PDA

View Full Version : So what was the point of Beta?

Remag Div
04-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Cause apparently nothing was done.

For instance, on the PC for 120hz monitor users there's still an instant CTD when trying to access any in-game settings. Acceptable for beta, inexcusable for live. Every single bug, glitch, or oddity I encountered in beta is also in live.

I mean, I guess it gave them an indicator on server stress levels, but seriously, how does this game have three beta periods and still launch like this? I'm sure they also tested the Defiance store and buying tendencies cause they jacked up the prices pure stealth mode and thought no one would notice and figured the sheep would buy it anyway. :rolleyes:

Viibl
04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Stress test + demo

Zackhanzo
04-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Cause apparently nothing was done.

For instance, on the PC for 120hz monitor users there's still an instant CTD when trying to access any in-game settings. Acceptable for beta, inexcusable for live. Every single bug, glitch, or oddity I encountered in beta is also in live.

I mean, I guess it gave them an indicator on server stress levels, but seriously, how does this game have three beta periods and still launch like this? I'm sure they also tested the Defiance store and buying tendencies cause they jacked up the prices pure stealth mode and thought no one would notice and figured the sheep would buy it anyway. :rolleyes:

Welcome to this centaury! I dont remember a mmorpg launch which fixes several bugs from the last beta. At least TW deserves my trust to fix this bugs asap

jveilleux31
04-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Welcome to this centaury! I dont remember a mmorpg launch which fixes several bugs from the last beta. At least TW deserves my trust to fix this bugs asap

you missed the part where most of these bugs from from the FIRST beta and STILL in at launch

kirix
04-02-2013, 07:51 AM
most ppl use 60-70Hz moniters. so dont expect a next day fix.(its normally based on how much % have this issue and if its high enough it gets prio fix)

jveilleux31
04-02-2013, 07:53 AM
most ppl use 60-70Hz moniters. so dont expect a next day fix.(its normally based on how much % have this issue and if its high enough it gets prio fix)

he's just mentioning ONE bug there are a multitude of other MAJOR bugs that "sipped" through months of beta testing.

Zeiban
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
It was a martketing beta plain and simple. To think it was anything else is fooling yourself.

Mkilbride
04-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Also, the beta was not a stress test.

Open betas are stress tests / demos.

Closed betas are for finding bugs and fixing them. From what I hear, this has bugs that were reported months ago but lots of the community, and some of them are very easy bugs to fix, and yet Trion has not.

Not all MMO's launches are bad, either. Rift, another Trion game, for example, I hear launched without issue at all, and was one of the factors of it's success.

TaintedSpud
04-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Also, the beta was not a stress test.

Open betas are stress tests / demos.

Closed betas are for finding bugs and fixing them. From what I hear, this has bugs that were reported months ago but lots of the community, and some of them are very easy bugs to fix, and yet Trion has not.

Not all MMO's launches are bad, either. Rift, another Trion game, for example, I hear launched without issue at all, and was one of the factors of it's success.

Wrong.

I was there at the Rift launch. And there were issues. Tutorial was bugged at times, overloaded servers, ungodly queues for some servers, mobs bugged. Was it smooth? Compared to most MMOs, yes. was it perfect? Aw hell naw!

No MMO launches without issues. Period.

Bushmaster2000
04-02-2013, 08:42 AM
The point was Marketing, just like most other Betas.

sinnfury
04-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I don't recall rift having as many problems or more than the usual at launch(I played beta and launch) especially compared to this game. It does not feel like it was made by the same company. All that seems to have changed over the last few weeks in Defiance is the server stability and they added some more stuff around the map. Don't get me wrong I am liking the game but it does need fixing a lot more than this and I'd like the rest of my pre order items:(