PDA

View Full Version : Charge Blade melee build? Viable?

Raging Raven
01-22-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi there, I've seen a few videos about melee characters and read the old Charge Blade guide.
After looking at the stats I can see that they have been increased (I read old threads with old and lower stats so that's my guess).
Obviously there's ennemies you just can't fight in melee (since it's already a pain in ranged if you don't abuse of the covers at your disposal). Tankers and Volge Warriors for instance.
I do wonder if Trion made melee more useful/viable or is it the same as before?
I love Sniping ennemies too, and the fact you can go sneaky with it (thanks to the deaf IA xD), but because of hellbugs I think getting an assault rifle would be better as it can cover short-mid to long range.

So Arkhunters, what can you tell me about it?

firemist
01-22-2014, 06:42 AM
I ve taken on and killed both tankers and Volge with my blade, after a bit of prepping with either a springer or a surge sniper weapon, no problem. I have attacked Viscera with my blade in a group fight but I am not sure if it s been effective since I have not seen a critical kill message. But I do see hit points being registered.

Slayer Slayn
01-22-2014, 07:12 AM
I haven't ever bothered with the charge sword but melee is a life saver if you get caught between reloads on a long reload weapon. also there are a lot of melee perks to pick from so a melee build isn't out of the question. but I would wait to see what kind of melee weapons come out with DLC3 (since its the obligatory samurai dlc)as that may increase the weapon options possibly affecting what shield you use as well.

Jacomo
01-22-2014, 07:57 AM
As the Charge Blade and melee fan, I was thinking about this and come to conclusion, that melee build highly excels only in certain situations and in others proves hard to execute. It is epicly useful against normal mobs and some elites, but proves useless on boss fights and tougher enemies. I guess that is a side effect of MMOFPS, where the game has to be challening in different ways than an ordinary MMORPG. If Devs are to make the melee build viable, it could happen to be slightly OP, because the melee user would need his defenses tremendously boosted and thus overcoming the main challenging aspect of MMOFPS, which is squishiness of our characters.
This game is full of optional weapons, like for some serious DPS on Warmaster, you take Assault rifle, everything else is a loss of DPS. Well, let's see, if Devs keep it this trend or change it and let players play their way.
For starters, when fighting tough enemies in melee, I would recommend armor and health boost perks and it is also important to learn how to dodge, then you can solo even Volge.

Bakku
01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?123234-Recap-Charge-Blades

This thread is very useful if you want to play with your charge blade.

I don't care if it's sub-par in a lot of situations, I enjoy it. Especially good on raiders and mutants, but you can make it work for Afflicted, 99ers, Dark Matter, some Volge... I do not suggest using it against Hellbugs or Scrappers. I also like trying it out in PvP, clearly not as good as the cloak+shotgunners who come up behind you and instakill... If we could use the charge attack without dropping out of cloak I think we'd have ourselves an awesomely viable stealth assassin option.

Slayer Slayn
01-22-2014, 08:17 PM
they posted on the defiance site earlier today saying that a new Votan/ Earthtech shield and a new melee weapon was being released with 7th legion to help you decimate your enemies. or something along those lines. so it could be a really high output shied for those close encounters with enemies like the volge.