PDA

View Full Version : what fun is there to be had?

sly wolf
11-24-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm not doing this post as a "I hate Trion" I just don't know if I'm missing something,Back in April this game was fun then with all the bugs I stopped playing I bought it 2nd hand for 5 about 2months ago and i have played it twice each time about 10mins and to be honest even if the game ran perfectly with no bugs I don't see where the fun is.There is only a handful of tings to do and all get boring after a couple of goes.I play GTA v now I'm not comparing companies or games but we just got the 1st dlc with 2 new weapons 3 new cars,1 boat,new clothes and tattoo's and 30 new jobs and it was all free and they brought it out give or take a few days when they said they would.That sort of content on defiance would never be free but atleast it would brighten the game up so as I say am I missing something if so please let me know cos I do like the defiance world.

Warden
11-24-2013, 01:22 AM
honestly you just need the mindset away from gta 5. that is how you will feel your enjoyment again lol

Sanguinesun
11-24-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm not doing this post as a "I hate Trion" I just don't know if I'm missing something,Back in April this game was fun then with all the bugs I stopped playing I bought it 2nd hand for 5 about 2months ago and i have played it twice each time about 10mins and to be honest even if the game ran perfectly with no bugs I don't see where the fun is.There is only a handful of tings to do and all get boring after a couple of goes.I play GTA v now I'm not comparing companies or games but we just got the 1st dlc with 2 new weapons 3 new cars,1 boat,new clothes and tattoo's and 30 new jobs and it was all free and they brought it out give or take a few days when they said they would.That sort of content on defiance would never be free but atleast it would brighten the game up so as I say am I missing something if so please let me know cos I do like the defiance world.

I think the evidence is compelling that what is hoped to change/be different will never come to fruition. Unlike warden's erroneous assertion that it is because of a "gta5 mindset", your frustrations are born of pretty much already realizing that there really isnt much hope for a significant turn around.

sly wolf
11-24-2013, 01:33 AM
@Sang Thats my point in a nutshell you see even if defiance worked perfectly there's no new or interesting content and I don't understand how so many people are still playing it thats why I have asked because I thought I may be missing a really fun element to the game

Sanguinesun
11-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Thats my point in a nutshell you see even if defiance worked perfectly there's no new or interesting content and I don't understand how so many people are still playing it thats why I have asked because I thought I may be missing a really fun element to the game

What you're seeing is actually their revolving door marketing. The game has been in a graph of decline that gains at marketing intervals that then fade down into a further drop on the graph.

This is exemplified in the steam stats for Defiance for example:

http://steamcharts.com/app/224600#1y

Pretty much the spikes correspond to launch and price drops of the game. After that, it just spirals down when people realize how the game is lacking and stop. Then it jumps again for the next marketing ploy.

sly wolf
11-24-2013, 01:59 AM
that chart was very interesting and totally supports the points being made thank you sanguinesun

Egonieser
11-24-2013, 03:48 AM
You do know that steam is only a fraction of the playerbase.
Game is not bound to steam and many people don't use it.

PS3/Xbox is also not a part of it, so you can't really make any viable statistics based on that alone...
Just sayin'..

Sanguinesun
11-24-2013, 03:58 AM
You do know that steam is only a fraction of the playerbase.
Game is not bound to steam and many people don't use it.

PS3/Xbox is also not a part of it, so you can't really make any viable statistics based on that alone...
Just sayin'..

The trend holds true and is reflected as well in the forums here, if you know how to see it. All platforms of the game have experienced the afore mentioned decline. Steam just more readily makes it transparent.

VKX
11-24-2013, 04:10 AM
The trend holds true and is reflected as well in the forums here, if you know how to see it. All platforms of the game have experienced the steady decline. Steam just more readily makes it transparent.

Just like every other online game...

I think the game has seen some fundamental errors hurt it's potential. I also observe a community that's been put into a bit of a downward spiral looking for things to be negative about, but I don't see any of those flaws stopping anyone in the first twenty minutes.

At the end of the day this is not an RPG. It's not going to hold you with an amazing story that you read in dialog or make you chase fantastic cut scenes. It's not going to give you epic puzzles or make massive real time changes based on what your group does. It's being sold as an MMO action game. Personally I can play multiple third person shooters and not get burned out on the platform. The act of protecting my allies, using cover and abilities, and shooting for critical hits is FUN and I'm glad the game is here even if it has it's flaws. If running around, jumping, rolling, using abilities and shooting stuff doesn't compel you to move forward, it's just not your game and you should move on and find something you do like.

Not to troll you, just saying... square peg, round hole you know?

Sanguinesun
11-24-2013, 04:33 AM

I think the game has seen some fundamental errors hurt it's potential. I also observe a community that's been put into a bit of a downward spiral looking for things to be negative about, but I don't see any of those flaws stopping anyone in the first twenty minutes.

At the end of the day this is not an RPG. It's not going to hold you with an amazing story that you read in dialog or make you chase fantastic cut scenes. It's not going to give you epic puzzles or make massive real time changes based on what your group does. It's being sold as an MMO action game. Personally I can play multiple third person shooters and not get burned out on the platform. The act of protecting my allies, using cover and abilities, and shooting for critical hits is FUN and I'm glad the game is here even if it has it's flaws. If running around, jumping, rolling, using abilities and shooting stuff doesn't compel you to move forward, it's just not your game and you should move on and find something you do like.

Except that the "rpg" contention wasnt apart of the reasons being spoken until you interjected it. Its a persistent world, third person shooter and the issues that plague it since before launch and then many more there after are what have groomed the decline and not a misdirection of it being attributed to rpg erroneous reasoning.

Bonehead
11-24-2013, 06:23 AM

+1 Good Sir,
Classic bell curve applies here.
Some will really love the game , some will really hate the game, most will play for a while and when they get board, move on.

sly wolf
11-24-2013, 08:26 AM
As i said im not slaging defiance off it just does't have any content as far as i can see and it feels very dull and boring and as i said bugs aside even if the game worked perfectly there is nothing to do or see.The world is terribliy small and has nothing filling it,So my question remains what is keeping people playing? because im hoping its something i have missed and will help me enjoy playing again.

Elastik Spastik
11-24-2013, 08:48 AM
As much as your right and our suggestions to make a better game with bigger map and community go unheard I still do find fun in this game. I dont play it till my eyes bleed anymore. But just a couple hours on most nights kill some stuff do this get that. I would play like I used to but inbetween sieges/af/contracts there is absolutely nothing to do. And I'm stood around waiting and waiting while being ignored because nobody wants to use the crappy chat.

Bonehead
11-24-2013, 08:53 AM
As i said im not slaging defiance off it just does't have any content as far as i can see and it feels very dull and boring and as i said bugs aside even if the game worked perfectly there is nothing to do or see.The world is terribliy small and has nothing filling it,So my question remains what is keeping people playing? because im hoping its something i have missed and will help me enjoy playing again.

No mystery here.
Some people watch certain movies over and over again.
Some only ever watch a movie once.
You havent missed anything at all, you are just done.

sly wolf
11-24-2013, 10:32 AM
@bonehead: I think your right which is a shame as i liked both the game and the series but both lack that little something extra that stands them above the crowd.Also my question is answered im not missing out on anything but i will keep my copy of defiance and have alook every now and then just in case something changes.