PDA

View Full Version : Curious about jumping in

Darkcrab
01-09-2014, 12:20 PM
I remember hearing about this game some time ago, but I admit I sort of brushed it off, and decided to ignore the title for now, give the game some time to grow.

Now im thinking of jumping in, and am curious about how Defiance is actually doing? Is it still populated, the state of the game any good?

Really just curious is all if the games worth trying, or if Trion sorta goofed on this project.

Thanks in advance

Folly
01-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Defiance is easily the most bug-ridden MMO I've ever played, and it has shown absolutely no sign of improving in that regard since launch.

That said, I still consider it a good game. I value games based on how many hours of fun I have playing them vs the price I paid for them; if I can get better than a 1:1 ratio, then I consider it a good game. I paid $60 for Defiance at launch plus $40 for the DLC packs, and with well over 100 hours spent in Defiance, I cannot deny that it was a worthwhile purchase. Last time I checked the price had come down to something like $10 now, making it that much better of a value. Definitely try it out.

As for population, they use a dynamic server system that ensures people will always be placed in worlds that are populated. You should have no trouble finding other people in-game.

Manstan
01-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Defiance is easily the most bug-ridden MMO I've ever played, and it has shown absolutely no sign of improving in that regard since launch.

Well then you haven't seen many MMOs. lol And I know what shape this was in at release and why I didn't buy in then, it's actually not to bad now.

That said, I still consider it a good game. I value games based on how many hours of fun I have playing them vs the price I paid for them; if I can get better than a 1:1 ratio, then I consider it a good game. I paid $60 for Defiance at launch plus $40 for the DLC packs, and with well over 100 hours spent in Defiance, I cannot deny that it was a worthwhile purchase. Last time I checked the price had come down to something like $10 now, making it that much better of a value. Definitely try it out.

Agree.

As for population, they use a dynamic server system that ensures people will always be placed in worlds that are populated. You should have no trouble finding other people in-game.

It's kind of dead in the AM but picks up nice in the PM.

Etaew
01-09-2014, 02:55 PM
I would recommend it to new players, it is cheap and a solid investment which has a good return on time.

Play through the limited content, but once you have consumed what little there is, move on and come back when there is more content as it does not currently have enough content to keep you endlessly engaged.

Amack
01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
I'd strongly suggest using one foot in front of the other to check the depth of the water before jumping in... but once that is done, you're good!

Darkcrab
01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I would recommend it to new players, it is cheap and a solid investment which has a good return on time.

Pay through the limited content, but once you have consumed what little there is, move on and come back when there is more content as it does not currently have enough content to keep you endlessly engaged.

If I buy the game for $10 do I get all the DLC/all the content?

Im trying out the free to play trial right now and just curious how long that lasts.

The Lady
01-09-2014, 03:14 PM
not sure how long it lasts but I heard it won't let you travel out of Madera.

Darkcrab
01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
not sure how long it lasts but I heard it won't let you travel out of Madera.

Whats a Madera? >.> how long does it last?

And again, the $10 gets me ALL DLc etc right?

Manstan
01-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Your EGO is capped at 500. Just check your map. The lighter part is what you are restricted to. There is a very clear border. But you can play in that area as long as you like.

Atticus Batman
01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Whats a Madera? >.> how long does it last?

And again, the $10 gets me ALL DLc etc right?

10$ gets you access to the base game and you can do the free dlc things, but the paid Dlc costs extra. Without it you can't do certain missions or the Arenas, or use certain weapons, but you can go anywhere everyone else can. You do not need the Dlc unless you like the game and want everything it has to offer.

Escyos
01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Don't listen to what others say, we all know that some people make really stupid decisions where others would not. Play for yourself.

Note: I have experienced very few problems that others complain about. Most likely they are doing something very wrong and so blame it on Trion, without every actually trying to work with Trion to discover what is wrong. Don't follow their example-

williamarmistace
01-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Don't listen to what others say, we all know that some people make really stupid decisions where others would not. Play for yourself.

Note: I have experienced very few problems that others complain about. Most likely they are doing something very wrong and so blame it on Trion, without every actually trying to work with Trion to discover what is wrong. Don't follow their example-

Don't listen to what others say especially this guy. He's spent countless numbers of hours making his site, and thinks that he needs the game to do well in order to feel 'validated'. He attributes the problems of the game to the players for bringing them up, rather than holding the Dev's responsible for a faulty product. It's his defense mechanism.

There are a lot of problems with the game and the servers. Trion has failed to fix many problems that have been here since launch, and has a knack for 'fixing' things that are not broken. But at the $10 price you'll probably get your money's worth. Jus don't buy the DLCs unless you know exactly what you are getting (not much).

Manstan
01-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Don't listen to what others say especially this guy. He's spent countless numbers of hours making his site, and thinks that he needs the game to do well in order to feel 'validated'. He attributes the problems of the game to the players for bringing them up, rather than holding the Dev's responsible for a faulty product. It's his defense mechanism.

There are a lot of problems with the game and the servers. Trion has failed to fix many problems that have been here since launch, and has a knack for 'fixing' things that are not broken. But at the $10 price you'll probably get your money's worth. Jus don't buy the DLCs unless you know exactly what you are getting (not much).

Ahh, no? I'm in the US and on a PC. I have very few issue as far as bugs; not that I don't have issues with the game but they aren't bugs ;)

But then again blaming it on the player; or players comp, isn't true ether. I've read to much by people with PS3s and Xboxs, and/or on the UK server that do have issues.

DanteYoda
01-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Same here i am in Australia and i get no game breaking issues, yes the game is far from perfect but even with Aussie internet i get almost zero Disconnects, very little lag etc

I've been in Defiance i think three months spent a good deal more than $10 to me its a rather nice game.

Try it and see personally..

Escyos
01-10-2014, 01:13 AM

That's kind of laughable. I don't put so much work into the wiki to feel validated, I do it to show that idiots on wikia that they are useless. If the game has so many problems then how come I do not see them? Am I the luckiest person in the world? Should I put on a lottery ticket and become a million if I'm so lucky?

No, what we have is people using sub-par internet and setting their underpowered computers too high. Every piece of software will have its problems but a problem experienced by one and not by the other does not indicate faulty software, thats a hardware problem.

Kreystus
01-10-2014, 05:26 AM
I was kinda worried about buying the game , Im an old wow player and I didn't know that much about shooter mmos ... I played borderlands and borderlands2 but that's far from a mmo... I gave the game a try and I got hooked. My wife now plays with me we have been enjoying the game a lot. If you want to try something new for 10$ it has a lot of content and It seems to be very populated. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to try a exciting mmo with a good content.

Danke
01-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Play this game on Ps3 then tell me its a hardware issue, we all know the game has its share of bugs, most of them are just annoying few of them are game breaking, there are work arounds for most of the issues. Hard freezes after a warmaster and using mass breakdown for example super annoying.. work around dont mass break down after a warmaster unless you reboot first.

Not receiving loot for killing the warmaster with a full backpack, super annoying, work around, dont have a full backpack.

This game is worth every penny. I wouldnt recommend the DLC's if your concerned about $10 for a game, as the DLCs are very MINOR, however most of what the DLCs offered was given for free to all players so you get the enjoy 95% of the DLC additions for free.
DLC 1 includes Castithan player race, and a single player ARENA instance with reputation (arena points ) vendor
DLC 2 ability to call down arkbreaks, equip items found from arkbreaks

DLC 2 for free you can enter arkbreaks other players with the DLC have called down, you can collect the items, sell or trade them you just won't be able to equip any DLC exclusive weapons.

You can purchase the DLC at any time so Id suggest just buying the game then you can decide later on if you want the DLCs

williamarmistace
01-10-2014, 06:33 AM
That's kind of laughable. I don't put so much work into the wiki to feel validated, I do it to show that idiots on wikia that they are useless.

Laughable yes, in that you create a Defiance wiki to "show that idiots on wikia that they are useless." I do things in my free time because I enjoy doing them, not out of some neurotic need to show idiots that they are useless.

If the game has so many problems then how come I do not see them? Am I the luckiest person in the world? Should I put on a lottery ticket and become a million if I'm so lucky?

No, what we have is people using sub-par internet and setting their underpowered computers too high. Every piece of software will have its problems but a problem experienced by one and not by the other does not indicate faulty software, thats a hardware problem.

Maybe you live on a higher plane of existence. Or maybe you refuse to acknowledge them. But to deny problems exist is flat out a lie, and to assume any problems are caused by the users' hardware is ludicrous. You might as well call 80% of the forum posters and both CMs, who've acknowledged the existence of these problems, fools.

To the OP, if you have not perused the forum yet, here are a couple of well read threads detailing the problems this game has:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?145652-Things-that-need-to-be-addressed.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?145189-Issues-we-want-fixed-Prioritized-by-the-Community-(A-Social-Expirement)

Nothing outlined in these threads are caused by "people using sub-par internet and/or underpowered computers too high".

And to reiterate what I said originally, you'll probably get your money's worth for $10. Just don't buy the DLCs unless you know exactly what you are getting (not much).

rydda
01-10-2014, 06:38 AM
Just get it an play it then you can find out if you ask people here you get mix feeling about the game if you can work around some bugs you do good.
me an my friends an family play the game iv been on long time to not let dc make me mad iv got use to it.
more fun working as a team then a lone wolf.

p.s. if fighting the warmaster do not unlock him untill you got 24 people please trust me. You see why.

Manstan
01-10-2014, 07:18 AM

Dude drink some coffee and wake the F up. Or are you just too thick to realize not every one is playing this on a PC? Not everyone is playing this in the USA? You spit that out there like you know, the fact is you don't, you are assuming. And you know what happens when you assume something? Right you make an *** of U and me.

Escyos
01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Dude drink some coffee and wake the F up. Or are you just too thick to realize not every one is playing this on a PC? Not everyone is playing this in the USA? You spit that out there like you know, the fact is you don't, you are assuming. And you know what happens when you assume something? Right you make an *** of U and me.

I am well aware that not everyone is using a PC and that they are not in the US. As a matter of fact I am using Defiance on a low grade laptop and I am in AUSTRALIA. So why is it that I have had no problems?

williamarmistace
01-10-2014, 04:54 PM
I am well aware that not everyone is using a PC and that they are not in the US. As a matter of fact I am using Defiance on a low grade laptop and I am in AUSTRALIA. So why is it that I have had no problems?

Because you live in a world where Defiance problems don't exist, duhhhh.

Why do you deny the problems listed by forum posters and acknowledged by Trion CMs? Simple answer, you are on another plane of existence. I admire you.

Bonehead
01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
To the OP

Jump on motherjumper.

Manstan
01-10-2014, 05:28 PM

You don't see the problem with that statement. Part B proves part A wrong.

Let me brake this down for you. People on Xbox and PS3 and/or on the euroserver are having issues. Are you on an Xbox, PS3, and or on the euro server? No?, Could that possibly be why you aren't having issues?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

DO YA FEEEL ME?

williamarmistace
01-10-2014, 05:33 PM
You don't see the problem with that statement. Part B proves part A wrong.

Let me brake this down for you. People on Xbox and PS3 and/or on the euroserver are having issues. Are you on an Xbox, PS3, and or on the euro server? No?, Could that possibly be why you aren't having issues?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

DO YA FEEEL ME?

I think he lives in a world by himself. Whatever he sees, hears, smells, touches, or tastes is real. Anything else does not exist. Maybe he lacks the concept of object permanence?

Sliverbaer
01-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Wow, so much hostility in this thread. (typical for this forum)

The game is fun. (Haven't been able to play much recently, got one of those 8week year old daughter things...)

I have it for PS3 (full launch price) and PC (amazon sale). Plays well on my PC build. Sometimes laggy and get disconnects on PS3. Have gotten my money's worth. Since there is no subscription, you can play as much as you want, take a break, or play some more.

Just bought the Defiance Season 1 Blu Ray also.

crasher
01-10-2014, 06:14 PM

The game is fun. (Haven't been able to play much recently, got one of those 8week year old daughter things...)

I have it for PS3 (full launch price) and PC (amazon sale). Plays well on my PC build. Sometimes laggy and get disconnects on PS3. Have gotten my money's worth. Since there is no subscription, you can play as much as you want, take a break, or play some more.

1st:
'gratz to you and the sammichmaker for the new asset.

2nd:
I paid a bunch in April.
I've paid a bunch for inventory slots on several 'toons in $$.
I've bought several trucks for $$.

No question I got my moneys worth by June, even with the issues that were fixed since then.

And I continue to enjoy the game every day.

My personal hostility comes from dealing with the small stuff on a day to day basis. I have a low thresh-hold for annoyance.
Not being able to get out of the vehicle of all of 5-10 seconds at an emergency sets me to grumbling by the 3rd time, as one example.
(Yeah, I know, 1st world problems).

But what really ticks me of is that if TRION doesn't get their shtako in a neat pile soon, (DLCs that make sense, to start), I might not have the ability to play the game I like should the population fall low enough to shutter the servers.

And THAT makes me mad.

williamarmistace
01-10-2014, 06:22 PM

I agree about the hostility. A new player asks about problems with the game and some hostile poster just flat out lies and denies there are any problems. Rude and mean person to lie to people like that. (Typical forum posters). But, We all know the game is worth $10 even with all the work that is needed to make it better.

Atticus Batman
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
If you are on console and in America, just go to Gamestop and buy a used copy. THey have a 7 return policy. If you don't like it during that time, just return it for a full refund and get something you will. Enjoy your gaming, either way.