PDA

View Full Version : New Player: State of the Game & DLC?

Sylv
11-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Hello everybody!

My life-story:
Big Tabula Rasa fan, devastated when it stopped. Saw Defiance coming, got super psyched, but decided to wait until post-launch kinks got ironed out to start playing.
Now that it's only $10 on Steam, things seem too good to be true & I plan to jump in tonight.

After doing some research, I wanted to ask a few questions.
1) State of the Game in 2 sentences or less (or more!):
Is player base dying? Have the bugs been fixed to the level of playability?
After my Tabula Rasa experience, I'm always a little wary of falling in love with a sinking ship.

2) Situation for New Players:
What's the curve like? Am I hopelessly behind & shall never catch up?

3) DLC:
A must-get-now buy? A can-decide-later buy? A purely-optional buy?

Thank you!

Katkon
11-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Hello everybody!

My life-story:
Big Tabula Rasa fan, devastated when it stopped. Saw Defiance coming, got super psyched, but decided to wait until post-launch kinks got ironed out to start playing.
Now that it's only $10 on Steam, things seem too good to be true & I play to jump in tonight.

After my Tabula Rasa experience, I'm always a little wary of falling in love with a sinking ship.

3) DLC:

Thank you!

1 guy's take - a new player myself:

1. The PC NA server always feels very much alive to me -lot's of guys and gals running around. Doesn't feel like a dead game to me; feels very much alive. Was in an arkfall this AM with at least 50 other players running around.

2. Very easy to get into. Due to the game's horizontal progression system you're not materially disadvantaged as a new player. I absolutely love this leveling system vs. the standard vertical leveling you find in other games.

3. Game is definitely worth. I haven't bought the DLC as primary benefits seemed to be new customizable race, new weapons and vehicles that weren't of much interest. You do get access to arenas, however and a small handful of extra missions.

Get the game!

Worldviewsinc
11-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Hello everybody!

My life-story:
Now that it's only $10 on Steam, things seem too good to be true & I play to jump in tonight.

3) DLC:

Thank you!

Post launch kinks are still not 'ironed out'

1 - Player base seems to be slowly but surely dying off but it does go through spurts from time to time, especially when events happen in-game. The bugs are still not fixed since launch (We seem to have a team of developers who cannot fix anything without breaking several others in the process).

2 - You will have no problems as there is very little challenge once you get to grips...We definitely need more challenging stuff to do, but at the moment things are very easy.

3 - DLC...First one was okay, if a little thin on content. Definitely wait and see before you decide to buy.

All that being said...It is very, very fun to play, especially with friends and despite all the problems with bugs and broken elements.

Hope this helps!!! (See the red portion of my sig)

MaxSterling
11-09-2013, 12:30 PM
1.) The game is kind of hovering in limbo. They make some improvements, then mess up other things.
They do things to "improve gameplay for newer players", then give the finger to those who have worked to get what they have earned.
The RNG rains legendaries on some players, while many others wonder why they still play.
Many players still suffer from numerous disconnections per day, while others have little to no issues at all.
In the end, your experience is a crap shoot. Your chances of having a good experience are about the same as the RNG within the game.

2.) There really is no issue for newer players, many players have started numerous new characters. The differences in weapon power are minimal, it's the perks and bonuses that really make the difference. Just don't play PvP... not that you'd really get much of a chance anyways.

3.) DLC is better to "wait and see". DLC1 had majority of the better items given for free. The paid quest is 3-4 stops and an arena. The vehicle was a shadow of what was promised. Again, it's up to you to decide whether the value is worth it to you or not.

Sanguinesun
11-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Hello everybody!

My life-story:

3) DLC:

Thank you!

Your wary experiences with TR shall be equally felt here, if not more so.

You dont even have to buy the game, just sample the trial. At the start you'll feel its great amd probably buy it, only to then have it hit you after a while that that's all there is.

Steam's stats on Defiance should help give you a sampling of the population decline:

http://steamcharts.com/app/224600

It went from 12k peak players at launch to half that 3 months after launch and now can barely get in the 900 range peak. This is just steam mind you but it certainly gives you an idea.

Its a rather basic third person shooter and not a robust mmo by any stretch of the imagination. Map world is small (bay area), etc etc. Then add the horrid RNG, the character looks that none can see due to poor optimization(more than a few in a location causes everyone to default to a generic skin), the various disconnect issues (milage varies), and vapid disingenuous responses to improvement of the game by the community leads(if they can be bothered... they pretty much only tolerate handling this game compared to Trion's rift as is more than evident on the weekly streams and with the recent Extra Life event). All that wont be evident to you at once but by the time you realize the full extent of the mess, it will become extremely frustrating.

DLC: 90% of the content of the curent(and coming) is in the free portion. The paid for parts for dlc 1 arent worth it.(Just look up the turtle driving of the raptor and the turret-gate controversy). DLC2 is primed to be the same(supposedly to come out in Dec but the last DLC they delayed from April all the way to finally releasing it in August.) In other words, pass on it unless you just really want to burn money.

All in all, if you're looking for a game to plop down significant time and roots in, I'd say you'll most likely be disappointed in the long run.

Misfit501
11-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Well said Max!

Worldviewsinc
11-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Your wary experiences with TR shall be equally felt here, if not more so.

You dont even have to buy the game, just sample the trial. At the start you'll feel its great amd probably buy it, only to then have it hit you after a while that that's all there is.

Steam's stats on Defiance should help give you a sampling of the population decline:

http://steamcharts.com/app/224600

It went from 12k peak players at launch to half that 3 months after launch and now can barely get in the 900 range peak. This is just steam mind you but it certainly gives you an idea.

Its a rather basic third person shooter and not a robust mmo by any stretch of the imagination. Map world is small (bay area), etc etc. Then add the horrid RNG, the character looks that none can see due to poor optimization(more than a few in a location causes everyone to default to a generic skin), the various disconnect issues (milage varies), and vapid disingenuous responses to improvement of the game by the community leads(if they can be bothered... they pretty much only tolerate handling this game compared to Trion's rift as is more than evident on the weekly streams and with the recent Extra Life event). All that wont be evident to you at once but by the time you realize the full extent of the mess, it will become extremely frustrating.

DLC: 90% of the content of the curent(and coming) is in the free portion. The paid for parts for dlc 1 arent worth it.(Just look up the turtle driving of the raptor and the turret-gate controversy). DLC2 is primed to be the same(supposedly to come out in Dec but the last DLC they delayed from April all the way to finally releasing it in August.) In other words, pass on it unless you just really want to burn money.

All in all, if you're looking for a game to plop down significant time and roots in, I'd say you'll most likely be disappointed in the long run.

Very informative as always, my friend...Don't see you around here much these days.

Sanguinesun
11-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Very informative as always, my friend...Don't see you around here much these days.

I pop in here n there. Our silly director of community has done a fantastic job of ensuring there's not much point to bother more often than not :P

Worldviewsinc
11-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I pop in here n there. Our silly director of community has done a fantastic job of ensuring there's not much point to bother more often than not :P

I hear that buddy...Love the sig btw. Kinda sums things up here at the moment!!!

DC Zero
11-09-2013, 02:01 PM
I just recently returned to the game to check things out and I was surprised at how much I've enjoyed playing again. Most of the major issues that were present at launch seem to be ironed out. The game plays very smoothly for me and I no longer dc every 30 minutes like I used to. The pc-na version seems to be pretty populated. Major arkfalls and seiges are still full of players. Shadow war queues pop almost instantly. Its hard to get a competitive match though.

It might not be the most amazing mmo experience you've ever had but you will definitely get your 10 dollars out it.

Sylv
11-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Thank you for all the responses, very informative stuff. (Especially that Steam chart, I didn't know about that feature. That's gotta be fun to play around with.)

I was not aware of the 3-day trial, so I hopped on that tonight. Had a ton of fun, got to EGO 160ish I believe. The night alone would have been worth $10. I am thoroughly enjoying myself!

Thank you again for the outpouring of response. Your perspectives were very useful.

Winterfresh
11-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Wow, another Tabula Rasa refugee! I was sure I was the only one. I played Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault, City of Heroes, and most of their other titles before they were all shuttered. (I was pleasantly surprised to find Defiance like a combination of the former two.) So naturally, Defiance will shut down too eventually since that's what happens to all the MMOs I like. I'm new to the game myself, and while I have a blast when I play the game for an hour or two each session, Defiance is plagued by many of the same issues that haunted TR.

A little off-topic but if you have Netflix, Richard Garriott's documentary about his trip to space is actually on there. It's pretty interesting if you're a fan of any of his games. Check it out.

KouDy
11-11-2013, 11:22 PM
I am on the same ship. Tabula Rasa was good. I tried trial (didn't even know it was 3 days matter) and after one evening i just bought it. Not like 10e is that significant amount of money.
So far it seems there is some stuff to do. Yes mostly grindy but that's pretty much the same for every single MMO out there. I would definitely say this game is worth trying for the price. Especially if you like Borderlands then this is pretty much no brainer.

DarkCypher
11-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Aye, same. Played Tabula Rasa from launch to death. Loved every single minute of it, even the half-assed 'Take Back Earth' thing they implemented just before the game had its plug pulled.

Really hoping Defiance doesn't have the same thing happen to it, too, considering I just picked up the Digital Deluxe edition on Steam for $10 not even two hours ago.

Loved the trial, as isolated as it was. (Rather antisocial when it comes to talking to players I don't know, provided they don't try to break the ice, so to speak.)

Hoping I won't regret spending the $10 that I did.

Sylv
11-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Aye, same. Played Tabula Rasa from launch to death. Loved every single minute of it, even the half-assed 'Take Back Earth' thing they implemented just before the game had its plug pulled.

Really hoping Defiance doesn't have the same thing happen to it, too, considering I just picked up the Digital Deluxe edition on Steam for $10 not even two hours ago.

Loved the trial, as isolated as it was. (Rather antisocial when it comes to talking to players I don't know, provided they don't try to break the ice, so to speak.)

Hoping I won't regret spending the $10 that I did.

I bought the game solely because I felt the fun I had in the trial was worth $10. Having a great time, with the exception of the isolation you've mentioned. I made a thread asking for tips:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?140170-Tips-for-a-new-player-who-finds-this-game-terribly-isolating&p=1321168

Conclusion seems to be, chat is awful. Only way to make friends is through a clan.

theblackfrog
11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
dunno why ppl write so many things, the game sucks. very simple. its far beyond being an mmo, the "crafting" sucks, the weaons sucks (its not like borderlands) and you dont have many things to do....you waiting for some cool sh.it but it will never happen....

buy something else for the 5 bucks on steam...

DarkCypher
11-15-2013, 10:30 PM
dunno why ppl write so many things, the game sucks. very simple. its far beyond being an mmo, the "crafting" sucks, the weaons sucks (its not like borderlands) and you dont have many things to do....you waiting for some cool sh.it but it will never happen....

buy something else for the 5 bucks on steam...

So, just because Defiance's weapons aren't carbon copies of the guns from Borderlands, it sucks?

Just because you can't go so far as, for example, painting your gun, it sucks?

Just because the entire map isn't literally filled corner to corner with hour-long side quests, it sucks?

If you hate Defiance so much as to call it 'Not worth the $5 you spent on it', then why do you bother sticking around?

And no, I'm not trying to tell you to get lost. It's an honest question.

Wouldn't your time be better spent elsewhere, actually... you know, having fun? Like we do with Defiance?

Because in all honesty, I fail to see how spouting your opinion like it's tried and true fact in an attempt to deter us from this game is anything -but- a waste of both our time, and yours.

Not trying to be rude or anything, I just prefer to be blunt and to-the-point when it comes to stuff like this.

I mean, we think the game is good, and we don't want to see it fail. This is our opinion, and we are entitled to it.

You think Defiance is utter crap, based on what you've told us, and that's your opinion, which you are entitled to.

But I see no point in trying to "convert" people to your way of thinking by acting as if your opinion is fact, and I would say the same for anyone of the "Defiance is good" party that attempted to do just as you are now.

Facts are to Opinions as Oil is to Water.