PDA

View Full Version : Playing has been very frustrating -- lag, disconnects, restarts, etc.....

vinceram
03-05-2014, 12:06 AM
I love this game!

I would gladly pay a monthly fee (on top of the DLC's) to play Defiance -- assuming ALL connection issues, etc. would be addressed. Am I missing something????

clubside
03-05-2014, 04:07 AM
You need to tell us what server you are on (platform and location such as PC NA or PS3 EU).

In terms of stability it goes PC > Xbox 360 > PS3.

No online game can be free of all connection issues since you are not wired directly to the game host. In addition to the traditional server hopping from you to the game if you are on a console there is the secondary connection to Xbox Live or PSN.

Amun Ra
03-05-2014, 04:32 AM
XBox, PS"X", all those things suck compared to PC.
I don't get why people buy those silly things, while PC is superior to all...

Atticus Batman
03-05-2014, 04:45 AM

If it was superior you wouldn't have to upgrade any part of it every few months like most Pc owners do.

Etaew
03-05-2014, 04:58 AM
If it was superior you wouldn't have to upgrade any part of it every few months like most Pc owners do.

It's hard not to get sucked into the master race debate, but we upgrade because we can and the games we play (except this one :() scale according to hardware.

Bentu
03-05-2014, 05:05 AM
I don't know about superior but every vid I've seen on pc there is no where near the same amount of detail I have on xbox.

drackiller
03-05-2014, 06:14 AM

Superior beings shouldn`t have the need to always have to state their "superiority".

drackiller
03-05-2014, 06:15 AM
It's hard not to get sucked into the master race debate, but we upgrade because we can and the games we play (except this one :() scale according to hardware.

While we play the same games you play without needing to upgrade year, after year...

Elastik Spastik
03-05-2014, 06:16 AM
I was playing on xbox when defiance was released and about october last year I decided to convert to pc thus having to buy defiance again. PC is so much better graphic wise than xbox. Xbox was no where near as good as the pc version.

There is no need to upgrade year after year. You can buy good stuff and it will last a long time without having to upgrade. I converted to pc because the graphics are so much better in every game and multiplayer caps and maps are so much bigger in some games. What I have now is still better than the new gen consoles.

Yeah it's more expensive but it's so worth it in my eyes. But each to their own.

N3gativeCr33p
03-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Superior beings shouldn`t have the need to always have to state their "superiority".

Amen. Well said, kind sir!

I played for a few hours yesterday after work... no lagging, no disconnects, no restarts.

Oh yeah... Xbox 360/NA.

Master race, indeed... :rolleyes:

drackiller
03-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Amen. Well said, kind sir!

I played for a few hours yesterday after work... no lag, no disconnects, no restart.

Oh yeah... Xbox 360/NA.

Master race, indeed... :rolleyes:
Thank you young man ;) feel free to add me on PS4 :)

SirKidd
03-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Pc is better in regard to achievable graphics and speed and overall experince.
How ever console gaming is cheaper and far more reliable espically if your not a very tech based person.

Each has there advantages and disadvantages it just depends on how you personally feel more comfitable. Its like android vs apple. Neither is perfect but have things there better at it just depends on what you feel better with

drackiller
03-05-2014, 06:22 AM
How ever console gaming is cheaper and far more reliable espically if your not a very tech based person.

Each has there advantages and disadvantages it just depends on how you personally feel more comfitable. Its like android vs apple. Neither is perfect but have things there better at it just depends on what you feel better with

A very wise person you are.

N3gativeCr33p
03-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Thank you young man ;) feel free to add me on PS4 :)

Your PSN ID is the same as what's in your sig, I'm guessing?

drackiller
03-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Your PSN ID is the same as what's in your sig, I'm guessing?

Yup, i keep it simple :)
With luck we`ll be playing ESO on PS4 in june i guess ? :)

N3gativeCr33p
03-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Yup, i keep it simple :)
With luck we`ll be playing ESO on PS4 in june i guess ? :)

Only if it's good enough to drag me away from consistently playing DCUO on my PS4, with the rest of my league that I've been in since 2010-2011.

I'll send you a PSN invite once I get home from work...

vinceram
03-05-2014, 10:15 AM
You need to tell us what server you are on (platform and location such as PC NA or PS3 EU).

In terms of stability it goes PC > Xbox 360 > PS3.

No online game can be free of all connection issues since you are not wired directly to the game host. In addition to the traditional server hopping from you to the game if you are on a console there is the secondary connection to Xbox Live or PSN.

I play on a PS3 NA server -- I've implemented all the suggested strategies to help improve connection/performance (PS3 network test through XMB indicates a 20+MB/s down and 4+MB/s upload), but it just hasn't helped. Regardless if you're on a pc/xbox/ps3, it shouldn't matter. Or are you aware of info that the PSN isn't very good for MMO's.

clubside
03-05-2014, 11:57 AM
My guess was you were on the PS3. Without boring you with the details there are certain hardware design realities that hamper the PS3 with cross-platform development and I'm afraid needed optimizations aren't there so you'll have to either "like it and lump it" for now or adapt to some unpleasant manual procedures to have a better time. As a player on all three platforms using the same router my experiences may not be the same but hopefully they can point you to a more tolerable reality.

The main issue is RAM, the amount of memory on hand for the game. You may see "network timeout" and other issues and there are definitely cases where the connection to Defiance and to PSN create two potential faults but you can never really trust the error messages to tell you the whole truth so the bottom line is to be prepared to manually quit the game under certain circumstances and then re-launch it.

I have never been inside to fight the WarMaster (I'm always disconnected during the loading screen) so my experience isn't universal but there is definitely a correlation between loading screens and degraded performance. There is also a memory leak issue that over time will lead the game to crash or lock up your PS3.

When doing major events where there are a lot of players around these issues are compounded. For that reason whenever I've finished a major event (major arkfall, siege, incursion) I fast travel to Last Chance and then log out and quit to the XMB and then re-launch the game. I've been able to play all night doing this as necessary (and avoiding major arkbreaks with the WarMaster) to avoid any disconnects or hard crashes. I also manually quit every few hours if all I have been doing is missions and emergencies but have fast traveled a fair amount. If you notice after fast traveling the world takes a bit too long to come into view (HUD doesn't display, vehicle won't rez, etc.) things are slowly degrading and the longer you put off quitting and restarting the more likely you'll eventually get a timeout error or a hard freeze.

I don't know if it's a generic issue with MMOs having never played DCUO on my PS3 but there are bound to be issues with Defiance needing to communicate with both its own servers and PSN (for friends information which is constantly updated).

It is far more frustrating having played the PC version for months to experience the compromises and performance and connection issues on both consoles but if you approach the PS3 version with some understanding of its limitations you can manage your experience to make it a bit better.

You'll find any number of long-time PS3 players here on this forum, including some who've been around since launch and had it far worse than me or you, so hopefully if there are other suggestions they'll chime in.

Good luck and have fun!

N3gativeCr33p
03-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't know if it's a generic issue with MMOs having never played DCUO on my PS3 but there are bound to be issues with Defiance needing to communicate with both its own servers and PSN (for friends information which is constantly updated).

Oh... it's a "generic" issue with MMOs on the PS3, make no mistake about it. I couldn't wait to get my hands on a PS4 and be able to play DCUO in pure and complete enjoyment, much like the PC players of the game have had it from the game's launch back in 2010-2011.

TL;DR... the PS3 is one large, underpowered, and expensive paper weight. ;)

drackiller
03-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Oh... it's a "generic" issue with MMOs on the PS3, make no mistake about it. I couldn't wait to get my hands on a PS4 and be able to play DCUO in pure and complete enjoyment, much like the PC players of the game have had it from the game's launch back in 2010-2011.

TL;DR... the PS3 is one large, underpowered, and expensive paper weight. ;)

I must disagree with you on this, Defiance is the only online game that has problems in this regard.
I never played DCUO much on my PS3 but i can tell you that it runs smoothly on the PS3, and all other games that have online features works as intended, the exception being Defiance.

Amun Ra
03-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Each has there advantages and disadvantages it just depends on how you personally feel more comfitable. Its like android vs apple. Neither is perfect but have things there better at it just depends on what you feel better with Makes sense, I think.
Thank you for the answer.

As for my text, I did not mean to rub any feathers, my apologies.
I put my words wrongly.
it was actually meant as a question, my bad.

N3gativeCr33p
03-05-2014, 04:07 PM
I never played DCUO much on my PS3 but i can tell you that it runs smoothly on the PS3...

Well there's your problem, then... you "didn't play it much" on the PS3. Over the course of 3+ years playing that game, I can't even begin to imagine how many times my PS3 would lock up trying to do something simple... it would anger me beyond belief all over again. There were days in its infancy on the PS3 where you couldn't even simply run down the street in Gotham City or Metropolis without your PS3 either freezing up completely, or getting a big fat disconnect from the servers. I'm not even going to relay the mess of problems that it (still) has running eight man operations out in the open world with any kind of regularity. And each and every time my PS3 would freeze up, it always wanted to run a stupid scan of my hard drive after performing a hard reboot.

Bottom line... I wouldn't try playing any kind of an MMO on the PS3 even if someone paid me to. Simply put, it's just not worth the hassle. My PS3 is where it belongs now... out in our living room as nothing more than a blu-ray player, and small doses of offline game play.

Sorry, but it looks like another case of "we'll have to agree to disagree" this time around. ;)

Atticus Batman
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
I must disagree with you on this, Defiance is the only online game that has problems in this regard.
I never played DCUO much on my PS3 but i can tell you that it runs smoothly on the PS3, and all other games that have online features works as intended, the exception being Defiance.

Guess you never played Mass Effect 3 multiplayer against Collectors, or on the Condor map on your Ps3 have you?

Sliverbaer
03-05-2014, 06:39 PM
I need to get a PVR so I can create a video of playing PS3 side-by-side with PC. The difference isn't even funny. I switched over playing on PC and glad I no longer run into fences that have yet to load. It's sad, but true. I miss my pre-order items (red challenger, outlander outfit), but oh well.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?119750-%95-%95-%95-Who-has-HARD-LOCKS-CONSOLE-FREEZES-Chime-In-Trion-Wants-To-Know-%95-%95-%95

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?150786-Critcal-Errors-Disconnections-Sound-Issues-Hard-Freezes

Seems I can't find my post about the memory leak. Guess they deleted it. Oh well, such is life in Defiance.

drackiller
03-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Well there's your problem, then... you "didn't play it much" on the PS3. Over the course of 3+ years playing that game, I can't even begin to imagine how many times my PS3 would lock up trying to do something simple... it would anger me beyond belief all over again. There were days in its infancy on the PS3 where you couldn't even simply run down the street in Gotham City or Metropolis without your PS3 either freezing up completely, or getting a big fat disconnect from the servers. I'm not even going to relay the mess of problems that it (still) has running eight man operations out in the open world with any kind of regularity. And each and every time my PS3 would freeze up, it always wanted to run a stupid scan of my hard drive after performing a hard reboot.

Bottom line... I wouldn't try playing any kind of an MMO on the PS3 even if someone paid me to. Simply put, it's just not worth the hassle. My PS3 is where it belongs now... out in our living room as nothing more than a blu-ray player, and small doses of offline game play.

Sorry, but it looks like another case of "we'll have to agree to disagree" this time around. ;)
No prob, like i said i played very little and from my experience it looked fine. The thing that made stop playing was the HUB, it is too big and i always lost my way in there, not to mention that to help my disorientation i allways drink a few beers while i`m playing. :)

drackiller
03-06-2014, 01:14 AM
Guess you never played Mass Effect 3 multiplayer against Collectors, or on the Condor map on your Ps3 have you?

Never played Mass Effect at all, and that is one of the things that i intend to remedie :cool:

I`m more the kind of guy that puts hundreds of hours playing games like Fallout, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc. These are more my kind of games.
That`s why i`m such a lone wolf playing this kind of games online, i like to play alone because i`m very asocial.
Do not mistake it with antisocial :)

Atticus Batman
03-06-2014, 01:40 AM
Never played Mass Effect at all, and that is one of the things that i intend to remedie :cool:

I`m more the kind of guy that puts hundreds of hours playing games like Fallout, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc. These are more my kind of games.
That`s why i`m such a lone wolf playing this kind of games online, i like to play alone because i`m very asocial.

Those are all fun games, just wish I could afford a new copy of Skyrim.

Elastik Spastik
03-06-2014, 01:43 AM

Mate ME 1,2 and 3 is one of the best games trilogies of all time. The story is amazing graphics are amazing and to me it feels like everytime i create a different character im playing a new game.

Elastik Spastik
03-06-2014, 01:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN2QUhaKN2Q

Everybody needs this game in their life.

Amun Ra
03-06-2014, 03:20 AM
The ME series is indeed awesome.
Enjoyed countless hours in there.

You need to remedy that indeed.

drackiller
03-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Mate ME 1,2 and 3 is one of the best games trilogies of all time. The story is amazing graphics are amazing and to me it feels like everytime i create a different character im playing a new game.

I believe you, that`s why it`s on my list of must buy. The problem is that i don`t have the time to play every thing i want, nor my eyes help much, i`m starting to get old. My eyes at least are.

Elastik Spastik
03-06-2014, 03:34 AM
I believe you, that`s why it`s on my list of must buy. The problem is that i don`t have the time to play every thing i want, nor my eyes help much, i`m starting to get old. My eyes at least are.

drackiller
03-06-2014, 04:04 AM
LOL, what did i just watched ? :)

N3gativeCr33p
03-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Those are all fun games, just wish I could afford a new copy of Skyrim.

I have a slightly used copy of Skyrim, if you're interested... I've hardly played it. ;)

(Just never got into it as much as I did with Fallout 3.)