PDA

View Full Version : New race when?

zazonion
12-02-2013, 06:15 PM
So when do you think we're getting a new race? I really want to play as an indogene, and I'm getting bored of being a casti.

Deunan
12-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Given that there are zero benefits or drawbacks for selecting any character race, there's not a lot to motivate me to want more races to choose from, especially since everyone sees my avatar as a generic human male in the survivalist outfit most of the time. If it means devs are going to actually prioritize things that need fixing in the game over implementing largely pointless changes in game mechanics such as how grenades work in the game, I'm okay with not having any additional character race choices added to the game indefinitely.

Sanguinesun
12-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Given the trend of things, I'd say it is best to not place any expectations on such for now. It isnt like they have 150 devs working on the project anymore to be able to devote the time and effort for such.

Beck
12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
So when do you think we're getting a new race? I really want to play as an indogene, and I'm getting bored of being a casti.

You are not likely to ever play an Indogene. In Lore they are very rare as it is with many of them still up in the Colonizer ships that make up the Ark Belt. They are also scientists. It wouldn't make sense to have a warrior race, at best they would be healers if there was a class structure at all, which there isn't.

As for the other two possible races Liberata and Sensoth, it's been stated multiple times there would be balance issues due to their size vs the other races.

zazonion
12-03-2013, 05:43 PM
You are not likely to ever play an Indogene. In Lore they are very rare as it is with many of them still up in the Colonizer ships that make up the Ark Belt. They are also scientists. It wouldn't make sense to have a warrior race, at best they would be healers if there was a class structure at all, which there isn't.

As for the other two possible races Liberata and Sensoth, it's been stated multiple times there would be balance issues due to their size vs the other races.
You have a point. I don't really see balance problems though with Sensoths and Liberatas. Neverwinter can pull of combat fine with races of different size I don't see why this one wouldn't be able to.
Aren't the only things in the arkbelt destroyed arks? If that's the case that would mean most of the indogenes are dead.

hardy83
12-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Sensoth would be the most realistic race to come in next. They would be able to make them the same height and frame as the current races if they use the model of Torc.

Indogene would also make sense body type wise, but it conflicts with lore.

Liberata would be hard as they are smaller, thus it would complicate PvP.

I suppose there could be a mutant race or something.

Maixx
12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
As stated back before they released what race they were going to put into DLC1 that Sensoth, Liberata, Volge and Gulanee were not going to be player races because they would not fit in the generic character model. The game engines only supports the 1 base model that can be skinned into what ever race and sex would fit it.

Sensoth and Volge are way to big, while Liberata are too small.
Gulanee are too technical (suits) and rare in the story line.

DanteYoda
12-03-2013, 06:33 PM
As stated back before they released what race they were going to put into DLC1 that Sensoth, Liberata, Volge and Gulanee were not going to be player races because they would not fit in the generic character model. The game engines only supports the 1 base model that can be skinned into what ever race and sex would fit it.

Sensoth and Volge are way to big, while Liberata are too small.
Gulanee are too technical (suits) and rare in the story line.

What about Rogue Dark Matter, Mutants or 99'ers that have regained there IQ etc. Even a humanoid scrapper would be awesome.

Maixx
12-03-2013, 07:13 PM
What about Rogue Dark Matter, Mutants or 99'ers that have regained there IQ etc. Even a humanoid scrapper would be awesome.

Darkmatter: already in game with Casti, Darkmatter being an elite Casti military unit.
Mutant and 99er: most types could fit the character model
Scrapper: no known type that would fit, but being robotic one could be created.

Holy Bahamut3
12-03-2013, 07:20 PM

I don't think it would be too hard to get them into the game. They could A: say there is an Indogene Doctor cloning Indogenes, or B: say there is an undamaged ship in orbit with a couple hundred or so Indogenes on board and they reproduce quickly, or C: say that they stored their genealogical records and have them cloned by nanites...

Deunan
12-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't think it would be too hard to get them into the game. They could A: say there is an Indogene Doctor cloning Indogenes, or B: say there is an undamaged ship in orbit with a couple hundred or so Indogenes on board and they reproduce quickly, or C: say that they stored their genealogical records and have them cloned by nanites...They can't say anything of the sort. Any change in the lore of the game impacts on the lore and plot line of the show. There not going to do anything that requires the writers for the show to have to adopt/acknowledge it in the story line. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

Bakku
12-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I really don't think Indogenes would be that crazy of an idea.

They make most Votan technology, weapons included, so why would they be so against using said weapons?

Why build weapons at all if they just intend to hand them off to the Castithans and Irathients?

Yes. Many of the Indogenes perished on the arks (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Indogene) making them the least common Votan race on earth, but surely there's a new generation of Indogenes, likely less educated than the more brilliant scientific minds who initially arrived here. Why wouldn't they take up arms and do what needs to be done? It would also be amazing if getting Indogenes came hand in hand with answers about this "Several years later Indogene scientists discovered a crashed Ark near the ruins of Edmonton and set up an energy barrier around it, in order to make a study of it in private." (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Indogene).

And then there's Sensoths... Which I really really really really really want. Like people said, Torc Mok is there, and it's established lore that Sensoths DO come in different shapes and sizes, all we really need to make them playable is new faces and hairstyles...

...Except there are outfits that show skin, so the whole body would need new skins.

...And I just realized how horrifying it would be to see a female sensoth wearing these:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7826/irafempreorder.jpg

Or an indogene for that matter... Okay, I guess we can all agree that some races/genders shouldn't wear some outfits, but there's definitely enough outfits that work for each race, and I'd assume each race would come with four more starter race-themed outfits.

Holy Bahamut3
12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
They can't say anything of the sort. Any change in the lore of the game impacts on the lore and plot line of the show. There not going to do anything that requires the writers for the show to have to adopt/acknowledge it in the story line. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

My point is they won't need to change the lore, just create story around it. You know their writing team likes plot twists. Probably be a show-game crossover in a future season. It would not surprise me...

Holy Bahamut3
12-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I really don't think Indogenes would be that crazy of an idea.

They make most Votan technology, weapons included, so why would they be so against using said weapons?

Why build weapons at all if they just intend to hand them off to the Castithans and Irathients?

Yes. Many of the Indogenes perished on the arks (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Indogene) making them the least common Votan race on earth, but surely there's a new generation of Indogenes, likely less educated than the more brilliant scientific minds who initially arrived here. Why wouldn't they take up arms and do what needs to be done? It would also be amazing if getting Indogenes came hand in hand with answers about this "Several years later Indogene scientists discovered a crashed Ark near the ruins of Edmonton and set up an energy barrier around it, in order to make a study of it in private." (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Indogene).

And then there's Sensoths... Which I really really really really really want. Like people said, Torc Mok is there, and it's established lore that Sensoths DO come in different shapes and sizes, all we really need to make them playable is new faces and hairstyles...

...Except there are outfits that show skin, so the whole body would need new skins.

...And I just realized how horrifying it would be to see a female sensoth wearing these:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7826/irafempreorder.jpg

Or an indogene for that matter... Okay, I guess we can all agree that some races/genders shouldn't wear some outfits, but there's definitely enough outfits that work for each race, and I'd assume each race would come with four more starter race-themed outfits.

Dare I say it... halfbreeds....

Bakku
12-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Adding lore isn't necessarily changing it. There's plenty about 2046 that we still don't know.

Holy Bahamut3
12-03-2013, 08:57 PM
C: say that they stored their genealogical records and have them cloned by nanites...

I mean just look at Sukar from the first season. Nanites are powerful and all they would need is reprogramming...

Arsenic_Touch
12-03-2013, 10:42 PM
They can't say anything of the sort. Any change in the lore of the game impacts on the lore and plot line of the show. There not going to do anything that requires the writers for the show to have to adopt/acknowledge it in the story line. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

Look at the sieges with the number of volge and infected. Look at them bringing back the infected. (they even admitted that the amount of infected was lore breaking) so that argument really doesn't hold any water anymore.

justifiable187
12-04-2013, 06:17 AM

And yet, they already have.
Hundreds of Castithans show up in the bay area - no mention on the show.
An entire Castithan Liro - the Thorn Liro - dedicated to the destruction of the Liro system itself - no mention on the show.
And as far as I can recall, I don't remember any mention of EGO on the show, or see anyone go invisible, flash around at double speed, or project out a hologram of themselves.

Sometimes what happens in the bay area stays in the bay area.