PDA

View Full Version : um ... can anyone explain this, please?

Llewxam
02-27-2014, 09:50 PM
this has been the first time i've ever seen this game completely devoid of life. i've ran the entire map and i was completely alone. i've done an incursion on my own, fought volge after volge all alone .... what is going on?! this is kinda depressing. is there something going on with the servers i don't know about or is it me? :confused:

crasher
02-27-2014, 10:11 PM
The answer is '42'.

clubside
02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
This is a common problem, there are even two other older threads still on page one commenting on this.

Defiance, like most MMOs, uses a shard ssytem. Long ago I read they optimized the game for 200 human players at any one time. If that is true then at some point, as more people log in, they have to create new shards and put people there. You are obviously in an empty one.

A couple of options: log out and then back in, doesn't often work; if you have friends online, look at the Friends page of SOCIAL in your EGO, anyone with a red marker to the left of their name is in a different shard so use Go To Friend to enter their shard; run a co-op, you will often be dumped out into a busier shard and at least there are some other people for a bit lol

To Trion: if 200 is the max per shard, what is the cut-off? I would hope at 125 people you start putting them into a new shard and then when that gets up to 50 you could sea-saw new logins until 175, leaving some wiggle room for friends teleporting to other shards. The key is a low number to create a new shard and a balance as to when to keep adding people to the busier shard.

Bottom line, it is POSSIBLE (but improbable) you logged in, they put you in a new shard, then either no one else logged in or they started putting people in the busy shard for some reason leaving you alone.

Llewxam
02-27-2014, 10:41 PM
The answer is '42'.
good thing i brought my towel

Llewxam
02-27-2014, 10:42 PM
This is a common problem, there are even two other older threads still on page one commenting on this.

Defiance, like most MMOs, uses a shard ssytem. Long ago I read they optimized the game for 200 human players at any one time. If that is true then at some point, as more people log in, they have to create new shards and put people there. You are obviously in an empty one.

A couple of options: log out and then back in, doesn't often work; if you have friends online, look at the Friends page of SOCIAL in your EGO, anyone with a red marker to the left of their name is in a different shard so use Go To Friend to enter their shard; run a co-op, you will often be dumped out into a busier shard and at least there are some other people for a bit lol

To Trion: if 200 is the max per shard, what is the cut-off? I would hope at 125 people you start putting them into a new shard and then when that gets up to 50 you could sea-saw new logins until 175, leaving some wiggle room for friends teleporting to other shards. The key is a low number to create a new shard and a balance as to when to keep adding people to the busier shard.

Bottom line, it is POSSIBLE (but improbable) you logged in, they put you in a new shard, then either no one else logged in or they started putting people in the busy shard for some reason leaving you alone.

seems possible. it was so sad, i guess, to be wandering around not seeing a single person.

Bonehead
02-27-2014, 10:51 PM
good thing i brought my towel

Amen brother/sister.

Llewxam
02-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Amen brother/sister.
brother, last i checked.

hey u
02-28-2014, 12:36 AM
seems possible. it was so sad, i guess, to be wandering around not seeing a single person.

On PS3 Na and it happens all the time and is a total Buzz Killington.