PDA

View Full Version : Bummed about Arkfalls

Murdertrain
01-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Hey guys,

I started back about a month ago after playing a couple days at release. I'm having a blast. Fun game. Not too much thinking. Just kill stuff and press E a lot. It's a nice change-of-pace from my typical min/maxing in MMOs.

Defiance is fun.

One thing that's really bumming me out is the lack of anything decent (read: worth the time invested) when I finish Arkfall events. Single Arkfalls are understandably weak: one dude blows stuff up, gets a couple greens, then moves on. But when I participate in literally every part of a major Arkfall (and do really well) I'm rewarded with what is basically breakdown/mass sell junk.

Now, I do understand that there's randomness involved, but I have yet to see anything above blue drop from an Arkfall--even if I blow up the leaderboards at the end.

So I wonder if I'm just expecting too much? I'm only EGO 1200 or so and have a long way to go. Does better loot come with higher EGO?

Also, on a lot of the 'blow up the crystal" I end up just focusing the crystal down without worrying too much about killing the mobs around it. I usually do this when there aren't many people working on a large Arkfall series. Is that wrong? Should I work more on the mobs and just kill the crystal when mobs are down? Seems like that'd take forever.

Am I doing it wrong?

Once again, I'm having a blast. But the lack of anything tangible from putting forth a huge effort in an Arkfall has me a little disappointed. Maybe I'm just not understanding/devaluing the scrap loot that comes with it?

Thanks for any input/insight.

Regardless of this minor gripe, I love this game for what it is.

Oh one other question, in 1200 EGO I've seen one orange (shield) and that's it. That was from a T4 box. Should I have seen more than this? Are boxes the only source for oranges? Will I naturally see more as I level up?

Take care,

<3 Murder

Manstan
01-09-2014, 10:44 PM
I occasionally get a blue item; most of the time grenades {big woop :( }, but most of the time it's quantity over quality. I mean ya you get a lot of stuff to sell, sometimes enough to buy a good weapon.

I'll point out here it seems things have been eased off a bit. You used to drive close to a mission site and walked in because you had to think before you acted. Now you can just drive right in, go spray and pray, and get it done. Not saying its real bad, but I never could get the shutting down the refinery done by myself before. The refinery was one it was best to wait out side of till you saw a couple more players show up to do it.

Festival
01-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Personally, I think that if what amounts to valueless pixels on a screen and numbers on a spreadsheet is what's motivating you to play a game, then you're Doing It Wrong. If a game's fun to play, I couldn't care less what loot drops (although I'm obviously stoked when something really nice does drop!). If the game's not fun, no amour of loot will make me want to play it.

But I'm a bit of a throwback...YMMV.

Manstan
01-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Personally, I think that if what amounts to valueless pixels on a screen and numbers on a spreadsheet is what's motivating you to play a game, then you're Doing It Wrong. If a game's fun to play, I couldn't care less what loot drops (although I'm obviously stoked when something really nice does drop!). If the game's not fun, no amour of loot will make me want to play it.

But I'm a bit of a throwback...YMMV.

Yes, but for some part of the fun is that felling of progression. With out getting better weapons once and a while, you don't feel like you are progressing.

Probert
01-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Ark falls are fun to do. But don't expect much from them. I have got a few purples from them but they are more abt the Xp, keys, salvage, and script for me. Keys get u lock boxes to get a chance at OJ and salvage to buy keys. If u look at that way I don't mind it.

If u want a good chance at loot u need to do sieges and ark breaks minor and majors.

Etaew
01-10-2014, 01:32 AM
Yes, but for some part of the fun is that felling of progression. With out getting better weapons once and a while, you don't feel like you are progressing.

This is the key, there is some progression but not enough and it isn't displayed visibly.

- There are some pursuits tied to arkfalls
- Experience earned while at arkfalls go to the clan experience for arkfalls

I would like something similar to the clan experience system for personal reputation, opening up powerful store items as you progress that will increase your effectiveness at arkfalls not simply a flat small bonus.

rebtattoo
01-10-2014, 02:07 AM
Also, the only arkfalls that will reward a legendary is the Dark Matter Majors. You can also get them from sieges and the WM arkbreaker.

I didn't receive my first oj as a drop til just after 1600. I acquired some through trade and clan mates prior to that.

Hell, to be honest, I have some purples and a few blues that outdo some of my oranges! If you like the game, continue playing. Eventually, the RNG may run in your favor.

Tallon
01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Fist Major arkfall I did produced 1 legendary. Since then I dont even think I've gotten a purple....all blue and green junk no better than what you can buy at a vendor. Pretty lame for killing the WM.

Zugo
01-10-2014, 07:50 AM
My first orange was ego 160, second 460, third 1400, but the forth didn't happen until over 2400. I don't believe the drops have anything to do with EGO level but you can see there was a significant amount of time between drops.

Legendary drops are rare, it will take time to get them.

Old School Pop
01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Be careful about just seeking oj's, most of them are less powerful than a purp or blue with good rolls and synergy. Advice might be always check your guns before selling them back to a vendor, look for dmg, crit, mag and synergy rolls, many players end up with a 'favorite' weapon they have fun using and good scores regardless of color. Before buying an oj, check the above also, there are alot of 'junk' oj's out there.

Danke
01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Aside from doing things specifically to grief other players or cause event failures there is no wrong way to participate in an event. If you are having fun, the game is working as intended.

As far as OJ weapons you will find them, they are rare. When i say find, I mean lockboxes, sieges, and dark matter major arkfalls.

Also from killing the warmaster but these OJs don't really count in my book.

Murdertrain
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies all.

I think it's clear I was looking for a little too much out of the Arkfalls in terms of rewards.

I'm totally fine with that. I'm having a blast. I just wondered if there was something about my performance that didn't allow me to reap big rewards since major arkfalls are ostensibly pretty epic events. It's good to know those items come from elsewhere and i can just relax and concentrate on having fun at these events without worrying too much about the loot screen.

And I agree that I find many blues that vastly outperform purples. No reason to think that wouldn't be the case with some purples vs. oranges.

Have a good one.

<3 Murder