PDA

View Full Version : Is there going to be pets if not would you want the ability to have ones

DougFlorence
07-20-2012, 09:18 PM
I personally love the use of minions,set ups, and pets and deeply hope there will be either pets or set ups if there is hurray if not would you want pets and set ups.

Escyos
07-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I personally love the use of minions,set ups, and pets and deeply hope there will be either pets or set ups if there is hurray if not would you want pets and set ups.

I'd like to be able to ride a Hellbug around...although you might get a bit eaten.

DougFlorence
07-21-2012, 07:36 AM
I'd like to be able to ride a Hellbug around...although you might get a bit eaten.

That would be fun and funny to watch happen so Im assuming your for Pets and set ups

Adsinonimous
07-21-2012, 10:46 AM
This would be an interesting feature and I love pets in many other games. They make me feel that little bit more powerful :)
I'm sure if they aren't in the game when it is released there could always be pets implemented at a later date? :D

Von
07-21-2012, 01:44 PM
I am for pets or companions. Could you imagine the types of pets you could have?
I could see dogs, mutated dogs because of the terraforming, or even a domesticated
hellbug. But I remember the Defiance Comic Con panel that the producers of the show
thought they could have horses in the show but realize it would but too hard for the
game developers to make.

I do agree you might see an animal companion or pet in the future. But you also have
to wonder how they work along side our vehicles. Imagine your dog running along side
your quad. Of course if you have a car, I'm sure they could have it jumping into the
vehicle and sit next to you maybe.

DougFlorence
07-21-2012, 02:44 PM
This would be an interesting feature and I love pets in many other games. They make me feel that little bit more powerful
I'm sure if they aren't in the game when it is released there could always be pets implemented at a later date?

I agree I love that feeling that your backs gonna be watched by loyal and protective minions

I am for pets or companions. Could you imagine the types of pets you could have?
I could see dogs, mutated dogs because of the terraforming, or even a domesticated
hellbug. But I remember the Defiance Comic Con panel that the producers of the show
thought they could have horses in the show but realize it would but too hard for the
game developers to make.

I do agree you might see an animal companion or pet in the future. But you also have
to wonder how they work along side our vehicles. Imagine your dog running along side
your quad. Of course if you have a car, I'm sure they could have it jumping into the
vehicle and sit next to you maybe.

The pets could also be like Machine drones, or animals that are genetically altered or Terraformed animals as you said but you also have to wonder about where that quad appears from is it built in front of you or is it spacially compressed.

For mounts its hard to implement unless you already have the animations down like say a HellBug, you would need to build a new animation set for it, anew model, concepting etc. .

But for Organic pets you could have it that they are constructed if you have the genetic sequence for pet-a or you need to collect genetics from certain species to make your pet or even have a chance to make a random mutation from a pet I mean the Votan can Terraform a planet and its ecosystem whats to stop the new Human/Votan Technologies from making new species to anyone that wants that pet type. You could have the pets constructed in front of you like the quad and when your far enough away from you they disintegrate or return to whatever place the quads come from also another way is as you said is to have them jump into the vehicle.

Mechanical pets you could have it that they are constructed if you have the parts and power source for them to run off of.

Telnedra
07-21-2012, 08:09 PM
It would be totally reasonable to have a companion, and have it fight for you. If you are going to be playing with genetics, then why not a cross between a dog and some as yet unknown animal species which will make it a battle dog from hell that loves doggie treats? :)

DougFlorence
07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
It would be totally reasonable to have a companion, and have it fight for you. If you are going to be playing with genetics, then why not a cross between a dog and some as yet unknown animal species which will make it a battle dog from hell that loves doggie treats? :)

I agree and lol liking of the genetics idea you have to admit it would be amazing to have genetics idea like that

Arkamenitas
07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
im actually against this. mostly because it's never been done well in any mmo i've ever played.

Jenbuu
07-22-2012, 02:25 PM
you gotta think about this on another level, more about game mechanics,
this will be a over the shoulder shooter, there wont be any tab targeting or anything like that from the sounds of it
so there would have to be some major mechanics involved to be able to control the pet, i don't like ive seen any pet systems like it done or done well

Siantlark
07-22-2012, 02:31 PM
this will be a over the shoulder shooter, there wont be any tab targeting or anything like that from the sounds of it
so there would have to be some major mechanics involved to be able to control the pet, i don't like ive seen any pet systems like it done or done well
You could simply have it follow you around and have an automated AI whose general behavior you could change via a menu bound to a key (Hostile, Follow Me, BlahBlah) which would leave it relatively hand free.

DougFlorence
07-22-2012, 02:46 PM

You could simply have it follow you around and have an automated AI whose general behavior you could change via a menu bound to a key (Hostile, Follow Me, BlahBlah) which would leave it relatively hand free.

I agree theres nothing saying you have to physically control the pet you can allow it to freely roam around you or have it set to a command system as Siantlark had mentioned or even a timeout, or it cant go past a certain distance past you theres many good ways to implement pets and ive seen it done a couple of times where it made the game a little more unique. Plus third person perspective doesnt mean you cant just unleash your pet or pets and pay attention to other enemies while your pet or pets distract another for you.

Jenbuu
07-22-2012, 03:50 PM
I agree theres nothing saying you have to physically control the pet you can allow it to freely roam around you or have it set to a command system as Siantlark had mentioned or even a timeout, or it cant go past a certain distance past you theres many good ways to implement pets and ive seen it done a couple of times where it made the game a little more unique. Plus third person perspective doesnt mean you cant just unleash your pet or pets and pay attention to other enemies while your pet or pets distract another for you.

valid points from both of you but there still would need to be some for room for control, or you will get people saying "why isn't it attacking x character"

it would work if they got it spot on but if it didn't work as well as they wanted it would be a downfall but that's my opinion.

Siantlark
07-22-2012, 04:05 PM
valid points from both of you but there still would need to be some for room for control, or you will get people saying "why isn't it attacking x character"

it would work if they got it spot on but if it didn't work as well as they wanted it would be a downfall but that's my opinion.

Simple. Have an "Attack monster that I attack" "Attack monster with most health" "Lowest Health" and other stuff like that.

eyeswatch13579
07-22-2012, 04:16 PM
I mean, I wouldn't want little creatures walking around beside everyone. I would want drones or some type of robot that gives you buffs or debuffs the enemy. Cover fire would be good. It could also guard you or attract the attention of attacking enemies if you were low on health. I like the idea a little bit.

Jenbuu
07-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Simple. Have an "Attack monster that I attack" "Attack monster with most health" "Lowest Health" and other stuff like that.

i agree but i agree that it would need something more refined then that, with it being a fps, you will get stray bullets etc that could potentially hit other mobs, which would then change the " attack what i attack"

if they could find a way of "tagging" a npc now that would save a lot of hassle, not quiet tab targeting, but something that you could use to say attack, or give agro to your pet

Siantlark
07-22-2012, 06:37 PM
i agree but i agree that it would need something more refined then that, with it being a fps, you will get stray bullets etc that could potentially hit other mobs, which would then change the " attack what i attack"

if they could find a way of "tagging" a npc now that would save a lot of hassle, not quiet tab targeting, but something that you could use to say attack, or give agro to your pet

Firefall has a "tagging" system that they call the SIN network (Shared Intelligence Network) that marks enemies when you put your cursor over them and press "F", a similar more simplified version of that could work here.

DougFlorence
07-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I mean, I wouldn't want little creatures walking around beside everyone. I would want drones or some type of robot that gives you buffs or debuffs the enemy. Cover fire would be good. It could also guard you or attract the attention of attacking enemies if you were low on health. I like the idea a little bit.

Another good reason to like pets

Firefall has a "tagging" system that they call the SIN network (Shared Intelligence Network) that marks enemies when you put your cursor over them and press "F", a similar more simplified version of that could work here.

Thats another good example but be careful not to break the Beta confidentiality another example you can use is the global agenda pets and setups but those werent my favs so far im loving the Firefall setups. But theres many ways to implement pets in I myself love organic pets and the occasional badass mechanical pet and would love to see pes in defiance.

Siantlark
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Thats another good example but be careful not to break the Beta confidentiality another example you can use is the global agenda pets and setups but those werent my favs so far im loving the Firefall setups. But theres many ways to implement pets in I myself love organic pets and the occasional badass mechanical pet and would love to see pes in defiance.
Pft if we were under NDA for the Firefall Beta still even mentioning that "You're loving the Firefall setups" would've broken it. :P Nah the NDA got dropped a while ago.

DougFlorence
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Pft if we were under NDA for the Firefall Beta still even mentioning that "You're loving the Firefall setups" would've broken it. :P Nah the NDA got dropped a while ago.

Okay was just making sure lol :D

Punisher
07-24-2012, 02:54 PM

I thought I recognized that name from somewhere! Nice to see I'm not the only Firefaller interested in this game as well!

Siantlark
07-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I thought I recognized that name from somewhere! Nice to see I'm not the only Firefaller interested in this game as well!
A lot of them are actually. Firefall, Planetside 2 and Defiance are pretty much the three ruling MMOFPS games right now.

DougFlorence
07-24-2012, 10:05 PM
A lot of them are actually. Firefall, Planetside 2 and Defiance are pretty much the three ruling MMOFPS games right now.

Yup and Im uber eager :D to hear more info on Planetside 2 and Defiance

DougFlorence
07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
I thought of another good example for this Trions very own game Rift ex. the necromancer and elementalist that summon elementals and Undead.

Kalbuir
07-29-2012, 06:28 AM
I thought of another good example for this Trions very own game Rift ex. the necromancer and elementalist that summon elementals and Undead.

If they are going to do pets that way in my oppinion they might as well leave it out tbh. I never liked the minion implementation in RIFT, although the beast master and ranger one is probably the best the Mage ones are just in the way.

I prefer pets to be just that pets not major gameplay mechanics but more like fluff, all they then need is pathing and maybe some dialog options. The fluff factor of them works in many games as people want to collect them all or get that "one" cool looking one.

The only way I can see a minion system making sense in Defiance is with robots or other A.I. 's. Pets such as wolfs, dogs and other creatures I really doubt they will make it in, as they already said horses are a big no go for their IP in the comiccon panel.

DougFlorence
07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
If they are going to do pets that way in my oppinion they might as well leave it out tbh. I never liked the minion implementation in RIFT, although the beast master and ranger one is probably the best the Mage ones are just in the way.

I prefer pets to be just that pets not major gameplay mechanics but more like fluff, all they then need is pathing and maybe some dialog options. The fluff factor of them works in many games as people want to collect them all or get that "one" cool looking one.

The only way I can see a minion system making sense in Defiance is with robots or other A.I. 's. Pets such as wolfs, dogs and other creatures I really doubt they will make it in, as they already said horses are a big no go for their IP in the comiccon panel.

I was only using Rift pets as an example :D I was saying that theyve done pets and its not much of a stretch for them to be able to improve pets for Defiance

I admit though a little fluff to a pet or creation of a pet is nice allows the pet to be brought into the story

Theirs multiple ways to have pets in a story like Defiance you can go with advanced robot machines from humans or drones that are human/Votan hybrid technology,A.I. machines that have a similiar body design to a creature , or even using Votan technology make special hybrid creatures using local species DNA or whatever genetics are required to make it. Mounts though I really doubt vehicles would make more sense

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 12:53 PM
pets are nearly in EVERY mmo, so if its in or not, i dont really care. what i do care about is if they do have pets of sorts, maybe they can do more than just be cosmetic? add some small amount of inventory space or ammo, or a pack or something? just saying...

DougFlorence
07-31-2012, 06:09 PM
pets are nearly in EVERY mmo, so if its in or not, i dont really care. what i do care about is if they do have pets of sorts, maybe they can do more than just be cosmetic? add some small amount of inventory space or ammo, or a pack or something? just saying...

That would be unique and interesting

Jenbuu
08-01-2012, 01:30 AM

That would be unique and interesting

Aion did this well they had pets that had bag space, that would loot the area for you, that would tell you when enemy players were around.

DougFlorence
08-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Aion did this well they had pets that had bag space, that would loot the area for you, that would tell you when enemy players were around.

Thats definetly a unique pet type I havent seen in an mmo good example

Matt Treck
08-04-2012, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't mind having pets, and just to be clear I mean purely aesthetic pets.

However combat companions would be neat as well, but I'd be surprised if we see any of those at launch.

Jenbuu
08-04-2012, 02:38 AM

However combat companions would be neat as well, but I'd be surprised if we see any of those at launch.

they could always do a pre order with a vanity pet in lol

DougFlorence
08-04-2012, 08:23 AM

I would much rather have combat companions to asthetic companions

they could always do a pre order with a vanity pet in lol

Vanity pets I just want pets in game not to have to pay to get them

Matt Treck
08-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I would much rather have combat companions to asthetic companions

Vanity pets I just want pets in game not to have to pay to get them

Don't get me wrong I would love combat companions, I just see that as being a game-changer if they're not currently in.

DougFlorence
08-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Don't get me wrong I would love combat companions, I just see that as being a game-changer if they're not currently in.

Their still in early development anyhting can happen especially for the pets

Sam
08-05-2012, 09:23 AM
I liked Fable 2/3's dog system how they're all the same stat-wise, but you can change the look of them and they can find and point out loot. Yet instead don't think they should attack or be killed though if they had pets that is.

DougFlorence
08-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I liked Fable 2/3's dog system how they're all the same stat-wise, but you can change the look of them and they can find and point out loot. Yet instead don't think they should attack or be killed though if they had pets that is.

Like the idea of loot hunting pets I personally just love combat pets

Sam
08-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Like the idea of loot hunting pets I personally just love combat pets

In my personal opinion I think in a shooter element game the first player to get their pet over to the other player (PVP) would have the upper hand. I would say maybe having beneficial stats on a pet that increases the player combat efficiency if they were to affect combat. (Also being an adorable little treasure/ammo hunter on the side)

DougFlorence
08-05-2012, 12:26 PM
In my personal opinion I think in a shooter element game the first player to get their pet over to the other player (PVP) would have the upper hand. I would say maybe having beneficial stats on a pet that increases the player combat efficiency if they were to affect combat. (Also being an adorable little treasure/ammo hunter on the side)

I can imagine something like that happening in the TV show a cute pet goes around stealing stuff and the main characters girl likes it and takes it with them pandemonium ensues.

I find pets that just sit there or follow you and enhance you and die arent really realistic, at least they could realisticly defend

Escyos
08-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I've heard of no news regarding pets at all. Defiance has been following quite a realistic (at least in sci-fi) path, and having everyone run around with a magical dog that finds treasure just detracts from that.

DougFlorence
08-06-2012, 02:42 PM
I've heard of no news regarding pets at all. Defiance has been following quite a realistic (at least in sci-fi) path, and having everyone run around with a magical dog that finds treasure just detracts from that.

I dont want magic dogs or animals trust me thats annoying to see all the time no I just want pets I can summon to fight with me and if pets were ever to do any loot huntig I would imagine it would be moe like what a racoon does picking up shiny objects just because they shine like metal or certain plastics.

Escyos
08-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Well we do know that there were many alien animals that arrived on the arks, so it's a possibility. But like I said, the game seems to follow reality and there are few animals that could be trained for such multitasking abilities.

DougFlorence
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Well we do know that there were many alien animals that arrived on the arks, so it's a possibility. But like I said, the game seems to follow reality and there are few animals that could be trained for such multitasking abilities.

I imagine it would be simple to teach two commands to a pet for attacking "attack" and "come back" are the only 2 commnads an attack dog needs in real life. Also the alien animals could range in intellignece from just instincts to tha of a dolphin we dont know yet. But realisticly when your hunting, hunters usually bring an animal to sniff out or flush out prey or if he worst case scenario send their pet to die instead of them if the prey turns to predator.

Escyos
08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
I imagine it would be simple to teach two commands to a pet for attacking "attack" and "come back" are the only 2 commnads an attack dog needs in real life. Also the alien animals could range in intellignece from just instincts to tha of a dolphin we dont know yet. But realisticly when your hunting, hunters usually bring an animal to sniff out or flush out prey or if he worst case scenario send their pet to die instead of them if the prey turns to predator.

True. I feel that such pets are usually in games that deal with mythological themes but rarely in sci-fi. Don't get me wrong, I hope that I can have a pet hellbug which I can hurl at enemies and then laugh and dance.

DougFlorence
08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
True. I feel that such pets are usually in games that deal with mythological themes but rarely in sci-fi. Don't get me wrong, I hope that I can have a pet hellbug which I can hurl at enemies and then laugh and dance.

I understand trust me I just want to have some pets to attack other enmies while I deal with one particula enemy. That would be funny or how about the hellbug is punted like a football at the enemy.

Arkamenitas
08-11-2012, 10:11 PM
seems a little controversial in here. But yeah, i really don't think pets make sense so much in a shooter as opposed to an rpg

DougFlorence
08-12-2012, 05:27 PM
seems a little controversial in here. But yeah, i really don't think pets make sense so much in a shooter as opposed to an rpg

Theres many examples of pets in shooters look at call of duty blak ops the attack dogs and in call of the dead the v-r11 makes distraction pets from the zombies, Call of Deuty Black ops 2 new drones that hover with you, Global Agendas various types of drones, Resistance 3-The mutator gun creates a suicidal pet that runs after an enemy and detonates if the enemy is killed it turns into another pet and continues to spread, the marksman secondary fire is to realese a small drone that auto attacks enemies, and the leaper perk that when you die creates frinedly pet Leapers/Spitters that attack enemies and defend you, Mass Effect 2-3 the engineer class uses drones extensively along with some of the player allies that can use drones. Theres more of course but you get the point

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 06:22 PM
and without fail all of them are silly.

DougFlorence
08-13-2012, 12:48 AM
and without fail all of them are silly.

Matter of opinion I personally loved Mass Effect 2-3 liked Restiance 3 but not as much

Cyber
08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
For me, I am less interested in pets in a FPS/TPS game, although I can't say for sure why that is. Perhaps I have simply never gravitated towards pets in any game. That isn't to say they shouldn't be included if people really want them. I think mostly I always just figured that there is always enough lag when you get plenty of players together, and pets just add to the load.

DougFlorence
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
For me, I am less interested in pets in a FPS/TPS game, although I can't say for sure why that is. Perhaps I have simply never gravitated towards pets in any game. That isn't to say they shouldn't be included if people really want them. I think mostly I always just figured that there is always enough lag when you get plenty of players together, and pets just add to the load.

Thats an honestly respectable answer true pets do add lag but then again so does the explosive happy players who use big flashy weapons or abilities.

allykill
08-13-2012, 11:25 PM
To me entering into pvp and every person having pets would just be annoying beyond belief.. Id like player on player combat not player vs player + 16 animals running around.. it seems like a complete game ruiner.. also when someone kills me id rather it be their skill > my skill.. not because i got mobbed by 4 pets

Jenbuu
08-14-2012, 02:07 AM
To me entering into pvp and every person having pets would just be annoying beyond belief.. Id like player on player combat not player vs player + 16 animals running around.. it seems like a complete game ruiner.. also when someone kills me id rather it be their skill > my skill.. not because i got mobbed by 4 pets

if you had the ability to have a combat pet i would like to have to train into it or spec into it, so that your pet would be harder and better ( and allowed to be in pvp) and your aim and damage is reduced.

DougFlorence
08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
if you had the ability to have a combat pet i would like to have to train into it or spec into it, so that your pet would be harder and better ( and allowed to be in pvp) and your aim and damage is reduced.

I like Jenbuus idea makes pets interestig to use

Von
08-16-2012, 06:19 PM
If there are pets in Defiance, they will probably be robotic. If you look
carefully at the making of Defiance video, you'll notice a spider like
robot walking around the city of Defiance and in one of the concept
pics you'll notice a robotic like sphere floating around.

Of course I could be wrong with what they are.

DougFlorence
08-16-2012, 07:11 PM
If there are pets in Defiance, they will probably be robotic. If you look
carefully at the making of Defiance video, you'll notice a spider like
robot walking around the city of Defiance and in one of the concept
pics you'll notice a robotic like sphere floating around.

Of course I could be wrong with what they are.

Hey Robotic pets are cool I personally wouldnt mind them I would love Bio mechanical pets though

Ravallian
08-17-2012, 11:56 AM
How about a robotic pet that has a special overdrive that merge with you to give a short boost of power., a bi like a trincket so to speak.

DougFlorence
08-17-2012, 07:37 PM
How about a robotic pet that has a special overdrive that merge with you to give a short boost of power., a bi like a trincket so to speak.

Weird pet sounds like an alien pet or alien race pet

Za3n
08-21-2012, 04:25 AM
If any pet's at all I would take a shot in the dark and say something akin to Engineer's in other games with temp turret's and such, or if they go more bio-tech ability option maybe a clone of yourself (god i miss exobiologist from tabula rasa).

DougFlorence
08-21-2012, 12:01 PM
If any pet's at all I would take a shot in the dark and say something akin to Engineer's in other games with temp turret's and such, or if they go more bio-tech ability option maybe a clone of yourself (god i miss exobiologist from tabula rasa).

I still have the strategy guide from tabula rasa and the exo biologist was very unique in its abilitis so sad I never got to try the engineer class or Exo Biologist class but anyways thats a very good example of bio tech abilites because votan tech seems to use bio-tech or use biology of its user to its advantage.

Mindfix
08-21-2012, 01:45 PM
I doubt they will have any kind of pets unless we are talking about a companion type pet that just follows you around.

DougFlorence
08-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I doubt they will have any kind of pets unless we are talking about a companion type pet that just follows you around.

We can only hope and post for pets

Mindfix
08-22-2012, 09:52 AM
We can only hope and post for pets

Aye and maybe they will bring something like this to defiance but another thought would be is it is going to follow closely with the show so if we see some kind of unique pets on the show it is likely to appear in the game. Even if we down't see it right away may come with updates.

DougFlorence
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Aye and maybe they will bring something like this to defiance but another thought would be is it is going to follow closely with the show so if we see some kind of unique pets on the show it is likely to appear in the game. Even if we down't see it right away may come with updates.

Good point

Disdain
10-11-2012, 04:59 AM
AoC had pets that granted you a little bonus that grew with the players level, They were also combat pets, though they were pretty bad at it.

Shadinaxx
10-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Pretty sure that there will be abilities that allows you to setup sentry drones, turrets, etc, and as for actual pets, I can definately see non combat pets, but also wouldnt be surprised if they had a little "extra" (not to mention thrilled if that happens).

Disdain
10-12-2012, 08:03 AM
“Give me turrets” (>’’)> /|\””” Turrets, I hadn’t even really thought about turrets, now that would be nice to see, I always loved being an engineer In Global Agenda, a well placed turret can change the tide of battle.

I can see there is the potential for this game to include so many things that I feel when it is released I might have let myself down with such high expectations for the game :S

Militaratus
12-15-2012, 04:25 AM
If I could choose any kind of pet, then I want a small dragon-like pet, or an orange fox, or a cat. They don't have to have any combat value, just fun animations and maybe being able to pet them.

AmazingPatt
12-15-2012, 05:17 AM
my atv gonna be my pet =D

Shadinaxx
12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Now, was playing some old games to pass the time, inlcuding ENB (the emulator), and D2. EnB allows you to put a name on your ship that anyone can read, and D2 allowed you to personalize a piece of gear. I would love to name my gun, put a small (6-12 character limit) tag line on the side of it.

"I gotta take Bertha out on a date"
- "Who is Bertha?"
"BERTHA! My rocket launcher, she's been dying to go play with some hellbugs"
- "eeeeeeek!"

stormaaron
12-15-2012, 10:20 PM
my atv gonna be my pet =D

you can have you ATV i want a cerbrus

Carnak
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I could go either way on the issue of pets.

I've played some MMOs as pet classes and loved them. In others not. As with just about any game mechanic it depends on how well implemented it is.

AmazingPatt
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
you can have you ATV i want a cerbrus

My ATV is Cuter >_<

MaxTwelve
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Like the idea of companions be they, turrets, surveillance, drones, or aliens.

My Hellbug goes with me everywhere, sitting in my car window since PAX Prime. :cool:

Titchi
01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Like the idea of companions be they, turrets, surveillance, drones, or aliens.

My Hellbug goes with me everywhere, sitting in my car window since PAX Prime. :cool:

I want one, give it to me.

MaxTwelve
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I want one, give it to me.

The kind Trion team I chatted with for a while gave me several for our community, but they have all gone to good homes. :( sorry

I can show you a nice picture of mine, or me and the red haired model together.

Guknowit
01-08-2013, 04:42 PM
More than likely, and Hell yeah I want pets, whether they be functional or just cosmetic.

Titchi
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
The kind Trion team I chatted with for a while gave me several for our community, but they have all gone to good homes. :( sorry

I can show you a nice picture of mine, or me and the red haired model together.

I need addresses and names. I will steal one.

Unless Trion wants to be really friendly and give me one with my Ultimate Game Version. :o

Doc
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Not sure how good it would go in a 3rd person shooter.

Titchi
01-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Not sure how good it would go in a 3rd person shooter.

Defiance is like any other MMO. In WoW I would just run around with my companion pet killing things and PvPing. It would just follow you. Only problem I see is the the pet would still appear when you use cloaking. :cool:

Paladin
01-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Defiance is like any other MMO. In WoW I would just run around with my companion pet killing things and PvPing. It would just follow you. Only problem I see is the the pet would still appear when you use cloaking. :cool:

But having a pet would make the UI clunkier for a TPS if they take the WoW route. If they add pets most likely it will just be a passive buff or such.

Titchi
01-08-2013, 08:53 PM
But having a pet would make the UI clunkier for a TPS if they take the WoW route. If they add pets most likely it will just be a passive buff or such.

For console users, yes. But the only one who matters is the Master PC Gamer. :p
I hear ya' though.

shivan
01-08-2013, 09:56 PM
All the interviews I see, they all say that Defiance is a third person shooter first and a mmo second. So with that in mind a pet is mainly a part of a mmo. I do not think they will have pet at first but maybe as the game progress they might put pets in.

Doc
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
For console users, yes. But the only one who matters is the Master PC Gamer. :p
I hear ya' though.

In MMO games so far that are console/pc based games, the console users end up supporting the majority of the income in the game itself. IE In DCUO which is a PS3/PC MMO, the PS3 accounts for over 70% of DCUO's revenue and has since launch. (2years now)

SO I would hope Defiance would take the consoles into serious consideration when implementing game breaking ideas and additions to the actual game.

If it can support Pets on the console, Im all for it, if it will interfere and cause lag or glitches, then hopefully they trash the idea.

Titchi
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
In MMO games so far that are console/pc based games, the console users end up supporting the majority of the income in the game itself. IE In DCUO which is a PS3/PC MMO, the PS3 accounts for over 70% of DCUO's revenue and has since launch. (2years now)

SO I would hope Defiance would take the consoles into serious consideration when implementing game breaking ideas and additions to the actual game.

If it can support Pets on the console, Im all for it, if it will interfere and cause lag or glitches, then hopefully they trash the idea.

I'm sure Trion wouldn't ignore any base of players because of an update, I think they would make sure that everything is compatible with all platforms. And I actually didn't know that little snid-bit about DCUO, kind of an interesting fact. :)

Mushy
01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Vanity pets - Yes I would like to see these, Vanity/Cosmetic Items are always good to make you stand out from the crowd.

Combat Pets - No I wouldn't like to see these, Combat pets/ Npc companions I feel take away a seance of self achievement as you could just send in sed pet/companion to do all/most of the work for you making gameplay boring. Also pets in a MMO shooter would most likely make those with them OP & force those that don't want them to have to get/use them in order to be competitive.

Myll_Erik
01-10-2013, 10:57 AM
We haven't announced any details or information yet - but please feel free to speculate and give us ideas. :)

We're all about giving people what they want as long as it's feasible and it makes sense.

Titchi
01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Vanity pets - Yes I would like to see these, Vanity/Cosmetic Items are always good to make you stand out from the crowd.

Combat Pets - No I wouldn't like to see these, Combat pets/ Npc companions I feel take away a seance of self achievement as you could just send in sed pet/companion to do all/most of the work for you making gameplay boring. Also pets in a MMO shooter would most likely make those with them OP & force those that don't want them to have to get/use them in order to be competitive.

I agree with this whole post. I'm all for Vanity pets! And not at all for Combat Pets. The only 'pet' you get for combat is the parasites from the gun called "The Infestor(?)"

MuKi1115
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree with this whole post. I'm all for Vanity pets! And not at all for Combat Pets. The only 'pet' you get for combat is the parasites from the gun called "The Infestor(?)"

Uh, I love the idea of a gun shooting parasites... Reminds me of pray which had awesome weaponry...

Oh and my opinion on the matter:
Vanity pets: Allright if they are there, won't miss them if they are not there
Combat pets: Not in a shooter, please

Dr Quin
01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Personally, I would want a bad *** mutated bobcat ~ 5 foot high at the shoulder ~ who would be by my side until it decided to run off and play/hunt/kill something, but would be instantly back when I got into trouble.

From a coding aspect ~ omg don't ask me to code that LoL ~ but y'all do it if you can.

Paladin
01-10-2013, 10:26 PM
It would be nice though if a skin for the atv was a robot animal or such.

Skidapesh
01-17-2013, 05:37 PM

There are many games with combat pets that are used in PvP, and it's usually a ranged class that has it. Those classes, like Hunters in WoW, may have an advantage over one class but not over another. It's all about balance. With a pet the Hunter can do good dps, but without the pet they dont really stand a chance in PvP.

ileleana
01-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I like the idea of pets but i've always hated games where pets were just a decoration and a waste of money (as most were bought on a paid store). So if they decide to actually add pets to the game at least let them do something; if not fighting with you maybe give them extra inventory space or item slot you can change out that give you pet buffs. Just a thought :)

MuKi1115
01-18-2013, 01:38 AM
I like the idea of pets but i've always hated games where pets were just a decoration and a waste of money (as most were bought on a paid store). So if they decide to actually add pets to the game at least let them do something; if not fighting with you maybe give them extra inventory space or item slot you can change out that give you pet buffs. Just a thought :)

A dirty cargo yak or camel, yeah I'ld like that in a post-apocalyptic setting...

Make_It_So
01-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Meh, don't know the obsession with pets, personally I find them distasteful, especially in a game like this.

Manstan
01-18-2013, 07:08 AM
NO, no, no pets.

KarmaComa
01-18-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't really see combat pets mechanics making it into the game and most of the time I find them to be a pain to balance.
Vanity coesmetic ones I don't really care.

Aaricane
01-18-2013, 08:07 AM
If they serve some unique purpose as described above then i would most certainly want to see them in the game!
But if it's similar to WoW/RIFT companions that didn't really serve any purpose, then while still cool, i wouldn't be as excited.

killerbee04x
01-22-2013, 03:03 AM
are there pets in the Tv-series? if so like a dog or cat. then maybe.. you could through a cat and have the creatures chase it.. then shoot them..

Arkainin
01-22-2013, 04:53 AM
I could see it being added in the future, but if anything right now I am guessing no.

WarMad2
01-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Who knows, we could always pick up a companion down the road and it be somewhat similar to SW:TOR? I actually enjoyed their companion setup. Probably the easiest one I have seen. Have them engage only when we were engaged or when I engaged or to remain passive in her slave girl outfit for looks lmao.

Eriandnil
01-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Do we need pets in every game these days? They're annoying enough in the MMO's, just picture a big fight with tons of people and 800 pets running around. And what's the point of having pets with over the shoulder view? ;)
But if they die from bullets and it's perma death, sure, then add them. :p

Viciouz
01-22-2013, 08:07 AM
I would love pets ... kinda like (fallout) the vault dweller and his dog... but what i would really like is turrets like an (TF2) Engineer like class that can drop a turret or two

Kitanya
01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Maybe there will be Drones, Turrets, Automatons with mounted turrets that you either can place or that follow you around slowly.

Hovering Drone that adds either better ranged accuracy (spotting/targetting), damage and good support in general (maybe even being able to be refitted with healing and/or crowdcontrol, smokescreens etc), and can help with some energy-blasts every now and then, or maybe a wheeled robot with a turret that adds more heavier firepower but less added boni and less support.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/05/ukdrone.jpg
http://preview.turbosquid.com/Preview/2010/12/19__15_10_53/hover%20drone%20render%201.bmpc2f49bcf-7574-4780-893f-a7a43cdd635bLarge.jpg
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/663148/remora6.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B6sV3zo2XLs/T1Jb3f6_c0I/AAAAAAAAE-E/vec95axREX4/s1600/drone-hovering-camera.jpg

Non-hovering version with caterpillartracks :D (just adds morale and advice and is quite the blabbermouth!)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CaWUIerwg4M/Tjwk0kA1REI/AAAAAAAAIhA/StXLMyVstnA/s1600/short-circuit-number-5.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/11/article-0-03D6DCEA000005DC-455_468x306.jpg
http://cdn2.winknews.com.s3.amazonaws.com/media/caterpillarrobotL.jpg

Turret-based Walker (more mobile than caterpillartracked but very fragile)
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/mobile-turret-4.jpg

Doc
01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Was there any pets in the Beta?

Viciouz
01-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Was there any pets in the Beta?

Dont think we are allowed to say with the whole NDA and what not.

Mantiss
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
I think having a few missions where you need to set up turrets or defenses in a PvE only setting would be great. Just don't allow a person to set turrets and like the up permanently or as a given skill, things like that in an FPS unbalance things and cause a lot of problems down the road.

As for other pets, it would be cool to "summon" like a pack mule or a yak for storage, like a roaming bank. Having something that has to follow you though would be cumbersome.

At best maybe adding little hovering drone pets to asthetics only would be neat, the pathing on other pets and the distraction might be too much in Defiance where bugs are crawling all over the place.

Viciouz
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
As for other pets, it would be cool to "summon" like a pack mule or a yak for storage, like a roaming bank. Having something that has to follow you though would be cumbersome.

What about having bag space on an ATV or Buggy like in Fallen Earth

SkyRobo1
01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Well when you say get a pet - do you mean like a combat pet to help you in combat? (Similar to a ranger class in some mmo's)
or do you want a pet for vanity reasons?

If its the former then I don't think It'll be good since this is a space-shooter mmo game and not fantasy. However if its the latter then I suppose having vanity pets is fine and is actually quite common in many mmo's.

Mantiss
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
What about having bag space on an ATV or Buggy like in Fallen Earth

A pack of some sort would be really cool.

I figured with the post-apocalypse theme it would be funnier/cooler to have something like:

A. Wally's pack-mule and yak service. Where it brings a pack-mule or Yak to pick up gear you want to store and some basic items to help you adventure.

B. Bob's Big Icecream truck delivery service. Have an ice cream truck pull up and open its doors to work as bank space and/or basic selling/buynig.

Things like that would be fun and allow a cooldown. Otherwise having just bags means forever bank space and might not work as well with the theme of this particular MMO.

Aaricane
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
A pack of some sort would be really cool.

I figured with the post-apocalypse theme it would be funnier/cooler to have something like:

A. Wally's pack-mule and yak service. Where it brings a pack-mule or Yak to pick up gear you want to store and some basic items to help you adventure.

B. Bob's Big Icecream truck delivery service. Have an ice cream truck pull up and open its doors to work as bank space and/or basic selling/buynig.

Things like that would be fun and allow a cooldown. Otherwise having just bags means forever bank space and might not work as well with the theme of this particular MMO.I think permanent bank/bag slots would fit more into a game slightly better then an ice cream truck bobbing along in the wasteland.

Travie
03-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I think permanent bank/bag slots would fit more into a game slightly better then an ice cream truck bobbing along in the wasteland.

B-but I love ice cream!

Kantazo
03-21-2013, 11:07 AM
I want AI pets that can spy, attack and kill enemies and are indestructible and are mutants

Defy
03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I think a pets/henchman feature would be cool

Akado
03-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I would def support non combat pets (I like to collect them.) As far as Companions, I wouldn't mind if it was something like SWTOR maybe even like the Fable dog (even though he was mostly useless) but I would live without.

KyoKunChan
03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
im actually against this. mostly because it's never been done well in any mmo i've ever played.

What he said and over all most games just use them to pick stuff up for you lol.

Dayrec
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
I could go for a pet. Minions are alway fun to have.

duction
03-21-2013, 11:35 AM
put in pets and make it pay real £ $ for pets, id buy one

Akado
03-21-2013, 11:45 AM
put in pets and make it pay real £ $ for pets, id buy one

I only feel good about paying real money for fake pets if either part of the money goes to a good cause or if the pet is really really really cool. In ideal case, both (Kung Fu Panda/WoW.)

AmishWarMachine
03-21-2013, 11:51 AM
I call dibs on Amaterasu

WarMad2
03-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I only feel good about paying real money for fake pets if either part of the money goes to a good cause or if the pet is really really really cool. In ideal case, both (Kung Fu Panda/WoW.)

I Agree, if they did Pets, but made you pay $$$ for them - I would just leave it alone.

I am more on the whole Combat/Pack Mule side though. Yeah, they could be animals (ie. dogs), robots, or even another AI person. I hear some ppl have problems because Pets never work out.. I have never had such a problem. PvP aspect, great for ambushes, distractions, manipulation, harassment, & such. Pets are really awesome if you know how to manipulate them. I would like to see where we can choose either a Flesh or Robotic Companion/Pet to tag along. Sometimes when going solo, it is kinda boring, but if you are a person who likes to RP - Pets/Companions are a decency to have along with you.

So, yes, I am all in favor of Combat Type Pets that we can Spec out as well as to use them to pick up items that replinishes ammo as well as sends drops directly to your Inventory. :D

-WM2

suicd3grunt
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Companions of a sort.

Whether it be literal pets (Mini Hellbug ect.) or a AI partner would be cool.

Freygea
03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
I would love to have some non combat pets just for the fun of it. A stray dog etc. I could see how they could fit into the story pretty easy.

Rapture
03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
I would love to have a pet jekkin!

ZombieTech
03-21-2013, 01:23 PM
I'd definitely be open to pets, I love pets. And as far as them fitting, I wouldn't see why not, plenty of room to work with too... I mean after all, the storyline is humans living along side of aliens that came from another solar system... so not like a person could say, "omg, that pet wouldn't be realistic". Maybe even traits/abilities inherent only to pets... like once you move within a certain radius of something to be found in game, perhaps like a relic, the pet becomes alert and starts roaming/zipping around, attempting to lead you (not quite so directly) to whatever the item might be, again, perhaps a relic (ark-ifact?, couldn't resist). Maybe even a way for the pet to "run for help" if our character goes down... kind of a way of doing what some games have as a "fight for your life" ability to give you a "second chance" before dying... just done a tad differently. Just ideas.

Nerdy Ryuu
03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
pets would be cool, maybe they will add it later.

DustOfDeath
03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
hwile at it lets have big bunny costumes and fairy wings and dragons too right? thats the general direction of all the games - out of theme and idiotic costumes and pets.

Irathiar
03-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Ok i dnt mind the idea of pets but i couldnt see how it would work for the xbox or ps considering all the buttons on the controllers are in use already so unless they did make them fully AI i couldnt see it workin for the consoles maybe pc but would be cool to have a pet hellbug :D

War Master Degan
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
I support anything that lets me further distinguish myself from others.

TurkeyBurgers
03-29-2013, 01:30 PM
How about a pet Kenya.

Sanguinesun
03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
The only pets you're getting in this game is a gun called the infector. With those pets you really dont need anything else :P

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 01:57 PM
would love to have pets...

small robot tanks that could follow me around...

Solo
03-29-2013, 02:06 PM
no pets i am against it

SqueezeMe
04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I give the pets suggestion a +

Xazur
04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
+99999 for some kind of pet system, or hireable npcs for people who like to solo.

WaGzy
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I want a pet dog, doesn't get much more epic than a pet dog.

SPIRITWRAITH
04-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Pets/minions could be cool if done well.

WASTELAND_SURVIVOR
04-06-2013, 05:26 PM
yes i like the idea alot. i wish i can roll around with two mutants haha

supernet2
04-06-2013, 06:43 PM
I agree I love that feeling that your backs gonna be watched by loyal and protective minions

The pets could also be like Machine drones, or animals that are genetically altered or Terraformed animals as you said but you also have to wonder about where that quad appears from is it built in front of you or is it spacially compressed.

For mounts its hard to implement unless you already have the animations down like say a HellBug, you would need to build a new animation set for it, anew model, concepting etc. .

But for Organic pets you could have it that they are constructed if you have the genetic sequence for pet-a or you need to collect genetics from certain species to make your pet or even have a chance to make a random mutation from a pet I mean the Votan can Terraform a planet and its ecosystem whats to stop the new Human/Votan Technologies from making new species to anyone that wants that pet type. You could have the pets constructed in front of you like the quad and when your far enough away from you they disintegrate or return to whatever place the quads come from also another way is as you said is to have them jump into the vehicle.

Mechanical pets you could have it that they are constructed if you have the parts and power source for them to run off of.

That is a feature i strongly believe should be apart of their micro-transaction system. It would definitely be something i'd pay to have, alongside the fact of keeping it of course balanced, but at the same time enabling free ones which are not as useful compared to the micro-transaction versions*

D351
04-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Meh... Don't care.

krodaruoy
04-06-2013, 06:58 PM

sounds like you play WoW. this isnt wow please no pets.

JBo796
04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
I want a pet cat.

Desiree Wolf
05-12-2013, 04:10 PM

As for it being done (& done well) look no further than World of Warcraft's Hunter & Warlock pet classes. The player has full control over his own skill bar as well as his pet's skill bar right above it. For Defiance though the pet would likely have its own unique perks allowing it deal damage a certain way, being ranged or CQC, having certain elemental powers, etc, etc. I would personally love to have a pet Metal Gear/Mantis (Dark Matter Bulwark) range for me with his cannon while I CQC with Blur, a LMG, & melee bonus perks. That'd be so AWESOME! :)

Jinn Goodman
05-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I personally love the use of minions,set ups, and pets and deeply hope there will be either pets or set ups if there is hurray if not would you want pets and set ups.I'd love to tug a Pow along and just watch him eat grass. Or maybe an alien chicken. It would be awesome. I don't really care for any more pet mechanics other than this. Keep it simple and clean.

... "Goodman & Pow" would be our TV show's name...

Desiree Wolf
05-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Magical dog no. Scavenger/recon machine that scouts the area around you in search for items? Yes. Realistic sci-fi it is :D

Zabuza
05-12-2013, 04:34 PM
No pets. Pet classes are always either broken overpowered or broken gimped. Too many problems already, no need to add to it.

If there are pets, they should die permanently if they are killed.

Nerotic
05-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Will there be pets.
Are there going to be? Doubt it, unless its a only bought with Bits thing... Fiffteen bucks at least.
Do I want the ability to have one?
I would love very own bundle of lag... it would be awsome at arkfalls... oh wait.. nope the game has some issues that would only get worse if they added pets... maybe after some fixes and issues are taken care of... maybe

zzzornbringer
05-25-2013, 08:55 AM
yes, i would like to have a pet. either just aesthetical or with actual combat capabilities.

Omnifarious Xji
05-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Lol, people responding to a post from nearly a year ago.

Chemikz
05-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Pet's can be made in the ark salvage menu. You combine collected materials and hope for the best. They are equipped in the grenade slot, replacing your grenade. An example is the Skitterling pet. You send out a Skitterling that leaps onto the targets face, blinding them for 3 seconds.

Another is the hound. You send out the hound that charges the opponent, tackling them to the ground.

Then there is the Nanite. It sends out an electrical pulse that stuns one target before detonating.

Stuff like this would be cool.

dude26212
05-25-2013, 10:24 AM
i personally would love a dude who follows me around with a giant backpack and two halves of a coconut

Athanos
05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
I will quit this game if they intro pets. Depending on the circumstances.