PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Emotes, etc. with the new chat system?

dramaQkarri
02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Sooooooo, not quite happy with the new chat system that came with the DLC patch. What happened to emotes? Where do I now find it? I miss dancing.

Also what happened to where we can choose our avatar voice? Did you guys forget that was there on the big invasive chat menu?

This new one is less obnoxious on-screen, but if it's incomplete with components missing which people DID use sometimes, then it's not better. Functionally it works the same as the previous chat system. Between the two, I'd rather have obnoxious but fully-functional instead of this less obtrusive but overly limited version.

Eh?

Rienen
02-06-2014, 11:50 AM
/dance
/taunt
/greet
/cheer

Enjoy.

Arsenic_Touch
02-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Clearly the reason the chat system wasn't working prior to this was due to the emote button so they had to remove it. That pesky emote button was gobbling up all the text.

Probably not but it's funny that they keep removing stuff as they fix things.

jaelle
02-06-2014, 12:16 PM
/dance
/taunt
/greet
/cheer

Enjoy.

Same for console users? If so, that's totally lame.

jaelle
02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
They couldn't have us dancing about on hellbugs and whatnot. :P

rebtattoo
02-06-2014, 01:03 PM
They couldn't have us dancing about on hellbugs and whatnot. :PIt's the same...pretty easy actually, if you have your predicted text qued. I just type / and the whole wall of 'em pops up just like the window before.

Nefarious
02-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Same for console users? If so, that's totally lame.

Its could be implemented for consoles.

It could work where when you press left on the d-pad to access chat you could then press right on the d-pad to have an emote menu to select from.

Just as how when a player presses left on the d-pad when in the chat gives you a menu to choose chat channels.

Or Trion can do away with left on d-pad chat channels since selecting tabs essentially do that for the player anyway.

Both left and right on the d-pad when in chat could allow quick access to two emote menus like it once was.

dramaQkarri
02-06-2014, 02:55 PM
/dance
/taunt
/greet
/cheer

Enjoy.

OK I'll try it tonight - forgot to mention I'm on PS3 but I remember WAY back last spring when the game came out that those commands worked same as PC version. Looks like I need them now! Will be dancing into the night. As soon as I fix my brakes stuck caliper...ah, winter!

dramaQkarri
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Clearly the reason the chat system wasn't working prior to this was due to the emote button so they had to remove it. That pesky emote button was gobbling up all the text.

Probably not but it's funny that they keep removing stuff as they fix things.

Funny it is. /taunt

Atticus Batman
02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Sooooooo, not quite happy with the new chat system that came with the DLC patch. What happened to emotes? Where do I now find it? I miss dancing.

Also what happened to where we can choose our avatar voice? Did you guys forget that was there on the big invasive chat menu?

This new one is less obnoxious on-screen, but if it's incomplete with components missing which people DID use sometimes, then it's not better. Functionally it works the same as the previous chat system. Between the two, I'd rather have obnoxious but fully-functional instead of this less obtrusive but overly limited version.

Eh?

This chat is better. If it doesn't stay up long enough for you go into settings and moved the fade bar to the right to keep it up longer, you can also increase text size while there if you want. While I am at it that is, and has always been the correct place to change your character's voice as well. I suggest you check all the settings while you are there, since you obviously haven't before. You can even button remap there.

The emotes look the same and are the same commands on all 3 systems.

HeatherQc
02-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Its could be implemented for consoles.

It could work where when you press left on the d-pad to access chat you could then press right on the d-pad to have an emote menu to select from.

Just as how when a player presses left on the d-pad when in the chat gives you a menu to choose chat channels.

Or Trion can do away with left on d-pad chat channels since selecting tabs essentially do that for the player anyway.

Both left and right on the d-pad when in chat could allow quick access to two emote menus like it once was.

Yes I agree. Trion should have keep the quick menu on console for the emote and the voice ( I mean: Help, follow, get in, ...) they were very useful on console.
I use help to call people around when I was down now I'm being ignored by most people.

They should bring quick menu like it was when the game was release

I play since day one and so far it is the worst chat system they ever did. I don't get it why people like it. I can't keep a conversation, chat log keep resetting when I do anything, go in character menu, on map, enter vendor, the chat log disappear

Amack
02-06-2014, 08:45 PM
If some of you had the slightest clue what you were talking about, you would be dangerous!

Now that they have a functioning foundation... it can be improved on.

ironcladtrash
02-06-2014, 10:21 PM
It's gong to be released with DLC 4 as content.

DanteYoda
02-06-2014, 10:44 PM
/dance
/taunt
/greet
/cheer

Enjoy.

Doesn't work for me tried them all my character stands there..

Amack
02-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Doesn't work for me tried them all my character stands there..

Must be user error. I can even use them from a kneeling position and my character will stand up, then perform the emote. Keep trying Yoda.

Manstan
02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
That list of emotes is rather slim. But this is a shooter, what would you need a bunch of emotes for?

Nefarious
02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
On live stream they said no quick tab to select emotes. :confused:

Nefarious
02-07-2014, 04:36 PM
That list of emotes is rather slim. But this is a shooter, what would you need a bunch of emotes for?

Whats the use of picking your characters voice type then?

Tename
02-19-2014, 05:54 PM
I know this is a two week old thread so I apologize... came back recently and all the emotes are gone except for 4? There were more than 4, and there were even a few more I hadn't seen before like "kind" and "defiance". Next thing I know, they are gone. I know, it's a shooter, it's not a big deal. If I never had them I wouldn't notice (obviously)... but I had them and they're gone now.

So what happened? The voice emotes were already recorded, why get rid of them? Is it a temporary thing as they tinker with chat? I searched and couldn't find an answer and this seemed to be the best thread to ask.

clubside
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately Tename the new chat is a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater and many on these forums have cheered that they now see chat that they were missing while those of us who never had that issue saw a marked decline in the chat interface. In addition to losing the emotes and callouts from menus we have a much smaller window to view past chat, chat is now restricted to your instance where before zone chat was truly global (if at times delayed), you can no longer just type another message because chat loses focus immediately and a host of other problems that for me make this the worst chat since I started playing (and since I wasn't around until August of last year I can only imagine the horrors I didn't bear witness to).

Here is a support page from Trion:

https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1512/~/defiance-in-game-slash-commands

Yup, only lists four, and none of the callouts. I'm not logged in at the moment but perhaps they and the other emotes are available if you type /?, not that controller-only people are helped in any way.

They could have "fixed" that problem of chat not showing up for people without redoing the interface. Allowing different text and voice channel selects is great except the placement of the voice channel options is disruptive at lower resolutions (why not to the right of the mini-map?). Chat freezes the longer you stay online, appears and isn't available in the backscroll then magically reappears and a host of other problems. It is truly a trainwreck.