PDA

View Full Version : DLC 4 Gunslinger -- A Solo Player’s Observations of New Scoring System

Overtkill21
03-13-2014, 06:40 AM
So a few things before we get right into it:

I am a Day 1 Player and though I was an especially social player for about 8 months – I am now almost entirely a Solo Player.

The new scoring mechanic grants 1 Key for every 5000 points you earn.

These observations are from a SOLO PLAYER point of view. If you wish to know about scoring with tons of folks BMG-ing and Volging around you then this thread is not for you.

If you wish to know how this new Scoring Mechanic affects a Top Tier Solo Player then please read on.

Conflict Sites: Very possible to Solo Conflict sites and gain great rewards. However, the problem becomes that not all Conflict sites are created equal – some Conflict sites will NEVER grant a single key to a group or solo player because there just isn’t enough score to go around.

All Conflict sites suffer from the fact that multiple players being present reduces the potential rewards significantly.
(Example – if I solo a Conflict site and get 19K – I am rewarded with 3 keys, if I do the same Conflict site with two players we each get around 9K and only 1 key each.)

Major Arkbreaks - Warmaster: This seems to be a very positive change for the Warmaster. It seems, from my limited runs of him, that this Scoring System is rewarding correct strategy. I was using my normal loadout for a Warmaster – high damage weapon followed up with high crit Pistol and my score was near the top of the board consistently. The amount of keys rewarded was also more than enough to offset the fact that oranges drop so rarely from him now.

Volge Sieges: Well, this was a HUGE question for me, and it seems that hitting the Top Tier for rewards at Volge Sieges has been reduced to 20,000 points, once again. This is definitely welcome because as a solo player it is VERY difficult to score 40K now. However, it is not exactly easy to reach the 20K playing solo either.

Personally I like this new challenge but this could be seen as a minus to some players. I have played 4 Volge Sieges entirely Solo (one other player once) since the new scoring mechanics went live and I have never failed to reach 20K, though twice I only reached 24K – for comparison I used to, on average, score 85-90K on a Volge Siege. (Pro-Tip: Solo killing Viscera/Elite Viscera is a complete and utter waste of time – avoid the buggers until you need to waste them to progress the stage and then drop a Damage Spike hit your Overcharge and bury them like the worms they are.)

Afflicted Sieges: These are 100% superior to solo Volge Sieges now; if score (and thusly keys) is your thing. I have been scoring at or above my old level of score on all Afflicted Sieges and have been properly rewarded for my efforts. 50-60K = 10-12 Keys each Siege. Solo Afflicted are just kind of fun too.

Dark Matter Arkfalls: WOW! I received 23 Keys at a Dark Matter Arkfall and an Orange Quartermaster Syphon VOT Disruptor. There were only 5 players at the Arkfall and we did this mostly together. One note – the Monitor only gives points when his Tachmag Drive is exposed – the armor points and the crit spots on the legs DO NOT grant points – this should be fixed ASAP otherwise we’re going to see people ignoring these critical parts.

Other Major Arkfalls: Very worthwhile for keys alone. Scoring in the 100’s of thousands is still entirely possible – though I have yet to see millions put up. The reward:time ratio is very, very good for a Solo player – keys galore!

So I will update this as I see new things and score more points and kills. I will say two things:

I like this new Scoring System for everything except Solo Volge Sieges. :( But they are still worth doing.

I love the fact that they did not nerf the orange drop rate at Sieges and Incursions for the sake of the new scoring system.

And one last thing I wanted to add – on the topic of Outrageous Salvage Costs to open Mod Slots and Keys costing Scrip and Salvage again – this is not as big a minus as one might think.

With the RIDICULOUS amount of keys granted by playing the game under this new Scoring System I am hardly noticing the need to ever purchase an extra key here and there. These changes were made, in my opinion, to help offset the new scoring system’s propensity to grant many more keys – and it appears to be working for this Solo Player.

Solo On ArkHunter!

drackiller
03-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Yup i agree with almost, if not every thing you say. I also have been gaining afair amount of keys playing solo.

Etaew
03-13-2014, 07:13 AM
All Conflict sites suffer from the fact that multiple players being present reduces the potential rewards significantly.

This goes against Tricks design philosophy that any additional player has a positive contribution to an encounter :(.

dramaQkarri
03-13-2014, 07:25 AM
I will agree, I don't hate the new scoring system as much as I thought.

However, the death penalty of 1,000 points lost is a bit much. It may be intended as a "reward" to long time/better players/good shield owners or something BUT...

I've been in the game since day 1 as well so tho I lack some skill, I am a long time player. This death penalty serves to widen the gap between high-level players and the rest of us. It's only a matter of time until new players get mad. I'm just not that good at this game and last night I participated from start to finish in a major dark matter and got only 4 keys. I also did co-op Motherlode, and was kicked offline in the middle. I got back in, but my previous work didn't matter. I got about 4200 points and NO keys. It did not make me happy. Of course, that was due to the DC. Not sure how I would have been rewarded if that didn't happen.

I also did a few other co-ops and got 3-4 keys. My clan is level 3 so that means if you're not getting the bonus clan keys, it would be only 2-3 keys. For the time invested that's not very worth it, IMHO.

crasher
03-13-2014, 07:32 AM
This goes against Tricks design philosophy that any additional player has a positive contribution to an encounter :(.
Really?

I'm not the one who designed an afflicted siege that lets me solo for between 60K and 100K, (I haven't seen a Bolinas on my server in several days now, so I can't say about solo'g since) but when the guys with the boomers show up it's not uncommon for me to do down in the mid 'teens.

I went into a few minor breaks with some ppl.
Get stuck in a few barrages from drones and bombers and come out with a score of less than a thousand.
There really isn't a strategy one can use to NOT be swarmed by drones and bombers in a minor break short of just staying away.

I've been at the top of the leaderboard of ppl doing a progen more than once, and walked out with low 20 thousand in score.
Another arkevent I'm not going to waste time on anymore.

In fact, dying a few times while stopping to help another player and having them self rez while you're in the final stage or having them give up and respawn near the end and dying?
nupe.
I done my time and paid my points trying.
You're gonna die alone, and I don't feel bad about watching you die, because I can't and won't take that chance anymore.

In the name of 'cooperation', The Trickster taught me not to bother with downed players.
I'm not losing 3 thousand points several times in an event again for much of anyone.
Why should I come out of an event with empty pockets anymore?

Either you're gonna die, or I'm just not bothering to go anymore.

And I'm caring which one it is less often all the time.

I have a lot of lower level (E-2Ks ) 'toons that aren't going anymore because leveling at an event or getting rewards from a matron who glitches and wont pay off at all in the end is just not working for me.

Fuzzle
03-13-2014, 07:47 AM

"One of the core philosophies that I have going forward and was supposed to be present in the game and that contribution system doesn't stick with is that any arrival of any player should be a positive experience - for everybody. So rewards should only get better or stay the same if somebody else shows up."

http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/457360595
2:01:30-ish

Whoops! :p

Regarding OP, mostly follows what my observations have been too, so nice writeup.

Kibblehouse
03-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Personally, not a LEET solo player like the OP, but I do like to be able to solo when the opportunity comes up.
And like the OP, It's not as bad as I had feared.

Sounds like Conflict sites need tweaking, maybe somewhow balanceing them so they have a simmilar pool of possible points.

For the death peanalty, had a thought I've been chewing on since yesterday. What about putting in a mechanic that would allow for 1 free death? Something with a long timer, maybe only 1 per 24 or 12 hrs. It would give the player one death without penalty, no minus to score. IMHO it would work best if the player got to decide when to use this. Would be nice to save it for something like a WM battle instead of wasteing it because you died crashing into that invisible volge emergency on the road.

Stefanwulfe
03-13-2014, 08:13 AM
...and minor arkfalls are a complete waste of time whether alone or in a group. I will never do one again!

Kibblehouse
03-13-2014, 08:17 AM
So whats the issue with minors? Is it the point pool? I'm thinking some will be better/worse than others. May have to try a few tonight.

rebtattoo
03-13-2014, 08:32 AM
We did the liberate the lost on tuesday night, recieved no keys, though our scores indicated we should.

crasher
03-13-2014, 09:10 AM
So whats the issue with minors? Is it the point pool? I'm thinking some will be better/worse than others. May have to try a few tonight.

Read post #5, for starts.

Kibblehouse
03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear, the post I was responding to was about Minor Arcfalls. #5 is about Arcbreaks, and yeah I am not going inside one of those without at least 4 other hitters.

But I'd still like to hear more about the issues with Minor Arkfalls. I did a Bug Minor the first night of DCL4 and in hindsight I think the point pool might have been a little small. Like to hear if this is the same for all of them.

crasher
03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear, the post I was responding to was about Minor Arcfalls. #5 is about Arcbreaks, and yeah I am not going inside one of those without at least 4 other hitters.

But I'd still like to hear more about the issues with Minor Arkfalls. I did a Bug Minor the first night of DCL4 and in hindsight I think the point pool might have been a little small. Like to hear if this is the same for all of them.

Note:
You mentioned "I am not going inside one of those without at least 4 other hitters."
Please note that I've gone into more than my share of MinorBreaks with a few other people and ended up inside one alone anyway.
One difference is that you can scope out an ArkFall and see who is there before you join.
Once you hit that 'enter the ArkBreak' sequence, you lost control while the server spins up an instance, and you have to get inside before you can do anything.
And it's a PITA (because we're tuff guys, and who wants to admit defeat?) to give up and opt out of a Break once inside just because you're alone, so you tough it out.

No prob on my end regarding clarity issue over the Fall/Break distinction.
Agree, they're not equally interchangeable, but they are equivalent in affect/effect/intent/outcome.

The point is that you get stuck in a barrage of drones, or you get stuck in a barrage of blastpods, and then a barrage of archers, you still end up dead if unlucky, and it has less to do with skill other than having the experience to know not to stop moving.
Which aint exactly a 'strategy'. :)
Breaks do not always get out of hand, but sometimes they do, and some times the minor Falls, do, too.

My point was that you can be right up there on top of the leaderboard for max rewards, and in an virtual instant reduced by 3K points.
And it can happen several times in rapid succession.

In an Arkfall, you usually rez at some point away from the action, in a break it's not uncommon to rez with the badguys camped on top of the rez point.

In a minor arkfall, the action is generally more intense than an individual arkfall stage in a major series, and we've all seen them get seriously out of hand. I mostly focused on a minor break in my post because I got bored with endless arkfalls from doing them since April and MinorBreaks are just newer.

Feel free to disregard everything I posted, I promise I wont be annoyed over anything other than the fact I might have wasted your time.

Good hunting.

maverick07
03-13-2014, 11:08 AM
We did the liberate the lost on tuesday night, recieved no keys, though our scores indicated we should.

You should have got them they just aren't showing up in the reward screen. I ran the other 3 I needed for 7th Legion Weekly last night and this is what I noticed.

You can get more points with other people around but it requires some teamwork and maybe some luck. When I did Bernal Tower solo I wasn't able to get a key. But when I ran it with a friend we each got one key. It is difficult though because most stuff dies before you can get any teamwork points off of it but on higher HP enemies it is possible.

rebtattoo
03-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Thanks Mav. Will keep an eye on that.

Did notice at a raider minor "arkfall" last night with 2 other ppl. Had 2 bonus waves and still only awarded 1 key. Fell once an self-revived. Died and asked clan mate to port to me to rez me as the pugs weren't having any part of it. Don't blame them.

Think I'll stay away from the minors. Not worth the effort.

drackiller
03-13-2014, 11:31 AM
I did a minor Arkbreak yesterday, just me and another player inside all the way and we get nothing except for the reward stashs.
Didn`t die any time during the all encounter.
O rewards.

Bonehead
03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
hanks Mav. Will keep an eye on that.

Did notice at a raider minor "arkfall" last night with 2 other ppl. Had 2 bonus waves and still only awarded 1 key. Fell once an self-revived. Died and asked clan mate to port to me to rez me as the pugs ween't having any part of it. Don't blame them.

Think I'll stay away from the minors. Not worth the effort.

^^^this^^^

Overtkill21
03-13-2014, 01:29 PM
I plan to test Minor Arkfalls and Co-Op maps tonight - hopefully I can solo the Minors - as I have a feeling they are going to disappoint.

I will update with my findings.

rebtattoo
03-13-2014, 01:51 PM
I plan to test Minor Arkfalls and Co-Op maps tonight - hopefully I can solo the Minors - as I have a feeling they are going to disappoint.

I will update with my findings.With the raiders AI supposedly ramped up, it's interesting. I suspect mutants got a ninja buff also. We were noticing the other night that they seemed a bit more gnarly than before the patch.

Tsort
03-13-2014, 02:02 PM
SUGGESTION : Maybe what they should do is have something like 5000 bonus points that are shared by everybody once an event is finished. Thus solo players would get the whole bunch of points, a nice reward for managing to solo, and a guaranteed bonus key. Little team would compensate for points lost due to sharing kills. And for big teams it would not make a big difference, 25 people is just 200* bonus points each. (*typo edit)

Overtkill21
03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
SUGGESTION : Maybe what they should do is have something like 5000 bonus points that are shared by everybody once an event is finished. Thus solo players would get the whole bunch of points, a nice reward for managing to solo, and a guaranteed bonus key. Little team would compensate for points lost due to sharing kills. And for big teams it would not make a big difference, 25 people is just 20 bonus points each.

I think this would be a good implementation. I believe there may already be a 1000 point "bonus" awarded.

rebtattoo
03-13-2014, 02:09 PM
I think this would be a good implementation. I believe there may already be a 1000 point "bonus" awarded.I believe you're right.