PDA

View Full Version : New blog: Let's Chat!

dahanese
01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Today we have a dev blog from Trick detailing the upcoming chat improvements to Defiance!

Enjoy. :)

http://community.defiance.com/en/2014/01/16/lets-chat/

DaveyBoy
01-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi,
Looking forward to it!
Can you (or anyone reading this) tell me the difference between "Zone" and "Area" chat?

Many thanks.
Dave.

Arsenic_Touch
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
About bloody time.

Is this going to work out of the box or will we have another case of not updating properly and getting old messages?

Now all it needs is item linking and right click on names to bring up a quick menu interface.

Hi,
Looking forward to it!
Can you (or anyone reading this) tell me the difference between "Zone" and "Area" chat?

Many thanks.
Dave.

Area only applies to the people you can see on your map, all the purple/blue dots.
Zone applies to everyone on the shard you're currently playing on.

QipQip
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
I see an Asian themed costume coming to a bit store near you soon.

Arsenic_Touch
01-16-2014, 03:22 PM

I saw that too and thought "great, now we have pandas."

TheButcherPete
01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Man, you guys actually made a new Asian themed hat.

facepalm.

Bonehead
01-16-2014, 03:25 PM
"the team has been talking to ark hunters about the good, the bad, and the ugly of our chat interface and working to overhaul it"

Which ark hunters were you talking with if you don't mind me asking?

Xervez
01-16-2014, 03:26 PM
We also need a Combat Log Tab and Damage Test Dummies (shooting range could work) like in Rift.

So we need

-item-linking
-right click on names quick menu interface
-combat log tab

Other
-Test Dummies (shooting range)

Arsenic_Touch
01-16-2014, 03:34 PM
We also need a Combat Log Tab and Damage Test Dummies (shooting range could work) like in Rift.

So we need

-item-linking
-right click on names quick menu interface
-combat log tab

Other
-Test Dummies (shooting range)

Would love these things.... so much.

Manstan
Looking at the page, that is the chat we had in the alpha. And if there isn't world chat, then it's just a cosmetic improvement.
A good improvement, but does it include a world chat?

TheButcherPete
We need ingame item hyperlinking and URL hyperlinking in this chat, or it'll be more of the same uselessness.

Arsenic_Touch
01-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Looking at the page, that is the chat we had in the alpha. And if there isn't world chat, then it's just a cosmetic improvement.
A good improvement, but does it include a world chat?

That's what the zone chat is. For everyone on that particular shard.

Manstan
01-16-2014, 03:39 PM
That's what the zone chat is. For everyone on that particular shard.

Zone chat has only ever been the immediate area, as in if I am in in madera you can see my chat, but in sanfran you can't. Unless they changed it.

Atticus Batman
01-16-2014, 03:40 PM
"the team has been talking to ark hunters about the good, the bad, and the ugly of our chat interface and working to overhaul it"

Well I know several people on Xbox have complained to Trick when they see him in-game, about the crap chat and other issues they have.

dahanese
01-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Too many to specifically name. I'm sure you remember some of the huge threads on this topic - those were the starting points for the team!

Amack
01-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Another thing moving in the right direction.

Shadow Andreas
01-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Has the voice chat been improved? Previously when we did our death march....if we had more than like 5 people in any chat...we were randomly broken up (player A could hear and talk to players B and C....but B and C could not talk or hear each other).

Bonehead
01-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Another thing moving in the right direction.

Fingers crossed.(in a good way)

Zigo Sid
01-16-2014, 03:47 PM
I was hoping to see modern samurais, not cliché ones like that ...

Etaew
01-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Looks good, but we will need hands-on to know for sure.

Manstan
01-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Well I hope you all enjoy it, I doubt I'll still be here come February.

Odessa
01-16-2014, 04:30 PM
It looks great! I am glad we'll be able to send a shout out to people in the Warmaster instance to extract and jump back in.

Sliverbaer
01-16-2014, 04:42 PM
w00t

Looking good. Glad things got sorted out for functionality on consoles as well as PC.

Nefarious
01-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Chat looks cool, I personally never had a problem with it.

Now that outfit, now that's cool.

TheButcherPete
01-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Well I hope you all enjoy it, I doubt I'll still be here come February.

Same here, unfortunately.

Trader Tori
01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
As I posted on the blog:

Is the old chat window remaining because I don't see how we can scroll back through conversations with this interface.

The most important changes to chat for me aren't addressed: the ability to copy text from chat (or click links), the ability to freeze the scroll in a long chat (if you've been on for a while or just want to read longer recent posts without it constantly jumping to the bottom with new posts), and on the PC the ability to set voice to go out of the headset while regular sound continues to play through speakers.

So while none of this appeals to me in the slightest if others are on board great for them, but on the PC we don't have the same limited screen real estate and have different needs.

squidgod2000
01-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Man, you guys actually made a new Asian themed hat.

facepalm.

Leave no trope or stereotype unexploited.

-Trion

Ungolcap
01-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Does the chat window actually work for people all the time? For me, it seems to stop updating after a bit on every log in. I know people are still talking in chat though because when I open up the map there is a tiny chat bar there that seems to still be working. Unlike the actual chat window.

I don't think I've actually talked to anyone in game since I started playing.

Jet1337
01-16-2014, 05:41 PM
The chat system should've looked like that on day 1.

Arsenic_Touch
01-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Does the chat window actually work for people all the time? For me, it seems to stop updating after a bit on every log in. I know people are still talking in chat though because when I open up the map there is a tiny chat bar there that seems to still be working. Unlike the actual chat window.

I don't think I've actually talked to anyone in game since I started playing.

No, that was one of the main issues with the chat that it stopped working for people or didn't work at all.

Nefarious
01-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Whats up with ppl talking bad about the outfit? The Kasa is one of the coolest hats ever made.

Not Defiance concept arts: but how is this not cool?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QJZ2SWUp0G0/UnsxztLv2pI/AAAAAAAABcA/hMHnIv1NSBQ/s1600/samurai_wasteland_outfits.jpg

crasher
01-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I saw that too and thought "great, now we have pandas."

It seems like a logical question to ask here, so I'll give it a whirl.....:

Does this mean that the new 'Race' is 'Asian'?

Just wondering....
:)

Manstan
01-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Some how I doubt it is that far off ;)

TalynOne
01-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Seems like you just moved around things on the screen to make them more console friendly, bleh who cares, it's another case of fixing things people weren't complaining about.

The real issue with chat is that the chat preview would not show new messages as they came in but had stale messages from hours ago. Also only private chat has an audio cue so it's very hard to notice when a chat came in. It would be really nice to add audio cues when certain types of messages come in.

When DLC2 was introduced chat was also broken in there, people had to use the "/team" command to chat inside a Warmaster and other people had to know to open the full chat window to see those messages. In the new chat system make sure that CHAT INSIDE A WARMASTER IS BY DEFAULT VISIBLE, otherwise there's no point.

We didn't need a new UI, we needed fixes to bugs in the current UI.

Nefarious
01-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Don't listen to their silly notions Trion. The hats are cool. They fit this odd alternate future of wasteland earth nicely.

Its the new Cowboy hat for the New Frontier.

DanteYoda
01-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Zone chat has only ever been the immediate area, as in if I am in in madera you can see my chat, but in sanfran you can't. Unless they changed it.

Zone = Whole Shard.
Area = Players in the vicinity of you.

Too many to specifically name. I'm sure you remember some of the huge threads on this topic - those were the starting points for the team!
Thanks so much for listening to us, we needed a social side of the game bad, its hard to invite new people to Defiance with no way to communicate.

N3gativeCr33p
01-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Its the new Cowboy hat for the New Frontier.

Yeah, I kind of agree. My Irath won't be wearing one, but different strokes for different folks. Seeing the hat makes me want to see more of what's going to be included in the content.

hardy83
01-17-2014, 01:25 AM

Most likely in relation to the 7th Legion with the leader, I believe, being Japanese or something. Most likely going full ninja/samurai with his group.

Of course it would be expected to get weird stuff like that. lol
The Thorn Liro prefer a mask, the 7th Legion prefer hats. :P

As for the chat. I want to see it in action before I make any judgement. Pictures do nothing for me.

duction
01-17-2014, 02:31 AM
Yea as someone said earlier, voice chat... The horrid bug where particular clan mates couldn't hear others talking but could be heard by others etc.. Also some sound very very quiet even though others can hear them at standard volume.

Hope this gets addressed, nothing like not hearing a clan mate talk but others having a conversation with them and you talk over them as they are talking also.

Valethar
01-17-2014, 03:14 AM

Two suggestions.

1) Put it on the test server so we can test it in a relatively safe environment before it goes live. Past efforts to 'fix' chat have been spectacular failures thus far.

2) Walk down the hall and ask the Rift UI team to show the Defiance team how to build a proper chat interface. This has been suggested since Alpha, but I expect it will still be ignored. The starting point should have been when the Alpha testers told you what was wrong with the chat we have now, rather than waiting for numerous threadnaughts after release, and still not managing to get it right.

Valethar
01-17-2014, 03:19 AM
Whats up with ppl talking bad about the outfit? The Kasa is one of the coolest hats ever made.

I'd rock that look with a Casti blade. I'd like the option to have the hat or the mask separately as well, though. :cool:

Etaew
01-17-2014, 03:22 AM
I have to admit that picture is pretty awesome.

DanteYoda
01-17-2014, 03:25 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QJZ2SWUp0G0/UnsxztLv2pI/AAAAAAAABcA/hMHnIv1NSBQ/s1600/samurai_wasteland_outfits.jpg
I know its cliche but i'd really love some futuristic Ninja Costumes, i'd buy them in a heart beat.

Blondin
01-17-2014, 04:05 AM

Yeah but a hat made too much time, just take a look at panda in wow they have that hat...
What I'm trying to say is that Defiance's lore is so big, why the hell do they have to create the same old overdone asian theme outfit, samurai and ninja shtako?

They could have done something new, something original, but no...

duction
01-17-2014, 04:14 AM
Don't care either way, I'm happy to go hatless lol

agiantmudcrab
01-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Good to see improvements. I hope everyone enjoys. =D

Zugo
01-17-2014, 08:04 AM
The chat seems like an improvement.

The new hat reminds me of Desert Punk.
http://www.bubblews.com/assets/images/news/1540526536_1363110590.jpg

N3gativeCr33p
01-17-2014, 08:16 AM
The new hat reminds me of Desert Punk.

When I first saw the picture yesterday it reminded me of Big Trouble in Little China and Mortal Kombat.

Sonic7870
01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
The new chat does look impressive it will be interesting to see it in action

Nefarious
01-21-2014, 01:19 PM

I would like to correct myself, these are indeed Defiance concept arts.

rebtattoo
01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Two suggestions.

1) Put it on the test server so we can test it in a relatively safe environment before it goes live. Past efforts to 'fix' chat have been spectacular failures thus far.

2) Walk down the hall and ask the Rift UI team to show the Defiance team how to build a proper chat interface. This has been suggested since Alpha, but I expect it will still be ignored. The starting point should have been when the Alpha testers told you what was wrong with the chat we have now, rather than waiting for numerous threadnaughts after release, and still not managing to get it right.Chat for consoles is a completely different monster. What works in Rift most likely doesn't work with xbox and ps3. I'm pretty sure that thought did cross their minds at some point.

crasher
01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Chat for consoles is a completely different monster. What works in Rift most likely doesn't work with xbox and ps3. I'm pretty sure that thought did cross their minds at some point.

You have a very subtle and dry wit, sir.
I'll bet you were actually trying to keep a straight face while you typed that.

rebtattoo
01-21-2014, 01:48 PM
You have a very subtle and dry wit, sir.
I'll bet you were actually trying to keep a straight face while you typed that.Am I really becoming that transparent? LOL

DanteYoda
01-21-2014, 06:23 PM
When I first saw the picture yesterday it reminded me of Big Trouble in Little China and Mortal Kombat.

We so need these
http://i40.tinypic.com/3022a6q.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/1jt2mr.jpg

crasher
01-21-2014, 07:25 PM
We so need these
http://i40.tinypic.com/3022a6q.jpg
As much as I love that movie:
Thats the moment I quit the game.

DanteYoda
01-22-2014, 03:32 AM

:eek: really i think they'd be Epic :( you are no fun at all...

Tsort
01-22-2014, 04:45 AM
Giant steroïd machine-gun-wielding blue smurfs weren't too cheesy for you then?

Atticus Batman
01-22-2014, 05:36 PM

We also have weapon weilding monkees!

Here ya go.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/ff/dc/c3ffdc521585827dab53f8d952a4a1e4.jpg

crasher
01-22-2014, 08:32 PM
They were close, but you found what defined my thresh-hold.

DanteYoda
01-22-2014, 11:34 PM
We also have weapon weilding monkees!

Here ya go.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/ff/dc/c3ffdc521585827dab53f8d952a4a1e4.jpg

Pretty sure that's a Sensoth like Torc

Atticus Batman
01-23-2014, 03:40 AM
Pretty sure that's a Sensoth like Torc

Exactly, a weapon toting MONKEY.

melkathi
01-23-2014, 06:03 AM

Ape, not monkey. Be careful that the Librarian of Unseen University doesn't hear you make that mix-up.

melkathi
01-23-2014, 06:04 AM
We so need these

Hmmm, is that the new "shock" EGO-Power?

Yrkul
01-23-2014, 06:22 AM
They could have done something new, something original, but no...
Oh, you mean like a zombie invasion?

Ape, not monkey. Be careful that the Librarian of Unseen University doesn't hear you make that mix-up.
Drat! You beat me to it.

DanteYoda
01-23-2014, 06:28 AM

:D they are a bit warmaster like.

Hmmm, is that the new "shock" EGO-Power?

I'd use it but i must have the hat as well :)

duction
01-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Hat looks like a lamp shade my Grandmar owns

DanteYoda
01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Hat looks like a lamp shade my Grandmar owns

It does its Awesome.

N3gativeCr33p
01-23-2014, 08:13 AM

Those DAMN, DIRTY APES! lol