PDA

View Full Version : Returning Player

VKX
11-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Coming back to try out Defiance again. I have a character that was at the final boss (or he was the final boss when I left) but I'll probably make a new one just because. Anything special I should know?

I got the DLC, but I seem to remember some weapon types just weren't around at the start of the game. How long before I can get one of those nifty melee weapons?

Download Time Remaining: 1:48:18. :D

Holy Bahamut3
11-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Don't expect much...

Sanguinesun
11-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Coming back to try out Defiance again. I have a character that was at the final boss (or he was the final boss when I left) but I'll probably make a new one just because. Anything special I should know?

I got the DLC, but I seem to remember some weapon types just weren't around at the start of the game. How long before I can get one of those nifty melee weapons?

Download Time Remaining: 1:48:18. :D

I'll speculate the reasons and frustrations perhaps that you felt and were factored into your leaving previously will be the same or more as you return.

Laranja
11-19-2013, 05:28 AM
I'll speculate the reasons and frustrations perhaps that you felt and were factored into your leaving previously will be the same or more as you return.

Don't suppose you'd care to expand on that a bit? Curious as to why some of you guys are so negative toward this game? Not having a go at you, just curious.

Etaew
11-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Don't suppose you'd care to expand on that a bit? Curious as to why some of you guys are so negative toward this game? Not having a go at you, just curious.

People start out all youthful and optimistic, then after months of the same thing with no real hope it turns into resentment. It is a cycle that a lot of people have gone through with this game.

Essentially there hasn't been a lot of improvements to the game since launch, yes there have been some minor features but the gameplay remains the same.

- If you left because there wasn't enough to do after the story apart from grind arkfalls, that has mostly stayed the same, they added a new type of arkfall (Dark Matter) and two siege types (Afflicted and Volge).
- If you left because you ran out of story content, that has stayed the same, proposed DLC 3 but who knows when that could arrive.
- If you left because the gear grind was the end game, that has stayed the same.
- If you left because the gear was only obtainable with keycodes and lockboxes, that is mostly the same, you can now get legendary from the top tiers of siege rewards and dark matter major arkfalls?.
- If you left because bugs were unaddressed, some bugs have been fixed but a number still remain.
- If you left because grinding weapons / kills for pursuits left you burnt out, that has remained the same.
- If you left because the chat system did not work, that has remained the same.
- If you left because everyone but a handful of people rendered as the same model, that has remained the same (PC users may get a fix at DLC 2).
- If you left because there was no hardmode co-op maps, currently that is the same although arkfall interiors is coming in DLC 2.
- If you left because daily and weekly contracts were obscure and essentially meaningless, that has remained the same, although contracts will be tied to conflict sites and displayed on the map in the future.
- If you left because of the horrible console based UI, that has remained the same, although we will see some changes in DLC 2.
- If you left because of the lack of developer transparency that is mostly the same, Trion have made an effort and showed off DLC 2 earlier, but potentially that was unwise as people don't want to wait for it. They answer weekly questions, but a lot of answers are vague.
- If you left because patches and fixes were delayed because of simultaneous release on all platforms, that remains the same.
- If you left because of overpriced store items, that remains the same.
- If you left because of disconnects and patcher issues, that remains the same.
- If you left because of the same combat system over and over again, DLC 2 will introduce potion type boosts and deployable boosts.
- If you left because the story missions were unable to be played in groups, DLC 2 will allow groups to replay any mission together.
- If you left because there were no new co-op maps, that remains the same.
- If you left because PvP matches didn't pop, that is currently the same although we are told coming is a new queuing system that should allow that to happen more frequently.

Edit: continue to add a few

zambeezi
11-19-2013, 05:50 AM
People start out all youthful and optimistic, then after months of the same thing with no real hope it turns into resentment. It is a cycle that a lot of people have gone through with this game.

Essentially there hasn't been a lot of improvements to the game since launch, yes there have been some minor features but the gameplay remains the same.

- If you left because there wasn't enough to do after the story apart from grind arkfalls, that has mostly stayed the same, they added a new type of arkfall (Dark Matter) and two siege types (Afflicted and Volge).
- If you left because you ran out of story content, that has stayed the same, proposed DLC 3 but who knows when that could arrive.
- If you left because the gear grind was the end game, that has stayed the same.
- If you left because the gear was only obtainable with keycodes and lockboxes, that is mostly the same, you can now get legendary from the top tiers of siege rewards and dark matter major arkfalls?.
- If you left because bugs were unaddressed, some bugs have been fixed but a number still remain.
- If you left because grinding weapons / kills for pursuits left you burnt out, that has remained the same.
- If you left because the chat system did not work, that has remained the same.
- If you left because everyone but a handful of people rendered as the same model, that has remained the same (PC users may get a fix at DLC 2).
- If you left because there was no hardmode co-op maps, currently that is the same although arkfall interiors is coming in DLC 2.
- If you left because daily and weekly contracts were obscure and essentially meaningless, that has remained the same, although contracts will be tied to conflict sites and displayed on the map in the future.
- If you left because of the horrible console based UI, that has remained the same, although we will see some changes in DLC 2.
- If you left because of the lack of developer transparency that is mostly the same, Trion have made an effort and showed off DLC 2 earlier, but potentially that was unwise as people don't want to wait for it. They answer weekly questions, but a lot of answers are vague.
- If you left because patches and fixes were delayed because of simultaneous release on all platforms, that remains the same.
- If you left because of overpriced store items, that remains the same.
- If you left because of disconnects and patcher issues, that remains the same.
- If you left because of the same combat system over and over again, DLC 2 will introduce potion type boosts and deployable boosts.
- If you left because the story missions were unable to be played in groups, DLC 2 will allow groups to replay any mission together.
- If you left because there were no new co-op maps, that remains the same.
- If you left because PvP matches didn't pop, that is currently the same although we are told coming is a new queuing system that should allow that to happen more frequently.

Edit: continue to add a few

Thank you for all the info. I won't bother playing it for now then...

Holy Bahamut3
11-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Don't forget their handling of pre patch weapons, which may be why a new character was started.

N3gativeCr33p
11-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Don't expect much...

Great words of advice. ^^^

In addition: "Keep your expectations really low, and you won't be disappointed." ;)

Bane_Of_Legends
11-19-2013, 07:24 AM
"Keep your expectations really low, and you won't be disappointed."

Words to live by.
Also love the quote in your sig. Nothing funnier than getting called an idiot by someone that forgets to add the d. Heh, they can take that d and shove it..

Zugo
11-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Aside from what everyone is imposing on you. I would say give the game a try and make your own decision. You've already made the initial purchase so giving it another shot is free of charge.

There have been some changes that may interest you but I urge you to make your own decision.

Bane_Of_Legends
11-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Of course, as Zugo said. I'm not trying to deter you from coming back. Also, if the melee weapon you're talking about is the charge blade, you can get one by getting incredibly lucky with a T4 lockbox, or by purchasing and completing the first DLC.

VKX
11-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Wow, lots of negativity...

I originally left because PvE hacking was making arkfalls and events simply not fun and as a casual PvE'er that was my end game. I see no noticable PvE hacking now. Maybe veterans can tell that some other PvE players are cheating to some degree, but I'm not seeing a SAW or AR spray the field and have everything die instantly, or bosses getting instagibbed.

I made a new character because I wanted different weapon types anyway. My old main was Level/rating/whatever 500+ with rank 10ish on his weapon types, and an EGO full of cloak stuff. This time I'm going for Overcharge with LMG's, and hopefully a Charge Blade on swap. Pistols for now, simply because I started with one.

Met a few helpful players and had some fun skipping past the bridge... guy tried to run me past the giant robot thing guarding it by reviving me over and over LOL... obviously didn't work for lots of reasons... then we just did the Go To Friend thing and he showed me the vendor for Charge Blades. Going to have to earn some swirly points before I can get one though.

I'm hearing that you can reset the mastery on a weapon and master it again instead of having to find a new gun? Could you always do that, or is that new? If I could do that before I didn't know about it. I leveled my previous character's skills with lots of common/uncommon drops that I would master and toss.

rebtattoo
11-19-2013, 05:29 PM

I originally left because PvE hacking was making arkfalls and events simply not fun and as a casual PvE'er that was my end game. I see no noticable PvE hacking now. Maybe veterans can tell that some other PvE players are cheating to some degree, but I'm not seeing a SAW or AR spray the field and have everything die instantly, or bosses getting instagibbed.

I made a new character because I wanted different weapon types anyway. My old main was Level/rating/whatever 500+ with rank 10ish on his weapon types, and an EGO full of cloak stuff. This time I'm going for Overcharge with LMG's, and hopefully a Charge Blade on swap. Pistols for now, simply because I started with one.

Met a few helpful players and had some fun skipping past the bridge... guy tried to run me past the giant robot thing guarding it by reviving me over and over LOL... obviously didn't work for lots of reasons... then we just did the Go To Friend thing and he showed me the vendor for Charge Blades. Going to have to earn some swirly points before I can get one though.

I'm hearing that you can reset the mastery on a weapon and master it again instead of having to find a new gun? Could you always do that, or is that new? If I could do that before I didn't know about it. I leveled my previous character's skills with lots of common/uncommon drops that I would master and toss.I've been playing since mid July. I didn't know about the weapon mastery until late August. Some things the game is very vague about.

Like Zugo said, play it, make your own decision. Try and get into an active clan or group of friends. Makes playing a lot nicer. I still play and have a blast.

Zugo
11-20-2013, 09:03 AM

I'm hearing that you can reset the mastery on a weapon and master it again instead of having to find a new gun? Could you always do that, or is that new? If I could do that before I didn't know about it. I leveled my previous character's skills with lots of common/uncommon drops that I would master and toss.

The weapon re-mastery option was not part of the original game so it may be new to you. Shortly after that they reduced the arc salvage costs for adding mod slots to weapons by about 98%.

The weapons that you find now will aslo have a few changes. You will see stat rolls for each rarity the weapon includes.

example: Random stat rolls. Mav's weapon stat guide (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?99055-Mav-s-Guide-to-Weapon-Bonus-Rolls-and-More)

Green weapon = white, green
Blue weapon = white, green, blue
Purple weapon = white, green, blue, purple
Orange weapon = white, green, blue, purple, orange

Gun damage now scales on rarity: (increases based on white weapon)

Green weapons - 3% Damage increase
Blue weapons - 6% Damage increase
Purple weapons - 10% Damage increase
Orange weapons - 15% Damage increase

My gamer tag is listed below, feel free to shoot me a friend request if you are on Xbox360 NA. I may be able to give you some more detail on other changes.

N3gativeCr33p
11-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Sometimes, the truth hurts.

VKX
11-22-2013, 04:57 AM
The weapon re-mastery option was not part of the original game so it may be new to you. Shortly after that they reduced the arc salvage costs for adding mod slots to weapons by about 98%.

Mav's weapon stat guide (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?99055-Mav-s-Guide-to-Weapon-Bonus-Rolls-and-More)

Thanks for the link and information. I'm away on a trip just now and Warframe just put out a big content patch I'll have to explore when I get back, so I'll probably return in early December.

Since I can find one good weapon and keep using it to get mastery instead of having to keep using random ones, I think I'll go back to my main rather than continue that new character.

Sometimes, the truth hurts.

It's not a matter of the truth hurting, it's a matter of people not telling the whole truth to make it look like it hurts more than it does. You need to stop trying to find clever ways to take shots at Trion employees and think about other people looking for a game. I would gladly tell any friend to come give this a try. As a returning player the game does feel like it's moving forward, and though it may be moving slowly I'm seeing a good direction. Many TPS and FPS games have come out where people wanted melee primary weapons and the community was brushed off. Seeing that get put into Defiance as a new weapon type is very encouraging even if any one particular person does or does not like them.

N3gativeCr33p
11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
You need to stop trying to find clever ways to take shots at Trion employees and think about other people looking for a game.

Me? Finding clever ways to take shots at Trion employees? Don't think so. Sorry, I wouldn't recommend this game to a friend because quite frankly, it doesn't get supported enough from their own development staff. And if there's one thing that I can be accused of around here, it would be the fact that I used to stick up for them quite often. I've just grown sick and tired of the same song and dance from their group over the past few weeks, starting with the complete lack of Defiance streaming during the EL weekend.

And now they're all about building hype for some new game they're working on each and every chance they get? While this game just seems to be cast aside to the junk pile? Wow...