PDA

View Full Version : So I think this would have been better as a single player game.

Monkerlotus
10-31-2013, 12:57 PM
This idea has been in my head since the very day of launch, Defiance would have been one of my most favorite games had it been designed and sold as a singleplayer/co-op like Dead Island and Borderlands.

Let us take a walk down hypothetical lane!

A few areas of the game would be tuned differently, Arkfalls for example;
Instead of having a bunch of minors inside a major, maybe only 3 or 4 minors then the boss arkfall. The difficulty of the enemies would of course scale as you grouped up with people in co-op if you wanted to. This always comes to mind when I'm at an arkfall and a dozen players are explosive spamming in the air turning my monitor into a rapid-fire camera flash. I love playing online when only a few people show up, sure it can be tough to beat the timer, but it's just so much more enjoyable to me.

The ability to solo the co-op instances and optionally do them with other players at scaled up difficulty with better loot would be amazing, I like the co-ops, but the opportunity to get 3 friends to join me doesn't come up often these days with most having either quit or just varying schedules and whatever else. This is an idea I am almost obsessed with at this point because of how often I'm pretty much left to solo the instances anyway with all the derps the que in. :p

Other than terrible drop rates I rather enjoy the loot system this game has, I think the key code/rep vendor stuff would still be fun to keep around. (although if Defiance had been a single player game, i believe key code fragments dropping on emergencies would have been an essential feature (they're an essential feature now, we just don't have them (Shame on you devs!)))

Some areas of the game would simply be more fun if they were single player/optional co-op, I would certainly enjoy going to San Quentin without having to share it with someone who wants to insta-smash the Hulker with the super weapons. (As I'm sure those people would enjoy not having my slow *** in the fight shooting a gun I want to level up!) Sometimes I like to snipe, to kill and smell the roses, but someone may come up with a rocket launcher and just start firing in all directions, but not in my single player game! :cool:

PvP isn't something I've thought too much about I'm afraid, I stopped PvPing early on after I got my Pursuits done with and hackers were still in great abundance. I have no idea if it's gotten better or worse and no real feasible ideas as to how it would've been integrated into a single player/co-op. (honestly I'm not thinking that hard, I'm just not a big fan of pvp as is.) Duels would be easily worked into co-op with players, games like borderlands have it so no doubt in my mind thats easy enough to handle.

Of course there would be downsides to a single player/co-op Deifance, Borderlands for example has a bad trading market for legitimate items, lots of duping and cheat engine going on, so player to player trading in Defiance would be pretty slow (who knows maybe it would be better, I'm certainly not psychic.) :o

TLDR: What could have been...

Feel free to rage at me over simple opinions, freedom of speech and such! ;)

bigguy
10-31-2013, 12:59 PM
yeah if this was a single player game i would have moved on already

Dandrielas
10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
I think it best left as a MMO instead of a single player. If it was a single player, I wouldn't play with anyone because it is easier to solo things. The way it is now however forces me to socialize.

rebtattoo
10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
I think it best left as a MMO instead of a single player. If it was a single player, I wouldn't play with anyone because it is easier to solo things. The way it is now however forces me to socialize.I agree. The 1st 2 months I played lone wolf and was starting to become bored with the tedium. Now that I'm in a pretty active clan, and have cohorts most every time I log in, its made the game much cooler to play.

My 2 cents

Bentu
10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
I've just gotten to about 2500 ego on my UK toon and played solo, its been fun but I much prefer the community aspect of the game since I've joined the Dawn Patrol with my NA toon.

Bakku
10-31-2013, 01:17 PM
If this were single player I wouldn't have given it a shot.

I enjoy MMOs. And that's about it, I haven't played a single-player game in a long time.

I also HATE when people try to turn MMOs into single player games. The Personal Stories like SW:TOR and GW2 have are great content, usually, but they do put the player on a lonely pedestal that you have to step off of once you're ready to play the "MMO part" of the game. Not everyone can be THE Commander or the THE Chosen One.

I just can't understand why anyone would prefer to play solo when they have the option of playing with others, a huge part of why I play games at all is for the social experience... Hacking away at a game for hours all on your own, isolated IRL and in-game, not having your skill or achievements mean anything to anyone but you? That's not fun to me at all, and I can guarantee you Defiance would not be as good as it is without the social element.

Steel Fire
10-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Aside from the story missions, the game doesn't translate to single player. The rest is already co-op. Sounds like what the OP is really after are instanced events rather than open world. Some of that already exist with the co-op missions. An entire game like that... no thank-you.

Arsenic_Touch
10-31-2013, 01:33 PM
What are you talking about? this is essentially a single player game that they happened to call an mmo. The problem though is it lacks the substance of both a single player game and an mmo. It's almost anti-multiplayer in some cases. If I had to compare it to something, I'd compare it to the campaign in halo or call of duty. With the way scaling works in this game, you can pretty much solo everything this game has to offer.

Dandrielas
10-31-2013, 01:33 PM

I enjoy MMOs. And that's about it, I haven't played a single-player game in a long time.

I also HATE when people try to turn MMOs into single player games. The Personal Stories like SW:TOR and GW2 have are great content, usually, but they do put the player on a lonely pedestal that you have to step off of once you're ready to play the "MMO part" of the game. Not everyone can be THE Commander or the THE Chosen One.

I just can't understand why anyone would prefer to play solo when they have the option of playing with others, a huge part of why I play games at all is for the social experience... Hacking away at a game for hours all on your own, isolated IRL and in-game, not having your skill or achievements mean anything to anyone but you? That's not fun to me at all, and I can guarantee you Defiance would not be as good as it is without the social element.

I can explain why. Socializing all the time does get exhausting for some people because not everyone is an extrovert, so having single player content like SW:TOR and GW2 is good for those type of people. You have a healthy balance of socializing and playing lone wolf.

As for having the achievements mean anything but for yourself, I see that as a good thing because in the end the only opinion that should matter is your own. Everyone else's opinion on what you accomplish shouldn't matter.

Whippersnapper
10-31-2013, 01:45 PM
A single player game would work too. The DLCs could be expansions or just DLCs :)

Again, what this game needs is an improved chat system that lets clan members chat with each other properly and such.

I mean, the main gripe I have with it is that it is an MMO in the sense that you'll see other people around, but there's no interaction. You will see people from time to time doing their own thing or in the same area helping with a quest or doing an arkfall, but there's no social interaction. Just cleared the docks and killed the Overseer together? Got through a clusterf**k of tough mobs with good teamwork? Silence. Nothing will be said by anyone. They come, help out (or not), and they're gone. Just like that.

Fix the goddamned chat already!!

TwwiX
10-31-2013, 01:57 PM
It might as well be. The MMO aspects of this game are ****ing laughable.

Bentu
10-31-2013, 02:03 PM
A single player game would work too. The DLCs could be expansions or just DLCs :)

Again, what this game needs is an improved chat system that lets clan members chat with each other properly and such.

I mean, the main gripe I have with it is that it is an MMO in the sense that you'll see other people around, but there's no interaction. You will see people from time to time doing their own thing or in the same area helping with a quest or doing an arkfall, but there's no social interaction. Just cleared the docks and killed the Overseer together? Got through a clusterf**k of tough mobs with good teamwork? Silence. Nothing will be said by anyone. They come, help out (or not), and they're gone. Just like that.

Fix the goddamned chat already!!

You can play this game solo but you have to do the pvp to level to 5000 ego.

Chevota
10-31-2013, 02:16 PM
The thing that separates Defi, is that you have the random encounters in which any player can join in the server-world...

Take that away, and youre just playing Borderlands.

rebtattoo
10-31-2013, 02:25 PM

Fix the goddamned chat already!!I chat with my clan mates all night. My only gripe is that the text screen[for my non mic clan mates] doesn't stay on the screen long enough to read it. Speaking of which, is there a setting I can change that will change the duration of it on the screen, or is it set as is? Noob question, I know, just curious. PS3 by the by.

sly wolf
11-01-2013, 12:23 AM
I have said for ages now that this should be like the old vegas 2 game where you made your guy and you earned xp both on and offline,Even billzard have learned their lession about always online games i of course mean diablo 3 and the error 37.Their console game is now both on and offline so at least when the company does have problems the player can still play the game they spent their hard earned money on and earn xp and have fun.

N3gativeCr33p
11-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Speaking of which, is there a setting I can change that will change the duration of it on the screen, or is it set as is?

I'm pretty sure there's a setting that can be changed to make them stay on screen a bit longer.

Umfafa
11-01-2013, 06:05 AM
You can play this game solo but you have to do the pvp to level to 5000 ego.

Nope. I got to 5K ego without any PVP. All weapons to max, vehicles to max...everything else checked and double checked. Umfafa is 5K ego with about 100 echelon rep.

TASHINKA
11-01-2013, 03:56 PM

I just can't understand why anyone would prefer to play solo when they have the option of playing with others, a huge part of why I play games at all is for the social experience... Hacking away at a game for hours all on your own, isolated IRL and in-game, not having your skill or achievements mean anything to anyone but you? That's not fun to me at all, and I can guarantee you Defiance would not be as good as it is without the social element.Before Defiance I only played single player games and enjoyed it. The only reason I bought Defiance was because I enjoyed the TV show so much, but had never played multiplayer games. I do enjoy playing & the social aspect but I am also perfectly happy playing games without other people involved (I guess you could say I'm antisocial) - just my opinion:)

Dandrielas
11-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Before Defiance I only played single player games and enjoyed it. The only reason I bought Defiance was because I enjoyed the TV show so much, but had never played multiplayer games. I do enjoy playing & the social aspect but I am also perfectly happy playing games without other people involved (I guess you could say I'm antisocial) - just my opinion:)

Most gamers are antisocial.