PDA

View Full Version : Status of Next Generation Port?

RangerPrimeX
12-04-2013, 09:52 AM
When might we see a Xbox One or PS4 version released?

Thanks!

Midori Oku
12-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I'll tell you exactly what they are going to tell you. "We are currently focusing on the current generation." Unfortunately that's all they're going to tell you, it's what's said every time this is asked. They won't even say if they are looking into it or not. I've honestly lost all hope on seeing it on Xbox One, or PS4.

hardy83
12-04-2013, 11:08 AM
They are looking into it. They'd be lying if they said they weren't, which is why they don't say anything.

However, whether that means a port or not is obviously up in the air.

I'm personally expecting a port with some additions to the console versions that the PC got/is getting like the RAM slighter in the options and HD textures.
The question is when.

However it IS just as likely that they will skip out on PS4/One and slowly focus on just PC.

PS3 and 360 still has a massive install base. It'll be at least a year before the numbers really start to shift, possibly longer.

4 million potential customers for next-gen, or over 140 million potential customers for current gen?

Midori Oku
12-04-2013, 12:02 PM
And how healthy is the PC server in terms of players? I know PS3 has very few players, but I'm willing to bet that 360 at least rivals, or maybe even beats the PC in terms of population. To just let the Xbox 360 server die off just because of not bringing it to the Xbox One eventually would really be stupid on their part.

samuelsinn
12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
i dont know im on pc and every time i hit an arkfall im finding new faces and many more people then the last time seems pc is doing just fine. also. we dont have to worry about next gen issues :) becuse PC will allways be PC unless its a mac o.o

Midori Oku
12-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I guess it really does not matter. Unfortunately this game will most likely die off on Xbox anyway once Elder Scrolls Online, and Destiny comes out. It's really a shame.

Edit: And yet again they are more than likely not even going to acknowledge this thread. Hell, they don't even care enough about everyone's opinion on the grenade change thread to acknowledge it, regardless of what system they're on. It's obvious that they don't care about this game. I honestly thought Sega did a horrible job running the Phantasy Star MMO's (they still do), but Trion blows them out of the water with how bad things are. I did not even think that was physically possible.

So much potential, and it's going to waste very fast.

Zugo
12-04-2013, 01:11 PM
If some how Trion was to miraculously create a port for PS4/Xbox1 in the near future it would work to their benefit.

I'm seriously wondering if the reasons behind Trion's current stance has to do with hesitation from the next generation console manufacturers. If you were Sony or Microsoft would you want a game with some pretty severe flaws giving your new system a bad reputation? There would be disconnects and the average user will always blame what they have right in front of their face.

As a fan of the game I'd love to have a port for my new system, but when/if it does arrive I fear Trion will have missed the opportunity.

N3gativeCr33p
12-04-2013, 01:13 PM
If you were Sony or Microsoft would you want a game with some pretty severe flaws giving your new system a bad reputation?

Oh hellz no. No chance.

Zugo
12-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Side note,
I've been playing the Xbox1 port of Assassin's Creed Black Flag without issue. The 360/PS3/PC versions were released October 29th of this year, so why can't this game make a jump? What's the hold up?

Arsenic_Touch
12-04-2013, 01:51 PM
They aren't working on it, or at least they said they're not working on it. With that being said, a port may be possible for the ps4 with gaikai (cloud based company that will allow you to player older games on the new console) I haven't heard anything about something similar for xbox players.

The cloud software won't require any changes to the game and it might fix some of the issues plaguing the console side of things.

Shogo_Yahagi
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
They may not be ruling it out, but I honestly don't see a business model that supports a next-gen version. Nobody's going to get suckered into paying $60 or $100 for the base game now that Trion is practically giving it away, and they've severely damaged their reputation with console gamers with the ongoing stability problems on the current generation systems. They would need a heck of a lot of players at $5 a pop to cover the cost of creating and maintaining a next-gen version, and I don't believe there are enough players out there on the next generation that Trion hasn't already burned on this generation.

Trion still doesn't have this generation working to an acceptable standard on consoles. I can't imagine they're ready to start a new version on top of that. If they can't manage 3 platforms, why on earth would anyone expect that they can handle 5?

I also don't think we've seen any evidence to support the idea that there is any work going on. If Trion was gearing up for a next-gen release between now and the start of the next TV season, they probably should have started on it ages ago. I would have expected to see them hiring Defiiance developers in that scenario, not gutting their staff, closing the studio, and repeatedly dumping whoever they put in charge of the project.

Lillith Valerian
12-04-2013, 02:07 PM
If some how Trion was to miraculously create a port for PS4/Xbox1 in the near future it would work to their benefit.

I'm seriously wondering if the reasons behind Trion's current stance has to do with hesitation from the next generation console manufacturers. If you were Sony or Microsoft would you want a game with some pretty severe flaws giving your new system a bad reputation? There would be disconnects and the average user will always blame what they have right in front of their face.

As a fan of the game I'd love to have a port for my new system, but when/if it does arrive I fear Trion will have missed the opportunity.

I have to be honest. I'm almost at the point of burnout with this game.

It's a combination of not enough different things to do, too many bugs (ammo glitch, etc) and nonsensical problems (General Steve), and a company that seems to be largely tone-deaf in what they decide to develop.

I like to think I'm a reasonable, articulate individual, and I'm aware that my opinion only comes from a 'filthy dirty casual console player' point of view (;P), but as a first-time MMO experience...I've spent around $200 or so on this game, and looking back, I regret it. I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth, compared to other games I play.

It's made me unsure about trying other MMOs. I was initially excited for Elder Scrolls Online, but now I have this strange, somewhat bitter taste in my mouth whenever I think about it, or any other MMO. Will there be mindless bunny-hopping, people scrambling to high points, wildly firing off effects, and horrific sexist and homophobic morons filling up chat to completely destroy my immersion there also? I guess I'll find out.

I've noticed a population drop with GTA5, then another drop with D3, then another drop (you included, Mr. Always-on-Xbox-One) with the latest console release. I think the massive price reductions and free giveaways have slowed the hemorrhaging, but not stopped it. The 'but look at the massive existing 360 etc player base' argument is a failed one, for one reason: most of the new games coming out are also releasing backward versions as well. I don't see many people playing, much less *putting up with* this game when they can go get a 360 copy of Destiny.

A failure to port over will be a death warrant, I think. Assuming the failure to start listening to what players want doesn't kill it first.

Just personal speculation of course (and apathetic at that).

xJdKxZomBiE
12-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Some really good points made in this thread for why it "might not happen", but how about some reasons it would be for the better?

More power to process arkfalls better. Hopefully no more glitched sounds, or particle rendering getting stuck ( Darkfall monolith moonshot things not disappearing for one)

More power to hopefully spawn a crapload of enemies on the map so that you could actually go out and explore and not feel like you are the only thing breathing out there.

They could render in exploration type scenarios where you randomly come across a large group of enemies that when properly "dealt" with, there would be a tier 3 or 4 box waiting there for your troubles!

Better physics for vehicles lol Holy crap yes please.

One big thing that would be nice, is that since your character is stored on their servers, technically all you would need to do is purchase the game for next gen, or purchase it for backwards compat streaming or whatever X1 plans to do.

I mean if Ghosts, BF4, and whatever other games are on both late and next gen can transfer over character progression online, then Defiance could just as easily.

I'd buy it again if it meant bigger and better in the world of Defiance for next gen. This is definitely a game that could do with "more" positive, but I agree there are a lot of negative that needs sorted out.

So instead of focusing on trashing certain parts of the game that worked fine, like defensive perks in PvE, and whoever the **** thought that the community wanted these grenade changes, they could have been working on fixing real issues, like stability, stability, not getting server connection timeouts, stability, stability, ****ty legendary rate from t4 boxes, and stability.

/rant.

hardy83
12-04-2013, 03:11 PM
If you were Sony or Microsoft would you want a game with some pretty severe flaws giving your new system a bad reputation?

Sony, MS and Nintendo don't care how bad or broken a game is. As long as you pay the licencing fees.
There has been FAR worse games, and games that literally can't be played that have been released on their systems.
CoughAliensColonialMarinesCough!
CoughStarTrekMovieGameCough!
CoughRidetoHellRetributionCough!

They do NOT care about quality when it comes to third party games.

Zugo
12-04-2013, 03:12 PM
I've noticed a population drop with GTA5, then another drop with D3, then another drop (you included, Mr. Always-on-Xbox-One) with the latest console release. I think the massive price reductions and free giveaways have slowed the hemorrhaging, but not stopped it. The 'but look at the massive existing 360 etc player base' argument is a failed one, for one reason: most of the new games coming out are also releasing backward versions as well. I don't see many people playing, much less *putting up with* this game when they can go get a 360 copy of Destiny.

I've been living the pirate life(AC4 Blackflag) Yaaaarrg, but I saw an article today where people are plugging the 360 output cable into the HDMI input cable on the Xbox1 and playing old games through the Xbox1's dashboard originally intended for TV. I think I'll look into getting an auto-switching AV box so that I don't have to choose between the two.

Seriously? This is what I have to do in this shining technological age? Trion, COME ON MAN!

crasher
12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
i dont know im on pc and every time i hit an arkfall im finding new faces and many more people then the last time seems pc is doing just fine. also. we dont have to worry about next gen issues :) becuse PC will allways be PC unless its a mac o.o
"... finding new faces..."

Swell, but I've been playing sine April, and almost EVERY face I see is a 'new face' in that the myriads I played with for months are all gone.

One of the things you have to keep in mind is that any instance is limited to a maximum number of people participating.

They handle this by spinning up a new instance of the event and dividing the players up across the instances.

You're discussing seeing full instances, but you are assuming there are as many instances as ever, and it seems that there are fewer in actual practice. The only way you'll actually see evidence of fewer players on empty servers is when it gets to the point that the actual instance you're in has you and (for example) 3 other people in it.

You'll never see the size of the actual player population until it falls short of filling a single instance.

Deunan
12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
It's made me unsure about trying other MMOs. I was initially excited for Elder Scrolls Online, but now I have this strange, somewhat bitter taste in my mouth whenever I think about it, or any other MMO. Will there be mindless bunny-hopping, people scrambling to high points, wildly firing off effects, and horrific sexist and homophobic morons filling up chat to completely destroy my immersion there also? I guess I'll find out.I can save you the wait if that's what you're wondering about MMO's. The answer is yes. If you found this bothersome in Defiance you may find it even more bothersome in other more traditional MMORPGs because the mechanics of the content and player progression tend to give players greater griefing tools than in a game like Defiance where everyone gets their own separate loot pool, everything is easy to kill, content is easy to handle, and there's a greater premium on hand eye coordination skill. On top of that think of all you've been spared in terms of text harrassment in Defiance because chat is broken and now multiply whatever negative experiences you have had in that regard by ten. On the other hand when you have a good functional chat system in a game it also increases your ability to form positive bonds with other players which can offset the bad side of it.

Lillith Valerian
12-04-2013, 05:00 PM
I've been living the pirate life(AC4 Blackflag) Yaaaarrg!

I'm vaguely aware of the Assassin's Creed series. What I saw looked neat, but I never bothered trying them because I hate being forced to play dewds (it breaks my immersion).

My boyfriend said there was a write-up in the last Game Informer for a new AC coming out for next gen consoles that actually has a female character. Not a plot device or hebephile-appealing teen, but an actual, adult protagonist woman, who's wearing clothes even. In video games that feels like finding a unicorn.

If it's true, I can't wait to check it out (the issue got tossed before I could look at it).

Overtkill21
12-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm vaguely aware of the Assassin's Creed series. What I saw looked neat, but I never bothered trying them because I hate being forced to play dewds (it breaks my immersion).

My boyfriend said there was a write-up in the last Game Informer for a new AC coming out for next gen consoles that actually has a female character. Not a plot device or hebephile-appealing teen, but an actual, adult protagonist woman, who's wearing clothes even. In video games that feels like finding a unicorn.

If it's true, I can't wait to check it out (the issue got tossed before I could look at it).

I believe you're thinking of AC - Liberation HD (Being re-released on PS3 & PS4) - it was originally a Vita game...and if I may say so, an awful introduction to the AC series - it is a very weak entry. AC1 is a good game, AC2 is a great game as is Brotherhood, Revelations begins the stumble, Liberation continues it, AC3 completes the faceplant - then I was out.

When they drop AC4 to Defiance price I may pick it up.

DanteYoda
12-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I know i wont get a response but what is going on at trion studios, its like they really are on a different planet.. not trying to be rude but are they hoping this game will fold up and go away..

I ask this because there are so many negative people they completely out weigh the positive on the forums and in game!, and 99% of their grievances are right in my opinion which really really makes me wonder who is running this beast and do they know what they are doing in terms of making a game that works etc..

I am on the fence with Ps4 and Xbone but honestly as a PC player i'm really disheartened at what the current Gen of Consoles has done to this game - terrible GUI, Generic steves, limited distancing...it just feels gimped on PC and its because of the consoles, as i said i do not hate console players etc but i do hate what consoles do to my games..

I do not understand why everyone calls the new consoles "next-gen" they are like three year old PC's...

Deunan
12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I do not understand why everyone calls the new consoles "next-gen" they are like three year old PC's...And current consoles are like PC's from the prior century. Its just a reference to them being the next generation of console, not a catch phrase for some futuristic powerful supertech.

The PC gaming consumer market is much smaller than either the PS or Xbox consumer market so potential revenue takes priority over being able to make a better optimized game for just the PC gamer consumer market. I had serious doubts about Defiance though when I heard it was going to be a multi-platform game because MMO's are far more taxing on platform resource than single player games or single player games with co-op modes. Those doubts have played out with predictable results.

xJdKxZomBiE
12-05-2013, 01:27 AM
I know i wont get a response but what is going on at trion studios, its like they really are on a different planet.. not trying to be rude but are they hoping this game will fold up and go away..

I ask this because there are so many negative people they completely out weigh the positive on the forums and in game!, and 99% of their grievances are right in my opinion which really really makes me wonder who is running this beast and do they know what they are doing in terms of making a game that works etc..

I am on the fence with Ps4 and Xbone but honestly as a PC player i'm really disheartened at what the current Gen of Consoles has done to this game - terrible GUI, Generic steves, limited distancing...it just feels gimped on PC and its because of the consoles, as i said i do not hate console players etc but i do hate what consoles do to my games..

I do not understand why everyone calls the new consoles "next-gen" they are like three year old PC's...

Having both my my xbox that I love dearly, and my Asus Republic of Gamers laptop that I game on ( my desktop crapped so I bought this so i can play and travel , and it's upgradeable!!! )

Honestly, Defiance doesn't seem like it ever had truly high aspirations. It's a fun game if you force yourself to accept that it isn't a WoW clone, or a fast paced FPS, or twitch shooter.

The idea of a console vs a pc to me is that with a pc, it has to do so many things really, which is what warrants it's need for serious power. Browse the web, download files, manage several high use applications at once, and support a complicated OS at the same time as running a graphic intrinsic game. That warrants raw power. Lots of it. Not too mention, the ability to constantly upgrade bits and pieces. Being able to do that does not make a pc gamer a gaming higher race, or a better player, to me anyways.

Where as a console, has to do with a reliable set of hardware, that is designed to last for several years before a replacement is made. Consoles are far FAR cheaper than a gaming pc will ever be, and I dont have to worry about upgrading my nVidia card or swapping out my i5 for a i7 just to run a certain game. Games are designed to work for both, but there are some titles that shouldn't be ported, like Defiance to PC for instance. Since there are no options for higher draw distance, nor the ability to really make use of the power a pc can obtain, the game will always be held back.

Bottom line really, is this game would need a MASSIVE overhaul for next gen consoles, let alone computer. I usually loathe computer games because all someone has to do is edit their game save, or use a trainer for most things, and under normal circumstances you cant do that with a console, but what console misses out on, is user created mods, and content that can greatly extend the life of the game, and drastically improve the quality of the game.

My opinion? They should honestly scrap this game, and do a complete redesign to re-release on next gen consoles, which may be 3 years behind the "master race" but they are a decade newer tech than what the old ones use.

If only.

If only one could upgrade the parts of their consoles without violating ToS. Could you imagine it? Having an xbox or playstation with a i7 or AMD A8, with nVidia Geforce GTX 660M or better? Upgradeable RAM? I'd pay extra for a membership to be able to upgrade my console and not worry about it either just not working, or getting banned because MS thinks its J-Tagged.

N3gativeCr33p
12-05-2013, 08:06 AM
When they drop AC4 to Defiance price I may pick it up.

Exactly the reason why I'm asking for it as a birthday/Christmas gift this year... AC3 marked the last time I will ever pay full price for an Assassin's Creed game.

Love me some pirates! Yarrrrrrr! LOL

Shogo_Yahagi
12-05-2013, 08:39 AM
If they came out with a Benjamin Franklin skin for AC3, I would buy the hell out of that game. Playing as Benjamin Franklin, Ninja Assassin would be hilarious.

N3gativeCr33p
12-05-2013, 12:59 PM
If they came out with a Benjamin Franklin skin for AC3, I would buy the hell out of that game. Playing as Benjamin Franklin, Ninja Assassin would be hilarious.

That really would be pretty cool. Until I first played AC3, I would've never guessed ole Ben was such a ladies man. ;)

Honestly, I can't wait to finally complete the AC3 storyline (and all of its DLC), just so I can get into AC4 on December 25th!

Atticus Batman
12-05-2013, 03:26 PM
That really would be pretty cool. Until I first played AC3, I would've never guessed ole Ben was such a ladies man. ;)

Honestly, I can't wait to finally complete the AC3 storyline (and all of its DLC), just so I can get into AC4 on December 25th!

You need to find better history books. Then you would know what a cheuvanist pig franklin was, and that MR. Thomas (people should ALL have the same rights) Jefferson was a huge slave owner.

samuelsinn
12-05-2013, 05:37 PM
oh fun we get to play the PC is better then consol game.

so PC user. and player STRICTLY for all MMO type games.

when it comes to bought mmos a larger magority of them come out for PC then thay do for consol.

when i hurd about defiance being a cross over consol game i was strongly disapointed due to the fact that becuse it is on consols that each of the consols is there own stand alone servers away from the PC servers

there will never real be cross server play and as for the lac of players or drop off of players or disappearince of players on PC vs consoles there is still the issue that even if thay lose consols with the price that this game is on steam you can buy it for a cheep what is it now ? some one give me the price i beleave its 5 dollers ? were as to revamp the game in full would be a waist of time to put it on the next gens when thay can just make this game a FTP like rift and cut out ALL consol players all together.

. do not the Xbox 1 players still need to pay for there online accounts each mouinth or each 2 mounths ? its been to long for me to recall if the Xbox comepany EVER changed that. or not. vs the PS3 where you could access the net for free though there consols as long as you owned a consol.

now look at the PC yes some of the HIGHER end gameing PCs cost thousends of dollers to maintain and to keep working and up to date by haveing to upgrade your ram or memory or your video card or other such stuff. but not all people that are playing games like defiance or cod or any of the other games that you can multi play on on pc are ON said pcs . there useing ganaric HPs from wallmart that cost them around 300$s to buy

as for rendering disdince and such. yes the game is lacking in the options department. one thing that almost all other games alow the player to tweek and use and change as thay play. look at skyrim and fallout and other such games where the options and rendering disdince was a must. well the game goes for defiance and i agree that needs to be change.

this option is not in there not becuse of pc or consols being better . its not there becuse it was never added.

anyway. the likely hood of this game dieing within the next year is simi low. in 2014 thay are releaseing season 2 of the TV show witch is going to draw back a large sum of players that have eather left or lost there game witch is going to lead to the consols players that have put the game down for now to come back and the pc gamers that have walked away to redownload. witch will bring back a larger player base and with the DLCs that might and are comeing out between now and then also comeing out there is a high chance that a large nomber of old players that are not here now. and new players spending money on all of the DLCS

in order to get the perks and addons that each of them will be giveing.

over all if thay make a next gen version of this game. it might just become a backwords conpadabull version. with the same servers and the same players as befor. that runs a little smoother then it does now

now . ill shut up and let someone go one where i leave off.

Zugo
12-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Well I have a bastardized Siamese monstrosity working now with the 360, and DirectTV box plugged into my Surround Sound receiver, which is then plugged into the HDMI input on my Xbox1 which then feeds to the TV.

I've managed to hide most of the cables so the wife doesn't get pissed, but what the jeck? The population of people ingame last night was drastically reduced from what I remember two weeks ago. Is that it then? Jump back on my Pirate ship and sail off into the big blue?

N3gativeCr33p
12-06-2013, 08:01 AM
You need to find better history books. Then you would know what a cheuvanist pig franklin was, and that MR. Thomas (people should ALL have the same rights) Jefferson was a huge slave owner.

Yeah... because history books out there just go into such detail about Franklin's extensive knowledge of a woman's ability to conceive a child. :rolleyes:

I think you just need a better book of comebacks, Mr. Wayne. ;)

Escyos
12-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I still don't understand how people assume that better graphics means a better game. 99% of the games on newer consoles have the worst story imaginable.

Atticus Batman
12-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah... because history books out there just go into such detail about Franklin's extensive knowledge of a woman's ability to conceive a child. :rolleyes:

I think you just need a better book of comebacks, Mr. Wayne. ;)

Let us start your better learning with this link Creepo! :)

http://listverse.com/2009/05/26/10-scandalous-or-obscure-facts-about-historical-figures/

Lillith Valerian
12-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Well I have a bastardized Siamese monstrosity working now with the 360, and DirectTV box plugged into my Surround Sound receiver, which is then plugged into the HDMI input on my Xbox1 which then feeds to the TV.

I've managed to hide most of the cables so the wife doesn't get pissed, but what the jeck? The population of people ingame last night was drastically reduced from what I remember two weeks ago. Is that it then? Jump back on my Pirate ship and sail off into the big blue?

Reliable stalwart Bentu was the only one I'd see regularly, so between the apparent exodus and personal burnout I fell back into the New Vegas desert, with an immoral character concept. I typically can't stand playing villains, but I only put about 500 hours into it back in the day, and have nothing else I want to play at the moment.

BTW: Cold-blooded murder will net you a sweet DR8 'Explorer Outfit' and the 'La Longue Carabine'. Both of which are the absolute cat's ***!

(*A cat's *** is the furriest portion of the kitten, and therefor a good thing.)

N3gativeCr33p
12-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Let us start your better learning with this link Creepo! :)

http://listverse.com/2009/05/26/10-scandalous-or-obscure-facts-about-historical-figures/

So you post a link that includes no information on the womanizer Ben Franklin? Fail. ;)

... I fell back into the New Vegas desert...

I love me some Fallout: New Vegas... don't care how bug ridden it is.

Angeleus09
12-07-2013, 12:48 PM
We won't hear anything until next year around the launch of/during Season 2 would be my guess. It would be the kind of announcement that would be perfect for E3 which would happen just after the game hits the one year mark and just before Season 2 starts.

They want to get out the first 5 DLC packs before they mention to an already irate community that they're working on a next-gen port. As much as people would like to hear a "Yes, we're planning on it," it would be bad business to say, "Hey we know we don't really look like we're on track to give you what we already promised you for this generation but don't worry, we're hard at work on the next-gen version!"

Some things to bear in mind though:

Defiance the game has a 5 year contract to remain operational if I remember correctly. A year from now it will still only be in the middle of its second year, but the next-gen install base will be much larger. It would make no sense for a game whose primary way of making money is from in-game purchases to limit their potential player base by not making the move to next-gen.
Games like DCUO and FF XIV have already set the precedent for giving people who own the game on the current gen a free download of the next-gen version so it would be highly unlikely Trion would make existing players re-purchase the game to continue playing it. That behavior doesn't fit with the in-game cash shop revenue model.
Current stability and performance issues on console are almost exclusively the fault of barely adequate hardware. The RAM and x86 chipsets in both the PS4 and XB1 should allow for a port that is much closer in code to the PC version and runs much more smoothly.

Of course it's all a guess and I'm nobody to speak of, but if I were running the show that is exactly how I'd be approaching this issue.

Lillith Valerian
12-07-2013, 06:31 PM
We won't hear anything until next year around the launch of/during Season 2 would be my guess. It would be the kind of announcement that would be perfect for E3 which would happen just after the game hits the one year mark and just before Season 2 starts.

They want to get out the first 5 DLC packs before they mention to an already irate community that they're working on a next-gen port. As much as people would like to hear a "Yes, we're planning on it," it would be bad business to say, "Hey we know we don't really look like we're on track to give you what we already promised you for this generation but don't worry, we're hard at work on the next-gen version!"

Defiance the game has a 5 year contract to remain operational if I remember correctly. A year from now it will still only be in the middle of its second year, but the next-gen install base will be much larger. It would make no sense for a game whose primary way of making money is from in-game purchases to limit their potential player base by not making the move to next-gen.
Games like DCUO and FF XIV have already set the precedent for giving people who own the game on the current gen a free download of the next-gen version so it would be highly unlikely Trion would make existing players re-purchase the game to continue playing it. That behavior doesn't fit with the in-game cash shop revenue model.
Current stability and performance issues on console are almost exclusively the fault of barely adequate hardware. The RAM and x86 chipsets in both the PS4 and XB1 should allow for a port that is much closer in code to the PC version and runs much more smoothly.

Of course it's all a guess and I'm nobody to speak of, but if I were running the show that is exactly how I'd be approaching this issue.

I want all of this to be true.

Please let all of this be true.

Remag Div
12-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Having a next-gen port ready for around the time Season 2 premiers would be awesome.

The only thing is, everyone's first impressions of this game were rather lackluster for the most part, so a next-gen port wouldn't really bring back many people just for some prettier graphics.

What Trion should do is hopefully by then all 5 DLC should be released and they package all the DLC for the next-gen games, like what games do for their GOTY versions. Having all that new content for a single price would entice many more people to check it out, especially with Season 2 on air.

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 09:11 PM

The second point is more interesting and pertinent now that the game is free to play and with the new cash shop items.
I think that porting to next gen might be just a bit more than is within the reach of the team at this point.
Does anybody know if there would be compatibility issues with such an old game engine?

Angeleus09
12-19-2013, 09:48 PM
The second point is more interesting and pertinent now that the game is free to play and with the new cash shop items.
I think that porting to next gen might be just a bit more than is within the reach of the team at this point.
Does anybody know if there would be compatibility issues with such an old game engine?

I'm not a programmer but from what I understand a next gen port would essentially be the PC version. The chipsets in both next gen consoles are very, very close to what your standard PC would be using. I also take into account examples like the PS4 version of Planetside 2 which when asked about the port is described by the devs as "the PC version running on high settings."

That being said, if they wanted to update the engine they could, but I really don't see how that would be necessary at all.

Remag Div
12-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Yeah, it would basically be the PC version maxed out, 1920x1080, 60 FPS for Xbone and PS4 which would be a HUGE improvement over the 360 and PS3.

Zugo
12-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Would be great to finally migrate my 360 to the Retro Room.

I'm getting a Sega Saturn and Playstation1 today, also getting Robbie the Robot for my NES.

N3gativeCr33p
12-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm getting a Sega Saturn and Playstation1 today, also getting Robbie the Robot for my NES.

You bastich... color me jealous. ;)