PDA

View Full Version : Please Do Something About Sieges And Server Disconnects.

Tigercml
11-17-2013, 12:13 AM
PS3 player here. I'm tired of waiting around for sieges to start only to be disconnected from the server. And when I log back on I'm put on a server with no sieges. I stopped playing the game months ago. Once sieges and the first DLC came out I started playing again. I was really looking forward to sieges. But I kept getting disconnected almost every time I went to one. Because of that I stopped playing again. This week I decided to give it another shot in hopes that the kinks might be ironed out by now but of course I still have the same problem.

Is it the fact that you have too many sieges going on at once and they're bogging down the servers? Maybe you should only have one or two sieges at a time but make them appear more frequently. Waiting around for an hour to play a siege only to get booted is ridiculous. I doubt it's my internet because I have 50Mbps connection. Something really needs to be done about this. I already feel like giving up on the game again and just wait for DLC2 to come out before I play again.

Tigercml
11-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Am I the only PS3 player who is having so many disconnects?

Gale Klarnm
11-18-2013, 01:07 PM
I can usually get through seiges, it's all the random disconnects and crazy loading times that get me.

hey u
11-18-2013, 01:41 PM
You are not the only player http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?75-PS3-Bugs-and-Issues

There are some things to try and may help you on your end.

Bane_Of_Legends
11-18-2013, 01:42 PM

No, you are not the only one that experiences these issues. I'm on the PS3 as well and I can vouch for what you say, and there are hundreds more that can as well. Both consoles and the PC versions all have a memory leak, though I believe it's worse on the PS3, as I see more complaints by PS3 users than by anyone else.

Shogo_Yahagi
11-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Not by a long shot. I usually attempt to play about once a week, and I usually quit in disgust after the second time I get disconnected after less than an hour of play.

Unfortunately, screwing up the grenade system is of much higher importance to Trion than fixing their PS3 stability problem, although I'm sure they'll find some new higher priority after that.

Tigercml
11-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I wonder if it has to do with too many sieges going on at once. I occasionally get server disconnects here and there. But when sieges are going on I get disconnected almost every time. Has Trion tested this? Is there any plan to reduce the number of sieges appearing at one time? It would be nice to get some type of comment from the dev team.

Sanguinesun
11-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I wonder if it has to do with too many sieges going on at once. I occasionally get server disconnects here and there. But when sieges are going on I get disconnected almost every time. Has Trion tested this? Is there any plan to reduce the number of sieges appearing at one time? It would be nice to get some type of comment from the dev team.

Its not sieges. Its a plethora of issues that have plagued the game well before they implemented sieges that they simply do not have a competent solution to.

Tigercml
11-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Its not sieges. Its a plethora of issues that have plagued the game well before they implemented sieges that they simply do not have a competent solution to.

Trust me, I've had my fair share of disconnects during arkfalls and shadow wars since launch. But with sieges it happens nearly every time. So much so that I hardly get to play them. So I just assumed that sieges must be causing even more server instability than normal.

dlwebb5
11-18-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm on PS3 and I have issues. Just last night the game completely froze with 3 seconds left in the Siege. So I didn't get my reward. Wish I could say this was the first time. I hate holding down the power button on my PS3 to shut it off too. I know it's damaging my system.

Sanguinesun
11-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Trust me, I've had my fair share of disconnects during arkfalls and shadow wars since launch. But with sieges it happens nearly every time. So much so that I hardly get to play them. So I just assumed that sieges must be causing even more server instability than normal.

The fundamental issues are the same as its just the engine's set up just isnt meant to handle what they implemented with this game and their jury rigged attempts at solutions keep unraveling.

Tigercml
11-18-2013, 05:13 PM
The fundamental issues are the same as its just the engine's set up just isnt meant to handle what they implemented with this game and their jury rigged attempts at solutions keep unraveling.

It's a shame. I even thought that maybe next gen ports would help the game given the advanced hardware. But if PC players are also having these issues then I doubt next gen ports would even help console players. This game was such a great concept but lack of proper support killed any chances of it being a great MMO.

maverick07
11-18-2013, 06:23 PM

What Sieges are you going to? Volge at Kinship and Afflicted at Bolinas tend to get me kicked the most and Afflicted in general will get me booted if I've been on for a while and notice my menus lagging.

I've dealt with the time outs like everyone else but eventually I started picking up on when I was going to time out and I just reboot the game before it happens. That will fix the memory leak for an hour or two before I have to reboot again lol. Even still I will get the random time outs. But avoiding the laggy parts of the map helps and if you feel things starting to slow up a time out is likely coming.

Laggy areas on the map for me are around Kinship, Iron Demon, Crater, Bolinas, and some other parts of Marin. If you frequent these areas a lot you might also be getting a lot of issues too.

It's not perfect but it could help the time outs for you. But regardless rebooting every 1 to 2 hours is a pain. And it got worse when DLC1 hit. I'm worried what DLC2 might do to the problem.

Thomas1975
11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
PS3 player here. I'm tired of waiting around for sieges to start only to be disconnected from the server. And when I log back on I'm put on a server with no sieges. I stopped playing the game months ago. Once sieges and the first DLC came out I started playing again. I was really looking forward to sieges. But I kept getting disconnected almost every time I went to one. Because of that I stopped playing again. This week I decided to give it another shot in hopes that the kinks might be ironed out by now but of course I still have the same problem.

Is it the fact that you have too many sieges going on at once and they're bogging down the servers? Maybe you should only have one or two sieges at a time but make them appear more frequently. Waiting around for an hour to play a siege only to get booted is ridiculous. I doubt it's my internet because I have 50Mbps connection. Something really needs to be done about this. I already feel like giving up on the game again and just wait for DLC2 to come out before I play again.

Good luck, this has been an issue from day 1 of Defiance. Seems like XBOX is not as bad now, but PS3 is still bad. According to Trion there is a guy assigned to fixing it.

Tigercml
11-18-2013, 08:29 PM
What Sieges are you going to? Volge at Kinship and Afflicted at Bolinas tend to get me kicked the most and Afflicted in general will get me booted if I've been on for a while and notice my menus lagging.

I've dealt with the time outs like everyone else but eventually I started picking up on when I was going to time out and I just reboot the game before it happens. That will fix the memory leak for an hour or two before I have to reboot again lol. Even still I will get the random time outs. But avoiding the laggy parts of the map helps and if you feel things starting to slow up a time out is likely coming.

Laggy areas on the map for me are around Kinship, Iron Demon, Crater, Bolinas, and some other parts of Marin. If you frequent these areas a lot you might also be getting a lot of issues too.

It's not perfect but it could help the time outs for you. But regardless rebooting every 1 to 2 hours is a pain. And it got worse when DLC1 hit. I'm worried what DLC2 might do to the problem.

Yes those are also the areas where I get the most problems. Bolinas crashes almost every time I enter it. The Quarry gives me trouble too. Kinship once lagged so bad all the buildings, enemies and players disappeared completely then it crashed. Those are the ones I have the most problems with, especially Bolinas. San Francisco sieges are the ones that give me little to no problems. I have only ever got disconnected once while in San Fran.

It sucks because I've been trying to get the pursuit done but I can hardly ever finish the damn sieges let alone ever get the chance to complete a stage 10 volge siege.

Maixx
11-18-2013, 10:27 PM
According to Trion there is a guy assigned to fixing it.
I was going to write some smart *** comment about Trion and this, but it's gone way beyond that now to the point of utter failure on their part.

vizibledog
11-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Ahh the good old Trion Disco. I've been disco'd from every major arkfall I've been at today :mad: although I don't get disco'd from sieges very often it's usually on my way to one. I'm starting to think its related to fast travelling. The more times I fast travel the more likely it is ill get kicked. You can see the lag get worse each time.

Bentu
11-19-2013, 04:05 AM
On the xbox we still get our fair share of critical errors, but I find it happens less frequently if you go to dashboard and then reload the the game rather than hitting play from the disconnect page.

Shogo_Yahagi
11-19-2013, 08:39 AM
On the xbox we still get our fair share of critical errors, but I find it happens less frequently if you go to dashboard and then reload the the game rather than hitting play from the disconnect page.

Recently, I've been doing the same basic thing on PS3. Whenever I get a critical error, I quit the game and restart it instead of trying to reconnect. It seems slightly better this way. I can still only get in about an hour between disconnects at best, but I find that it doesn't reboot my PS3 when I quit now that I've stopped trying to reconnect. It used to reboot my PS3 every time I quit at the end of a playing session, but it hasn't done that since I started quitting the game after each critical error.

royal
11-19-2013, 09:35 AM
You just know what is going to happen next when you pull up the map and see: Siege, Shadow War and major arkfall all at once.

Heh.

BTW: Switched over from PS3 to PC; $6 for game, $15 for console-style controller = 1 critical error so far and I think I'm up to EGO 400 or so. Much better than PS3; game's kinda fun when you're not always crapping out.
But, I know enough to not waste any money on the DLC.

Tigercml
11-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Dahanese, is there a reason why you refuse to acknowledge these concerns. You have no problem passing along worthless suggestions to the dev team but won't saying anything about game breaking problems. Are they completely incapable of fixing the problem and that's why they won't address it?

SHADOWBROKER
11-19-2013, 09:53 PM
This will never get fixed! Why? Trion knows. They dont have good enough people working at trion to fix this or chat. Its a fact! This game was doomed sence launch. I know cause i was there. But i cut my losses as soon as the PS4 came out. But now i have something to shot at when i go to the gun range this friday. Lol it will be the only time this game was a good shooter. Thank god the PS4 and xbone are here. Death to trion!

dahanese
11-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey -

Thanks to the OP for pinging me about this. We're constantly working on improvements and server stability in general, but I wanted you to know that this has been passed on to the team for them to look at. If there's any way you can send video or any other information to show us how to replicate, that would be awesome so we can try and further pinpoint any problem! Feel free to PM it to me.

Storm58
11-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Hey -

Thanks to the OP for pinging me about this. We're constantly working on improvements and server stability in general, but I wanted you to know that this has been passed on to the team for them to look at. If there's any way you can send video or any other information to show us how to replicate, that would be awesome so we can try and further pinpoint any problem! Feel free to PM it to me.

I get the disconnects all the time at any Major Arkfall about 30% of the time (with the DM Major being horribly bad) and Volge Sieges only if the player count is roughly 30+ and then about 50% of the time. Afflicted sieges I've yet to get disconnected from and minor arkfalls, no problems there either. Free-roam around the map I might get disconnected once every month or so... not bad.

So, with that in mind, my setup is Xbox 360. I play with my girlfriend who sits on the couch next to me (also on Xbox 360), two TVs on the wall. :)

So since I can see everything on her screen too, I've noticed some weird things:
1) We have never both been kicked. In fact, one person will start to lag out and the other person is still getting updates perfectly.

2) It takes about 5 - 10 minutes of "lag world" (being able to do anything you want while nothing actually happens) before the lovely "Servers Suck" screen.

3) When one of us goes into said "lag world," the other person can still see them moving perfectly. This requires an example:
If she goes into lag world at a Major, everything freezes (enemies, grenades, etc.) for her except she can still see players moving. If I move on my screen, she sees it with NO LAG on her screen. Almost like lag hits everything for her except players. If she moves, I can see her move with NO LAG on my screen, yet she can't shoot or interact with anything. It's bizarre. Player movements seem to have no lag (for the most part) but nothing else works.

4) If one of us survives the "lag world," sometimes the events that happened while we were there cue up and play, in real time, after the action has settled:
One such case was at a Volge Siege at North Point Mine (or whatever it's called). I lagged and just tried to leave the area in hopes that I'd get out of the "traffic" area. 10 minutes went by. My girlfriend finished the Siege and then came over to where I was waiting it out. A minute or two after she got to me, I could see Volge weapons firing where the Siege was... and then I got knocked down. Then my shield left. Then I almost died. More Volge weapons in the distance. What the hell? This may be an issue where stuff is getting cued up so a bottleneck in traffic may make things far worse.

Now, I know, check our connections, wireless routers, reset this, touch that, get a better connection... That may be (and has never worked for Defiance), but why does every single other game play out fine for both of us? No excuse.

Just FYI and something to ponder about.

EDIT - It got way worse after DLC 1 dropped. Had very few problems before that. Yes, Day 1 player here.