PDA

View Full Version : What gender do you play the game as?

Chocolatelover67
03-14-2014, 03:21 AM
Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but what gender do you play as in Defiance?

I got over 100 hours out of Mass Effect 3. Not so many in multiplayer but I played as Femshep there mainly for the fact I had been given the choice, and that it was something different to do. The other reason that I didn't want to sit there watching some dude when I can have a frelling choice..... So why not?

In Defiance I did the same thing.

duction
03-14-2014, 03:29 AM
Yup I'm male but play a female char in game.

Atticus Batman
03-14-2014, 03:31 AM
I am a guy and Roleplay as a guy, so my character is a guy. He is a tough as nails A-hole, who tends to do the right thing more often than he'd admit. Even Aholes can be heroes, even if they don't want to. Just watch the movie Hancock to know that. lol

Edit: I also have 2 songs for myself. Lol

My theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncrhSikSFLU

My song to live by (motto):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbmsCbrVu98

My second character is also male, though I never play him and have not of any story or song for him.

Midori Oku
03-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Obviously female. The name Midori does not fit with a male character!

drackiller
03-14-2014, 03:38 AM
Nothing againt it but i only play female character if it`s a requirement of the game to achieve something or if the story is played by a female persona.

But nothing against people who likes to play with the other sex...hmmm, that sounds bad :)

Atticus Batman
03-14-2014, 03:39 AM
Edited my above post. :P

Tsort
03-14-2014, 04:11 AM
So... I'm a guy currently playing a female character, because :

> I wanted to go for an Irathient roamer with a bushy beard a la Sykar but the poor facial hair choices were disappointing
> a random female outlaw looked really good with her tats, I picked her
> and mainly because I had almost always played a male character up to that point to avoid gender confusion with other players, but just before creating "Miss Cobra" I'd heard a guy arguing "if I'm gonna look at the back of a character for hours on end in a third person view, might as well include a good-looking chick's booty there". The argument won me over!

spweasel
03-14-2014, 04:21 AM
Female.

1) Video game heroes are overwhelmingly male, so I figure a little gender equality when given the choice can't be a bad thing.

2) Most games with cash shops invariably end up devolving into dressup simulators, so I might as well go with a character that looks better in a skirt.

3) If I'm going to be staring at a butt for countless hours...

otonagamer
03-14-2014, 04:50 AM
Female outfits look much much better then male counterparts.

N3gativeCr33p
03-14-2014, 05:51 AM
Since I'm a male IRL, I play a male character in-game. False advertising pretty much goes against everything I stand for.

Oh yeah... and character is an Irathient. Seemed like an interesting race to be after I watched the TV show's pilot.

kringled
03-14-2014, 07:42 AM
As a rule across games, if different gender characters have different powers/play style (ala Borderlands 1/2), then I make my choices based on how I want to play. If (as in defiance) the differences are mostly cosmetic, then I will usually pick male. (male IRL).
However, my defiance character is a female irathient, because of the appearance choices with that first character roll, for some reason I have a harder time identifying with a big burly male than a trimmer female character.

Bonehead
03-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I play both because I like to.
Back in the olden days when I was on the labor relations board as an employee rep I was told by some that I had "the soul of a black radical feminist lesbian". When the guys would complain about the first women coming into the job saying "they just can't do it man", I said "If they can't do it, we're doing it wrong". For the record, they could do it just fine.

Milk toast white older guy IRL.

Ngamok
03-14-2014, 01:24 PM
I am a male and play as a male. I also rolled for fun a female who just sits at 50 EGO in case I wanted to start over fresh.

Bentu
03-14-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm saying zilch.

Zugo
03-14-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm saying zilch.

Lol, really? I opened this thread just to see what you'd post.

Bentu
03-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Lol, really? I opened this thread just to see what you'd post.

Sorry to disappoint you :)

Deunan
03-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Lol, really? I opened this thread just to see what you'd post.That was mean. :p

Bentu
03-14-2014, 02:24 PM
That was mean. :p

Not really, what was mean was the stance taken on my thread by people who just wanted to attack instead of discuss. As is the norm on here. I then take a back seat so as not to inflame it any further and get an infraction for trolling/baiting.

JEMINAI
03-14-2014, 02:35 PM
sasha asked me this question not long ago, i think its habit because most games portray males with necks thicker than their legs and that doesn't denote awesome ninja warrior from hell to me at all with bulging muscles that prevent a human being from being able to scratch their own nape! even if i make a tank it would be the skinniest female :P
i use the same names in all games. be them male or female. its just i havnt found any need to make more toons with defiance. (other than storage) but i guess order of pref. Jeminai, haXaN, LoPan.

Xaat Xuun
03-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Male Part American Indian, playing as a white guy, who thinks he's a white guy, playing a Irathient Male & Human Male

I'll eventually create a female . . at least one, no rush here tho, I always create at least one female when I can have more then one character created

JEMINAI
03-14-2014, 02:39 PM
/Repeats: "i am a strong CONFIDENT woman"

drackiller
Not really, what was mean was the stance taken on my thread by people who just wanted to attack instead of discuss. As is the norm on here. I then take a back seat so as not to inflame it any further and get an infraction for trolling/baiting.

I undestood what you where trying to do in that thread of yours, i prefered not to comment cause i know that kind of topics tend to go really bad.

Atticus Batman

Yes poor Bentu was hammered extremely hard last time he took a stance on this topic. Yet others insult Trion, the whole world and the dead and nobody says a thing.

Nefarious
What gender do you play the game as?

These threads...
http://i.imgur.com/9cfGpOd.gif

Vonna
03-14-2014, 02:41 PM
I play a female. Am I a female? Well, as the shirt says, "trust me, I'm a girl!"

Wildthrust
03-14-2014, 02:56 PM
I play female because while male humans look ok, females look better. And since 90% of the time all anyone sees is the default male character I see it more as what I like then others. I never say I am female though, and try to include the fact with any descriptions people see. I typicly use The Nightshade which I have been using for decades, and Wildthrust which was the name I came up with for a female night elf in WOW.

Bentu
03-14-2014, 02:58 PM
I undestood what you where trying to do in that thread of yours, i prefered not to comment cause i know that kind of topics tend to go really bad.

Yes it could of gone better but best to forget it now.

Dandrielas
03-14-2014, 02:59 PM
When given a choice, I always go with the male character model since I am a guy in real life. It makes things easier to relate too that way. When not given choice, I don't mind playing a female character like some of the characters from Mass Effect 3 multi-player.

Tsort
03-14-2014, 02:59 PM
I thought General Steve was no more? What's up with all the people mentioning him?

Deunan
03-14-2014, 03:03 PM
I thought General Steve was no more? What's up with all the people mentioning him?General Steve remains on the PS3 and Xbox platforms. They don't have the proxy memory slider function because they don't have enough RAM to make use of it. On the PC, if an event is really really crowded I still see General Steve show up in place of some player characters.

StanleyPain
03-14-2014, 03:35 PM
I play as female because I think their models and outfits look better. (plus if I'm going to be staring at the back of an avatar for countless hours as I play, I'd rather look at a girl, heh) While some of the outfits are obviously dumb (OH DEAR, MY SHIRT AND PANTS ARE GONE WHATEVER WILL I DO! TEE HEE), a lot of them fit better on the female models, I find. The sizing on the outfits seems inflated or something on the male models (not all outfits, but many). I really dig the variations they get too...I think the customizations in this game kinda blow, all be told. (not that that is some kind of mindblowing revelation to anyone who has played the game)

N3gativeCr33p
03-14-2014, 03:40 PM
I play a female. Am I a female? Well, as the shirt says, "trust me, I'm a girl!"

Yeah, because everything that people say on the internet is 100% truth.

Like this French male model, for instance... "Uhhhh, bonjour?"

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/att-hands.png

Dandrielas
03-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Yeah, because everything that people say on the internet is 100% truth.

Like this French male model, for instance... "Uhhhh, bonjour?"

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/att-hands.png

Lolz. That's a good one.

Chocolatelover67
03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
These threads...
http://i.imgur.com/9cfGpOd.gif

I apologise for this thread if it did upset some. I am new here and didn't realise this is one of the topics that gets done to death.

Dandrielas
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I apologise for this thread if it did upset some. I am new here and didn't realise this is one of the topics that gets done to death.

It gets done to death on any MMO forum.

Chocolatelover67
03-14-2014, 05:20 PM
It gets done to death on any MMO forum.

Ah...... I see.

btw the avatar pic is me

Bonehead
03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Hello me..

JediArkHunter
03-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Always play as a male in every game where that is an option. It's a "Live through vicariously..." thing. That's not to say I don't enjoy games that only have female leads. Tomb Raider is the most recent exceptional example I can give. While I'm waiting to begin my sojourn into Defiance, I know I will roll a Human male. So vanilla, I know. Still, it's just where I feel comfortable.

Goth Angel
03-14-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm a girl and my character is female Castithan. In Mass Effect my character is male tho.

Olaf
03-14-2014, 05:39 PM
I play as a female so I can float up ladders quickly.

Chocolatelover67
03-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Always play as a male in every game where that is an option. It's a "Live through vicariously..." thing. That's not to say I don't enjoy games that only have female leads. Tomb Raider is the most recent exceptional example I can give. While I'm waiting to begin my sojourn into Defiance, I know I will roll a Human male. So vanilla, I know. Still, it's just where I feel comfortable.

What was so great about last year's Tomb Raider?

I mean it's good and all but people rave about it, given the choice I'd rather play Mass Effect 3 again. I played it twice and on the 2nd run got bored very fast. The multiplayer stuff is fun but that too was fun the first time around.

Battle5Star
03-15-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm a girl and Roleplay as a girl. :)
I have never played any games with male characters, always try to create the same char: human female, blonde hair, green eyes like in real life. :rolleyes:

Chocolatelover67
03-15-2014, 01:08 AM
Hellbugs are cool

Goth Angel
03-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Hellbugs are cool

Do they have a gender? :eek: lol jk :cool:

Smitch
03-15-2014, 01:59 AM
My main is male. My alt (who I use to record the story line cut scenes and has got secondary missions littered all over the map) is female.

Chocolatelover67
03-15-2014, 04:57 AM
My main is male. My alt (who I use to record the story line cut scenes and has got secondary missions littered all over the map) is female.

Haha stupid me I only just found that arrow for adding more characters..... How derpy derp am I?

I like the links in your sig. What about learning Castithan?

RAGEFIGHTER
03-15-2014, 05:03 AM
i play as male the way i am in real life playing female seems kinda *****... shtako why to pretend being ***** :)

Manstan
03-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Shall I wade in and point out some lacking areas in some peoples character?

I am quite secure in my masculinity, and have no question about my orientation, so I have no insecurities in playing a female character in a game. I don't role play at all, I am me, period. I just like the personal ego boost of being able to tell a woman what to do, and actually have them do it. :D

If you think there is more to it then that,
1: You are over thinking it.
2: It's my opinion you have some issues to work out.

Tsort
03-16-2014, 04:07 AM
General Steve remains on the PS3 and Xbox platforms. They don't have the proxy memory slider function because they don't have enough RAM to make use of it. On the PC, if an event is really really crowded I still see General Steve show up in place of some player characters.
Ok. When it's really crowded on PC, everybody turn into Invisible Steve on my screen. :)

Chocolatelover67
03-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Pity there's no good outfits for my character...... Or that they all cost real money

Atticus Batman
03-28-2014, 01:05 AM
Pity there's no good outfits for my character...... Or that they all cost real money

Look through the pursuits, some have outfits as a reward and might be decent (don't pay attention to the PvP pursuits, those outfits can only be used in PvP). You also unlock some outfit just from completing the storyline.

CB2001
03-28-2014, 02:12 AM
I play only one character, and he's is male just like me.

Rokea
03-28-2014, 06:41 AM
I was going to say depending on the situation everybody plays a male when I log in, General Steve lol

Festival
03-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Since I'm a male IRL, I play a male character in-game. False advertising pretty much goes against everything I stand for.

Oh yeah... and character is an Irathient. Seemed like an interesting race to be after I watched the TV show's pilot.

So you're an Irathient in real life? Whoa! :p

For my part, I'm a guy and an altoholic. The latter means I tend to have characters of either gender, but I gravitate towards females. Like others have mentioned, it's a question of what sort of backside I want to stare at for hours (in third-person games, obviously). My first MMO, after playing mostly FPS games, where the question didn't come up, was City of Heroes...so those booties were often spandex-clad, too. That made it a no-brainer...or maybe that should be other-brainer!

That said, I'm a roleplayer in games which encourage that activity (Defiance still doesn't really qualify, as the ability to easily communicate with each other remains minimal). That took some getting used to at first, but it sure improved my acting chops! It's also made for some "interesting" conversations when someone assumes I'm female then tries to get all sexy in private chat. "Um...I'm not remotely into that whole 'cyber' thing...and besides, you should know I'm actually a big, straight, and rather ugly guy..."

Rokea
03-28-2014, 07:26 AM
I too play a male Irathient, I liked them in the show however the main reason I picked them was because in cut scenes they look to have less of Derp face than the other two races.

Tekrunner
03-28-2014, 07:56 AM
I play as a female so I can float up ladders quickly.

Also so that I can unload my wolfhound into the Warmaster without getting staggered every 10 seconds.