PDA

View Full Version : First time playing through

Vathian
01-30-2014, 10:26 AM
I was wondering if I am missing somethings that I should be doing because this my first time playing and I have stuck with main missions. My question is that should be doing episodic missions along with my main missions or just stick with flying through main missions then do episodic missions at ego 4000? My ego level is at 86 right now. I couldn't find any good guides/ answers from bing or google so I am asking the fourm gods for help.

XBL NA GT Crypticasden

Character name Vathian

Clan <dawn patrol>

Storm58
01-30-2014, 10:33 AM
I was wondering if I am missing somethings that I should be doing because this my first time playing and I have stuck with main missions. My question is that should be doing episodic missions along with my main missions or just stick with flying through main missions then do episodic missions at ego 4000? My ego level is at 86 right now. I couldn't find any good guides/ answers from bing or google so I am asking the fourm gods for help.

XBL NA GT Crypticasden

Character name Vathian

Clan <dawn patrol>

Actually, the way the game is set up, do anything in whatever order you want. Chances are you won't need to have a high EGO level to get anything done. Actually, in theory, you could beat the base game main missions with an EGO level 1 character.

I would alternate doing everything there is to do in a given area though or base it around how much time you have to play. For example, do the main missions in the starting area. When the main mission goes somewhere else, stay in the starting area and knock out the side missions and/or episode missions then do the races, hotshots, etc.

You can always look at your pursuits and pick one (that has something cool like an outfit) to finish and just work towards getting that pursuit done (such as all races in a given area or finding all data recorders in an area).

The Defiance world is your oyster. There is no set way to do anything and no "real" requirement for an EGO level (except for *potentially* co-op maps).

Tsort
01-30-2014, 10:37 AM
The game is a little more skill-based than stat-based. Episodic missions ARE tougher but you definitely don't need useless grinding for hours to compelte them. A couple of pointers :
*Enemies have weak points, mostly heads on humano´ds, sometimes other body parts that are somewhat highlighted. That's were you're doing yellow dmg. That really helps.
*Try to find what your weapons of choice are, get used to them, then try to stay in cover OR use more aggressive strategies (with the help of cloak/blur, etc.) depending on the weapons you feel more confortable with.
*If hurt, try to find a safer spot for your shield/health to recharge.
*Don't forget to upgrade and equip your Ego powers and perks.

If you're a Steam player, there are very well-done player guides there (although maybe outdated).

We'd need more specific questions or details about your issues with the fighting to help you.

Alternatively, this is a MMO so try to find a clan, or in-game friends to play with to make things simpler. Although chat problems don't help for that.

PS : I'm not a god.

Vathian
01-30-2014, 10:48 AM
The game is a little more skill-based than stat-based. Episodic missions ARE tougher but you definitely don't need useless grinding for hours to compelte them. A couple of pointers :
*Enemies have weak points, mostly heads on humano´ds, sometimes other body parts that are somewhat highlighted. That's were you're doing yellow dmg. That really helps.
*Try to find what your weapons of choice are, get used to them, then try to stay in cover OR use more aggressive strategies (with the help of cloak/blur, etc.) depending on the weapons you feel more confortable with.
*If hurt, try to find a safer spot for your shield/health to recharge.
*Don't forget to upgrade and equip your Ego powers and perks.

If you're a Steam player, there are very well-done player guides there (although maybe outdated).

We'd need more specific questions or details about your issues with the fighting to help you.

Alternatively, this is a MMO so try to find a clan, or in-game friends to play with to make things simpler. Although chat problems don't help for that.

PS : I'm not a god.

Gameplay isn't the issue I have played RIFT and other MMOs so I well versed in gameplay style but I having trouble with is find any groove with weapons if I should upgrading them or just mastering them then upgrading them. What does mastering them do anyways ? I reach level 3 with couple and haven't seen any real need to keep leveling them up. They don't seem to get any better with levels . I prefer to use Saw and auto-sniper rifles with nades which are had to come by.

Lillith Valerian
01-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Gameplay isn't the issue I have played RIFT and other MMOs so I well versed in gameplay style but I having trouble with is find any groove with weapons if I should upgrading them or just mastering them then upgrading them. What does mastering them do anyways ? I reach level 3 with couple and haven't seen any real need to keep leveling them up. They don't seem to get any better with levels . I prefer to use Saw and auto-sniper rifles with nades which are had to come by.

Who are you? I don't recognize your name, and I'm the third member to join the clan months ago.

Somebody in the Dawn Patrol is always on...typically it's Old School Pop or Bill. Just check for clan members every time you're online and you will get any help you need.

Tsort
01-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Weapons do get slightly better with experience, here's how :
1/ you can "master" a weapon (not just a type, the actual item) by using it. It will get an additional bonus listed once mastered (but won't provide anymore xp for the type).
2/ weapon "types" level up as you use them, the bonus earned are listed on your stats menu, as well as the next one to be unlocked.
3/ as you ego progresses you will drop higher ego weapons, they have slightly better stats but not as much difference as the weapon quality curve in classic MMOs. That's why I said, the game is more skill-based than stat-based. A gun is a gun, unlike the lvl 1 wooden sword that cannot compare to the lvl99 dragon two-handed sword in other games.

One more thing : depending on the quality (color) of the weapon, it gets additional bonuses, see here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?99055-Mav-s-Guide-to-Weapon-Bonus-Rolls-and-More)

N3gativeCr33p
01-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Who are you? I don't recognize your name, and I'm the third member to join the clan months ago.

Oh, he's a new recruit... Shadow sent him an invite last night when we were all playing.

Quebra Regra
01-30-2014, 03:22 PM
.02 cents:

pick one weapon type that you like (ie. pistols, etc.) and focus on that. The more you level up a weapon type the more bonuses you get with any weapon in that class. It seems a whole lot more meaningful than some of the minor varions in the weapons themselves, etc.

kill everything.

Also, there are some fixed rewards for the the main missions the first time through, some of these are actually decent and worthwhile rewards (guaranteed over RNG).

Zugo
01-31-2014, 07:56 AM
A huge part of deciding your load out will be your personal preference in play style, are you a run&gunner, brawler, sniper, etc.

Personally I'm a sniper, run&gunner type so I lean on bolt action snipers and LMG/SMG/AR side of the fence.
Most of my loadouts contain a long range, and short range weapon type like a VOT Bolter, and VBI assault rifle.

Guns:For PvE the following guns are my favs:
Assault Rifle - VBI assault rifle, FRC Heavy assault, FRC Assault Carbine, VBI TACC Assault Rifle
Light Machine - FRC SAW, VBI LM-43 Thunder
SMG - VOT Tachmag Pulser
Sniper - VOT Bolter, VBI SS-2 Ranger
Rockets - VOT Longshot Cannon, FRC Rocket Pod, VBI Guided Launcher
Detonators - FRC Big Boomer, GL-1 Ground Pounder

Shield:For PvE Co-ops and open world combat I prefer the Respark shields for their quick recovery time. If you can find one with Regenerator in the second part of the name you have THE shield I recommend. For the Warmaster I use a Tachyon with very high refresh rate (9.6 sec) because I use the kill or be killed perk which boosts my damage when my shield is down. Effectively giving me 9.6 sec of increased damage whenever the warmaster hits me with a rocket.

Manstan
01-31-2014, 08:14 AM
If you just race through the main missions your ego wont be 1K by the time you are done. I did the side missions as they came up while doing the mains, I beat Nim{the last boss mission} with less then 1K ego. In fact I've finished all the missions and only have an 1100 ego. You will be spending 10X as much time getting your ego to 5K then it takes to complete all the missions. The episode challenges{?} are grind, grind, grind, and grind some more.

Old School Pop
01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Bill's answer is pretty complete, I would a couple of tips;
While your ego is low you can still find some great guns and they have high value since anyone in the game can use them, so hang on to them if you can.
Many players have good guns they no longer use due to finding an even better one, get on your mic and ask clan mates.
Don't make the mistake of only going for purple and orange weapons, many player still have blue weapons they use regularly in their active loadouts due to the 'rolls' (weapon traits) especially critical damage and magazine; or the synergy added weapon damage from latent effects like fire or radiation: all that said check each weapon before you sell it to make sure you are not giving up a real gem.
Always join up with a friend and use your mic during game play the chatter during play can be hilarius

Vathian
01-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Bill's answer is pretty complete, I would a couple of tips;
While your ego is low you can still find some great guns and they have high value since anyone in the game can use them, so hang on to them if you can.
Many players have good guns they no longer use due to finding an even better one, get on your mic and ask clan mates.
Don't make the mistake of only going for purple and orange weapons, many player still have blue weapons they use regularly in their active loadouts due to the 'rolls' (weapon traits) especially critical damage and magazine; or the synergy added weapon damage from latent effects like fire or radiation: all that said check each weapon before you sell it to make sure you are not giving up a real gem.
Always join up with a friend and use your mic during game play the chatter during play can be hilarious

We did just that last night and it was great to finally be able to co-op with you guys ! but aside from that my SMG was from main mission quest and I made the mistake of buying all the attachments for SMG and I went to attach them I couldn't . I did complete the first 3 season 1 missions and it was funny to along Irisa she is my favorite and I am crushing on her too! I love how you play long side the episodes it adds more it.

blotto33
01-31-2014, 08:44 AM
I would find all the fast travels first, then id finish the campaign playthrough, then id do all ther side missions and finish with the rampages, challenges and races. You will need to open all of your perk slots to complete some of the challenges and rampages simply for highest score possible and the perks do help. ALOT. All the while you could be participating in arkfalls and arkbreaks and incursions. I would also recommend buying ONLY tier two boxes with keys. My clanmates and I have had way better luck with pulling Legendarys and Ark shields!!

XBL BloTTo33
NA Zaphod Beeblebrox
Clan Kush

N3gativeCr33p
01-31-2014, 09:23 AM
it was funny to along Irisa she is my favorite and I am crushing on her too!

Yeah... Irisa was the inspiration behind my arkhunter being an Irath.

I would find all the fast travels first...

Nice suggestion, but we got those unlocked for him last night.

Vathian
01-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Yeah... Irisa was the inspiration behind my arkhunter being an Irath.

Nice suggestion, but we got those unlocked for him last night.

Indeed we did now for recorders tonight!!! I have done arkfalls minor ones and one major one called the mother of all hellbugs and it was a lot of fun it felt like RIFTs from RIFT but I couldn't open them which was depressing !

N3gativeCr33p
01-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Indeed we did now for recorders tonight!!!

Shouldn't be a problem at all... the only recorders that I need are in the few co-op maps that I have never played before. As far as all of the ones in Paradise, I have all of 'em!

Quebra Regra
01-31-2014, 11:39 AM
A huge part of deciding your load out will be your personal preference in play style, are you a run&gunner, brawler, sniper, etc.

Personally I'm a sniper, run&gunner type so I lean on bolt action snipers and LMG/SMG/AR side of the fence.
Most of my loadouts contain a long range, and short range weapon type like a VOT Bolter, and VBI assault rifle.

Guns:For PvE the following guns are my favs:
Assault Rifle - VBI assault rifle, FRC Heavy assault, FRC Assault Carbine, VBI TACC Assault Rifle
Light Machine - FRC SAW, VBI LM-43 Thunder
SMG - VOT Tachmag Pulser
Sniper - VOT Bolter, VBI SS-2 Ranger
Rockets - VOT Longshot Cannon, FRC Rocket Pod, VBI Guided Launcher
Detonators - FRC Big Boomer, GL-1 Ground Pounder

Shield:For PvE Co-ops and open world combat I prefer the Respark shields for their quick recovery time. If you can find one with Regenerator in the second part of the name you have THE shield I recommend. For the Warmaster I use a Tachyon with very high refresh rate (9.6 sec) because I use the kill or be killed perk which boosts my damage when my shield is down. Effectively giving me 9.6 sec of increased damage whenever the warmaster hits me with a rocket.

That's a damn good tip on the shield/perk I never thought of!!! Not sure I want to go 9.6 sec without a shield th
o.