PDA

View Full Version : Why do customers who buy DLC have to go through this lockbox nonsense every time?

Albion
03-19-2014, 08:59 AM
It started with the 7th Legion. In order to get access to any of the guns, shields, or outfits from this DLC, you were forced to grind faction rep in order to get a lottery ticket chance at a lockbox which more often than not does not give you anything of quality. It took me weeks and weeks, and at least 10 crates, to get just one lousy orange shield from this content, and of course we know that those shields haven't been calculating the right capacity since they were introduced. The answer to this was to offer a couple of the outfits in the bit store for more money, $20.00 each! Seriously, who comes up with this stuff? But if you want any of the 7th Legion guns in orange (heck, even purple) then you must continue to mindlessly grind faction rep for more lottery tickets.

Well, its even worse with the Gunslinger content. I got through the 9 arenas, and was then entitled to finally buy a "gunslinger cache' from the VBI vendor. The catch here, is you have to have 100 VBI rep to even try one of these, and that means only one lottery chance per week to get any of the content, again, that we paid for. I used all the rep I had, and got three of the exact same shotgun (the XB600 something-or-other), 2 blues and 1 really bad purple. That's it. Now, I can't even get another one until next week, and the prospect of getting a decent item is slim to none.

How is any of this good game design? You want people to support the game, so a lot of us did by buying the DLC. After 7th Legion, I was hesitant to buy Gunslinger, but I do want to support the game in some way...so I did. But once again, I feel like the money was wasted. This content should be more easily available to people who bought this DLC. At this rate, I can already tell more of the same is coming with DLC 5, and there is no way I'm buying that unless this system changes. Please do something about this.

drackiller
03-19-2014, 09:07 AM
I`m stuck with a season pass. Pretty sure it was the first and the last for this game.

Iceberg
03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Something about a "long fulfilling chase" and because defiance.

N3gativeCr33p
03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
I`m stuck with a season pass.

I know the feeling.

But hey... at least I have that "Gunslinger" title going for my Irath! Sigh...

Quebra Regra
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM
because grenades?

You mean you don't feel a greater sense of fulfillment after the longer chase?

Sometimes I wonder if a punch in the nose would help to wake up some on the development team? Is there no manager there with any decent pugilism skills?

Not perfect, but the quick fix would be to dramatically raise the chance of getting outfits from these lockboxes, and reduce their cost in terms of rep (50 maybe?). I can't see them becoming an OJ vending machine tho. Sorry.

bigguy
03-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Isnt it wonderful , the new concept of a longer more satisfying chase of legendary weapons. Personally it makes me sick but they dont seam to care how we feel. Plenty of people expressed thier feelings on having to grind for the chance to get gear and outfits that they PAID FOR. I think its funny that TRION believes if we are able to open alot of boxes we will be swimming in ojs , i have opened 20 7th legion boxes and have 1 oj shield at that rate for gunslinger it could take six months to get 1 oj THATS RIDICULOUS.

NeuroticHitman
03-19-2014, 09:19 AM
I`m stuck with a season pass. Pretty sure it was the first and the last for this game.

You, me, and God knows how many others...
CAVEAT EMPTOR (let the buyer beware)
Well, I'm aware. I can tell you that once that last DLC hits I won't drop another penny into this game.

AnGeL
03-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Trion:

-Decent DLC
-Map expansion
-Motercycles

http://i.imgur.com/O1dqE3O.jpg

Extreme Rugburn
03-19-2014, 09:31 AM
I agree that outfit percentage should be increased and that the required rep should be lowered to 50 instead of 100. These two alterations would help alleviate our frustrations while still making us work for "it". Im still pissed about the 143 tier 4 boxes I bought before the DLC in which I got 14 oranges out of 572 items, thats a 2% orange drop rate which is below what the drop rate is supposed to be for tier 4 boxes.

StanleyPain
03-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the world of gaming that mobile platforms have given us where people have been stupid enough to spend hundreds of dollars a month on stuff like Candy Crush Saga and Farmville. Now everyone thinks that paywalls are the answer to everything and then are mystified why the triple-A video game bubble is on the verge of popping.

Critical Errors
03-19-2014, 09:53 AM
The Dev team needs to forget about this lottery system entirely for outfits! They want us to grind away at the same re-used content every day for weeks on end, and it's just a laughable concept. Make the Outfits available based on Status. Reliable through Trusted status unlocks different Outfits.

As for the rep points gained, that too is laughable. It takes a week of playing to earn enough rep to unlock a single box. One Box! And it's a Tier 3. I have to wait a week to pull one box, and it's for blue gear??? Either the Rarity needs boosted, or the Rep points need boosted. This is especially true for the VBI/Gunslinger vendor!

Ironhide
03-19-2014, 10:02 AM
The Dev team needs to forget about this lottery system entirely for outfits! They want us to grind away at the same re-used content every day for weeks on end, and it's just a laughable concept. Make the Outfits available based on Status. Reliable through Trusted status unlocks different Outfits.

As for the rep points gained, that too is laughable. It takes a week of playing to earn enough rep to unlock a single box. One Box! And it's a Tier 3. I have to wait a week to pull one box, and it's for blue gear??? Either the Rarity needs boosted, or the Rep points need boosted. This is especially true for the VBI/Gunslinger vendor!

In DCUO the latest tier of equipment is a satifying chase, I can get 43 marks of Reality a day, the most expensive piece is a weapon that costs 70 marks of Reality, thats 2 days of grinding. And I can choose what I want too. I can't stand Defiance now a whole week to get one box...no thanks, if I could pull two a week, every 2.5 days, then that might be better. But seriously Defiance isn't about a ****ing grind. Thats what I loved about it, no grinding. After playing DCUO and being a Legendary player for over 3 years it was nice to have this game to come on, leasurly fart about,and not worry about a grind. Now that you have to grind for this crap rng chance, well lets just say....BOR-RING!

Rokea
03-19-2014, 10:07 AM
I've been pissed since the casti dlc when the season pass holders still had to (in game) purchase a damned charge blade (not that they are all that great)

Tekrunner
03-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Isnt it wonderful , the new concept of a longer more satisfying chase of legendary weapons. Personally it makes me sick but they dont seam to care how we feel. Plenty of people expressed thier feelings on having to grind for the chance to get gear and outfits that they PAID FOR. I think its funny that TRION believes if we are able to open alot of boxes we will be swimming in ojs , i have opened 20 7th legion boxes and have 1 oj shield at that rate for gunslinger it could take six months to get 1 oj THATS RIDICULOUS.

Sounds to me like the problem is not that we have to do some grinding to get DLC items, but rather that the grinding takes too long and the chances of getting something worthwhile are too low. Arkbreaker didn't just give you all the oranges you wanted, you had to kill the Warmaster. But the drop rate was high...

I've been pissed since the casti dlc when the season pass holders still had to (in game) purchase a damned charge blade (not that they are all that great)

You do get a charge blade when completing the Castithan mission line.

Ironhide
03-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Sounds to me like the problem is not that we have to do some grinding to get DLC items, but rather that the grinding takes too long and the chances of getting something worthwhile are too low. Arkbreaker didn't just give you all the oranges you wanted, you had to kill the Warmaster. But the drop rate was high...

I loved the Arkbreaker dlc when it first hit. I could go in and get an orange almost every time for defeating the Warmaster. Thats what I call the best loot in the game. Now that its all greens and blues and lock popping griefers .....well 10 bucks down the damn tube. They let us have decent fun dlc for a while then Eef it up so bad that it becomes worthless. Every dlc has been that way except dlc3 and dlc4, they were worthless from the get go. So atleast Trion is learning to make dlc's suck right out of the gate.

Quebra Regra
03-19-2014, 10:20 AM

LOVE this idea for outfits!!!!!! TRION, make this happen and You'll see at least sales to me increase.

N3gativeCr33p
03-19-2014, 10:22 AM
In DCUO the latest tier of equipment is a satifying chase, I can get 43 marks of Reality a day, the most expensive piece is a weapon that costs 70 marks of Reality, thats 2 days of grinding. And I can choose what I want too. I can't stand Defiance now a whole week to get one box...no thanks, if I could pull two a week, every 2.5 days, then that might be better. But seriously Defiance isn't about a ****ing grind. Thats what I loved about it, no grinding. After playing DCUO and being a Legendary player for over 3 years it was nice to have this game to come on, leasurly fart about,and not worry about a grind. Now that you have to grind for this crap rng chance, well lets just say....BOR-RING!

As another 3+ year legendary subscriber... I couldn't have said it much better myself!

And yeah, I used to think the DCUO grind was a snoozefest... that is, until recently.

Rokea
03-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Well Shtako... one more thing I didn't get then

Nashtalia
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
"that Longer and more fullfilling chase" :cool:

Nashtalia
03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Something about a "long fulfilling chase" and because defiance.

because of....[ wait for it]........Grenades! :o

Dar Katan
03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
It started with the 7th Legion. In order to get access to any of the guns, shields, or outfits from this DLC, you were forced to grind faction rep in order to get a lottery ticket chance at a lockbox which more often than not does not give you anything of quality. It took me weeks and weeks, and at least 10 crates, to get just one lousy orange shield from this content, and of course we know that those shields haven't been calculating the right capacity since they were introduced. The answer to this was to offer a couple of the outfits in the bit store for more money, $20.00 each! Seriously, who comes up with this stuff? But if you want any of the 7th Legion guns in orange (heck, even purple) then you must continue to mindlessly grind faction rep for more lottery tickets.

Well, its even worse with the Gunslinger content. I got through the 9 arenas, and was then entitled to finally buy a "gunslinger cache' from the VBI vendor. The catch here, is you have to have 100 VBI rep to even try one of these, and that means only one lottery chance per week to get any of the content, again, that we paid for. I used all the rep I had, and got three of the exact same shotgun (the XB600 something-or-other), 2 blues and 1 really bad purple. That's it. Now, I can't even get another one until next week, and the prospect of getting a decent item is slim to none.

How is any of this good game design? You want people to support the game, so a lot of us did by buying the DLC. After 7th Legion, I was hesitant to buy Gunslinger, but I do want to support the game in some way...so I did. But once again, I feel like the money was wasted. This content should be more easily available to people who bought this DLC. At this rate, I can already tell more of the same is coming with DLC 5, and there is no way I'm buying that unless this system changes. Please do something about this.

I have no problems with this system. I'd rather work to get something then be given it simply because I can pay a mere $10. Most MMO's are this way; you buy the expansion for $50, you are not given anything, only a hope to attain greatness within the new content.

Ironhide
03-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Better have a damn Baconator at the finish line..... thats the only way they will entice me to play their snoozarific grindfest for rng crap.

Nashtalia
03-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Better have a damn Baconator at the finish line..... thats the only way they will entice me to play their snoozarific grindfest for rng crap.

what if i told you.....

that there is no end......content.....in DEFIANCE

Critical Errors
03-19-2014, 10:39 AM
I have no problems with this system. I'd rather work to get something then be given it simply because I can pay a mere $10. Most MMO's are this way; you buy the expansion for $50, you are not given anything, only a hope to attain greatness within the new content.

The biggest problem everyone has is that everything revolves around RNG. It doesn't matter how good a player you are, or how much time you invest in playing. It's all a roll of the dice. Usually a bad roll :(
For previous outfits in this game, it was something to work towards. You finish a certain pursuit, and you earn that outfit. Now there is nothing new to work towards. There is grinding simply for the sake of grinding, and then gambling away the small points earned. This doesn't translate into a "longer, more fulfilling chase", it translates into a repetitive time sink with no guarantee the effort will be rewarded.

N3gativeCr33p
03-19-2014, 10:42 AM
There is grinding simply for the sake of grinding, and then gambling away the small points earned. This doesn't translate into a "longer, more fulfilling chase", it translates into a repetitive time sink with no guarantee the effort will be rewarded.

100% agreed, yet there were people in the live stream chat last Friday telling me that I should be banned from the stream for suggesting much of what you've just mentioned.

I can't help it that I like to call it as I see it. :)

Ironhide
03-19-2014, 10:43 AM
the biggest problem everyone has is that everything revolves around rng. It doesn't matter how good a player you are, or how much time you invest in playing. It's all a roll of the dice. Usually a bad roll :(
for previous outfits in this game, it was something to work towards. You finish a certain pursuit, and you earn that outfit. Now there is nothing new to work towards. There is grinding simply for the sake of grinding, and then gambling away the small points earned. This doesn't translate into a "longer, more fulfilling chase", it translates into a repetitive time sink with no guarantee the effort will be rewarded.
Amen, Hallelujah, Preach it brother...a revival is a commin!

drackiller
03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
100% agreed, yet there were people in the live stream chat last Friday telling me that I should be banned from the stream for suggesting much of what you've just mentioned.

I can't help it that I like to call it as I see it. :)

M8, what do you expect from people that is more interested in pink outfits instead of fixing the game !?

Ps: nothing against pink outfits

crasher
03-19-2014, 10:56 AM
what if i told you.....

that there is no end......content.....in DEFIANCE

You're having fun with this, I can tell.

Dar Katan
03-19-2014, 11:35 AM
The biggest problem everyone has is that everything revolves around RNG. It doesn't matter how good a player you are, or how much time you invest in playing. It's all a roll of the dice. Usually a bad roll :(
For previous outfits in this game, it was something to work towards. You finish a certain pursuit, and you earn that outfit. Now there is nothing new to work towards. There is grinding simply for the sake of grinding, and then gambling away the small points earned. This doesn't translate into a "longer, more fulfilling chase", it translates into a repetitive time sink with no guarantee the effort will be rewarded.

I totally understand why people have complaints about vendors having RNG, because that is not normal. Usually you grind so you have a 100% chance at an item you see in the vendor.

I feel satisfied with this system. Mainly because it means I do not have to shell out more money just to get a new outfit or look. Until the last two DLC's I was rockin' the same City Tracker outfit for months because there were no other outfits available via in game rep or scrip.

Plus, the rep grinding brings me back each day so I can at the end of the week purchase a new lockbox from the rep vendors. Call me a sucker for punishment but it works for me.

Critical Errors
03-19-2014, 11:42 AM
I totally understand why people have complaints about vendors having RNG, because that is not normal. Usually you grind so you have a 100% chance at an item you see in the vendor.

I feel satisfied with this system. Mainly because it means I do not have to shell out more money just to get a new outfit or look. Until the last two DLC's I was rockin' the same City Tracker outfit for months because there were no other outfits available via in game rep or scrip.

Plus, the rep grinding brings me back each day so I can at the end of the week purchase a new lockbox from the rep vendors. Call me a sucker for punishment but it works for me.

OK, you're a sucker for punishment :p

Really though, there are lots of outfits available by doing pursuits. While you do have the chance of getting something nice for little work, it is more likely that you'll get meager rewards for a lot of work instead.

ironcladtrash
03-19-2014, 11:49 AM
What bothers me the most is that Trick seems to think the legendary weapons are all super awesome. So they are constantly tweaking things to make it harder to get. If they weren't **** every time I got one I wouldn't get so hung up on the changes they make.

Dar Katan
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
OK, you're a sucker for punishment :p

Really though, there are lots of outfits available by doing pursuits. While you do have the chance of getting something nice for little work, it is more likely that you'll get meager rewards for a lot of work instead.

I have almost all the outfits from the pursuits (minus the Gunslinger pursuit outfit). While some are good, most are ugly or silly when considering the Defiance lore.

All in all, RNG is the basis of Defiance.

Albion
03-19-2014, 07:26 PM
All in all, RNG is the basis of Defiance.

Well, it sure has become the basis of the endgame of Defiance, hasn't it?

Atticus Batman
03-19-2014, 11:27 PM

You earn a charge blade for getting silvers on all the lighthouse arenas, so you did not have to purchase a chargeblade. You chose to. Think you better actually look at your pursuits(goals). That is also how you get the castithan mask.

Rokea
03-20-2014, 07:42 AM
You earn a charge blade for getting silvers on all the lighthouse arenas, so you did not have to purchase a chargeblade. You chose to. Think you better actually look at your pursuits(goals). That is also how you get the castithan mask.

actually I haven't purchased a charge blade at all, An I'm not illiterate I know how to read the pursuits. My point was the fact that people who buy the dlc should have gotten access to the new crap without having to jump through hoops. Thanks though capt. Obvious for your snarky education on Pursuits (goals)

Critical Errors
03-20-2014, 08:22 AM
actually I haven't purchased a charge blade at all, An I'm not illiterate I know how to read the pursuits. My point was the fact that people who buy the dlc should have gotten access to the new crap without having to jump through hoops. Thanks though capt. Obvious for your snarky education on Pursuits (goals)

I would much rather have to work towards a guaranteed goal, like the legendary Charge blade at Thorn Liro, then deal with endless grinding and slot machine pulls to get my DLC. The design team is fixated on using the RNG as a deployable DLC device. That same RNG that lets you go for weeks and even months without ever pulling a Legendary. The same RNG that, when it does finally reward you with one, creates Legendary weapons with worse rolls than the Blue guns in game. I want to know my effort in-game will be rewarded, and that's simply not how the Last two DLCs were designed.

Quebra Regra
03-20-2014, 08:30 AM
I like the idea of earning outfits via pursuits, but please, no more "get 5 billion kills by throwing rocks". There's grinding, and then there's grinding (looking at you bold action!).

Atticus Batman
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM

IF it was obvious you wouldn't have made the comment about having to in-game purchase a blade. So you got the answer you deserved.

Lightningman
03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
What Trion needs to do is let us gain rep points for arenas because right now there isnt a point to replay them other then the pursuit. And also increase 7th legion rep gain from incursions so we can get what we already paid for!

Atticus Batman
03-20-2014, 04:13 PM
What Trion needs to do is let us gain rep points for arenas because right now there isnt a point to replay them other then the pursuit. And also increase 7th legion rep gain from incursions so we can get what we already paid for!

Something needs done. I post the following in another thread, but it works here too.

I still want to know why we have an oufit vendor at theE-Rep camp, when they never put new outfits in it! Atleast make it so, if you own a dlc you can see and buy that Dlc's outfit there even if it's for like 100k scrip. Atleast I'd have a reason to save my scrip up again!

BifBologna
03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
I'd like to add my voice to those that are not particularly happy with the lockbox method of obtaining DLC we paid for. Like many of the other posters in this thread, I have no objection to having to "earn" my content. I'd have no problem with having to do a mission, a contract or a pursuit to get the premium gear. I'd even go along with, as someone above suggested, having gear rewards tied to my faction rep. But, having to grind rep for an unknown in a lockbox is, actually, kind of annoying.

I think this is especially bothersome for season pass owners that are more casual players, like myself. I know I've seen posts where people talk about having opened ten or more 7th Legion lockboxes. Since the 7th Legion went live, I've managed to earn enough rep to open five. I finally got my fifth one this last Monday. Now, with Gunslinger live, I have to try and decide if I'm going to spend my limited time earning Gunslinger rep or 7th Legion, all for the possibility of never owning anything I want from either.

Atticus Batman
03-20-2014, 05:29 PM
I'd like to add my voice to those that are not particularly happy with the lockbox method of obtaining DLC we paid for. Like many of the other posters in this thread, I have no objection to having to "earn" my content. I'd have no problem with having to do a mission, a contract or a pursuit to get the premium gear. I'd even go along with, as someone above suggested, having gear rewards tied to my faction rep. But, having to grind rep for an unknown in a lockbox is, actually, kind of annoying.

I think this is especially bothersome for season pass owners that are more casual players, like myself. I know I've seen posts where people talk about having opened ten or more 7th Legion lockboxes. Since the 7th Legion went live, I've managed to earn enough rep to open five. I finally got my fifth one this last Monday. Now, with Gunslinger live, I have to try and decide if I'm going to spend my limited time earning Gunslinger rep or 7th Legion, all for the possibility of never owning anything I want from either.

There is no Gunslinger rep. Once you beat all the gunslinger missions, those gunslinger boxes are available at the Vbi vendor at Shondu's. And it costs vbi rep.

Holy Bahamut3
03-20-2014, 05:37 PM
They should have a separate lockbox in the vendor that ONLY awards the DLC outfits. That way you can choose which DLC content you want to claim. You unlock all of the outfits the lockbox dissapears or blacks out for that toon.

Atticus Batman
03-20-2014, 06:03 PM
They should have a separate lockbox in the vendor that ONLY awards the DLC outfits. That way you can choose which DLC content you want to claim. You unlock all of the outfits the lockbox dissapears or blacks out for that toon.

Sounds ok. An outfit box wch guarantees an outfit/helm with a random weapon from that Dlc sounds good. Maybe make it so once you have all the outfits, it adds a random gun from said Dlc in it's place.

Holy Bahamut3
03-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Sounds ok. An outfit box wch guarantees an outfit/helm with a random weapon from that Dlc sounds good. Maybe make it so once you have all the outfits, it adds a random gun from said Dlc in it's place.
Question is can we get this put on the list of things they will work on. Or at least get them to address it.

Albion
03-20-2014, 06:27 PM
There should be at least a few legendary weapons in those vendors that you could buy with rep, and they should be true legendaries with nice rolls. Make them 250 or even 500 rep if you have to, but at least give us a choice of not having to waste time on these truly awful lockboxes full of crap.

And while we are at it, that Gunslinger cache we got with the DLC - come on, 2 greens and 1 blue weapon? It has been like that with every DLC, but now especially since we have to play games with access to paid content, that box should have contained purple items, so at least we could say we got something for our money. Greens and blues just get crushed instantly, and those did as well.

Holy Bahamut3
03-20-2014, 06:49 PM
There should be at least a few legendary weapons in those vendors that you could buy with rep, and they should be true legendaries with nice rolls. Make them 250 or even 500 rep if you have to, but at least give us a choice of not having to waste time on these truly awful lockboxes full of crap.

And while we are at it, that Gunslinger cache we got with the DLC - come on, 2 greens and 1 blue weapon? It has been like that with every DLC, but now especially since we have to play games with access to paid content, that box should have contained purple items, so at least we could say we got something for our money. Greens and blues just get crushed instantly, and those did as well.

We've been telling them to give us a worthwhile DLC exclusive box since the first DLC. I doubt its even on their list of considerations. Heck we had to beg for the last box from gunslinger, apparently greens and blues are their idea of exclusive content.

Atticus Batman
03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
We've been telling them to give us a worthwhile DLC exclusive box since the first DLC. I doubt its even on their list of considerations. Heck we had to beg for the last box from gunslinger, apparently greens and blues are their idea of exclusive content.

Unfortunately, they do it, so we have a taste of the guns and get the urge to grind for a better one. Truthfully, I try the blue ones, and if I like them I hold onto them until luck gives me a purple version. I do not grind my arse off for them.

Ashlocke
03-20-2014, 07:30 PM
I clicked reply then my brain suddenly went blank and forgot what I was going to say. So rather than try to remember I will instead reply with:

Because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vG1Fg3260

Atticus Batman
03-20-2014, 08:56 PM
I clicked reply then my brain suddenly went blank and forgot what I was going to say. So rather than try to remember I will instead reply with:

Because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vG1Fg3260

Your nade doesn't scare me Puddin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Iu-74nRmY

Etaew
03-21-2014, 02:37 AM
I'm glad this topic keeps being brought up, as the lockbox endgame really isn't satisfying. It is also telling that Trick is a console designer and not a MMO designer. The MMO industry has pretty good standards for endgame with currency and merchants, this is what people expect and what people want.

Holy Bahamut3
03-21-2014, 04:46 AM
I think part of the problem is they still view it as their unfinished game from a development standpoint. They haven't started viewing it as a complete work and started making suggested tweaks for their customers.

B_Draco
03-21-2014, 05:09 AM
I agree that outfit percentage should be increased and that the required rep should be lowered to 50 instead of 100. These two alterations would help alleviate our frustrations while still making us work for "it". Im still pissed about the 143 tier 4 boxes I bought before the DLC in which I got 14 oranges out of 572 items, thats a 2% orange drop rate which is below what the drop rate is supposed to be for tier 4 boxes.

Feeling is mutual... I recently wasted 720,000 salvage and around 530k scrip(I dunno exact number) for tons of tier 3 and tier 2 boxes... To just get a butt load of greens and blues, and the occasional purple grenade... NOT 1 STINKING ORANGE!!!

Honestly Trion if you bought a DLC that you instead had to work your butt off for the actual content, how would you feel? Oh yeah nevermind, you said something about the pursuit to getting an OJ like this makes it all the more worth it... Instead of ninja nerfing OJ chances from 2% to 0.01%(that's how it feels at the moment), RAISE IT TO 10% FOR TIER 2, 15% FOR TIER 3, and 20% FOR TIER 4 IN THE VERY LEAST FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

Drewbud
03-21-2014, 07:01 AM
^^^ this, OMFG this!

Quebra Regra
03-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Make it so.

Quebra Regra
03-21-2014, 08:51 AM

I'd suggest TRION pursue other avenues of game related income as well such as game related merchandise. tshirts, etc. Take pre-orders to avoid over production. Win-win!

It would appear that this can NOT happen with the current direction TRION appears to be going with the game. Without any negative connotation, it would seem that with the recent bits store boxes, etc that DEFIANCE is going with a F2P model (despite the token average $10 purchase request).

Understand that to make this enterprise viable, TRION needs a strategy for monetization (right, wrong, or indifferent). I suspect that their strategy has changed from the game's launch, and that's understandable that an evolution like this would happen.

It would seem that one of the key elements for monetization is the acquisition of certain kinds of resources (legendaries, outfits, etc.). increasing the ubiquity of OJs in the game which can be obtained without a monetary expenditure (ie. guaranteed delivery) would run counter to TRION's financial goals.

All of this is supposition on my part, but it makes logical sense. My fear is that unless a good balance can be struck and maintained, free 2 play, can be come pay 2 win... A sure way to kill the game outright.

Elastik Spastik
03-21-2014, 09:12 AM
At the end of it all buying the dlc is pretty worthless when nonpayers get to do just the same almost. And I wish I didnt have a season pass. I havent touched casti arenas since it was released. And I still haven't unlocked the last 2 arenas. WM good at first but nerfed rng, people breaking locks early which means unable to defeat, I planted all 4 spikes last night yet I was placed in a instance that had 2 mins left and WM was still almost full health, I just don't bother. 7th legion hahahahahaha. Gunslinger more arenas oh wow wee more **** I hate. Also dlc 3 and 4, even though we paid we still have to work for sh itty lockboxes that take an age to grind for.

Not to mention all the changes and new and old bugs lag dc unplayability. Twice now they did boost weekend when the game was unplayable . (They knew, just didnt want us to have a whole free weekend). Basically I got fvck all for paid dlc apart from a few shtako weapons which were ultimately salvaged.

Blades, never have and never will use.

Quebra Regra
03-21-2014, 09:15 AM
I felt robbed when I found that people could get charge blades from lockboxes without DLC.

The only value I have found in the Liro arenas (since aside from the orange sword none of the other items are useful), is to use them to grind kills for goals.

Yup, DLC purchase has been undermined.

Albion
03-21-2014, 09:27 AM
I have been playing this game less and less over the last week or so, I think the DLC lockbox gate, the nerfing of regular lockboxes, paying scrip for keys, paying way more salvage for mod slots, and a scoring system that needs serious adjustment (or rollback) all play a factor in this. But I keep bringing up the DLC lockbox model, because I really think it needs to be scrapped.

When I log in now, there isn't a lot for me to do. And the grinding of rep which you know will lead to disappointment has really taken all the fun out of what little is left. Yesterday, I did an incursion which brought me to 100 rep at 7th Legion. It really wasn't very exciting though, I knew what was waiting for me in that awful lockbox. And I was right, a blue shield, a blue gun, and a purple shotgun that had no nano, a melee roll, and stowed weapon clip. I also got a "rebreather mask" whatever the heck that is.

It needs to be repeated - long time players don't want this stuff! And we especially don't want to waste days grinding rep only to be rewarded with junk. As bad as 7th Legion is, Gunslinger is worse. At least the 7th Legion rep can be obtained with incursions, the Gunslinger lockbox requires VBI rep, which you can only obtain 120 rep per week if you log in every day and do every contract. This equals just one Gunslinger box of junk per week. One per week!! At the rate these boxes drop anything worthwhile, I think it will be 2016 before I get anything, and of course Defiance will be a memory by then.

Gunslinger weapons are just retreads again, but I like a lot of them from what I've seen. It can't be this hard to get them.

Blondin
03-21-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm glad this topic keeps being brought up, as the lockbox endgame really isn't satisfying. It is also telling that Trick is a console designer and not a MMO designer. The MMO industry has pretty good standards for endgame with currency and merchants, this is what people expect and what people want.
Ok, now I understand all the design problem of this game, first is chat which is important part of a MMO, then the UI that is not made for a mouse (you have no contextual menu, etc), and I don't even talk about players hub, market, housing that you find in every MMO even the worst f2p games...

So if we talk about endgame we are far far away from what we have now... :(

Dar Katan
03-21-2014, 09:39 AM
..they still view it as their unfinished game from a development standpoint.

I agree. It also plays like one too. There is a double edged effect that this causes.

Positive: There is an ongoing story that will evolve and change in game content.
Negative: The game feels like it is unfinished and beta.

N3gativeCr33p
03-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Basically I got fvck all for paid dlc apart from a few shtako weapons which were ultimately salvaged.

Likewise... no lube, no kiss, no hug, and no reach around. Nothing but a few items to salvage.

Awesome sauce pause not.