times before giving up (no...this isn't a 'lag' complaint. Although...)

Every time I would log back in and jump back to the group, it was a different handful of people I could hear and communicate with each time, and would stay the same small group until lagging back out and jumping back in. Then I could hear a different group, but not the prior group.

Of note: the groups weren't 'isolated' the same way - as an example, Shadow and I could communicate with each other, and Shadow and Player X could communicate with each other, but Player X and I couldn't, leading to the ability to hear one-sided conversations.

Shadow Andreas
10-23-2013, 12:59 PM
If this helps....

I was part of the death march, and got kicked 40 times before giving up (no...this isn't a 'lag' complaint. Although...)

Every time I would log back in and jump back to the group, it was a different handful of people I could hear and communicate with each time, and would stay the same small group until lagging back out and jumping back in. Then I could hear a different group, but not the prior group.

Of note: the groups weren't 'isolated' the same way - as an example, Shadow and I could communicate with each other, and Shadow and Player X could communicate with each other, but Player X and I couldn't, leading to the ability to hear one-sided conversations.

Good explanation Lillith...thanks for adding that :)