PDA

View Full Version : FOV Shift - What is does and how it works.

Amack
02-08-2014, 02:31 PM
This option was most certainly implemented for the players with good sniping skills. Most notably, target acquisition and weapon control.

Once you have the option turned off, in order to utilize it effectively, you must scope in while standing up, kneel while still scoped in, and then scope out. From there it is basically a learning curve on how to properly use this view point. You can choose at will whether you want 1 eye open (scoped in) or 2 eyes open (scoped out). While scoped out with 2 eyes open you lose some weapon control and targeting bonus, this is mainly where the good sniping skills come into play. If you are hit while scoped in (1 eye open) it will bring you out of this view into the scoped out (2 eyes open) view temporarily, and this will also occur while you are reloading.

Keep in mind you remain kneeling during this entire process and you cannot effectively use this method while standing. Used properly, it will turn you into a headshot killing machine.

Burned In Effigy
02-08-2014, 03:03 PM
This option was most certainly implemented for the players with good sniping skills. Most notably, target acquisition and weapon control.

Once you have the option turned off, in order to utilize it effectively, you must scope in while standing up, kneel while still scoped in, and then scope out. From there it is basically a learning curve on how to properly use this view point. You can choose at will whether you want 1 eye open (scoped in) or 2 eyes open (scoped out). While scoped out with 2 eyes open you lose some weapon control and targeting bonus, this is mainly where the good sniping skills come into play. If you are hit while scoped in (1 eye open) it will bring you out of this view into the scoped out (2 eyes open) view temporarily, and this will also occur while you are reloading.

Keep in mind you remain kneeling during this entire process and you cannot effectively use this method while standing. Used properly, it will turn you into a headshot killing machine.

Thank you. I will try this. It's the last challenge for me to beat.
Curious, I have to change this in my settings?

Amack
02-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Thank you. I will try this. It's the last challenge for me to beat.
Curious, I have to change this in my settings?

Correct, general settings or something like that.

IIRC, Trick is a skeet shooter. I'd bet he is responsible for this. Whoever is, deserves a gosh durn raise if you ask me. If this is why DLC3 has no content... I'm okay with that! Lmao.

Burned In Effigy
02-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks, I consider myself to be a good sniper but this challenge makes me argh a lot.

Amack
02-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I can take out a small army coming towards me now... while kneeling.

Important to also note, this works with all scoped weapons. Not just sniper rifles. I do prefer sniper rifles, and using this makes each shot count, if you know what I mean.

jschmuck33
02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Glad to see you figured it out Amack what was causing it. I'll have to try it now that I know how to make it happen, to see how I like it.

Amack
02-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Glad to see you figured it out Amack what was causing it. I'll have to try it now that I know how to make it happen, to see how I like it.

Trion sure didn't make it easy, that much is certain.

They even ignored me in the stream, they probably had to suppress some laughs. Das Otay...
I even said "Show these fine people how the new scopes work"... lmao.

Amack
02-08-2014, 07:22 PM
So people don't miss it.

Also using both eyes open with other weapons besides sniper rifles in close quarters, can be tons of fun.

Market
02-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Nice find, Amack! I was just being asked the other day what the heck that setting does, but I had no idea!

Thanks for the info!!

Burned In Effigy
02-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Question,
Is it supposed to auto aim when I change targets? Once it actually followed the target . it doesn't feel any different. And yes, it is turned off.

Amack
02-08-2014, 09:39 PM
I am not getting any auto-aim.

Burned In Effigy
02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
I tried it out on some unsuspecting raiders and my scope followed them.

Amack
02-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Comment edited, see below.

Burned In Effigy
02-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Oops I meant auto lock but I'm guessing the answers still no.

Amack
02-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Oops I meant auto lock but I'm guessing the answers still no.

Okay nevermind this applies to movement sights, as well as assault scopes... very cool.
Yes, I see aim-assist now.

Amack
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Comment Edited.

Zor
06-11-2014, 03:05 AM
I might be missing something obvious, but I don't actually see what this is supposed to be doing. With and without FOV Shift on and doing what's described in the OP, I notice no difference in behavior at all...

For what it's worth, I'm using a Volge Lightning Rifle, but I think that counts as a bolt action sniper rifle.

Amack
06-11-2014, 04:19 AM
I might be missing something obvious, but I don't actually see what this is supposed to be doing. With and without FOV Shift on and doing what's described in the OP, I notice no difference in behavior at all...

For what it's worth, I'm using a Volge Lightning Rifle, but I think that counts as a bolt action sniper rifle.

The feature was either broken or disabled when DLC 5 was released.

Zor
06-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Well that figures then. Would anyone happen to have a video of how it used to work?

xxdarkxwarxx
06-11-2014, 11:00 AM

i see no difference with this on/off it is the same thing. oh and i have no problem running around with a sniper and no scoping in PvE

squidgod2000
06-11-2014, 11:04 AM
i see no difference with this on/off it is the same thing. oh and i have no problem running around with a sniper and no scoping in PvE

The feature was either broken or disabled when DLC 5 was released.

Check the date and read the thread.

BraveDude8
06-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Any idea if it's going to come back? It sounded quite cool, but I haven't seen any footage.

EdlionHeart
08-21-2014, 08:28 PM
I would like to see how it used to work. It seems an interesting thing.

Alastar
08-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Shooting using a sight with both eyes open is no picnic IRL either lol. Preferred method but not easy for many to pull off.

DeadGhost
08-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Hey everybody - let me clear up some possible misconceptions here.

FOV shift has nothing to do with compensating for intra-ocular distances in hip fire / fine aim modes - what Amack was calling two-eye and one-eye modes, respectively. it simply enables or disables the modifed FOV you experience when you do things like sprinting on-foot or boosting in your vehicle.

Secondly, snap-to-target - the feature whereby your reticule (for a non-scoped weapon) snaps to a nearby target when entering fine-aim mode - is a separate setting: aim assist, under controls.

What functionality is it that you're saying went missing? The way it is right now, I can scope in and out and - with aim assist off and a scoped weapon - my sight picture doesn't change (aside from the zoom, of course). That sounds to me like the functionality you're looking for, but if there's a change to how you think target acquisition / weapon control could be improved, we're always open to feedback.

The other possible explanation I can think of for this is that different weapons have different accuracy settings for hip aim and fine aim, so your ability to "noscope" people might change depending on the weapon and its mods. This can be seen pretty clearly by picking an immobile target some distance away and comparing your grouping when hip firing to your grouping while fine aiming. That's pretty standard video game stuff though.

Hope that helps!

Keeper Riff
08-28-2014, 12:22 PM
What functionality is it that you're saying went missing?There was a bug when FOV Shift was turned off, that caused the scope overlay to not appear in scoped mode, while retaining the zoom level of the scope. Amack thought it's an actual feature I believe.

SilverWF
08-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Hey everybody - let me clear up some possible misconceptions here.

FOV shift has nothing to do with compensating for intra-ocular distances in hip fire / fine aim modes - what Amack was calling two-eye and one-eye modes, respectively. it simply enables or disables the modifed FOV you experience when you do things like sprinting on-foot or boosting in your vehicle.

Secondly, snap-to-target - the feature whereby your reticule (for a non-scoped weapon) snaps to a nearby target when entering fine-aim mode - is a separate setting: aim assist, under controls.

What functionality is it that you're saying went missing? The way it is right now, I can scope in and out and - with aim assist off and a scoped weapon - my sight picture doesn't change (aside from the zoom, of course). That sounds to me like the functionality you're looking for, but if there's a change to how you think target acquisition / weapon control could be improved, we're always open to feedback.

The other possible explanation I can think of for this is that different weapons have different accuracy settings for hip aim and fine aim, so your ability to "noscope" people might change depending on the weapon and its mods. This can be seen pretty clearly by picking an immobile target some distance away and comparing your grouping when hip firing to your grouping while fine aiming. That's pretty standard video game stuff though.

Hope that helps!

Oh, thanks

DeadGhost
08-28-2014, 12:48 PM
There was a bug when FOV Shift was turned off, that caused the scope overlay to not appear in scoped mode, while retaining the zoom level of the scope. Amack thought it's an actual feature I believe.
Oh! If that's the case, that was definitely a bug.

Amack
08-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Oh! If that's the case, that was definitely a bug.

Bring it back, it was cool. lol.

KingTyger
02-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Well, this seemed nice, I didnt no we had aim assist ... -.- hopefully it aint on, cause if it is, I might be sadden that I think i am a good shot, and to see I had help wont help my personal EGO lol, >.> thought I use a Charge Sniper. hahaha

Atticus Batman
02-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Well, this seemed nice, I didnt no we had aim assist ... -.- hopefully it aint on, cause if it is, I might be sadden that I think i am a good shot, and to see I had help wont help my personal EGO lol, >.> thought I use a Charge Sniper. hahaha

Aim assist is on by default, so you have to go into your game's settings and turn it off, if you don't like it.