PDA

View Full Version : Grenade Launcher needs some work.

Phatman
04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Currently, getting nube-tubed is the most frustrating thing about this game for me. Aside from all the bugs/connections issues, hearing a thunk,thunk,thunk followed by boom,boom,boom in less than a second is completely ridiculous. I don't mind getting headshot from across the map, cause that is hard. It takes some skill. The grenade launcher though... man, idk.

I think that it could be balanced by slowing down the fire rate by about 50% or lessen the overall damage but make it have a larger blast radius.

Thoughts?

Chaddington
04-02-2013, 04:41 PM
The fix for this will be in a upcoming future patch. Please keep the feedback coming though.

Chaddington

Phatman
04-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Wow, quick response, straight from a dev! That's what I like to see. That's customers service my friend thank you very much. I will continue to support your great game.

g0dm0d
04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Agreed, Trion has a great team of developers and is the main reason I jumped on the Defiance band wagon. They listen to the players.

Chaddington
04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Fix should be going in sooner then expected.

Cheers

Chaddington

Phatman
04-02-2013, 07:24 PM
What is the fix? If you don't mind me asking... :)

Chaddington
04-02-2013, 07:28 PM
You should see a reduced rate of fire for (Auto Lobber type Detonators).
You will see the Crash Boomer Re-bounder Lobber, Auto Lobber get a damage per projectile decrease due to them not requiring an actual "Click" detonation.

These still have to be checked through QA and may be subject to change.

Thanks,

Chaddington

Nutter
04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
this is definitely my biggest complaint with pvp right now for sure. i also was thinking maybe make grenades not explode on ground impact but maybe make them bounce or roll around for a second. there are many options, but man the current state is beyond frustrating.

Chaddington
04-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey Nutter,

The detonators come in all shapes and sizes some bounce, some stick, some super bounce, some detonate on ground impact. We did this by design to give various gameplay styles for people. I am sure you will find a Auto Lobber or Rebounder that fits your play style.

Tigerblood
04-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd suggest you stay away from waterfront unless you plan on doing the the lobber/launcher thing. Quake much? Anyways, great to see this is getting patched.

Kroktar
04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
i just wonder with all that technology and shields and you still get 1shot... Maps just last 2 min everyone just die fast....

Aeekto
04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
i just wonder with all that technology and shields and you still get 1shot... Maps just last 2 min everyone just die fast....

Easy answer:
Most just want to do damage and be sneaky so they only pick damage perks and very often "cloak" combined with a very aggressive gameplay without taking cover one single time.... because of that they all die pretty fast and most even die more often than they make kills ;)

DS Triggah
04-02-2013, 10:59 PM
this is so true there are soo many type of guns out there im 220+ ego rating now still havnt found the shotgun i loved in the beta lol MERGHH!!!
Hey Nutter,

The detonators come in all shapes and sizes some bounce, some stick, some super bounce, some detonate on ground impact. We did this by design to give various gameplay styles for people. I am sure you will find a Auto Lobber or Rebounder that fits your play style.

Reza
04-03-2013, 01:30 PM
The fix for this will be in a upcoming future patch. Please keep the feedback coming though.

Chaddington

Please don't completely nerf the Auto Lobber. It's my favorite gun in the game so far. The rate of fire combined with the explosive power is so much fun to use. Reduce the clip size not the fire rate or damage!

It's not that easy to aim bouncing grenades in PvP - but when you have 10 in a clip 3-4 are bound to hit your mark.

Also consider increasing the maximum ammo capacity in PvE as it lasts for about 1 fire fight and then you are completely out (specifically noticeable in the co-op instances).

Part of why the pvp matchmaking is so fun is how fast it is. It requires good reaction time and accuracy. Yes some weapons may need slight tuning - but please Trion, don't do what you did in Rift with balance changes early on and completely cripple one asset making it unplayable while buffing another and making it exceedingly over powered. Minor tuning goes a long way and can make all the difference. Drastic changes to balance are not necessary.

The huge variation in guns, especially within weapon types is one of the best features of the game. I literally equip every single weapon I get even if its white and at first glance a stat loss just to see how it shoots. The last thing I want to see a month or so down the line is every player using the same type of shotgun/sniper/SMG ect. because it is the 'best'. Fotm weapons is the last thing this game needs. Slight tuning where applicable over massive changes (unless of course necessary) is the way to go. Check the numbers and see which guns are the least used and adjust those accordingly but please don't balance a gun just because everyone is using it. It's likely that people are choosing it not just because it's powerful but also enjoyable to use. Case in point the Auto Lobber - keep it fun and distinct - don't change it at it's core for the sake of balance.

Reza
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Well it seems too late. As the nerf already took place. And sadly, as expected, the Auto lobber is now useless as it is almost identical to the cluster shot shotgun just with 1/7th the amount of total ammo, and a smaller clip for a maybe slightly greater blast radius?

The future looks bleak for this game if future balance trends this way. It'll be a shame when we'll all be running with the same exact 5 or so guns in a month from now.

Wish developers would implement separate rule sets for pvp and pve

DustOfDeath
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
LOL so here is the pvp cry thread that nerfed autolobber to oblivion. Its absolutely useless in pve. The min max range with low explosion radius, slow speed, reduced clip + it bounces (not 100% accurate).

Why was the "fix" done based off the PVP point of view only?

Phatman
04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I created the thread. I had no control over what was going to be done. My suggestion was to do 1 of the following. Reduce overall damage and increase the blast radius OR reduce fire rate by 50%. Either of those would have been fine with me. It sounds like they went a little overboard on this one.

eclipsXe
04-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Grenade Launcher is still OP!

Shismar
04-04-2013, 06:30 AM
So what did you do to retain its usability in PvE?

I mean, it is understandable that PvP players like weapons nerfed, they always do depending on what style they favour themselves, but just destroying every weapon for PvE cannot be the answer. It is not possible to truly balance PvP combat in an MMO setting. All you get is a lacklustre and boring PvE game.

If damages or effects need to be tweaked, make sure they only affect players in PvP. Don't let those nerfs spill over to PvE.

Woody
04-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Throw a grenade, stealth, 1 hit kill.

Chaddington
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
So what did you do to retain its usability in PvE?

I mean, it is understandable that PvP players like weapons nerfed, they always do depending on what style they favour themselves, but just destroying every weapon for PvE cannot be the answer. It is not possible to truly balance PvP combat in an MMO setting. All you get is a lacklustre and boring PvE game.

If damages or effects need to be tweaked, make sure they only affect players in PvP. Don't let those nerfs spill over to PvE.

We did specific balancing to detonators that still keep them on par with other weapons in pve. With the right perks and ammo usage there shouldn't be a huge degrade in pve. We noticed that the Detonators were doing far more damage then intended both in pve and pvp. That is why we addressed them quickly.

Thanks,

Chaddington

Reza
04-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Throw a grenade, stealth, 1 hit kill.

Grenade =/= detonator

Reza
04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
We did specific balancing to detonators that still keep them on par with other weapons in pve. With the right perks and ammo usage there shouldn't be a huge degrade in pve. We noticed that the Detonators were doing far more damage then intended both in pve and pvp. That is why we addressed them quickly.

Thanks,

Chaddington

They are on par from a stats perspective but the variation has been greatly reduced as well which is a huge negative in my opinion and goes beyond balance. Please make future balance changes retain the unique feel of the particular weapon at least if you must reduce it's effectiveness.

Consider retaining the current effective damage of the Auto Lobber but revert it's fire rate to what it was previously. I feel that reducing the clip size, the fire rate and the damage was a bit extreme but that I would still use the gun in question today if it were solely the damage that was changed to bring it in line with it's current effective damage potential.

Variety and individuality largely comes from weapon and perk choices in the game. If anything do all you can to increase variety and at least preserve what's already in place.