PDA

View Full Version : growing indifference.

JEMINAI
02-10-2014, 12:00 PM
ok feels like I'm beating my head against a brick wall now.
I have been playing since launch. I have given feedback, made suggestions and generally despaired over the game of Defiance.
I have a lot of love for Defiance but I can't witness it's neglect any longer.
so I'm on the CBF'd bandwagon too now. oh I'll play defiance and keep tabs on any decent improvements but I'm totally exasperated with trying to kick the metaphorical *** of the powers that be.
it's like watching someone starve their pet! and it makes no sense (at least I haven't found valid reason for the abundance of limitations).

I recently got into a beta of another up and coming mmo. I was quickly reminded of how it feels to receive not only support and customer service but to find contact readily available by a team that actually shows passion about what they are doing.

now I'm trying not to sound nasty here.. but defiance had my support, also financially. but no longer.
all in all, my opinion is that Defiance was just an extension of a tv show that is yet to establish itself.
imagine if it was *** about and the $ went to the game. we all said it has great potential...
perhaps it would have spawned a better show. perhaps the game should have started as utterly awful then we wouldn't feel so jipped.
perhaps syfy should have sold Defiance lunch boxes instead.

feel free to ban/close delete this post, I consider the considerable amount of money I have thrown into this as at least buying the right to have my say.

ps. can I just say, seems to me slightly more effort went into the forums code of conduct than the last DLC.
I can imagine that being abused constantly in forums wouldn't make for happy employment.
I guess I'm thinking, why defend it at all.
be wary when the community loses the passion to express themselves.

Holy Bahamut3
02-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Totally agree. I lost hope a while back...

Storm58
02-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Well, coming to the forums is just to chat with fellow and potential future game players. The Defiance Team does not come on here to read reviews of what they make and/or get suggestions on new content or bugs that need to be fixed.

It's not like there is a Global Director of Communications that says that they will monitor these forums and give feedback openly and honestly in a transparent manner... oh, wait, never mind...

I'm with you in regards to saying stuff to never (hyperbole) have it acknowledged. Even the veil attempts that the Defiance Team made to "get responses from the community" went unheard of. Remember that Google site that was supposed to track our needs/wants? What the hello happened to that?

Why is there such a disconnect between the community and a *supposed* persistent always online game? One that pushes out "regular" content would NEED to be in desperate communication with their community. It's frightfully quiet in here regarding the "Team." Especially when something is broken...

Perhaps the best bet is to inform the higher Trion leadership of the poor job that continues to plague Defiance.

Deunan
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Trion spent over $70 million developing the game so money wasn't really the issue initally. Word of mouth and bad reviews killed sales at launch which is what really handicapped the game in terms of development on a going forward basis.

The forum moderators and the development team are completely different assets so it bears zero relevancy to look at the activity of one to make judgments about the other. Trick would probably be delighted if he had a dozen extra people to staff development but it's not as if they would be coming from the forum moderator staff. >^^<

Nyamara
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Well, coming to the forums is just to chat with fellow and potential future game players. The Defiance Team does not come on here to read reviews of what they make and/or get suggestions on new content or bugs that need to be fixed.

That is exactly why when you encounter bugs and other issues in game, you should go to the settings area in-game and report the bug that way and how to reproduce it. You are better likely to get support for that feature/bug then than to come on here and complain about it.

Holy Bahamut3
02-10-2014, 12:22 PM
@JEMINAI
Yeah the live streams are beginning to show the disconnect as well. Everything from the game play to the "conversation" feels forced. Greg even let out audible dissapointment when he had to leave trove for defiance last week. It is becoming painful to watch ask anyone even the defiance data guy they'll tell you.

Deunan
02-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Perhaps the best bet is to inform the higher Trion leadership of the poor job that continues to plague Defiance.The higher Trion leadership is responsible for any problems with Defiance. It's not as if Greg, Elizabeth and Trip can dictate what they get in terms of staffing and other resources. Budgeting and resource allocation are ultimately the province of the CEO, CFO and the COO of a company, not the division heads.

Overtkill21
02-10-2014, 12:40 PM

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4754938112/hA1B6FFA0/

Storm58
02-10-2014, 01:16 PM
The higher Trion leadership is responsible for any problems with Defiance. It's not as if Greg, Elizabeth and Trip can dictate what they get in terms of staffing and other resources. Budgeting and resource allocation are ultimately the province of the CEO, CFO and the COO of a company, not the division heads.

Which is why I say inform them. If everyone complains to the Defiance Team, nothing happens. If people start to complain directly to the highers at Trion, there is a *better* chance of something being fixed (albeit still a low one). If management at the top is like some of us perceive the management of Defiance to be, then there are probably a lot of high level guys in Trion that don't know (other than $$$) about the blunder (and recent DLC blunder) that is killing Defiance.

Speculation, obviously, but, I dunno... *shrug*

SirServed
02-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Trick more or less explained why the DLC was lackluster during a livestream in the past. Our current DLC3 was originally intended to be DLC4, but things don't always go as planned so they were swapped in order. Since I was pretty much warned, my judgment is at recess until the alleged content filled DLC4 hits my eyes.

JEMINAI
02-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Trion spent over $70 million developing the game so money wasn't really the issue initally. Word of mouth and bad reviews killed sales at launch which is what really handicapped the game in terms of development on a going forward basis.

The forum moderators and the development team are completely different assets so it bears zero relevancy to look at the activity of one to make judgments about the other. Trick would probably be delighted if he had a dozen extra people to staff development but it's not as if they would be coming from the forum moderator staff. >^^<

oh you can see there was good intentions originally, although the advertising was pretty vague at first, i didnt come across it until a week b4 launch. so i wasnt deterred by the negative hype and comparisons to every other game out there. (i remember signing up with vbi thats about it) but once said lunchbox was developed it was packaged and pushed out with no actual plans to see it grow. in fact we were presented with quite the opposite scenario.

my distaste goes beyond the Dev team and towards whomever is making the decisions to let us all rot.
but i do come to the forums because this is the contact point.
ive done the ingame bug reports and feedback etc. not once have i "spoken" to any GM. just solutions provided when i log back in. (im picturing the janitor answering requests on his tea break).
they are all under the trion umbrella and to the consumer they are all representatives.

without being spiteful, i plan to avoid any trion game in future.
its not like im starved for choice.

JEMINAI
02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Which is why I say inform them. If everyone complains to the Defiance Team, nothing happens. If people start to complain directly to the highers at Trion, there is a *better* chance of something being fixed (albeit still a low one). If management at the top is like some of us perceive the management of Defiance to be, then there are probably a lot of high level guys in Trion that don't know (other than $$$) about the blunder (and recent DLC blunder) that is killing Defiance.

Speculation, obviously, but, I dunno... *shrug*

if the dev team cant illustrate to their employers what the fans are clearly stating then its already over.

Storm58
02-10-2014, 01:44 PM
if the dev team cant illustrate to their employers what the fans are clearly stating then its already over.

We aren't behind the scenes. We don't know that they are even trying to do so. We don't know who is saying what to whom. All we know is that we come on here to complain to each other and with the hopes (sometimes) that one of the Defiance Team members will see it and comment. What we *typically* don't do is complain to the MUCH higher management.

We know (believe) that our complaints here generate no (hyperbole) positive changes. Why not direct some of this attention towards the much highers? A complaint is a complaint. Maybe the people with the actual power to change stuff will get tired of the bad noise at their door.

Just an idea, hence the *shrug* before. :)

Binky
02-10-2014, 01:59 PM
That is exactly why when you encounter bugs and other issues in game, you should go to the settings area in-game and report the bug that way and how to reproduce it. You are better likely to get support for that feature/bug then than to come on here and complain about it.
I see you've never had reports and comments disappear with no comment or action.

dramaQkarri
02-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Oh please. The "higher-ups" at Trion could give two craps about what any of us think or what happens to us. Sorry, but there are a LOT of owners/presidents/GM's/etc. out there who are out for ONE thing - their own reputation to their superiors, and their own personal financial gain. I've worked for many of this personality type. All us suckers who put money into Trion's hoppers can only blame ourselves for trusting this to be a good investment. BTW, I'm still enjoying playing Defiance anyway. Poor sucker me.

Manstan
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
The best thing for growing indifference is plenty of fertilizer.

Bonehead
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM
The best thing for growing indifference is plenty of fertilizer.

Trion supplies plenty of that.

JustaMule
02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Trion spent over $70 million developing the game

70? Really? Seriously???

Eve online launched with less than a 10th of that, stumbled around for a year, and then took off like a freight train on a downhill track.
Star Citizen is still in its earliest stages and has pulled in only 1/3 of that... and is looking drop dead gorgeous for what it has developed so far.

I think, perhaps on the outside, Trion invested 7 mil... though it feels these days like they hired a half dozen code jockeys still in their second year of comp sci to build the game for, maybe what... $700 total?

3rdpig
02-10-2014, 07:11 PM
This game was doomed right out of the gate. Bad reviews, message board complaints, fired devs, game breaking bugs, missing content, huge price drops for the game itself, outrageous store prices for cosmetic items, etc, etc. All within the first month or so. Had they somehow managed to keep the staff needed to fix it they could have fixed it, but it might have driven them bankrupt in the process. Too bad, maybe then it would have been handed over to a company without all the baggage. And who knows, when the original contract is up it still might go to a company who has the desire, talent and staff to do something with it.

Arsenic_Touch
02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Trick more or less explained why the DLC was lackluster during a livestream in the past. Our current DLC3 was originally intended to be DLC4, but things don't always go as planned so they were swapped in order. Since I was pretty much warned, my judgment is at recess until the alleged content filled DLC4 hits my eyes.

That's all well and good but the fact that they were going to introduce this to as as content after a story update is kind of hilarious "here's some content and here's ... some leftovers" instead we got the leftovers first and now we're getting the story? swapping them doesn't take away from the fact that it was completely recycled content that wasn't implemented properly. Let's not forget that they knew they swapped them yet had no qualms about teasing it as if it was something more than it really was. Something that they've come to be very well versed in.

They're still recycling content (more arenas) so is DLC 5 going to be a remake of the arkbreaker? or perhaps a remake of arkfalls?

Fenruswolf
02-10-2014, 07:20 PM
In before lock.

Bonehead
02-10-2014, 07:40 PM
That's all well and good but the fact that they were going to introduce this to as as content after a story update is kind of hilarious "here's some content and here's ... some leftovers" instead we got the leftovers first and now we're getting the story? swapping them doesn't take away from the fact that it was completely recycled content that wasn't implemented properly. Let's not forget that they knew they swapped them yet had no qualms about teasing it as if it was something more than it really was. Something that they've come to be very well versed in.

They're still recycling content (more arenas) so is DLC 5 going to be a remake of the arkbreaker? or perhaps a remake of arkfalls?

Recycle, remake... it's all just tired hand me down stuff.

Binky
02-10-2014, 08:44 PM

New game mechanic.
Since the floating "Uprising's" were so popular, the new Arkfalls are going to be at the bottom of a pit that we shoot down into.
Here's the clincher:
Some people will fall into the pit.

(Actually, I thought a Bug in the game that we fight similar to an 'AntLion' woulda been kewl, but alas, suggestions were never well recieved....)

skepticck
02-10-2014, 09:13 PM
The higher Trion leadership is responsible for any problems with Defiance. It's not as if Greg, Elizabeth and Trip can dictate what they get in terms of staffing and other resources. Budgeting and resource allocation are ultimately the province of the CEO, CFO and the COO of a company, not the division heads.

I was thinking about this and i agree... in part, yes the bigwigs are responsible for the fact that pretty much the whole team was sacked and that they were left with close to no resources to continue working on the game and the DLC's,
BUT who was responsible for the way they managed and utilized those precious few resources, for example when they should have been working on the numerous bugs, on optimization, on new features and on the dlc's content they chose to instead completely change the grenade system, add useless stims and spikes or add little carets over players and npc's heads.
Was that really the best use of resources? and who was responsible for that?

Amack
02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
My indifference towards this thread is growing.

Holy Bahamut3
02-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Then please carry onto the next thread. :-)

Amack
02-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Then please carry onto the next thread. :-)

;) Sounds like a plan!

Bonehead
02-10-2014, 10:17 PM

I get it..

Amack
02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
I get it..

Don't hurt yourself like last time.

Bonehead
02-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Don't hurt yourself like last time.

http://www.marontherun.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/LightbulbIdea.jpg

Shogo_Yahagi
02-11-2014, 07:46 AM
It's like they don't understand that I own other games that don't crash after an hour of play.

Binky
02-11-2014, 07:50 AM
It's like they don't understand that I own other games that don't crash after an hour of play.
Well, that's not a stretch, really, no matter how ironic the baseline problem is.
The baseline problem is that they don't [seem to] understand their own game.

@ Bonehead:
Love the British Empire light bulb pic.
;)

Elric1
02-11-2014, 07:57 AM
All I had to do is read the first page. Guys guys guys.. we had been 'reporting' off and on since beta. B E T A. The were warned by beta testers and the beta testers were ignored and it's been like that nearly every since. The talk about next gen is GONE. This ship is dead the minute online is not accessible anymore.
What worse is friends who are angry gets banned from here and in less than a minute they are back with a new identity so they aren't even using basic tech to keep banned people out of the forums.

The dlcs is only because they are obligated to those with a season pass which I am one of but after I delete this off my hard drive again it's going in the trash. The potential was there and they HAVE made improvements. But their desire to go forward is dead and completely frustrating.

Now on PS4 the MMO friendly console there is Final Fantasy realm reborn, Elder Scrolls Online, EverQuest Next and for Defiance fans there is possibly of a 'sorta' resurrection with Destiny from Bungie. (seems very much like this game)

But as for Defiance? it is certainly defying til the end but less than two years it will be. Sorry guys.
Trion? Want to make some money? bring Your real MMO to the next gen consoles. Seems most, important IPs are.

N3gativeCr33p
02-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Now on PS4 the MMO friendly console there is Final Fantasy realm reborn, Elder Scrolls Online, EverQuest Next and for Defiance fans there is possibly of a 'sorta' resurrection with Destiny from Bungie. (seems very much like this game)

You forgot to mention DCUO, which also happened to be pretty successful on the PS3.

Elric1
02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Ah thinking PS4. sad no MMOs was ready for PS4 at launch. That is the biggest selling point for me is how good they are to MMO communities compared to Xbox Live. (apparently Xbox wants to require live and sub while PS is saying you use yer own servers so no need for our plus services being required.)
Man PS is cheaper apparently more potent a system. So many reason to go that route.

N3gativeCr33p
02-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Ah thinking PS4. sad no MMOs was ready for PS4 at launch.

Incorrect... DCUO was totally downloadable at the PS4's launch, and I should also mention that it's F2P.