PDA

View Full Version : So, Surge bolters/splitshots

Kenshin X
01-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Havenít been yet since the nerf, but cant wait to put the stupid thing away.

Was the nerf successful? Can i dust off and bring out my Wolfie again?

Rock Lobsta
01-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Haven’t been yet since the nerf, but cant wait to put the stupid thing away.

Servers are still down I think....My bet is they made them as effective as trying to hip fire a VBI Sniper Rifle...

internaut
01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
To get it to work as close to hip firing as possible, just add a low scope mod and its as good firing from the hip. :D

bigdawg21180
01-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Or the volge lightning rifle lol. Although it will be nice to finally go back to the volge sieges and pull out the trusty siphon VBI ar and not get 2 grenades as a reward

four
01-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Or the volge lightning rifle lol. Although it will be nice to finally go back to the volge sieges and pull out the trusty siphon VBI ar and not get 2 grenades as a reward

ugh i hate the lightning rifle lol. every time i shoot something with it i get zero damage unless i shoot the ground next to them, so annoying ha

Kibblehouse
01-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Wow, and here i thought that was just me. I tried the Lightening Rifle and the shots just went everywhere except where I wanted, glad to know others had the same experience.

internaut
01-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Ok, just tried my Split with 1.206 patch.... Second highest in a Minor Ark! Only noticeable difference is that the charge rate is much slower. I think I can live with that! :D

Kenshin X
01-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Ok, just tried my Split with 1.206 patch.... Second highest in a Minor Ark! Only noticeable difference is that the charge rate is much slower. I think I can live with that! :D

Sigh....

I hope not...was hoping DMG and hip accuracy were gonna go

Odessa
01-15-2014, 12:39 PM
ugh i hate the lightning rifle lol. every time i shoot something with it i get zero damage unless i shoot the ground next to them, so annoying ha

That's the only reason I use it. I need the 5k kills and it's the best way to farm them in the arenas.

four
01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
That's the only reason I use it. I need the 5k kills and it's the best way to farm them in the arenas.

yeah i can see that being useful with skitterlings or mongrels but not much else. no joke, i am aiming directly at a targets chest (not moving) fully charged and it goes straight through them with no damage. but hitting just near the feet is a crit lol. such a bad weapon

squidgod2000
01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
To get it to work as close to hip firing as possible, just add a low scope mod and its as good firing from the hip. :D

Except that it slows your movement and hides half the screen.

Odessa
01-15-2014, 12:54 PM
yeah i can see that being useful with skitterlings or mongrels but not much else. no joke, i am aiming directly at a targets chest (not moving) fully charged and it goes straight through them with no damage. but hitting just near the feet is a crit lol. such a bad weapon

Exactly! How can an head shot not take off any of the shield? I am looking forward to being finished with the kills, though.

I'm curious how much of a difference the splitshot will be in pvp. I remember my friend quoting me in his signature when I said, "How refreshing. I was killed with a assault rifle" after they nerfed the infector. I don't mind dying, I just prefer a little chance of getting a kill before then. :D

Jet1337
01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
My surge bolter lost 100 DMG...

Vendor Valerie
01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
copypaste from the other thread:

the Surge Bolter / Splitshots are still laser accurate from the hip if you charge it fully.

The only real nerf to these rifles is the charge time. Which has been increased by like 30% or so (just by testing)

Haffoc
01-15-2014, 01:18 PM

the Surge Bolter / Splitshots are still laser accurate from the hip if you charge it fully.

The only real nerf to these rifles is the charge time. Which has been increased by like 30% or so (just by testing)

So it seems that Trion has once again failed to address concerns of the player-base.

It really does seem that they are trying to kill the game off and drive players away...

ironcladtrash
01-15-2014, 01:22 PM

So no real discernable difference then. Especially in PVP. Once again not even bothering to understand the game or provide a proper fix.

Jet1337
01-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Actually, the shots have more spread, even at full charge.

squidgod2000
01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Actually, the shots have more spread, even at full charge.

So instead of hit-or-miss it's hit-or-partially-hit?

Jet1337
01-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Basically. They should function about the same at the warmonkey. They just take about twice as long to charge.

Kenshin X
01-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Im getting on shortly, and I swear if my double crit assassin wolfie stays dusty because of these stupid things.....

I love my wolfhound, but whats the point when I KNOW, with no effort, those dumb *** snipers will be better?

I hate myself for using them....

*walks off disgusted with himself

Logain
01-15-2014, 02:06 PM

I noticed this as well. Though I I think it does take about twice as long to charge and that moving targets at further distances, the surge/splitshot is not as accurate shooting from the hip. Scope however is pretty darn accurate. I need to confirm this but I also think they do about 10% less damage.

Hip shooting up close and personal with slow moving targets with large crit targets (ie Volge and Warmaster) still will take a beating.

Im getting on shortly, and I swear if my double crit assassin wolfie stays dusty because of these stupid things.....

I'll trade or buy that Wolfhound off of you if you are going to just let it sit there collecting dust.

inox2980
01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
I hate myself for using them....

*walks off disgusted with himself

I feel your pain - perhaps a support group is needed?

Fuzzy
01-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Since I'm playing on the EU-servers and not on the NA servers and we don't have the patch yet, I cannot say a lot.
A clan mate of mine went onto the NA servers and tried the Surge Bolters. The crosshair is HUGE when firing from the hip when it's not fully charged. Charging takes 3.5 seconds. Try shooting from the hip while jumping, it won't work (Well, it will, but you won't hit half the particles into your enemy, talking about PvP here btw).
Even when standing still, the crosshair is not as small as before and I think, not all particles will hit the head when you're firing at opponents in PvP.

Thanks to the damage decrease and the charge time increase, it will now be possible to have a chance against those darn SB-users ;) I went onto the NA servers as well. Got a level 30 char there and have a shield with 1012 capacity. No damage restistance perks. It took him 5 shots to kill me. They were fully charged but I tried to dodge his shots. That's enough time to kill a SB user in PvP.

I agree, it's still OP in PvE, as you can still hit large moving objects as the Viscera for example. But it's harder to jump/run and hit something from the hip with the SB and I'm looking forward to finally having this change on the EU-servers. It's much needed.

Whippersnapper
01-15-2014, 04:30 PM
It was half successful. Happy now?

The bolter was fine as it was and behaved as a real sniper weapon should behave.

It still does (i think) IF:
-you charge it or
-you use the scope
No more accurate hip shooting

But... with the bolter nerf came many other nerfs. Some of which I'm slowly discovering to my dismay.

As usual, these nerfs have left me not all to pleased
-I can't seem to find blue mods (10K ones) at mod vendors
-I read in patch notes Warmaster will now drop a lot more white weapons. Gee... Thanks!
-No longer get nades from weekly events. Yea, I get plenty from drops, but... That's because my clan is nice enough to have LOOT BONUS you frackers!!!

crasher
01-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Havenít been yet since the nerf, but cant wait to put the stupid thing away.

What happened to your avatar pix/gifs?

agiantmudcrab
01-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Finally , something was done to those OP guns.

Capo Rip
01-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Yeah, just need to nerf those OP double crit wolfies now ...

drackiller
01-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Yeah, just need to nerf those OP double crit wolfies now ...

Don`t say that, you don`t know what you`r starting...

internaut
01-16-2014, 06:19 AM
I think I'll join the "moaning and groaning, crybaby bunter suck a mammas titties brigade" and then I'll also get my way and trion will nerf every effective weapon I don't like.

Sonic7870
01-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Sadly no while the Splitshot charge time has increased the accuracy hasn't been affected at all when I tested my splitshot at a volge siege what I discovered was the following points

1 - Splitshot can still take out elite volge troopers/bombers in 2 Crit shots even though the damage was reduced
2 - When standing still the accuracy of the Splitshot is still 100% when fired from the hip
3 - Noticed when I was moving around the targeting ring had expanded and my shots were still capable to cause damage from a distance even though the effect should have been using a shotgun at a distance this means that players would be able to charge the Splitshot while moving and be able to fire from the hip with 100% accuracy when standing still

Kibblehouse
01-16-2014, 07:14 AM
I actually like the way my Surge Bolter worked last night. Takes alot longer to charge, but I like the mechanic of shrinking the hit-box the longer you charge. If I am sitting across the arkfall from a large target I can fire at say 1/2 charge and see all my shots hit. The changes "Fixed" the weapon for me and users like me, I will no longer be godlike at sieges, etc. But the guns are still fun and useful. What remains to be seen is if this fix did enough to change the weapon in the hands of the high end players.

squidgod2000
01-16-2014, 07:18 AM
What remains to be seen is if this fix did enough to change the weapon in the hands of the high end players.

Still extremely high hip accuracy combined with extremely high damage. Nobody is taking these out of their loadouts.

DanteYoda
01-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Still pretty OP but i prefer my Ranger personally.

Xervez
01-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Still extremely high hip accuracy combined with extremely high damage. Nobody is taking these out of their loadouts.

That in itself is the problem, high accuracy combined with extremely high damage for a semi-auto sniper rifle.

They should of did more to the gun since it still trumps everything else in bolt action and semi auto categories including

- lowered pellet count to 3-5 even (Gun currently shoots 8-10 pellets which makes no sense compared to every other sniper Rifle)

- made the shoot and scope mechanics closer to bolt action scopes (where you have to re-acquire the target after each shot)

- made the hit box of the fully charged shot smaller, so it is comparable to EVERY other sniper rifle in the game (Currently fully charged its a volley ball size hit box while everything else is dot size hit box)

Xervez
01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Still pretty OP but i prefer my Ranger personally.

A ranger with - recoil and grenadier is really nice, but without that it really has a good amount of upward recoil after each shot.

A ranger with overcharge active is extremely nice but you run out of ammo extremely quickly.

Questions why Trion even added the Cyclone since that gun is a crappier version of the Ranger and eats 5 ammo per fully charged shot? (fully charged takes longer then the Surge Bolter charge)

squidgod2000
01-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Charge weapons in general were just a mistake. There was no need to add a whole new class of weapons to the game before ironing out balance issues with other weapons (not that Trion seems to care about weapon balance or the PvP side of the game).

Xervez
01-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Charge weapons in general were just a mistake. There was no need to add a whole new class of weapons to the game before ironing out balance issues with other weapons (not that Trion seems to care about weapon balance or the PvP side of the game).

That's exactly what I've been saying all along, they never should've added the Charged Weapons in the first place, it was just a gimmick that has caused more issues ever since.