PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to get some help from community about weapons

Morningstation
03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
I know I have been told dozens of times everything depends on your play style but I am hoping someone has a bit of wisdom to pass on regarding weapons and shields. What weapons are just down right useless and just junk? The same goes for shields. Also are there any weapons and shields I should be on the look out for because they are really really good and it would be ashamed to break them down because I was ignorant of it. I normally run with a cluster shot gun, ground-pounder, VBI AR, and a Telespanner. Also any advice on the better BMI and infectors could help too.

Bonehead
03-12-2014, 11:51 AM
I like either the Ironclad, or Respark shields depending on what I'm doing.
I like the smg because of it's hip accuracy.
I don't care much for the lmg, it's a fine weapon, that's just me.
Bird shot pump, auto pistol, disrupter, cold fire weapons, almost all BMGs, I will scrap in a heart beat.
My opinion only.

Morningstation
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
What are your thoughts on Zaggers and and the missile launcher weapons?

Bonehead
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Again this is only my opinion based on how I like to play mmkay?

I loves me some zagger sweetness. I only play pve so keep that in mind too. I like all the sawn offs except the vbi. I don't like how that one doesn't fire both barrels at once. The Nano Fragger is fun for it's knock back effect. It sends low level mobs rag dolling across the map.
As far as launchers go I like the sludge and the bonfire for laughs and the one that detonates in mid air and rains destruction down from above.
I can't remember it's name right now. Might be the Mass Cannon but I'm not sure.

Amack
03-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I really like a higher rarity Disrupter with good rolls and mods. They can be effective, even if they don't hit very hard.

Cold fire weapons are best used when solo since many people are not fans of the bright lights, this includes BMGs as well (but can be very effective if used properly)

I agree with everything else Bone said.

squidgod2000
03-12-2014, 12:32 PM
I use a VBI TACC AR and FRC Sub-Carbine SMG in my go-to loadout. The TACC gives me high damage/low ammo consumption at range (though it's less accurate than I'd like) and it doesn't suffer from damage falloff. The Sub-Carbine gives pinpoint hip-fire accuracy and good damage. Both weapons are semi-auto, which helps save ammo (important since they both draw from the same pool) and helps to keep you from falling in to spray-and-pray mode.

*Side note: My weapons of choice may not be the "best," and certainly aren't the most popular, but they fit my playstyle well and, more importantly, are 5k oranges with good rolls (3x reload rolls for the AR and 3x crit rolls for the SMG)

Weapons like Rocket Launchers, Detonators, and BMGs are just too situational to have any place in your standard loadout, though it's worth setting up alternate loadouts based on common combat situations. For example, when I'm fighting a bunch of hellbug warriors or monarchs, I switch to a FRC Sub-Carbine SMG/VBI GL-1 Ground Pounder Detonator, since the bomblets from the ground pounder ignore the high damage mitigation that those mobs have. If I'm fighting the Volge, I might switch to a VBI TACC AR/VBI HP-6 Wolfhound since the Volge are slow and have large crit spots.

I generally don't use shotguns, sniper rifles or infectors. While they have their place in the game (especially in PvP), they're just not good everyday weapons. With shotguns you'll find yourself constantly running after mobs you could have iced in half a second with an AR; with Sniper Rifles you'll tend to sit back and (boringly) pick off mobs one by one, but then have to run in close to click something before running back out to snipe (at a conflict site, for example); and with infectors you'll find yourself reloading often and praying for the bugs to not suck at exploding near stuff.

In the end, yes, it's about using whatever you are comfortable with. It's also a matter of playstyle. Some people like big explosions and AE-pwning mobs, while others, like myself, lean more towards ruthless efficiency.

As for shields, I don't think I've used anything other than a Respark since launch, despite not having a great one (I'm currently using the one from the Extra Life event). It has the best balance of HP/regen rate/regen time of any of them, though that may change with the shield revamp, if and when it happens. You might want something like an Ironclad for PvP, however, as that tends to involve shorter fights with high burst damage where regen time won't matter.

squidgod2000
03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I really like a higher rarity Disrupter with good rolls and mods. They can be effective, even if they don't hit very hard.

Post-LMG revamp Disruptors are pretty effective, especially with Fire Rate rolls. They're not great for crit-focused players, however, and many people are turned off by their low per-bullet damage.

BJWyler
03-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I know I have been told dozens of times everything depends on your play style but I am hoping someone has a bit of wisdom to pass on regarding weapons and shields. What weapons are just down right useless and just junk? The same goes for shields. Also are there any weapons and shields I should be on the look out for because they are really really good and it would be ashamed to break them down because I was ignorant of it. I normally run with a cluster shot gun, ground-pounder, VBI AR, and a Telespanner. Also any advice on the better BMI and infectors could help too.

Well it really does vary - primarily based on what you are doing at any particular moment (PvP - and which arena; the Battle Arenas; which particular Rampage or Hotshot, etc.)

Personally speaking I am using a Respark III DX which gives 3 sec recharge and 50% HP recovery.

Weapons-wise, my main loadout is a Sniper/AR. The sniper rifle I use is the Survivalist (from one of the special rewards - I forgot how I got it) and the AR is the XAR-22 (rewarded from the first Episode mission storyline). Neither one of course could be considered BiS by any means, but fortunately, one of the best things about this game is you don't need BiS to succeed - you just need to shoot straight and learn to dodge.

For Battle Arenas, I use an Infector and El Diablo (though I have been leveling a BMG there and still getting gold).

For PvP I got with my trusted sawed-off shottie with cloak and El Diablo.

Bonehead
03-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Yea the disrupter is a good enough weapon objectively.
My reluctance to use it is purely subjective.
Especially since they changed how it looks.
My second favorite rifle of all time is the blue emc service rifle from the hermits hidaway. It's a decent gun and it looks AWESOME.
With that and the frc sawn off from the same vendor you can rock the whole game.
Okay maybe not rock it but do well enough.

Bonehead
03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Well it really does vary - primarily based on what you are doing at any particular moment (PvP - and which arena; the Battle Arenas; which particular Rampage or Hotshot, etc.)

Personally speaking I am using a Respark III DX which gives 3 sec recharge and 50% HP recovery.

Weapons-wise, my main loadout is a Sniper/AR. The sniper rifle I use is the Survivalist (from one of the special rewards - I forgot how I got it) and the AR is the XAR-22 (rewarded from the first Episode mission storyline). Neither one of course could be considered BiS by any means, but fortunately, one of the best things about this game is you don't need BiS to succeed - you just need to shoot straight and learn to dodge.

For Battle Arenas, I use an Infector and El Diablo (though I have been leveling a BMG there and still getting gold).

For PvP I got with my trusted sawed-off shottie with cloak and El Diablo.

I loves me that El Diablo too.

maverick07
03-12-2014, 12:52 PM
A Radiation Disruptor was almost always in my secondary slot back when Volge Sieges first came out. It procs nanos quite well, isn't affected by falloff damage, and with all the pellets it fires, it's hard to miss with it, and it draws aggro a lot too. For these reasons Disruptors might be more effective with the new scoring system. Haven't used it yet since Gunslinger though.

The only weapons I really dislike are the Magnum pistol, Interceptor RL, Nomad SMG, Rocker LMG, and the Birdshot Pump. I can tolerate using the rest of em :).

Morningstation
03-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Thank you for all the great advice. Just two more questions...What is El Diablo and where do you find it...and i guess a third is where is the Hermit vendor?

Bonehead
03-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you for all the great advice. Just two more questions...What is El Diablo and where do you find it...and i guess a third is where is the Hermit vendor?

Hermits hideaway is just a bit north east of Top Notch in the hills at the end of a path.
The El Diablo is a mission reward SMG.

rebtattoo
03-12-2014, 02:28 PM
My load outs depend on what I'm getting ready to do.

I use different weapons shields and perks for each. I could list them all, but would rather not. Instead, will advise. Do like we all did. Experiment with each weapon and perk grid. Watch the leader boards, inspect them and then try to catch them in action to see if your play style is similar.

In Defiance, there is not a "clear cut" winning scheme.

Morningstation
03-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Oh the reason I was asking wasn't to copy anyone's build I just wanted mainly to know what is generally considered trash, (Northstar, Magnum, Birdshot) and what general weapons should i really keep an eye on so I don't trash like say a purple saw with radiation or the Blue Zagger with triple reload and quartermaster (almost broke it down when guildies told me not too..Was hoping there was just a quick guide to what is honestly utterly useless for PVE. I don't pvp at all.

Bonehead
03-12-2014, 05:54 PM
You should play a bit with the northstar before you write it off. With an expanded mag and some practice, It'll knock some d**ks in the dirt for sure.

MJS
03-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Just my personal opinion here but for pistols I like the TACC auto with a plus 12 mag. Same with a northstar,hard to get a handle on at first, but with the extra long mag they are fun and do high damage. The Clustershot is good untill you get to close and start taking damage from your own shots. I like the Auto shotgun for combat guns and a Castithan sweeper for pump shotguns. The pulsar seems to be a good submachine, the saw for a L.MGun. for BMGs I have found that the lower the percent x heal and DMG the longer your stream lasts between reloads. For a shield I have a respark vi and a rhino. When I pick up weapons if it's white I break them down into salvage so they don't clog up my inventory. Greens I sell to the vendors for scrip. Hope this helps, hope to see you in game.

xilfxlegion
03-13-2014, 11:58 AM

depends on what you are doing.

arkfalls --- i use either an ar or smg, and a stingray or weaver --- these bmgs are better than and less aggravating than the other bmgs.

volge sieges --- i use my nasty ar, and my even nastier unicorn vot blaster with the insane mag rolls that give me 92 shots in the clip at 423 dps ( shreds a viscera like better when using overcharge )

anything with bugs or afflicted --- an ar or smg, and a big boomer. lots of people use ground pounders, and i used to, but i like the big boomer better.

shields --- on everything besides volge sieges i use a regen shield. on volge sieges i use a bullseye, which gives 5% extra crit when your shields are down.

but -- again, it is all up to your personal preference and play style.