PDA

View Full Version : Character Customization

eyeswatch13579
07-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Beside weapons and skills, how in-depth would the customization in the character creation be? Such as clothing, hair styles, facial features, tattoos, etc.

Jenbuu
07-22-2012, 06:34 PM
all depends on what business model they go with,
if they decide to go f2p then there will most likely be alot of cosmetic stuff in the in game shop.

if monthly sub then i would hope a decent kind of character creation tool to begin with

time will tell

Kreator Testament
07-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Yeh like Jenbuu just said it completely depends on the business model they choose. The RIFT character setup was fairly decent in my opinion so hopefully Defiance will be likewise. An assortment of tattoos for different areas of the body such as chest, arms, legs, possibly even face would also be great, definitely something I'd make use of.

Jenbuu
07-24-2012, 05:26 AM
The main thing is that it hopefully would be completely custom, which is expected now a days for AAA games,
look at the likes of rift, guildwars2 etc they all have the sliders etc,

its just games like swtor which had all the hype then only had preset faces etc,

first step to win people over is to give them the complete customization of the initial character,
stuff like the tattos, piercing etc would be a good RMT thing but done right,

also the ability to change how the character looks throughout the game is a bonus too,

Kalbuir
07-24-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm not too well read into the MMO shooter types, I know from my time in testing that APB had a very insane set of customization which caused so much limitations that the game kinda failed. (imo) I think we should not fully compare Defiance with a RPG MMO because both genre's are very different.

Instead I would look more what the other MMO shooters are doing and expect that sort of customization in the game at the least with hopes for crossovers to the RPG MMO's. One thing that has it going for a big set of character customization tools is that they talk about bringing player characters into the series. Now if we all looked alike this would make casting rather akward :p

Von
07-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Form all the videos and pics I have seen, we are going to have a lot of different
stuff to chose from when making our characters. Of course, some of this stuff
could be stuff we unlock as we go along. I like this long cloak or coat I saw this
one person's character wearing in a video.

The armor I've seen is probably something you'll get as you level up. Also saw
a miner outfit, wonder if that means you can look for minerals if you have that
outfit on?

It looks as thou we can mix and match our look as we go along. Add armor or
different style of clothes as we either buy them or get them threw leveling. Hopefully
there will be a few good starting choices.

Adsinonimous
07-28-2012, 04:15 PM
One thing that has it going for a big set of character customization tools is that they talk about bringing player characters into the series. Now if we all looked alike this would make casting rather akward :p

I had never thought about that! - That is a very valid reason as to why this game should have an in-depth character customization! I suppose what we can change is yet to be discovered but I think the essential things that it needs are... Colours for many parts of the body (eg. Hair, Skin, Eyes and maybe armour), Varied Hair types, facial customization and accessories such as tattoos, piercings, scars or something included in hair.

I have been lead to believe that the scale of characters will be exactly the same to give a fair pixel perfect shooting experience so I doubt you will be able to customize the height, muscle, fat or anything to make your character less "shootable".

Kalbuir
07-29-2012, 06:40 AM
I have been lead to believe that the scale of characters will be exactly the same to give a fair pixel perfect shooting experience so I doubt you will be able to customize the height, muscle, fat or anything to make your character less "shootable".

I think that is very true, especially since they already took that into consideration for the race selection as well (no big or small races). I am guessing that armor will be customized through the gear you obtain in the game, but a few pre selections during character creation wouldn't hurt aswell.

For some reason I still think that Defiance won't go all out of customization (like for example APB did), I think they would like to do that (like any MMO) but don't have it very high on their priority list so realistically I would expect:
- Hair: Color (2 tone), pre set styles
- Head: presets, Nose, Ear, scar
- Body: skin color, very little other than that, maybe a slider for upper torse.

Now if they add enough hairstyles and face presets and a rich color palette then we can already look pretty unique. Now don't get me wrong more is better :D but I don't see a lot of the things done in RPGMMO's work in shooter because it giving an edge over others.

I would like to see a full mesh for face structure but in the past the shooters that have tried that ran into performance issues with a lot of people in the zone. Therefore I believe that it won't be a full customizable face.

Steelheart
07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Would like to see slide bars v/s presets when it comes to character customization

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
any kind of custimization in a game makes it more fun, but i see, for the same reasons eve online dont allow too much detailed customizing, it causing server stress when theres more than a certain amount of players individually customized and slowing dont PC's that barely run on low def mode heh

Kalbuir
08-01-2012, 04:50 AM
any kind of custimization in a game makes it more fun, but i see, for the same reasons eve online dont allow too much detailed customizing, it causing server stress when theres more than a certain amount of players individually customized and slowing dont PC's that barely run on low def mode heh

Not entirely true EVE has been working on it for years but never seem to get it ready for launch probably due to their engine being old. But the character customization they had planned was unparalleled to anything ever done in a game. CCP's new game with the white wolf (did I get that name right guys?) IP has a nice showcase of its possibilities.

Also this is what they have / had planned for EVE but I don't think it made it fully in or well not as a traditional character as in other MMO's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgk-vXxPvV8

Kalbuir
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry to bump this one but I was going through the screenshots I knew of earlier and you see player models with tattoo on their arms so I am fairly confident that those are part of character customization as well.

Arkamenitas
08-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Beside weapons and skills, how in-depth would the customization in the character creation be? Such as clothing, hair styles, facial features, tattoos, etc.

this... is a very good question indeed..

Zyz
10-16-2012, 09:39 AM
are the armors gonna have stats on them, or just like bonuses? Because this is a shooter designed around skill, not click and button mash. so are the armors gonna be strictly cosmetic, or will they allow you to do things in the world. like a re-breather makes u immune to poison gasses, or mining helmet gives u a light from your helm in dark places.

Jenbuu
10-16-2012, 09:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpVdP35XhnA&list=UUgmhlgTlzutbexFBu9x4E2w&index=1&feature=plcp

In the video it says that there will be custom pvp armor to show your level of pvp skill, so tier'd armor maybe?

Carnak
10-16-2012, 10:24 PM

What about gender?

Females are generally less bulky than males or are Defiance's women all going to be Amazons?

Shadinaxx
10-17-2012, 02:55 AM
What about gender?

Females are generally less bulky than males or are Defiance's women all going to be Amazons?

Take a quick look at females in Rift, then look at the parent company :) Not that every female will be in iron clad bikinis, but the option will be there I'm sure

Disdain
10-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Take a quick look at females in Rift, then look at the parent company :) Not that every female will be in iron clad bikinis, but the option will be there I'm sure

Awesomesauce!

Darktide
10-17-2012, 06:49 AM
I agree with Aaronjin

Carnak
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM

The Amazon reference was height, not fashion related.

Disdain
10-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Iím guessing all characters will have the same statistical mass despite how they appear.

Or all characters will just be the same size, or they won't

Or if you wana be a god in pvp, role a fairy! :)

Shadinaxx
10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Yea, I think I'm gonna go with Disdain on this one, because in every game play video I have seen, there is very little differance in overall mass to each character. So basically, there's not really major changes in body types, like ultra mr universe style males, and amazonian women that stand 6 foot 7 inches and 436 lbs. Altho I have seen differant sizes based on the gear they wore. Saw one juggernaut looking character holding what looked like a hip mounted bazooka, but it was the armor that looked hefty, not really the player model.

That being said, I think there will still be some uniqueness to how you want your character to look, but no min/maxing of power gamers that make their "hit box" tiny by making their character have insanely small proportions, or a tank-like player that uses a larger hit box to shield their teammates from creation. But who knows, maybe within reason.

JellyBean
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Yea, I think I'm gonna go with Disdain on this one, because in every game play video I have seen, there is very little differance in overall mass to each character. So basically, there's not really major changes in body types, like ultra mr universe style males, and amazonian women that stand 6 foot 7 inches and 436 lbs. Altho I have seen differant sizes based on the gear they wore. Saw one juggernaut looking character holding what looked like a hip mounted bazooka, but it was the armor that looked hefty, not really the player model.

That being said, I think there will still be some uniqueness to how you want your character to look, but no min/maxing of power gamers that make their "hit box" tiny by making their character have insanely small proportions, or a tank-like player that uses a larger hit box to shield their teammates from creation. But who knows, maybe within reason.

Remember all the video we have is unfinished stuff so there may be a chance they are working on different builds or will include it at launch or even in the beta

Javel_Remois
11-10-2012, 02:33 PM
With 8 different races (7 alien + humans IIRC) there should be plenty of options and variations to go round. As long as I get to be a castithan female I'll be happy, with or without my "iron clad bikini"! ;) :o

Not that every female will be in iron clad bikinis, but the option will be there I'm sure

Amazingy
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
I've seen that they will have female characters. How will they keep shootability the same

catqeer
12-01-2012, 07:37 PM
I hope they add bulky female and skinny male body types... as well as facial customization... they already said weapon customization will be extensive...

Suun Brakur
12-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Hoping they would have customization option I would not want to see another me running around of the battle field, especially a chance for a character to be introduced in the TV Series I would want to be unique.

Of course not to the point of bogging down the server. Color ranges important (human all nationalities represented realistically), tattoos (if there is a way to have basic shapes you can arrange to make it personalized), hair and clothing for females please have some styles appropriate for the environment (don't care to run around in daisy-dukes).

Amazingy
12-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Character customization and First mission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7zA0CC2irI

stormaaron
12-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I've seen that they will have female characters. How will they keep shootability the same

they said during the livestream they were working hard to make the hitboxs the same for both sexs

stormaaron
12-15-2012, 10:28 PM
they answered alot of questons about character customization in the livestream heres the link to it http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/347797767

deusex2
12-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Iím guessing all characters will have the same statistical mass despite how they appear.

Or all characters will just be the same size, or they won't

Or if you wana be a god in pvp, role a fairy! :)

I hate those, but hey, at least there are no panty flashing lolis, unlike Tera.

Irish
12-16-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm hoping SOMEONE will take a clue from a nine year old system. In the City of Heroes game, players had literally BILLIONS of combinations of everything from helmets and hats to clothes/costumes to boots and everything inbetween.

Here are just a FEW of the characters, gathered for a "Save CoH" event, shortly before the game was closed by the evil NCSoft (may they be eternally cursed).

http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Save_City_heroes.jpg

-Irish

stormaaron
12-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm hoping SOMEONE will take a clue from a nine year old system. In the City of Heroes game, players had literally BILLIONS of combinations of everything from helmets and hats to clothes/costumes to boots and everything inbetween.

Here are just a FEW of the characters, gathered for a "Save CoH" event, shortly before the game was closed by the evil NCSoft (may they be eternally cursed).

-Irish

i was apart of that event! :D sadly we didn't make a difference :( the level of customization in that game was unmatched but i doubt defiance will be able to reach that level without sacrificing game play elements i would much rather have a bunch of clones with different cloths running around but a good game then distinct characters running around a 10 foot cube

Carnak
12-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Given it's using the same engine as Rift I'd expect them to see a similar (or possibly better) character customisation system.

Assuming that's possible with console controllers - like the face shape triangle bit might be a problem?

AmazingPatt
12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Given it's using the same engine as Rift I'd expect them to see a similar (or possibly better) character customisation system.

Assuming that's possible with console controllers - like the face shape triangle bit might be a problem?

nah i doubt they will change it that much from the alpha and the alpha is just preset . hair style . hair color . eye color . eye shape . lips . makeup and some more i forgot but it only by choice so far