PDA

View Full Version : Chat system?

Red Mephisto
11-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Is there a trick to getting it to work?

I know u can pull up the chat thing, and see it all....but any way to see msgs when they are typed?

Rift has an awesome chat system right? can we just get a ported chat system from them?

crasher
11-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Is there a trick to getting it to work?

I know u can pull up the chat thing, and see it all....but any way to see msgs when they are typed?

Rift has an awesome chat system right? can we just get a ported chat system from them?
Chat window/Options/'Chat fade duration'
Set that to max.... it 'helps', it aint perfect.

DEFI and RIFT are different games with different engines. DEFI uses HAVOK, and RIFT uses a proprietary engine. Therefore they have different coding.

Deunan
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Is the game engine substantively relevant to the ability to implement a decent chat system? It certainly isn't an impediment to robust chat and social interation through a client viewer as Second Life uses Havok as well. Granted there's a greater focus on using that platform for social interaction rather than conventional gaming, but to me it shows that the engine can't be an excuse for Defiance's dysfunctional chat system.

crasher
11-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Is the game engine substantively relevant to the ability to implement a decent chat system? It certainly isn't an impediment to robust chat and social interation through a client viewer as Second Life uses Havok as well. Granted there's a greater focus on using that platform for social interaction rather than conventional gaming, but to me it shows that the engine can't be an excuse for Defiance's dysfunctional chat system.
I was mostly pointing out why they can't just port RIFT's chat into DEFI.

I'm not well acquainted with chat modules in game engines, their availability, and how easy they may be to plug in.

It'd be interesting to me to find that out.

Atticus Batman
11-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Still haven't done the Second Life thing, my computer sucks. I used to be in Cybertown back in 2000-2005 or so, though.

Deunan
11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Still haven't done the Second Life thing, my computer sucks. I used to be in Cybertown back in 2000-2005 or so, though.I thought I knew what lag was from playing MMORPGs like Anarchy Online. Then I got an account on Second Life to hang out with one of the DJ's from Gridstream Productions who freelanced there and found out what true lag was. :p