PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a new(ish) player

kringled
03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
So I've been playing for a few weeks so far (PC, I'm in NA so presumably on the server there). I have the base game, none of the DLC at this point, just reached EGO 517. I've been primarily doing Main Missions (finished Cut Off the Head) and the Episode missions (all done). I bought the game primarily because I was fed up with the map limits and no joining of friends from the trial version...only to have my friends give up on the game shortly thereafter. Well, at least I've gotten to explore a lot of the map. I've been mostly playing solo because of this, and I'm treating this game as more of a casual game experience for me. Some random questions that I haven't been able to settle by reading so far:

1) What things would be recommended to do when on a lonely shard (since I think that's what's happened to me a bunch of times)? I have been able to solo a range of minor Arkfalls, and most of the missions have been pretty soloable; the few side missions even more so. I did my first Incursion last night with 3-4 people (Mutants at Serenity Academy) which went alright, but I wouldn't want to do the siege with less (and I can see why not many more). I've been to a number of failed major arkfalls with too few people.

2) What's the difference between area and zone chat?

3) I'm still figuring out whether I should break down items I don't want or sell them at a vendor (and I guess I should do the same for weapons that I've mastered where I have something else better or where I don't like the mastery roll). Salvage is used for buying keycodes, and for opening mod slots; anything else intensive? Cause it seems like I have a lot more salvage than scrip.

4) Is there any use to anti-vehicle weapons other than in PvP? (I haven't done any in Defiance, probably going to stick to co-operative PvE activities)

5) Back to the lonely shard question: anything that can be done to move if one has an emptyish friends list?

6) Where is the Overpass? (I've seen references to events occuring near it in zone chat)

Thanks to everyone for reading and for any answers.

Etaew
03-07-2014, 04:57 PM
1) What things would be recommended to do when on a lonely shard
Get out of there, find a friend of clan member to jump to.

2) What's the difference between area and zone chat?
Area is purple dots, visible range, zone is zone.

3) I'm still figuring out whether I should break down items I don't want or sell them at a vendor (and I guess I should do the same for weapons that I've mastered where I have something else better or where I don't like the mastery roll). Salvage is used for buying keycodes, and for opening mod slots; anything else intensive? Cause it seems like I have a lot more salvage than scrip.
Scrip is essentially meaningless unless you want to buy the Dodge Challenger for 36k? at a vendor or if you want to trade with players. Salvage is used when you perform Salvage Matrix functions, but I don't use it a lot.

4) Is there any use to anti-vehicle weapons other than in PvP? (I haven't done any in Defiance, probably going to stick to co-operative PvE activities)
None, and even PvP is meh.

5) Back to the lonely shard question: anything that can be done to move if one has an emptyish friends list?Make friends, sad but true. There is no real trick to m oving yourself from shards.

6) Where is the Overpass? (I've seen references to events occuring near it in zone chat)
Over the Golden Gate Bridge in the middle of San Francisco, or check out DD for the map. http://www.defiancedata.com/location.php?id=91

Arsenic_Touch
03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
1. Find an active clan.
2. Area chat only applies to the people you can see on your minimap. Zone chat applies to the people on your shard.
3. Scrip and Salvage costs went up with the DLC, so you'll probably have less after the DLC goes live.
4. There is no reason to use them, even in pvp really.
5. There's nothing you can really do about that if you don't have people to jump shards to.
6. South of the bridge in the middle of san fransico.

http://i.imgur.com/4lSqczp.jpg

clubside
03-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Howdy! You're playing the game much like the single-player sandbox game it can be. I prefer to hold off on the story missions until after EGO 1000 (except for the getting a vehicle mission) since you get a better feel for the variety of weapon classes and decide on the importance on things like contracts but there's no one way to play.

1) I like doing minor arkfalls and emergencies around the Mount Tam Triangle. I'll also solo sieges as a way to level weapon classes I hate (snipers).

2) Area is roughly equivalent to the mini-map, Zone is everyone on your shard, so if nothing is showing up there it truly is a lonely one.. Before the great travesty of the "fixed" chat Zone actually worked server-wide.

3) After getting the "sell 15 items to vendors" pursuit I never sell item to the vendor, I always break them down. Too many useful things to be done with salvage while scrip is good for buying mods and little else.

4) No.

5) Logo out and back in. Quit to desktop and relaunch. Join a co-op match and hope to be dumped out in a busier shard at the end.

6) It is the main fast travel spot in San Francisco (about the center of that area) though there are two others.

Have fun!

crasher
03-07-2014, 05:58 PM
1. Find an active clan.
2. Area chat only applies to the people you can see on your minimap. Zone chat applies to the people on your shard.
3. Scrip and Salvage costs went up with the DLC, so you'll probably have less after the DLC goes live.
4. There is no reason to use them, even in pvp really.
5. There's nothing you can really do about that if you don't have people to jump shards to.
6. South of the bridge in the middle of san fransico.

http://i.imgur.com/4lSqczp.jpg

Trickster said something about scrappers maybe being classified as 'vehicles' at some point, but it was prolly just something he said and forgot.

kringled
03-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the quick answers all. It makes sense that I have no idea where the overpass is now, I've not explored San Francisco at all yet. A quick followup: any resources for finding clans on PC that might be active? Some of the links that I've seen seem to be fairly old; I've seen someone's signature for United Legions but past that no idea.

Arsenic_Touch
03-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Check the clan section and see which clan is still actively recruiting.

rebtattoo
03-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Check out the PC clan forum here:

http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?24-PC-Clans

Being in a clan and making a lot of friends is the easiest way to beat the "lonely shard". It can also be good in helping you learn things about the game that you have questions about. I'm in a great clan, but there are times when I "do my own thing".