PDA

View Full Version : Why in the HELL are Time Trials not instanced?

Darrow
11-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Incoming rage post because I'm incredibly frustrated:

I'm sick of pulling Volge, trying to dodge arkfalls, and all this other ****. I've only just come back since playing beta (and only then because it was gifted to me). It was so bad in beta that I thought I'd give you time to fix the issues plaguing the PC version of this game - so far the only ones I've seen fixed are some of the mission ones - and really the mission bugs I remember are fixed, but new ones are here! Anyway - all this time since beta, and something as obvious as instancing time trials is not yet done? WOW. Don't really see myself sticking around for long if this keeps up. Have they improved upon anything since beta? There are so many better games out there that actually care about the PC platform :/

crasher
11-08-2013, 12:29 AM
The frustration factor is engineered in as part of the challenge.

** Do you think its a coincidence that every time you approach a tree or rock you stand better than ~50% chance of hitting a pebble that throws you off course into that tree or rock?

** Every time you take a path over a hill, or between two peaks you hit *THE* tree on the other side? Or *THE* building on the other side?

** Dips in the road that launch you over the side of an embankment?

** You hit the *only* signpost within 40 feet to either side, no matter how you try to avoid it?

** The broken pavement in the path that's strategically placed and stops your ATV, no matter how you try to maneuver passed it, there's that one pebble or dip that puts you back onto a course to hit it dead center?

** You're making good time in your Duni on the way to an AFall, and that underpowered Duni is suddenly capable of doing multiple donuts, almost in spite of how you try to control it?

** You can generally climb hills, but that last one you need to go over to get away from the Volge is suddenly a vertical climb as far as your vehicle is concerned.... even though you're looking at it and it seems reasonable?

** As you pass a Monarch or Volge, the hitbox on them is suddenly overlapping ANY path you steer around them?

** As you try to deftly maneuver between the stalled obstacle and the guardrail to get passed the Volge roadside emergency, you always nail the end of the guardrail dead center?

** How many times do you have to tag that fencepost on either side of the path into the field where the AFall is?

** You're coming down a hill or mountain. There's ONE rock in the a specific area. Or ONE of those mutant vine canes. How many times have you hit it, or landed in it, no matter what direction you were steering or facing before?

Bonus:
How many times have you run OUT of the enclosure at Overpass, or OFF the bridge at the lighthouse, to an OPEN/CLEAR/EMPTY area, spawned your vehicle, and had it appear behind you facing an entirely random direction, or between two obstacles, or ON the railing or fence?

You thought these were just happenstance coincidences?

heheheheh.
Yeah.....

PTR47
11-08-2013, 01:24 AM
I believe you missed the invisible Volge. That wonderful experience of driving down a clear road, and all of a sudden, your vehicle explodes -- and then things spawn all around you and you die shortly after.

Desthayl
11-08-2013, 05:04 AM

** Do you think its a coincidence that every time you approach a tree or rock you stand better than ~50% chance of hitting a pebble that throws you off course into that tree or rock?

** Every time you take a path over a hill, or between two peaks you hit *THE* tree on the other side? Or *THE* building on the other side?

** You hit the *only* signpost within 40 feet to either side, no matter how you try to avoid it?

** The broken pavement in the path that's strategically placed and stops your ATV, no matter how you try to maneuver passed it, there's that one pebble or dip that puts you back onto a course to hit it dead center?

** You're making good time in your Duni on the way to an AFall, and that underpowered Duni is suddenly capable of doing multiple donuts, almost in spite of how you try to control it?

** You can generally climb hills, but that last one you need to go over to get away from the Volge is suddenly a vertical climb as far as your vehicle is concerned.... even though you're looking at it and it seems reasonable?

** As you pass a Monarch or Volge, the hitbox on them is suddenly overlapping ANY path you steer around them?

** As you try to deftly maneuver between the stalled obstacle and the guardrail to get passed the Volge roadside emergency, you always nail the end of the guardrail dead center?

** How many times do you have to tag that fencepost on either side of the path into the field where the AFall is?

** You're coming down a hill or mountain. There's ONE rock in the a specific area. Or ONE of those mutant vine canes. How many times have you hit it, or landed in it, no matter what direction you were steering or facing before?

Bonus:
How many times have you run OUT of the enclosure at Overpass, or OFF the bridge at the lighthouse, to an OPEN/CLEAR/EMPTY area, spawned your vehicle, and had it appear behind you facing an entirely random direction, or between two obstacles, or ON the railing or fence?

heheheheh.
Yeah.....

And the truth shall set you free!

hardy83
11-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Other than the absolute horrid mechanics of driving that is the main, and pretty much only think you're fighting during these races, I think it's fine.

Not being instanced - Fine
Stopping instantly because you hit a corner of a tree - Not fine.
Flying all over the place due to terrain when some of the races want accuracy - Not fine.

I compare the racing in this game to the jumping puzzles in GW2. The mechanics just don't work in that regard.

Bonehead
11-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Incoming rage post because I'm incredibly frustrated:

I'm sick of pulling Volge, trying to dodge arkfalls, and all this other ****. I've only just come back since playing beta (and only then because it was gifted to me). It was so bad in beta that I thought I'd give you time to fix the issues plaguing the PC version of this game - so far the only ones I've seen fixed are some of the mission ones - and really the mission bugs I remember are fixed, but new ones are here! Anyway - all this time since beta, and something as obvious as instancing time trials is not yet done? WOW. Don't really see myself sticking around for long if this keeps up. Have they improved upon anything since beta? There are so many better games out there that actually care about the PC platform :/

Wait...
I thought this was beta.

Bonehead
11-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Bonus:

heheheheh.
Yeah.....

Bonus question answer, 7,349

Steel Fire
11-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I got all my golds readily enough... once I figured out boost existed. :D I have no issue with the time trials not being instances, that's part of the fun and challenge. Many of them would be way too easy if there wasn't a group of vehicles or raiders in the track path.

Crasher: Your bonus, forget just spawning behind you, at Overpass mine have a tendency to spawn on top of the Titan. :P

Deunan
11-08-2013, 01:58 PM
The most frustrating time trial I've done to date is Mine Alley. I try to clear the roadside emergencies first but that time trial is teeming with potential problem areas.

Every time I cleared out the roadside emergency near the start point another would spawn in its place (either the Volge or Ninety-Niners) so I just gave up trying to clear it and sure enough anytime I was making good time, towards the end of one of the laps they were spilling out into my pathway killing my time by making me swerve to avoid them and in the Volge's case often blowing up my lil runner with their guns.

On top of that there's a spot where a monarch/matriarch hellbug can spawn in your path at one point and another encounter area by a house bordering the race path. Finally when I manage to avoid all that and was making good time on my final lap...Arkfall! That's right, there's an Arkfall spawn point right on the race path and it spawned just as I was entering the area and my runner exploded as it hit one of the Ark barriers.

It doesn't help that you can drive well with the rings supposed hit box and it doesn't acknowledge you've hit it sometimes and you have to circle around and go through again. It took me several hours to get my Gold. Bleh.

Mess7739
11-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Bonus:

heheheheh.
Yeah.....

Holy **** for reals?!?!

I have a cell tower behind my house and always attributed that to the control lag or why my character has a 1800 degree spin-siezure. I assumed it just ****ed with my wireless internet, but if its happening to everyone then wow!

That sucks so much, I always hated heading to Parraba Farm from Iron Demon Ranch, there is this windy part that descends and I always snag that ****en guardrail. I swear I give the thing a huge berth and still I end up catapulted to it for whatever damn reason.

Steel Fire
11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Holy **** for reals?!?!

I have a cell tower behind my house and always attributed that to the control lag or why my character has a 1800 degree spin-siezure. I assumed it just ****ed with my wireless internet, but if its happening to everyone then wow!

That sucks so much, I always hated heading to Parraba Farm from Iron Demon Ranch, there is this windy part that descends and I always snag that ****en guardrail. I swear I give the thing a huge berth and still I end up catapulted to it for whatever damn reason.

No, the game is not purposely designed to do all those horrible things. Sometimes there is a bad terrain detail, but it's not overly prevalent. Your issue is probably largely due to lag. That windy section of road, chalk that kinda up to poor drifting mechanics on the rollers. Runners are easy to slalom through there. With rollers you have to know your drift lines pretty well. I learned that lesson the hard way on the Dodge trial.

crasher
11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
No, the game is not purposely designed to do all those horrible things. Sometimes there is a bad terrain detail, but it's not overly prevalent. Your issue is probably largely due to lag. That windy section of road, chalk that kinda up to poor drifting mechanics on the rollers. Runners are easy to slalom through there. With rollers you have to know your drift lines pretty well. I learned that lesson the hard way on the Dodge trial.
Why do you think that vehicles become easier to control as you level them up?

Steel Fire
11-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Why do you think that vehicles become easier to control as you level them up?
It's not like they're difficult to control in the first place. I did the vast majority of my runner levelling by doing time trials.

Bonehead
11-08-2013, 08:54 PM
It's not like they're difficult to control in the first place. I did the vast majority of my runner levelling by doing time trials.

Some are just better at it as well.
Sadly I am not one of those.

Big Jack Shepard
11-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I always hated heading to Parraba Farm from Iron Demon Ranch, there is this windy part that descends and I always snag that ****en guardrail. I swear I give the thing a huge berth and still I end up catapulted to it for whatever damn reason.Go to the left dirt road instead of the right paved road, much smoother.

Mess7739
11-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Go to the left dirt road instead of the right paved road, much smoother.

Sweet tip, thx :)