PDA

View Full Version : Game crash on release So should the show!

IvanHoe
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
So since MMO's have been going strong for the past 10 years and the problem with server crash on release should have been managed by now. I mean its an industry issue not a game issue, it happened with WoW, Eve, Rift and those are just the games I played. Now with having Defiance and the game it represents (being able to effect the show and all) I think the show should reflect the games release and cut to the old "no signal" screen 10 min into the premier. I think it should obviously be a managed time that reflects the game release time... obviously not the same amount of time (since game release issues tend to take days) But I would like to see an acknowledgment as a gamer and someone who will watch the show. Make the show force this issue of game release server crashes. If you sell 1 million pre sold copies... expect half that to log in within the first hour. We are gamer's and you brought us a cool new toy to play with, you take your time unwrapping it and getting us all hyped up... then you take it away 10 min after we get it. We thought you were trying to do something different, not just the same ol' shtako in a new package.

Still excited about playing the game but this is a letdown to the kid inside that was all glittery eyed waiting for servers to go live. Isn't that what Syfy and video games is all about, the sense of wonder and adventure. So it would be nice to get recognition for the games difficult release in the show. I understand not editing the show for this purpose... but how about someone eat the cost of buying out the first commercial block to give us the "stand by" screen... experiencing technical difficulties.

Zeiban
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
As a software developer I'm pretty sure the servers are crashing because of issues with the game server software not being bug free. Software never is and never will be bug free. I'm sure the hardware the servers are running is fine. Not that hardware issues won't exist but that's usually not the case. Now there could be OS issues mixed in there but that's also a software issue but not one that the developer has as much control over.

ironhands
04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
The servers crashed? Last I checked they were being rebooted and patched to deal with lag issues, now.

WaGzy
04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Did they say how long they will be patching for?

Fiancee
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
It was on chat, they reboot.

ironhands
04-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Did they say how long they will be patching for?

15-20 mins