PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the unlimited free trial of Defiance?

Beck
12-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Is Defiance Free to play? Might as well be as Massively announced (http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/19/defiance-now-offers-unlimited-free-trial/) Trion has introduced an unlimited free trial.

With only a EGO hard cap of 500 there will be no other limitations to playing Defiance. Though I will venture one can not purchase any of the DLC's with out owning the game as well, though I will let someone else test that theory out.

In their announcement on Massively, all of two sentences, they spend the majority of the article talking about a recent Dev blog.

This story will also be covered in Next Weeks in the News Segment on K-TAM Radio which is updated every week. Tune in to hear more. I am sure this will also be a conversation for our Epic Sunday show as well.

Graefton
12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Smacks of desperation. Wonder if Trion's noticed those login numbers dropping and they're trying to recruit new blood to the game.

SSlarg
12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
you could BUY the full game last week on PSplus for 2.50 yeah two dollars and fifty cents.

no point in a free trial it's almost Free now (sale ended but it's still 5 bucks for digital)

crash test dummie
12-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Currently $5 on Steam.

Tesseract
12-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Currently $5 on Steam.

Sad that it has come to this, but I gotta say it's the result of never having a game that is not broken. People will spend money on hope but they quickly take their time elsewhere. It is a good story, interesting world, coulda been a contender.

hey u
12-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm sad. I feel bad for all the people who will play and now compared to when Defiance came out I would say there now is enough content to be worth the money I spent on it $59.99 plus tax but like I said I feel bad for all the people who will quit because of server disconnects and not buy the game and DLC.

Shogo_Yahagi
12-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Trion also announced it on the community blog. If you want more info, that's probably the place to look rather than the Massively repost.

GridSufer
12-19-2013, 02:57 PM
There should be more than just an EGO cap...

Otherwise, if it helps them to convince people to buy, it's a good move, if not we're moving closer and closer to a Tebula Rasa (Richard Garriot)

Littleweasel
12-19-2013, 03:04 PM
ego rating really doesn't mean anything since a ego rated person of 500 will have basically the same weapons as an ego rated person of 5000 only difference is the number since you do not really improve you stats anyways

Remag Div
12-19-2013, 03:08 PM
It doesn't matter to Trion, because 99% of their income from this game comes from the cash shop anyway. The more people playing the better.

Hopefully we'll see a spike in the population once Season 2 of the show premiers.

GridSufer
12-19-2013, 03:11 PM
ego rating really doesn't mean anything since a ego rated person of 500 will have basically the same weapons as an ego rated person of 5000 only difference is the number since you do not really improve you stats anyways

Exactly.
And with weapons such as Surge Bolters that number makes very small influence...

Remag Div
12-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Also, even though leveling doesn't matter as much in this game compared to other MMO's, no one likes to be capped for anything. If someone hits 500 EGO and is enjoying the game, they are most likely going to purchase it.

Tesseract
12-19-2013, 03:19 PM
If someone hits 500 EGO and is enjoying the game, they are most likely going to purchase it.

Yeah, I mean, it's 5 bucks now. Some cups of coffee cost more.

Arsenic_Touch
12-19-2013, 03:37 PM
HAHAH. Why am I not surprised?

Did you see how they're playing up defiance on that free page?

http://www.defiance.com/en/my-ego/profile/pc-free-trial/

"Limitless gameplay"
"Revolutionary warfare"
"Modifying your appearance to be a unique citizen of the defiance world"

An Evolving Online World
Fight for survival in a constantly evolving environment with regular content updates and dynamic events. Play solo, or join tens of thousands of simultaneous live players in a futuristic San Francisco Bay Area thatís a fully-realized open world. Youíve never imagined a 3rd-person shooter this huge.

....HAHAHA

The Game Never Ends

Experience dynamic missions, massive co-op battles, and endless exploration across a gigantic game environment. Plus, brought to you by Syfy, the Defiance TV series is a revolutionary weekly drama that impacts the game, and gives you the chance to change the show.

Oh dear, they really are trying to play it up, aren't they?

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Think about it Touch, it evolves in unexpected and unpredictable ways every time they try to patch or fix something.
What an adventure!

EDIT;

BTW how is that not free to play?

crasher
12-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Think about it Touch, it evolves in unexpected and unpredictable ways every time they try to patch or fix something.
What an adventure!

"Fight for survival...."
Means: The weapons don't work the way you expect.
Or: They disappear from inventory.

"... massive co-op battles,..."
Means: Us against The Devs.

Atticus Batman
12-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Also, even though leveling doesn't matter as much in this game compared to other MMO's, no one likes to be capped for anything. If someone hits 500 EGO and is enjoying the game, they are most likely going to purchase it.

Not only that but all Mmos do that. Last time I checked, WoW's free trial was an unlimited playtime with a level cap of 20 and you couldn't do any of the expansion stuff. Same as with D and D online. So why is it a surprise that Defiance is doing it?

Remag Div
12-19-2013, 03:46 PM
HAHAH. Why am I not surprised?

Did you see how they're playing up defiance on that free page?

The "gigantic game environment" irks me.

This is without question the smallest MMO game world ever.

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 03:50 PM
The "gigantic game environment" irks me.

This is without question the smallest MMO game world ever.

Ever??????

GridSufer
12-19-2013, 03:52 PM
"Fight for survival...."
Means the weapons don't work the way you expect.
Or they disappear from inventory.

"... massive co-op battles,..."
Means us against The Devs.

Fight for survival: PS Players is fight for connection.
X-box is a fight with to patch it (once)
PC is a fight to get a full team on WM, survival is a massive part if the game!

100%agreed on the co-OP :D

Remag Div
12-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Ever??????

Which one is smaller? I can't think of any.

I pray the next DLC gives us a bigger map.

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 03:56 PM

I was just being a smartass.

Deunan
12-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Haven't they done this limted free trial before? I could have sworn I ran into a group of players that told me they were playing on an identical free trial a few months ago.

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 04:18 PM
What I think is they just went free to play. I don't care too much, the handwriting was on the wall imo. Lets watch the cash shop for a month or so and see what other stuffs will be introduced for quick sale at 6 bucks a pop shall we?

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Haven't they done this limted free trial before? I could have sworn I ran into a group of players that told me they were playing on an identical free trial a few months ago.

Those were free trial weekends I think.

crasher
12-19-2013, 04:21 PM
What I think is they just went free to play. I don't care too much, the handwriting was on the wall imo. Lets watch the cash shop for a month or so and see what other stuffs will be introduced for quick sale at 6 bucks a pop shall we?
Not much of a 'Mighty Roar', eh?

More like a 'wet thud'.

You think that maybe they're embarrassed by it, the way they're just kinda ooozing it in there like that.

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Not much of a 'Mighty Roar', eh?

More like a 'wet thud'.

You think that maybe they're embarrassed by it, the way they're just kinda ooozing it in there like that.

I really don't think so. It's not personal it's business. I think the game kind of turned into the "free decoder ring" for the show.
They have to follow the money.

Littleweasel
12-19-2013, 05:11 PM

if they do increase the map size i just hope that people that do not buy the dlc can not access the new areas until they buy the dlc

Kleptobrainiac
12-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey guys. Just stopped back in to see how the F2P announcement is treating the player base.

For those of you who stuck around & are somehow still enjoying this turd, I wish you luck.

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey guys. Just stopped back in to see how the F2P announcement is treating the player base.

For those of you who stuck around & are somehow still enjoying this turd, I wish you luck.

That would be me...
thanks I guess.

crasher
12-19-2013, 06:45 PM
I really don't think so. It's not personal it's business. I think the game kind of turned into the "free decoder ring" for the show.
They have to follow the money.
You can shear a sheep it's whole life.
You can only skin it once.

DanteYoda
12-19-2013, 06:47 PM

I don't see this game as a Turd at all, quite fun actually, a bit repetitive but in a good way.

I feel if this adds to the population good for them i guess.

Bonehead
12-19-2013, 06:59 PM
You can shear a sheep it's whole life.
You can only skin it once.

I like that quote. I think the sheep they are looking for are the free players who will spend money in the game store and the ones who will end up buying the game. There will be both kinds. This won't kill the game at all I don't think. Rift seems to be doing well as a free to play game. Maybe free to play would be a good thing for defiance as well.
I don't know either way.

Beck
12-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Some interesting comments, this will be a topic for our Sunday Show along with War Master on Farm on the PS3 already.

KylieDog
12-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Got to do something to lessen the bleeding until they can fart of all 5 DLCs and then let the game die. Season 2 ain't saving it.

Mike Chone
12-20-2013, 12:03 PM
I don't get it. The game is already almost free, I paid almost $100.00 when it first came out and have jack to show for. Not only is this an act of desperation, but an utter disregard for their loyal customers that's been here since Day 1 and given them the majority of their operation's capitol.

hey u
12-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't get it. The game is already almost free, I paid almost $100.00 when it first came out and have jack to show for. Not only is this an act of desperation, but an utter disregard for their loyal customers that's been here since Day 1 and given them the majority of their operation's capitol.

We have the memories of this game and how it was months back compared to now. We have the memories of hundreds maybe even thousands of server disconnects with almost forgot about system locks and still going on to this day ahh the memories.

Jet1337
12-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Currently $5 on Steam.

That's as much as a damn tier 3 box in the shop. lol

I'll probably buy this for the pc.

GridSufer
12-20-2013, 01:23 PM
That's as much as a damn tier 3 box in the shop. lol

I'll probably buy this for the pc.

It's worth it if you're in a good system. :)

Xzelian
12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Sad that it has come to this, but I gotta say it's the result of never having a game that is not broken. People will spend money on hope but they quickly take their time elsewhere. It is a good story, interesting world, coulda been a contender.

I can't agree more. To take it to another level it isn't just that the game is broken, but that every "fix" makes it worse. Three times now I have tried to join my clan in a shadow war only to end up on "the other team" no communication, getting pot shotted and unable to perform. What's worse is that with new content only available to PS3 pass holders, this effectively makes the game pay to win.

Trion....did you learn NOTHING from observing DC online?

SO here it is.

Broken and actively trying to destroy friendships with unnecessary tension favoring players.
For once I actually logged off out of disgust for what the game has become, not stayed off out of anger for DCs....
take a note Trion that is a very, very bad thing given your DC ratio.

GridSufer
12-20-2013, 01:29 PM
I can't agree more. To take it to another level it isn't just that the game is broken, but that every "fix" makes it worse. Three times now I have tried to join my clan in a shadow war only to end up on "the other team" no communication, getting pot shotted and unable to perform. What's worse is that whith new content only available to PS3 pass holders, this effectively makes the game pay to win.

Trion....did you learn NOTHING from observing DC online?

SO here it is.

Broken and actively trying to destroy friendships with unnecessary tension favoring players.
For once I actually logged off out of disgust for what the game has become, not stayed off out of anger for DCs....
take a note Trion that is a very, very bad thing given your DC ratio.

You're on PS3 I'm guessing?

Storm58
12-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Rift seems to be doing well as a free to play game.

I think Rift is doing well (read better than Defiance) because it has "stuff." The world is way bigger, the story more immense, the customizations for your character are larger, crafting, better server stability, etc. etc. etc.

If Defiance had all of the above and more, I reckon people would even pay a monthly sum (to a degree) to play.

EDIT: Oooh! Almost forgot! Rift has a working Chat System!

GridSufer
12-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I think Rift is doing well (read better than Defiance) because it has "stuff." The world is way bigger, the story more immense, the customizations for your character are larger, crafting, better server stability, etc. etc. etc.

If Defiance had all of the above and more, I reckon people would even pay a monthly sum (to a degree) to play.

I agree on all point Except! The story line...

Way too cheesy and way too 'you're the hero, you're the one'
Other than that Rift does have what Defiance needs

Xzelian
12-20-2013, 05:15 PM
You're on PS3 I'm guessing?

Yes Im on PS3, and while I get that Trion hates us and feels our money is worth less, it will all be ok in the end when I file the suit. oh yes....btw class action announcement on the way kids.

Bonehead
12-20-2013, 05:15 PM
I agree on all point Except! The story line...

Way too cheesy and way too 'you're the hero, you're the one'
Other than that Rift does have what Defiance needs

But it took time for Rift to get there.
It was not "all that" when it started. It didn't find it's self until sometime after it went free to play.

Bonehead
12-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Yes Im on PS3, and while I get that Trion hates us and feels our money is worth less, it will all be ok in the end when I file the suit. oh yes....btw class action announcement on the way kids.

Best laugh all day.
I hope you have deep pockets.

GridSufer
12-20-2013, 06:18 PM
It was not "all that" when it started. It didn't find it's self until sometime after it went free to play.

I know, I was there for Beta... The. For a while as a subscriber, got bored, stop paying them, went off to do other things (shocking I had a life for a while!) then it came as F2P... 'Oh I remember that game...'

crasher
12-20-2013, 07:06 PM
We have the memories of this game and how it was months back compared to now. We have the memories of hundreds maybe even thousands of server disconnects with almost forgot about system locks and still going on to this day ahh the memories.
I prefer the memories of the hundreds of really great people I met here in the game.
Some of them were part of a truly outstanding fun time.

hey u
12-20-2013, 07:31 PM
I prefer the memories of the hundreds of really great people I met here in the game.
Some of them were part of a truly outstanding fun time.

I should have added that on the list. It is true I have met some of the nicest coolest people up in Defiance compared to any other game and lots of great memories there.

DanteYoda
12-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Rift had a storyline? I got to level 40ish in rift and i remember very little Story (i remember a beginning cutscene?) and lots and lots of text i clicked past ....... was that the storyline?

I remember at 43 and seeing noone else in the map, thinking wtf am i doing here there is zero story and then left from bordem.

So glad i came to Defiance after that to be honest.

Arsenic_Touch
12-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Rift had a storyline? I got to level 40ish in rift and i remember very little Story (i remember a beginning cutscene?) and lots and lots of text i clicked past ....... was that the storyline?

Never played an mmo before? you realize the npcs and text for the questlines is the storyline, right?

DanteYoda
12-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Never played an mmo before? you realize the npcs and text for the questlines is the storyline, right?
I've played over a hundred mmo's, yes i understand that, but Rift storyline was non-existent, honestly that or so watered down i barely could understand it.

Maybe the last Few MMO's i played showered me in storylines (Guildwars 2, The Secret World, Neverwinter etc) they weren't great but they made sense but Rift was terrible story wise.

P.s. I don't mind the Unlimited free trial of Defiance, if it adds more players then it works.

Optix
12-24-2013, 02:41 AM
Instead of unlimited trial they should convert the game to F2P. Why? Because servers are empty.

Etaew
12-24-2013, 03:12 AM
A friend of mine is using the trial at the moment, and there is a yellow boundary south of Madera which teleports you back if you cross it.

So there is the incentive to purchase the full game to continue the story and events over the other 3 zones.

samuelsinn
12-24-2013, 03:47 AM
over all if its bringing in new blood that can play and enjoy the game. let them do what thay want with it. the only thing i want is a refund of cash when the gale is 100% free to play. for the money i put into buying the standered copy of the game its self.

and i know ALOT of players on PC will want this also when the time comes. more so the ones that sadly . had to pay 100s of dollers to get the game.

ya that would be nice. a refund for the game going 100% free to play... :: goes back to dreaming ::

Arsenic_Touch
12-24-2013, 03:58 AM
A friend of mine is using the trial at the moment, and there is a yellow boundary south of Madera which teleports you back if you cross it.

So there is the incentive to purchase the full game to continue the story and events over the other 3 zones.

So basically it's another case of false advertisement? haha. It's not like they're missing out on anything though. They pretty much have access to the majority of the game north of madera.

lat00uk
12-24-2013, 04:21 AM
I actually installed this last night and then I ended up buying the Digital Collectors Edition for like £9 from Trion, although when i played for a couple of hours last night, I only saw about 10 players max, I take it the game (I have no idea which server I was on, if there are even servers.. lol) is pretty quiet in the newbie areas.

Just makes a change to play an MMO that isnt about orcs and magic... lol

samuelsinn
12-24-2013, 04:31 AM
(I have no idea which server I was on, if there are even servers.. lol)

when you open the game launcher click the the setings button on the bottem right. this will bring up the " server list " there are only 2 NA and EU if your on the NA the " noobie " area is well ostly dead till you get down to the blood gorage area

also as you will find out fast enough . most people are inside of major ark brakes and are going agenst a boss called the WarMaster. the ones that are not are scattered around the open world runing seiges . killing inffected. destroying volge. killing hellbugs fighting other players. and over all doing there own things.

now back on topic

still think this game will go full FTP before the end of season 2 anyone else think this also ?

Storm58
12-24-2013, 08:34 AM

I dunno. I got Rift about a month after it came out. By then it had a working chat, working mechanics, I never got disconnected, I could play with my friends quite easily, blah blah blah. Rift might have gotten better, but by the time I played it, it was already "technically wise" miles ahead of where I see Defiance's progress.

Storm58
12-24-2013, 08:39 AM
over all if its bringing in new blood that can play and enjoy the game. let them do what thay want with it. the only thing i want is a refund of cash when the gale is 100% free to play. for the money i put into buying the standered copy of the game its self.

and i know ALOT of players on PC will want this also when the time comes. more so the ones that sadly . had to pay 100s of dollers to get the game.

ya that would be nice. a refund for the game going 100% free to play... :: goes back to dreaming ::

I agree new players are good (of course retaining the OLD players should be a priority too). However, what's the point of new players? Or any players? (That's sarcasm, guys)

If you have another buddy or two, you can do everything aside from killing the WM and about the only point to kill him is to say you did it or post some arbitrary score of how high you got your damage (woo).

The game is lacking in difficulty. Adding more people just downplays on that difficulty even more. The only way (hyperbole entered here) new players would be good for this game is for PvP. Outside of that, what's the point?

Squall Leonhart
12-24-2013, 09:32 AM
My main concern is why I shouldn't just use this? I mean there are no rewards for players over 4500 EGO (I haven't been able to sell a weapon to anyone in months) We get no increased stats, no better loot since grenades were broken, no improved loot, no increased scrip, NOTHING. All we get is the inability to sell anything to anyone....

Staying at EGO 500 is kind of what I always wanted. Guess Im trading in my full game, to play the DEMO unlimited....weird lol

samuelsinn
12-24-2013, 12:22 PM
I agree new players are good (of course retaining the OLD players should be a priority too). However, what's the point of new players? Or any players? (That's sarcasm, guys)

If you have another buddy or two, you can do everything aside from killing the WM and about the only point to kill him is to say you did it or post some arbitrary score of how high you got your damage (woo).

The game is lacking in difficulty. Adding more people just downplays on that difficulty even more. The only way (hyperbole entered here) new players would be good for this game is for PvP. Outside of that, what's the point?

i beleave that trion has seen what thay have done and is trying to slowly mend there ways. and fix what has happend. at the most 2 years down the line the game is probaly going to be all FTP for PC users and . you could probaly by the game for like 2 bucks if that in a game shop .

over all the new players are a good thing. and like you said whats the point if theres realy no retaintion of the old players.
people get bored with a game that lacks difficulty. and move on fairly fast.

but at the same time games also fail when the drvs fail to give the players what thay want.

best exsample of this would be a game called Arctic Combat. after 3 days of playing it i told the clan i was part of the game was going to fail. within 4 mounths the game was shut down permanitly here in the US becuse of a breech of contract with the mother company in Korea

games come and go. games fail and people move on. BUT if trion picks up the slack some and does what thay need to and starts to fix all the problums in the game. thay can carry this game onwords and keep it going. and ultamitly even if the game goes full free to play. make this game just the way all people want it

for now. i feel the free to play is worth it. iv said it a few times. and ill keep saying it. let people play to ego 500. let them enjoy the game. and you know what. spread the word out there to others. if your part of forums and other gameing sites and such . drop defiances unlimited free trial out there cus the more people we get in the game. the more money revanu is comeing into the company and the more money going into the company means the more likely we will see all these bugs and glitches fixed

if not. oh well. the game is ok the way it is. maybe one day thay will deside to make it the best game ever.

oh and on the comment about the warmaster , i think its a waist that so many people are even pertisapating in the little " im better then you " scoreing thing on the forum. its like watching a bunch of men pissing off a porch to see who can get it the furthest. its meaningless and vary childish and sad. :)