PDA

View Full Version : How does it look with longevity?

Revovovo
01-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Hey, so I just found out about the game (yeah, I am late). And I am kind of ready to spend some money on buying atleast the basic game. But my only problem is, is the game going to last? Will they stop releasing updates/new things once the DLCs are done?

Thanks in advance.

Manstan
01-23-2014, 03:10 PM
What there is of it is worth the base price; if you can still get it for $10. but it is questionable if the game lasts long enough to get out the presently proposed 5 DLCs. In a year they have released 2, and they are mostly cosmetics; a few missions and game options but little else.
That is the PC version.

N3gativeCr33p
01-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Will they stop releasing updates/new things once the DLCs are done?

Regrettably, this is where my money on the table is.

Overtkill21
01-23-2014, 03:48 PM

It was weird I kept asking my Magic 8 Ball "Will Trion completely abandon the game once 'DLC' 5 is released?"

It kept answering, 1083 times in a row: "It is certain"

The next time I asked it threw up blue stuff and disintegrated.

rebtattoo
01-23-2014, 03:54 PM
I reckon it depends on your definition of longevity. I have played the game just about every night since the beginning of July.

TheOz
01-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Agreed.

And The servers will be shut down soon after the Second Season of the show airs.
The ratings for the show tanked toward the end so the second season will be its last.
With no show they won't support the game anymore. And why should they?
It didn't sell well AND no one is playing it so they aren't getting any microtransactions to support the game.

The servers will be gone somewhere around 9/9/14, which I think is perfect timing.

Revovovo
01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Hmm, so it is not even worth getting it for as cheap as 10 dollars. I am sure I would get my 10 dollars back in the long run, but seeing how dead the game is, it is better not to bother, atleast it looks like it.

CyrusKhane
01-23-2014, 04:20 PM
You can find Defi at Gamestop (not sure of your nationality so this may not apply) for three dollars. At that price, for the fun you'll manage to squeeze out of it, it's worth it. I wouldn't buy any dlc though, you're not missing much.

Revovovo
01-23-2014, 04:23 PM
The cheapest I can get it is around 10 dollars.

Bonehead
01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Hey, so I just found out about the game (yeah, I am late). And I am kind of ready to spend some money on buying atleast the basic game. But my only problem is, is the game going to last? Will they stop releasing updates/new things once the DLCs are done?

Thanks in advance.

While I have always had the greatest respect for the magic 8 ball ( I had one in 1963) there is really no way to know how long the game will last. If you buy it now it will almost certainly be around long enough for you to become tired of playing it. It is pretty fun and well worth the base price. After playing a while you can choose weather to get dlcs or the season pass. There have been doomsayers on these forums from the beginning just like any other forum for any other game.
Play the PC trial if you're on pc and then make the call.
If you are on ps3 you might not want to bother, X box is some what better but the game is less stable on consoles.
Good luck and have fun.

CyrusKhane
01-23-2014, 04:26 PM
At that price, I'd still say you'll get your money's worth out of it. I paid 60 for it at launch, plus 50 for the season pass. I regret the pass, but I still enjoy the game.

Bonehead
01-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Hmm, so it is not even worth getting it for as cheap as 10 dollars. I am sure I would get my 10 dollars back in the long run, but seeing how dead the game is, it is better not to bother, atleast it looks like it.

Well worth 10 bucks and the game is far from dead.

angryjones
01-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Give Defiance a Try, but my opinion probably won't be around this Time next year

TheOz
01-23-2014, 04:48 PM

I didn't say that. $10 is worth playing what I find to be a VERY fun Third Person Shooter. I have 30 days played since day 1. The game has many faults and that is why its life span will be WAY shorter than it should be.

If you enjoy TPSs and you don't mind it being a, now, very isolated experience the 10 will be well worth your while. If for no other reason to see what could have been if just a few things about Defiance were different and it had been successful. For instance, what if Comcast had put the show on NBC and not SyFy.

Vendor Valerie
01-23-2014, 06:02 PM
I have two Defiance accounts, both bought for $7.49 each, and I have the two DLCs on one.

It's a decent value, so long as you're not active on the forums. Doing so is known to cause hostility towards idiots near and far.

DanteYoda
01-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Honestly it depends on you as a player, what i mean is if your the type to blow through the story and side missions then get bored you probably will not like Defiance.

If on the other hand you like to do the same content over and over to get items and better scores, do all the pursuits for customization options and enjoy the game for the games sake then yes you'll love Defiance.

I feel Defiance only gives out what you put into it.. so like i said, its up to you as a player.

Manstan
01-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Honestly it depends on you as a player, what i mean is if your the type to blow through the story and side missions then get bored you probably will not like Defiance.

Not true. I liked it while I was blowing through the missions. But arkfalls and such get boring quick.
Honestly, I've gotten more then my monies worth out of it; $3.71.

DanteYoda
01-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Not true. I liked it while I was blowing through the missions. But arkfalls and such get boring quick.
Honestly, I've gotten more then my monies worth out of it; $3.71.

Agree but i mean those types of player that see the "game is the storyline" types, once the storyline is finished they move on, this game has a lot more to offer if you put the effort into it.

Arkfalls are repetitious but each one is slightly different because we play them different, the sandbox type game keeps me busy for hours with emergencies using different weapons in different situations etc.

Manstan
01-23-2014, 09:09 PM
It depends on what sort of compeltionest you are. In LOTRO I want to do all the quests, but I'm not too worried about the deeds.
With this once you finish the missions the rest is circular playing. Which to me amounts to a dog chasing it's tail. Keeps the dog busy but doesn't amount to much. At some point all you are doing is running around doing repeatables to get the rep to buy better weapons to get the rep to buy better weapons ...
It's called grinding, something I try to avoid.
Now finding all the data recorders is another matter lol ;)

DanteYoda
01-23-2014, 09:22 PM
It depends on what sort of compeltionest you are. In LOTRO I want to do all the quests, but I'm not too worried about the deeds.
With this once you finish the missions the rest is circular playing. Which to me amounts to a dog chasing it's tail. Keeps the dog busy but doesn't amount to much. At some point all you are doing is running around doing repeatables to get the rep to buy better weapons to get the rep to buy better weapons ...
It's called grinding, something I try to avoid.
Now finding all the data recorders is another matter lol ;)

I guess you could see it as grinding, i relate Defiance to Skyrim, of course in a weak sense, the base game is the same each time but there are a million other things you can do while your there, in Defiance the fun is what you make of it, its not 100% forced into one aspect like say Call of Duty or Metro Last light, in Defiance you have at least some options outside of the linear story.

Trader Tori
01-23-2014, 10:36 PM
A lot of negativity here per usual.

I'd say you'd have to hate third-person shooters and/or open-world games to NOT get $10 worth of fun from the game.

As for longevity I think that will be answered after the second season of the show launches and we see if a second Season Pass is announced along with it. No Season Pass announcement and I'd be worried about how much longer after the show's second season they stay committed. Also if they announce Xbox One and/or PS4 ports that would be a good sign. I know nothing of their infrastructure costs so I can only speculate but they can't be very high so any sign of continued development through ports and DLC will be the true indicator of their commitment to continue the game.

TwwiX
01-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Looks elsewhere. This game's as good as dead. The PC version, anyway. Free to play is inevitable. It's just a matter of time at this point.

N3gativeCr33p
01-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Also if they announce Xbox One and/or PS4 ports that would be a good sign.

Indeed... and if it were offered on the PS4, I would download it in a second. Doesn't even matter to me that I would have to start off from scratch, since I'm currently playing on the 360.

Free To Play automatically means a game is dead? Try telling that to DCUO.

Manstan
01-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Looks elsewhere. This game's as good as dead. The PC version, anyway. Free to play is inevitable. It's just a matter of time at this point.

Dead? Must have gotten in on the wrong shard last night. I was at a major arkfall last night that was so swamped with players I just went up on a hill and watch the action. Just way to much going on for me to get a shot off at anything.
Thing is some people enter the game in an empty shard/layer/what ever it's called here and assume the game is empty. Just log off then back on.

Storm58
01-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Agree but i mean those types of player that see the "game is the storyline" types, once the storyline is finished they move on, this game has a lot more to offer if you put the effort into it.

Arkfalls are repetitious but each one is slightly different because we play them different, the sandbox type game keeps me busy for hours with emergencies using different weapons in different situations etc.

True about each Arkfall being slightly different and you can use (try) different weapons, but the difficulty never changes (slightly for Dark Matter). Solo this, solo that... you can only do them so many times before it's like stealing candy from a baby. I realize that some people love stealing candy from a baby, want to "win" no matter what (as casual gamers), or enjoy "Farmville" types of games, or even find the Arkfalls challenging.

However, and to you, OP, if you are a gamer that likes a challenge or difficulty to ramp up as your character does, go somewhere else. The game never gets any more difficult (hyperbole). Repetitiveness is your friend in this game.

So, would I spend 10 bucks on it? If I didn't know any better and to play it for about a month before I quit, yes, I would. But knowing what I know about the game, it has actually let me down seeing where it has gone and what has become of it, including the very *questionable* DLCs.

So I spent 60 bucks. I got my worth out of it. The crap part is seeing how this *potentially* amazing game has gone nowhere (hyperbole). The amount of stuff that has been added (positively) has been short changed by all of the constant bugs, disconnects, freezes, chat issues, no transparency, and communication to us about the game is horrible.

I would say if you don't get addicted to the possibility of awesomeness and can easily step away, get it. Otherwise, you'll be in for a real let down later down the road.

Been here since day 1 but haven't played the game since the second week of DLC 2. I stalk the forums in hopes that one day I'll read some good news or an awesome patch, or something. Hasn't happened yet and DLC 3 looks weak. :/

Manstan
01-24-2014, 09:09 AM
"Any one that thinks stealing candy from a baby is easy has never tried to steal candy from a baby".
W.C. Fields

Revovovo
01-24-2014, 10:31 AM
That is sad, I am kinda looking for something moderately hard, not just a grind fest.

Manstan
01-24-2014, 10:54 AM
That is sad, I am kinda looking for something moderately hard, not just a grind fest.

Oh this is moderately hard. A couple of the missions are best done with 1 or 2 friends.

hey u
01-24-2014, 11:16 AM

The really only HARD thing within the game is not getting a server disconnect and getting into the WM without getting a Das Boot now.

Storm58
01-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Let me try and give comparisons so you can see where this game may be for difficulty:

1) A brand new character in this game could very well kill the final boss. Good rolling, moving, and a little luck and it can be done. Granted it would be difficult, but very doable.

2) People change weapons in their loadout to worse weapons just to have some sort of challenge.

3) A lot of people solo everything (minus the Warmaster and Dark Matter Arkfalls) in the game. All instanced missions in the main campaign were initially designed for 1 person. That should tell you something too.

4) List of games that offer much more difficulty (in my opinion and I think Defiance is way too easy): Halo (any of them), Max Payne, Tribes (vs computer), Tomb Raider (though once you are done......), Skyrim, Fallout, Far Cry, Gears of War (any), Borderlands (any), etc.

Defiance is a good game for pickup, play, succeed, celebrate. If you want something more involved, I would look elsewhere, pending what I said in my last post.

Also, Defiance is nothing but a grind fest (hyperbole) for getting that "weapon" or completing that non-essential "challenge." There is no traditional level system that opens you up to new areas, enemies, content, etc... just same ol' content from the second you make your first character (hyperbole).

rebtattoo
01-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Indeed... and if it were offered on the PS4, I would download it in a second. Doesn't even matter to me that I would have to start off from scratch, since I'm currently playing on the 360.

Free To Play automatically means a game is dead? Try telling that to DCUO.The really sad part about this is they have already stated that they aren't looking to jump to next gen. Only going to concentrate on current systems.

On Topic:

For $10, it's a decent sandbox TPS. Don't expect an RPG [i.e. making schtako and playing house]. Get on, shoot things til they're dead with a plethora of different weapons. Definitely worth it.

N3gativeCr33p
01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Only going to concentrate on current systems.

Which is another reason why I think this game is done for once that 5th DLC bundle launches...

Manstan
01-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Which is another reason why I think this game is done for once that 5th DLC bundle launches...

Optimist. ;)

rebtattoo
01-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Which is another reason why I think this game is done for once that 5th DLC bundle launches...Have to wait and see how season 2 goes. Seems like it's going to get a better reception than the first.

To literally answer the question though, here goes; L D O E N F G I E A V N I C T E Y.....Pretty unreadable.

Manstan
01-24-2014, 03:17 PM
I've been watching the show; well getting caught up on it. I can see why it didn't do so well. I'll finish it, but the only explanation I can come up with for it going to a season 2 is Syfy spent too much on it to let it go after the first season. One of those in for a penny in for a pound sort of things lol

I mean there were network shows that got higher ratings and still got canceled. Some after 3 episodes.

But then again now that they have the sets, costumes, actors, and makeup maybe they will spend some money on writing and directing lol

I'm only watching it because season 4 of falling skies hasn't started, I'm waiting for the next episode of Revolution and Grimm, and Dracula is a bit too much of a costume drama for me lol

N3gativeCr33p
01-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Have to wait and see how season 2 goes. Seems like it's going to get a better reception than the first.

The lore of Defiance is what keeps me here. I actually liked most of what season 1 was all about. Without a doubt, yeah, it could use some improvement. The need for improvement can also be said for the game... which to me, from April '13 to now, has been a bigger disappointment than season 1 ever was.

Watching their other two live streams today makes me wish I saw more enthusiasm/organization from the Defiance dev (devs?). Almost seems like it's such a chore for them to stream Defiance sometimes.

Sigh.

Trader Tori
01-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Though obviously it won't be filled with developer insights I'm gonna start doing 3 livestreams weekly, one each for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Anything that can help promote the game I'm on board with, guess it's time to set up that twitch account lol

As for the show, as someone not playing the game at the time (I didn't start until weeks after the final episode) my main complaint was the dribble of backstory. It was odd given Rockne S. O'Bannon's involvement given how well he integrated lore into fun stories on Farscape. It was almost like SyFy directed them to make a procedural and we got off-hand comments about the backstory until late in the season when things really picked up before the ridiculous finale.

TASHINKA
01-24-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm not a huge science fiction fan, but I really enjoyed the TV show. If it wasn't for the show, I would have never bought the game. I only started watching at episode 6 or 7 but really enjoyed the series with my daughter (except the soft core parts - she's only 10); also shocked at how easily they kill off key characters. That's why I named my character "Tashinka", after Irisa (what the Irathients call her "little wolf"). Looking forward to next seasons series; surprised such a long stretch between season 1 and 2.

TASHINKA
01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm not a huge science fiction fan, but I really enjoyed the TV show. If it wasn't for the show, I would have never bought the game. I only started watching at episode 6 or 7 but really enjoyed the series with my daughter (except the soft core parts - she's only 10); also shocked at how easily they kill off key characters. That's why I named my character "Tashinka", after Irisa (what the Irathients call her "little wolf"). Looking forward to next seasons series; surprised such a long stretch between season 1 and 2.My favorite character has to be Stahma Tarr, she is so subtly wicked and manipulating. (didn't mean to quote myself - was trying to add a sentence on to original)

N3gativeCr33p
01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
My favorite character has to be Stahma Tarr, she is so subtly wicked and manipulating. (didn't mean to quote myself - was trying to add a sentence on to original)

You are allowed to edit your own posts.

(I agree Stahma was cool. But I'm more of a fan of Irisa.)

TwwiX
01-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Oh this is moderately hard. A couple of the missions are best done with 1 or 2 friends.

Please. The AI is laughable in this game. Why do you think they buffed them shortly before release? Mind you, all they did is make them bullet spongier and give them auto aim. A master stroke of AI programming!

There's nothing hard about avoiding repetitive, telegraphed actions. Apart from the cluster**** that are Arkfalls, the game is very solo friendly. It might as well been a singleplayer game seeing how piss poor the social aspects of this game are.

DanteYoda
01-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Please. The AI is laughable in this game. Why do you think they buffed them shortly before release? Mind you, all they did is make them bullet spongier and give them auto aim. A master stroke of AI programming!

There's nothing hard about avoiding repetitive, telegraphed actions. Apart from the cluster**** that are Arkfalls, the game is very solo friendly. It might as well been a singleplayer game seeing how piss poor the social aspects of this game are.

Different people have different skill levels, and everybody goes down at some point so yes some parts can be hard.

If you want real hard try soloing a Minor Arkbreak with dual BMG's now that is fun.

DanteYoda
01-24-2014, 08:49 PM
You are allowed to edit your own posts.

(I agree Stahma was cool. But I'm more of a fan of Irisa.)

Personally loved Kenya.....damn you SyFy ...