PDA

View Full Version : Socialize and Trade at The Hulker Cafe

Trader Tori
01-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Howdy!

The Hulker Cafe is my new Defiance-only trading and social site. Currently in alpha test you can list your available and wanted shields, weapons and mods. Share your Defiance life through status updates, images and YouTube links. Socialize through the blog and item comments. Explore all the items in Defiance through images and stats.

http://hulkercafe.com

Currently serving PC NA users the first beta in the coming weeks will offer support for all platforms and locations with filtered results of items just related to your server. All items can be handled this way as unlike most Defiance trading sites The Hulker Cafe is entirely database driven allowing you to filter items by synergy, nano and more.

Find that weapon you've been looking for with hundreds of rare or better items listed already then contact that character in-game. Accounts support multiple characters just like the game with individual lists for each. Share each character's story with their own custom url home page allowing for complete role-playing when wanted.

The site is in active development with lots more features rolling out in the coming weeks. In the meantime sign up and start sharing your Defiance experience today and shopping for those items you want.

Trader Tori
Proprietor

TheButcherPete
01-16-2014, 08:33 AM
ohmahgawd it's happening

I officially endorse HulkerCafe.com, and do business through it nearly every day. All sales are strictly scrip or trade based, no $$$ here. Prices are normally 5k scrip for a purple and 2k for a blue.

Visit today ! :D

Arsenic_Touch
01-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Another trading site when there's a perfectly usable trade forum?

TheButcherPete
01-16-2014, 08:35 AM

The trading post is drowned in WTT / WTB / WTS etc threads, Trion didn't bother to separate it so it wouldn't be chaos.

This website is short, sweet and to the point.

Shiveria
01-16-2014, 08:44 AM
how much do oranges normally go for? im curious for once i get up there in EGO

TheButcherPete
01-16-2014, 08:50 AM
While there is no set price (Trader Tori and his alts work on a sticker price system, maybe even for oranges) I work on a "Make offer" system, make me a legitimate offer and it's yours. Don't tell me you'll give me 20k when it has 40k in mods alone. (Just an example)

Tori build this website 100% by hand, with no external help (other than a few beta testers) it really is quite impressive. I think he's put more time and effort into this not-for-profit website than Trion has put into Defiance in nearly a year.

Trader Tori
01-16-2014, 09:36 AM
I get what you're saying Arsenic_Touch but that doesn't seem like a good way to deal with listing items available or wanted. Can you do this with a forum:

http://hulkercafe.com/resources/bw_example.jpg

Loads of different ways to interact even compare things side-by-side with more options coming!

Alexri
01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
If it's PC NA, post in PC NA, dont mislead the rest of us

EDIT: Great, they removed those forums. Brilliant.

TheButcherPete
01-16-2014, 12:46 PM

It's just PC-NA for the first alpha stage, we will add the other three servers in time.

four
01-16-2014, 12:46 PM

said it'll be available for all platforms too in a bit

QipQip
01-16-2014, 01:06 PM
While there is no set price (Trader Tori and his alts work on a sticker price system, maybe even for oranges) I work on a "Make offer" system, make me a legitimate offer and it's yours. Don't tell me you'll give me 20k when it has 40k in mods alone. (Just an example)

I think this is why people don't trade very much in defiance.Everyone wants to get the most money they can which is understandable.But as a buyer you feel like your getting ripped off.At least in a game with an auction house you can look at prices and start to get a feel for what things are worth.If you really want to make this site a success I would suggest making prices mandatory.I know it would be something I would use everyday if it did.

TheButcherPete
01-16-2014, 02:10 PM
I think this is why people don't trade very much in defiance.Everyone wants to get the most money they can which is understandable.But as a buyer you feel like your getting ripped off.At least in a game with an auction house you can look at prices and start to get a feel for what things are worth.If you really want to make this site a success I would suggest making prices mandatory.I know it would be something I would use everyday if it did.

Not at all, his sticker price is the base vendor price. People pay what they want to with me, sometimes they overpay, sometimes they don't. All I care about is repeat business. And business is good ;)

DaveyBoy
01-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Great!
One question, when will this be available to those who live in the UK?
Thanks.

Trader Tori
01-16-2014, 04:11 PM
While the site is available to all right now DaveyBoy in terms of access and browsing, it is only serving PC NA users in terms of listings.

PC EU, 360 NA, 360 EU, PS3 NA and PS3 EU support will be coming by the end of next week I just needed time to build up some Xbox 360 and PS3 characters so I could have items to test with rather than dummy data and also to deal with the unique needs of the console players who don't have easy screenshot tools for uploading images of their items.

I do need ambassadors for the various EU servers though!

Lillith Valerian
01-16-2014, 09:31 PM

I guess one person's 'perfectly usable' is another person's mind-numbing, horrible mess.

The site looks great, Tori. I hope it goes cross-platform, and works out well.

Nashtalia
01-16-2014, 09:43 PM
yeah, i just registered of said site, and i just read this thread that it is currently serving the NA-PC community, so i guess i will wait out until they are serving the xbox 360 - NA community

Maixx
01-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Something to think about.
We had this kind of tool on a clan website (an old clan last summer), and ran into a problm of people not updating their lists or worst they quit Defiance or the clan, after a time the site was flooded with items that were not available and eventually the trade tool was unusable.
That tool also lacked an edit feature so if one wanted to adjust the price on an item, they had to completely re-enter it, a real pain in the a**.

Trader Tori
01-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the replies and for checking out the site some quick answers to some of the posts:

QipQip: My characters (currently clubside [my main], Quinten Smythe and Casti Barbie) sell everything but purple mods for the marked value. Given that this number which appears in the upper right is twice what the vendor will pay I think it's a good deal but of course people are free to set their own standards. Purple mods are the exception given this last round of Epic Mod Hoardes were only available through bits, and thus real money.

Lillith: Cross-platform was designed-in from the beginning however there were a couple of factors that made me want to launch (and it is an alpha after all lol) with PC NA only: (1) at the time I only owned a copy of the PC version though I now own the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions as well and have been building my two ambassadors (Ambassador Joi on PS3 and Ambassador Skye on Xbox 360) this week. I have an Elgato Game Capture HD arriving this weekend so I can test screen capture versus smartphone/camera screen shots to see if I ned to alter my image upload process for console users and (2) there is a hidden feature on accounts as well at the moment: verification; this isn't a requirement but I want to offer the ability to "verify" an account exists so people know the name is searchable in-game and while I didn't launch with it I had planned to so I was focused solely on the game setup I could test that feature with.

Nashtalia: Look for multi-platform support in a week, hopefully Friday morning the 24th. I need to implement email password resets and the ability to change your account's server so people who pre-registered don't have to re-create their accounts. There will also be unique homepages for each server (as opposed to the current landing page which is more promotional than anything else). And in case you didn't notice each character has a unique platform/server-based url such as http://hulkercafe.com/pcna/Casti%20Barbie/items/ takes you straight to Casti Barbie's list of items. In your case if Nashtalia was your character name you'd get /360na/Nashtalia as a homepage to share when the update is rolled-out.

Maixx: All valid concerns that hopefully I have planned for. Every item added has a date and time stamp. Account logins are stamped as well. You can mark items as sold or traded with a note and that transaction is stamped and stored. Currently this is all invisible but I plan to offer (1) a filter on items based on their "added" date (2) a "check-in" email to any account that has listed items but hasn't logged into the site for say, a month? and (3) the site already has an edit feature for weapons and shields so images and notes can be updated any time; the same feature could be added for mods but as they are fixed and non-EGO-based I figured at least for now there was no need.

I hope that answers some of the questions people had, there is a lot more to come especially regarding clan support, auctions, reservations and more. The goal (as a new site blog post coming soon will lay out) is to have as complete a resource and second-screen experience as any game on the market in-place and as robust as possible before the second season launches.

hardy83
01-17-2014, 01:27 AM

Usable you say?
HA!

DanteYoda
01-17-2014, 03:14 AM
Very nice Trader Tori keep up the good work :D

KasperSheitup
01-17-2014, 07:41 AM
This looks really great and it seems like it's also well thought out.
Good job on this.

I'm on PC EU, can I make an account already?
Went to make one but was confused there were no way to select which server I'm on (I know it's coming) so I feared I would be put in PC NA as this is the only server existing on the site right now.

Etaew
01-17-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm always happy to see more people creating community sites, there aren't many of us left. I wish you the best of luck with your site, it does look rather pretty.

Some of these types of sites have existed before and failed.

Building your own community is difficult, drawing people away from existing forums onto somewhere they have to register again is tricky. Potentially starting out from a large clan internal trading and then involving more and more.

Achieving critical mass is very difficult thing to achieve, if there aren't enough people trading on the site, people will not register and use it.

I settled for writing features to enhance the forum trade section, with their storefronts and item images as I couldn't draw enough people towards my own system.

Trader Tori
01-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks KasperSheitup, and yes you can make an account today and yes you will be set to PC NA but my plan is to offer a "change platform/server" feature on the account page which will confirm your decision and then transfer any items along with your account and characters. When the multiple server/platform code is in place the new account form will have a select box to set your platform/server setting but I didn't want to confuse people by having it while there was no support for discerning where items were available.

I get what you're saying Etaew and I did my due diligence before starting the site back in November. None of the trading sites I looked at seemed as database-driven as what I was thinking of, either by virtue of no database lol or overcomplicated with more fields than you could really ask someone to bother filling out. By limiting things to EGO, Synergy and Nano and relying on screenshots I think I found a happy medium though some users have requested a way to add all stats and more as individual fields rather than my catch-all notes.

Ultimately I would love for the site to become heavily used but that won't sway me from adding all the features I have planned nor using it myself. I know that I am not alone in having already sold or traded dozens of items to a dozen different players so even with a small sample there is already success. Looking at the way things are done today I believe I can offer not only a better solution but a reverse capability for those who want to hedge their bets. At the end of the day sure, I'd like Hulker Cafe to become the sole place people turn to for in-game trading needs, but I'm not gonna take my ball and go home if that doesn't happen lol

I wanted to get a quick bit of feedback if any console players are reading (excuse repetitive shouting)

ATTENTION CONSOLE PLAYERS

I got my Elgato Game Capture HD today and have already used it to grab images of various weapons to use for testing and the quality is comparable to the PC shots already on the site. The process takes a bit of work since at 720P you may need three images to combine for a final product shot. Is requiring this of the user okay? Can anyone think of a way the site could be used to do the image combinations rather than needing an image editor yourself? For those without capture cards who may be using phones or tablets to photograph their screens there are plenty of image stitching apps so expecting that process to be handled by the user, does that work?

Just looking for any concerns console players might have regarding advertising their items as the tools aren't right there like on PC.

Vendor Valerie
01-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Bump up to the top for this vastly superior service!

hardy83
01-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Made a wishlist. Would be cool if there was a notification or link/symbol showing you that the weapon (your desired EGO or below) is listed as sale from a user.
As well as said user being notified by a notification or link/symbol if their weapon is on someones wishlist.

And an easy way to message each other to set up the sale.

Very well designed website. You know your HTML and Java. :P

Also a way to link your wishlists would be cool.

Don't know how hard any of that would be to set up. My knowledge of web development is VEEEEERY limited lol.

DIS
01-18-2014, 11:01 PM
This looks like a great idea and off to a great start. This site, if utilized properly and shared with others could very well save this game. I think Trion should definitely hire you and pay you to upkeep and run this site. I love when a player goes the extra mile to help out a game they love. If I can be of any assistance to you, let me know. Not sure what I can do to help, but I'm here if you need me. I play on Xbox 360 and will be on Xbox One when Trion gets Defiance going there.

Thank you again, great work so far, keep it up.

Vendor Valerie
01-18-2014, 11:09 PM
This looks like a great idea and off to a great start. This site, if utilized properly and shared with others could very well save this game. I think Trion should definitely hire you and pay you to upkeep and run this site. I love when a player goes the extra mile to help out a game they love. If I can be of any assistance to you, let me know. Not sure what I can do to help, but I'm here if you need me. I play on Xbox 360 and will be on Xbox One when Trion gets Defiance going there.

Thank you again, great work so far, keep it up.

I took a rough tally of items before this thread was made, and the site has increased 10% in size since then. 10% doesn't sound like much, but we're touching 900 weapons, 100 shields and 300 mods.

Trader Tori built this website completely by hand, with 3 or 4 people beta testing it (including me) and I gotta hand it to him, it's damn good.

DIS
01-18-2014, 11:14 PM
I especially love the simplicity of it. No need for fanciness or shiny s*** everywhere, just straight to the point, clean and simple. If there is or will be a way to donate money towards Tori's efforts I would say donating to HulkerCafe.com is a much better use of your money than donating to TrionDevsDrinkingOnTheJob.unorganized.

Trader Tori
01-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the bump, Valerie!

As to you hardy83, I've got you covered and more but...it's just the alpha! Sorry, as a top-down developer I have to fight my instincts to wait for everything to be done and get something out there. I still need to add a blog post about the roadmap but that would get in the way of me thinking about more features instead of implementation lol

More specifically there will be wishlist/market matches on-site, email notifications and more. As to the messaging I have a question for you: I set up messaging using the more modern "conversation" format where there's just one message and infinite replies. I planned to add a button on the product page to message the seller/trader which would link the item to the message for private discussions in addition to a comment thread on the item for public discussion. Both would generate notification bubbles on the menu bar that new stuff was there to be read. Does that cover what you were hoping for or would you do things differently or add something to those features?

Thanks for the kind words and volunteering DTS. The most I can really ask of anyone is to just use the site. If all you want to do is browse for things and never create an account just work stuff out in-game, that's fine. But if you really want to get involved and promote the game like I want to you'll create an account and share images and videos and comments about your play. I take the joke about "it's Facebook for Defiance" as a compliment, I want people to want to share their game here like people share their lives on other social media sites. Whether or not you roleplay you still go on an adventure and often things will amuse you from emergent gameplay, why not grab some video or a screenshot or two and share what happened? Others looking for fun in the game or just thinking about trying it out have a place to see the misadventures of fellow or potential players. Just wait for the story feature and tag support and people thinking of checking things out will have an infinite array of choices to delve into the world of Defiance.

And yes there will be tagging everywhere including items so you can hype that "triple crit bonus" that people seem to like.

hardy83
01-19-2014, 01:55 PM
More specifically there will be wishlist/market matches on-site, email notifications and more. As to the messaging I have a question for you: I set up messaging using the more modern "conversation" format where there's just one message and infinite replies. I planned to add a button on the product page to message the seller/trader which would link the item to the message for private discussions in addition to a comment thread on the item for public discussion. Both would generate notification bubbles on the menu bar that new stuff was there to be read. Does that cover what you were hoping for or would you do things differently or add something to those features?

Sounds like it does. Just a quick way to message a seller or buyer to set up an in-game meet to buy/sell.
You're putting a lot of effort into this. lol It's really nice, but wow man. :P Good site to list on a resume I suppose, or a productive hobby.
Unlike my hobbies which include reading news and complaining about it.

Shame there's no good way to promote it in-game. The more people who use this the better.
I guess when the new UI comes in DLC3, people could spam promote the site. lol

Vendor Valerie
01-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Sounds like it does. Just a quick way to message a seller or buyer to set up an in-game meet to buy/sell.
You're putting a lot of effort into this. lol It's really nice, but wow man. :P Good site to list on a resume I suppose, or a productive hobby.
Unlike my hobbies which include reading news and complaining about it.

Shame there's no good way to promote it in-game. The more people who use this the better.
I guess when the new UI comes in DLC3, people could spam promote the site. lol

I already do :D though I don't do Ozz level spamming of it. I don't wanna get muted by everyone.

D351
01-19-2014, 05:30 PM
I look forward to using for xbox NA... Good work.

Trader Tori
01-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Since you guys have been so nice, depending on sleep, I will push an update to support all platform and server combinations tomorrow night.

At the top level when not logged in the additional filter of "platform/server" will be added as will a homepage dedicated to each server/platform combination with latest items added, photos and videos just like the current home page but without all the promotional frills. If you are logged in all pages will automatically be filtered with your server/platform setting.

The other features I had planned for Friday are still on track but I put them on the backburner based on feedback that seems to want server/platform support as soon as possible. As soon as I have tested and verified with all of my accounts I will push the update and make another announcement here.

maverick07
01-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Just checked out this site. Very nice :) looking forward to seeing it expand out to the other consoles as well!

crystal030405
01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
send me a amessage when its working for xbox na

lokiscamaro
01-19-2014, 09:21 PM
awesome resource...now maybe ill sell some of my epic collection to players and not the vending machine. thx.

Trader Tori
01-19-2014, 10:51 PM
I posted this reply in the thread in the PC NA WTS/WTB forum but it bears asking here as well and was in response to Logain mentioning he had set up a storefront on the site and the use of the word "storefront" got me thinking...

Would a customizable storefront be a feature worth adding in addition to the current bland item list? Something where you could mark items as featured or show some of the items in a slider or other features to make it look like a storefront? It would be easy enough to add /server/character/store as another page of a character profile.

DopedGoat
01-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Great Idea, although I am EU Xbox so no access yet :(

Can I suggest items that are added are automatically removed after a week and preferably have an "auction/buying time left" so it won't get too clogged as someone stated above. Also I don't see any price tags anywhere?

Looking forward to accessing it when available on other platforms.

Trader Tori
01-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm putting the finishing touches on the quick-and-dirty multiple-platform-and-server support right now DopedGoat. At worst it will be available in the morning (major URL rewriting changes mean I don't want to have things wonky in the evening if that's when I finish up). By quick-and-dirty I only mean that I'm taking some shortcuts to get some pages updated now rather than the rewrites I had planned this week.

As for your questions: the reason not to have an expiration date is because I took a different tact than the sites I had looked at previously and tried to think how to service the entire Defiance community rather than just higher-EGO level players. Wouldn't it have been nice back when you were 100 EGO to have access to a blue or purple weapon with decent bonuses to help the early going? And what about even the 1000 EGO people who often focus on a handful of weapon types and now that they're ready to try the others wouldn't it be helpful for there to be a selection to haggle for? While I will add a "posted date" to show the age of a listing I have had weapons go after a month or more as well as the same day I added a listing. A good weapon is just that to somebody so artificially setting a shelf-life would either (a) add more work for the user who has to re-list and item or (b) deny some new user a full range of choices just because they found the site a day after some good options fell off.

Now there are a lot of features coming and one will be an eBay-like auction system. It will be optional (as will some other listing features) and like eBay have a Buy It Now setting if you like, and those will be timed and while in auction not listed on the current pages (or listed in a separate table denoting auction availability).

As for prices early on it was suggested given the "no real money" rule that having prices could be confusing since the site cannot be used to complete actual deals and part of my mission was to encourage socializing so each character has an About page on their profile where they can make general comments about their sales and trade policies. I sell all items at their marked value (double vendor buy-back I believe) so all the work that went in to clipping 500+ images seems enough rather than also typing that value into a field. I'm more than amenable enough to add a price field and any other fields people think would help I just like the idea of "hey that's a cool weapon let's see what they want for it" social kickstart. Others please weigh in.

Please keep all the comments and suggestions coming. While I don't ever see an end-game for a project I'm hoping to have all my ideas implemented before the Second Season so there's plenty of time to work out any other features and requests between now and June. And I sincerely appreciate everyone thinking of how to make the site better for them and everyone else who loves playing this game.

Vendor Valerie
01-21-2014, 11:47 AM
:D HulkerCafe.com is now open to ALL Defiance servers, EU included!

Logain
01-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Awesome! If you are on PC-NA check out My HulkerCafe Store ( http://hulkercafe.com/pcna/Logain/items ).

Trader Tori
01-24-2014, 10:07 AM
I have implemented notifications on the site finally. So when you log in if anyone has sent you a message you'll see a count bubble in the header next to your character's picture. The site will also try to email you when you get a new message with a link to the conversation.

ulquiorra72
01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Tori quick question I registered a account for your new forum iI saw your the only to post anything as iI also had difficulty finding how to post items and set up anything yet, is this temporary or am I missing something

Trader Tori
01-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Howdy ulquiorra72 sorry for the confusion you are not alone. I think I introduced a problem when I switched logins to go to a server-specific home page rather than your character's homepage. Basically everything you want to do is on your character's page which you can access by clicking the icon head in the menu bar. From there you can edit your images, manage your have and want lists and post updates.

I added a help page under the Community menu but I think I screwed myself by not having new accounts go straight to their character page on first login. Guess I should change that lol

DaveyBoy
03-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Since the HC went live I've had nothing but problems trying to login to the site. :(

clubside
03-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Unfortunately that fix I implemented for you was only made on the production server so it got overwritten with the last update. I have now added it to both production and development so it shouldn't happen in the future. Let me know if you have any problems logging in now.

MirPis
03-03-2014, 09:49 AM
In the catalog store is no one kind of "Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles":
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3280047362096383351/5C42E8E24F99D0BC414007C329FB1BE8C11936C0/
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3280049265353917504/BF377653435B1C84E6E78CE7204C82F63189A643/

clubside
03-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Since you didn't include the name of the weapon I can't check the list but given the synergy is Nano-Executioner I'm guessing it is either a Faction weapon or from Extra Life. Since none of those items are tradeable they are not currently in the database. I set things up to support non-tradeable items but as it was a low priority I have yet to enter any of the data.

If this is a tradeable item let me know the name and source and I'll check it out.

MirPis
03-03-2014, 10:38 AM
"Votan auto-bolter" He shoots almost silently. Source is unknown. Presumably box.

clubside
03-03-2014, 10:49 AM
I see it available from the Soleptor Enterprises vendor but it is untradeable. If you have a tradeable version then it is a glitch as no Faction weapons are supposed to be tradeable. I do have a few rarities of this captured to be added when I get to the untradeable items.

Depending on whether the preliminary patch notes for DLC4 are true I may have to get to this sooner rather than later.