PDA

View Full Version : Volge at E-Rep Incursion: the logic of helping them?

Amun Ra
03-13-2014, 09:54 AM
So, there is this incursion.
There are Volge swarming an E-Rep zone.

Why on Earth would we go help the E-Rep.
For those that followed the series: both are equally bad.
Incorrect: the E-Rep are worse, the Volge are straight-forward enemies, the E-Rep are simply backstabbing (fill in at your own feeling).

So, what exactly is the logic in this incursion, if I may inquire.

For me personally... I'd go help the Volge, really.
But that's me.

squidgod2000
03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Loot and XP?

Vonna
03-13-2014, 10:04 AM
I'd stay back, wait until it ends, then polish off the last few survivors and loot the corpses.

Amun Ra
03-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Well yes, I do these too.
But what is the logic behind helping either enemy?
Nowhere in the series this has been displayed, and it is about the series, correct?
So there, my question... :)

Festival
03-13-2014, 10:10 AM
I'd stay back, wait until it ends, then polish off the last few survivors and loot the corpses.

Precisely! I'd kick back with a pair of binoculars and a beer, watch the fun...then snipe the survivors (after silently thanking them for making my job easier). "Today was a good day..."

Etaew
03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
For the most part, apart from the rebel E-Rep the Earth Republic troops in the Bay Area are good guys. They helped us in the main campaign. It is in stark contrast to how they are portrayed in the TV show where everything E-Rep is badad.

crasher
03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Loot and XP?

Pretty much it, but considering 2 important points:

1.) The E-Rep are not (except in 1 episodic mission series) 'shootable'.

b.) Being an Arkhunter, and by definition an independent contractor/mercenary, I'm opposed to shooting anyone I'm not getting paid to shoot, or who isn't actively or potentially trying to kill me.

Jayne Cobb: "Ain't logical. ..................... - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. ........................."

Amun Ra
03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Well, I am more of a maniac.
What is in the way, I will shove it out of the way.... XD

Etaew
03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
1.) The E-Rep are not (except in 1 episodic mission series) 'shootable'.And an Arena in Gunslinger.

crasher
03-13-2014, 10:23 AM
And an Arena in Gunslinger.

Fair enough.
I only have DLC-2.

Ashlocke
03-13-2014, 10:29 AM
The Volge seem more like a force of nature than something you can talk to or reason with. As for the E-Rep, at least you can have some that owe you a favor in the future for pulling their fat out of the fire.

Amun Ra
03-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Heh, not so.
If you check the series, they owe no one, ever.
Save for a sword in the back.

crasher
03-13-2014, 10:43 AM
The Volge seem more like a force of nature than something you can talk to or reason with. As for the E-Rep, at least you can have some that owe you a favor in the future for pulling their fat out of the fire.

I stopped to help a police officer put chains on his tires in a blizzard at 2 AM, once.
He had no clue what to do, so I was happy to help.

He gave me his card with a note on the back that said if he could ever help me in any way that was legal to do, give him a call.

I await such a chit from E-Rep being possible.

Ashlocke
03-13-2014, 10:44 AM
They are people, so while as a whole the faction might be considered poopy heads, the individuals in it can't all be painted with such a broad brush. Remember the roadblock with that military dude that at first was preventing Nolan from delivering the cure, he eventually saw just how much of a ninny he was being and let them deliver it.

Kibblehouse
03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Ashlocke is about to get a forum infraction for bad language!

Ashlocke
03-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Ashlocke is about to get a forum infraction for bad language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBIAIH9x_Q

crasher
03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
They are people, so while as a whole the faction might be considered poopy heads, the individuals in it can't all be painted with such a broad brush. Remember the roadblock with that military dude that at first was preventing Nolan from delivering the cure, he eventually saw just how much of a ninny he was being and let them deliver it.

Don't watch the show since the episode where they went into the mine to stop the clown from blowing up the nuke power plant.

Too much of a snoozefest for me to take.

I did like the first 17 minutes of the pilot, tho.

My whole take on the DEFI franchise since is entirely game based, and I wouldn't mind being able to shoot the NPCs that I supposedly rescue at the roadside emergencies when I've untied/rescued the first one and he stands there expecting me to untie the other three?

Nupe, those incompetents deserve my contempt at that point, and If I could shoot them after getting my 'points' (I notice emergencies aren't paying XP anymore or not at the rate they did, and they're quickly becoming one more issue that is convincing me that the game is rewarding me less and less often and it wont be long before it hits that tipping point of not being worth the electrons to log in) I would shoot them out of hand for free.

Ashlocke
03-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Let's not forget Grant, while at first he may not be a fan of Ark Hunters, by the time you get to overpass he seems to truly respect you. Plus overall he never comes off as a poopy head.

Tsort
03-14-2014, 09:21 AM
It's all about arkhunting. You do what you have to do.

Helping out the E-Rep doesn't bother me much. Even Cass does it, doesn't she?

Now working for Von Bach or Varus, that makes me a little more trigger-itchy.

UVKnight
03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
I have only seen a couple of TV episodes, so I am looking at things mostly through the information in the game, and from what I have seen, they don't seem like bad people. In my real-life experiences, governments are evil, but most of the soldiers are good people, even if they are a bit daft for following the orders of bad people.