PDA

View Full Version : Trion prove you really care about your customers and develop the game for the PS4!

vinceram
03-22-2014, 09:53 AM
since the issues with the PS3 seem insurmountable, then do the right thing and come out with a PS4 version!

McSteeletom
03-22-2014, 09:59 AM
That's the opposite thing they should do if they have problems on the ps3 what makes you think they can come with a game good enough for the ps4?

Blondin
03-22-2014, 10:52 AM
They just should develop UI and gameplay for PC version, it's so dumb right now, not even a rmb works on it....

hardy83
03-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Yeah. Developing for the PS4 or One would be more about "really care about the long term operation and success of the game" rather than showing care about the customers.

Caring about the customers would be involving themselves in the community more and continuing to improve the game with stability/bug fixes and content updates at a reasonable rate.

Dar Katan
03-22-2014, 11:17 AM
since the issues with the PS3 seem insurmountable, then do the right thing and come out with a PS4 version!

You sold your PS3 to get a PS4 didn't you? ;)

Deirachel
03-22-2014, 01:01 PM
That's the opposite thing they should do if they have problems on the ps3 what makes you think they can come with a game good enough for the ps4?

Supposedly, the OS for the PS4 is more like the "standard" operating system instead of the proprietary craziness for the PS3. In other words, it's easier to develop a game for both PS4 and Xbox360/One than it is for Xbox360 and PS3. So in some ways, it might actually be easier to port it to a PS4 version than to fix the PS3.

That said, it's still not a solution. People who bought the game for PS3 should have the same support level and fixes as Xbox or PC, over any attempts to port the game to the new gen consoles. They bought it in good faith believing this version would be at the same level of bugs/glitches as any other version. They should not be expected to make a US$400 purchase to get the bug fixes they deserve.

InfamousBrad
03-22-2014, 01:06 PM

This. Seriously, cross-platform development is, more than anything, the boat anchor around this game's neck. It's to blame for everything from the axed social hub to the 480i resolution UI to the long development cycles. If this were a PC-only game, it would be profitable by now -- and a heck of a lot better game.

drackiller
03-22-2014, 01:09 PM
You sold your PS3 to get a PS4 didn't you? ;)

I didn`t and i also have a PS4...what is the problem !?

PS4 is much like a PC now (so is XBOX ONE), it would be easy to port.

drackiller
03-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Supposedly, the OS for the PS4 is more like the "standard" operating system instead of the proprietary craziness for the PS3. In other words, it's easier to develop a game for both PS4 and Xbox360/One than it is for Xbox360 and PS3. So in some ways, it might actually be easier to port it to a PS4 version than to fix the PS3.

That said, it's still not a solution. People who bought the game for PS3 should have the same support level and fixes as Xbox or PC, over any attempts to port the game to the new gen consoles. They bought it in good faith believing this version would be at the same level of bugs/glitches as any other version. They should not be expected to make a US$400 purchase to get the bug fixes they deserve.
I agree with you, still a PS4 would be nice.

drackiller
03-22-2014, 01:11 PM
This. Seriously, cross-platform development is, more than anything, the boat anchor around this game's neck. It's to blame for everything from the axed social hub to the 480i resolution UI to the long development cycles. If this were a PC-only game, it would be profitable by now -- and a heck of a lot better game.

Typical "master race" thinking ...

N3gativeCr33p
03-22-2014, 01:14 PM
If this were a PC-only game, it would be profitable by now -- and a heck of a lot better game.

LMAO... "better"? Well that's open to a whole lot of interpretation.

As far as porting it to the PS4? Too little, too late... IMHO. That ship sailed weeks ago in my case. Staying concentrated on what they have now is the way I think it should go.

Blondin
03-22-2014, 03:53 PM
May be not better but atleast more a MMO.

But there is financial interest, develop a game on threee platform will give you more money :)

Arsenic_Touch
03-22-2014, 04:44 PM

As far as porting it to the PS4? Too little, too late... IMHO. That ship sailed weeks ago in my case. Staying concentrated on what they have now is the way I think it should go.

No, it's really not open to interpretation.

N3gativeCr33p
03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
But there is financial interest, develop a game on threee platform will give you more money :)

Well yeah... obviously. Even a third grade accountant could tell you that much.

Daholic
03-22-2014, 06:17 PM

Yea that's the spirit, let just port this suspect population title over to ps4 and watch it compete with the laundry list of other title that happen to do quite well on both/one system.

What? You think you and you band of freedom fighter will sustain this title enough to keep it viable? Did you even think this through? Your asking any/everyone who own this title to buy this title again on PS4 just to experience the same problem the ps3 is facing? You think Trion is going to port it over just because you feel its the right thing?

3rdpig
03-22-2014, 06:26 PM

So if it's that easy you should just bang it out in your spare time tonight and send it to them in the morning.

CM Kiwibird
03-22-2014, 06:38 PM
No announcements have been made about porting out to the PS4/Xbox One, and that's all I really have to say about that.

That said, we also have no plans of just jumping ship on the PS3 or abandoning our PS3 players. If you're currently having trouble, I want you to PM me with more information.

Chump Norris
03-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Trion please ignore requests for PS4/Xbone ports until PS3/360/PC versions are working flawlessly.

hey u
03-22-2014, 06:53 PM
No announcements have been made about porting out to the PS4/Xbox One, and that's all I really have to say about that.

That said, we also have no plans of just jumping ship on the PS3 or abandoning our PS3 players. If you're currently having trouble, I want you to PM me with more information.

I think Trion has it planned. When DLC 5 drops which is in some time I can see since Trion met the season pass agreement then porting to the Xbox one and PS4 also but it's a digital copy and not a disk which I would assume save money on not having to make disks and it all a digital download and then pile on individual DLC packages along with the in-game store as well.

Also since it's $9.99 new at GameStop well if the works as intended I could see Trion charging $59.99 for the game and all DLC with it.

This is just my thought on it with the PS4 and the One.

Dar Katan
03-22-2014, 06:57 PM

I heard you were starting development for the Gameboy. :cool:

http://media.edge-online.com/wp-content/uploads/edgeonline/2012/10/Game-Boy-color.jpg

Arsenic_Touch
03-22-2014, 08:36 PM
I think Trion has it planned. When DLC 5 drops which is in some time I can see since Trion met the season pass agreement then porting to the Xbox one and PS4 also but it's a digital copy and not a disk which I would assume save money on not having to make disks and it all a digital download and then pile on individual DLC packages along with the in-game store as well.

Also since it's $9.99 new at GameStop well if the works as intended I could see Trion charging $59.99 for the game and all DLC with it.

This is just my thought on it with the PS4 and the One.

If they actually had it planned, they would say so. Given how badly Defiance performs on both consoles, they would jump at the chance of improving the game with the next gen consoles. Since they have been quite adamant at every mention of next gen, people need to just let it go. It's not happening.

hey u
03-22-2014, 11:03 PM
If they actually had it planned, they would say so. Given how badly Defiance performs on both consoles, they would jump at the chance of improving the game with the next gen consoles. Since they have been quite adamant at every mention of next gen, people need to just let it go. It's not happening.

Not true I say. I think if Trion were to say it going to PS4/Xbox One and PC still all the people on Xbox360 and PS3 would get really pissed off and a huge uproar and maybe even mass people stop playing the game which crash the game more than is as now.

I think if Trion were to do it they would wait till dlc 5 is out for 360 and PS3 then release it for One/PS3 and fine tune it for the PC. I have no idea how Trion servers work but with this year long of disconnects and such I would think if Trion does make the leap it will be the One/PS4/PC on a new server and have the 360/PS3 continue playing on a separate server or shut down the 360/PS3 servers and make the leap to next gen.

drackiller
03-23-2014, 12:59 AM
So if it's that easy you should just bang it out in your spare time tonight and send it to them in the morning.

That makes sense, if i were an expert in the matter i would accept the challenge. When arguing with someone use logic please.

It`s known by every body that the biggest problem of the PS3 is the dificultie on programing/coding for that particular platform and the console also has hardware limitations, let`s not forget that.
Because of at least those two factors and the fact that most of the games for the PS3 are ports, either from the PC or the XBOX in most of the cases, that is why games like this don`t work properly.

Would you tell me, that now , wouldn`t be much easier porting from the PC to the PS4/Xbone than it is for the actual ones!?
But hey, i`m not an expert my knowledge is purely empiric.
Either way, i don`t care, don`t intend to sell my PS3 so soon because i have LOTS of FREE games to play in my PS3 as in opposed to my PS4 that is actually a paper weight.

Blondin
03-23-2014, 04:46 AM
Not true I say. I think if Trion were to say it going to PS4/Xbox One and PC still all the people on Xbox360 and PS3 would get really pissed off and a huge uproar and maybe even mass people stop playing the game which crash the game more than is as now.

I think if Trion were to do it they would wait till dlc 5 is out for 360 and PS3 then release it for One/PS3 and fine tune it for the PC. I have no idea how Trion servers work but with this year long of disconnects and such I would think if Trion does make the leap it will be the One/PS4/PC on a new server and have the 360/PS3 continue playing on a separate server or shut down the 360/PS3 servers and make the leap to next gen.
To transfer a game from ps3/xbox to ps4/xbox1 it costs money, Trion already have problem to develop dlc5 before june, and don't forget they have to develop season 2 too, so they already spend a lot of money for that, they also have other game to develop.

And I don't even talk about skill, they have issue on low platform that they know, how will they do on a new platform...

N3gativeCr33p
03-23-2014, 05:13 AM
Trion please ignore requests for PS4/Xbone ports until PS3/360/PC versions are working flawlessly.

As a PS4 owner, I second this notion.

Dar Katan
03-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Did I hit a nerve?

That makes sense, if i were an expert in the matter i would accept the challenge. When arguing with someone use logic please.

:confused:

But hey, i`m not an expert my knowledge is purely empiric.

Stating that you are using empirical evidence as your support means you have actually observed or experimented with how easy it is to port to an already existing game to the current generation consoles.

But I digress...
If Defiance were to be released in the future on the current generation consoles I would probably buy it for the Xbox One when I get one.

drackiller
03-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Did I hit a nerve?

:confused:

Stating that you are using empirical evidence as your support means you have actually observed or experimented with how easy it is to port to an already existing game to the current generation consoles.

But I digress...
If Defiance were to be released in the future on the current generation consoles I would probably buy it for the Xbox One when I get one.

You hit nothing my friend because what you were saying wasn`t meant for me.
For the rest, take it as you want, like i said , i`m not an expert nor do i intend to pass as one, quite the opposite from many here stating their expertise all the time.

Again one more time, like i said before, i don`t care and like others have already said i would rather have the problems fixed on the current platforms.

Amun Ra
03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Let's turn it around: if you like the game, play it on PC?

Atticus Batman
03-23-2014, 03:18 PM

No. Don't think so! Xbox has a bigger player base, so forget your dumb pc! Besides having to upgrade something on my system every six months just does not appeal to me.

On Xbox 360, I can go out and buy a 360 game that came out years ago and it works fine, In five month I can buy a new 360 game and it will work fine. But older games don't always run right on PC due to different specs, and if you buy a new game in 6 months, you will most likely have to upgrade something to get it to play the game right.

Yes I know, Pc play faster, Pc run smoother, Pc better graphics, Pc better sound..blah blah blah! I own a system to play what I want when I want. I do not want to have to buy a new graphics card, sound card, windows, etc, just to play a new game I bought, etc, etc.

Must you always throw the Pc master race elitism out there? If it was the master race, then it would not require upgrades all the dang time!

DSW
03-23-2014, 03:35 PM
No. Don't think so! Xbox has a bigger player base, so forget your dumb pc! Besides having to upgrade something on my system every six months just does not appeal to me.

On Xbox 360, I can go out and buy a 360 game that came out years ago and it works fine, In five month I can buy a new 360 game and it will work fine. But older games don't always run right on PC due to different specs, and if you buy a new game in 6 months, you will most likely have to upgrade something to get it to play the game right.

Yes I know, Pc play faster, Pc run smoother, Pc better graphics, Pc better sound..blah blah blah! I own a system to play what I want when I want. I do not want to have to buy a new graphics card, sound card, windows, etc, just to play a new game I bought, etc, etc.

Must you always throw the Pc master race elitism out there? If it was the master race, then it would not require upgrades all the dang time!

and here's a look from another side. teh fixed hw of consoles are holding back game evolution, because game devs cant just do what they want the way they need and rather forced to do it the way consoles allow them to. i think we on pc could have Defi with crysis-like graphics, ability to snipe target from kilometers away and so on for now, but it would cost too much to develop it this way even for Blizzard.

also i think if it wasn't for money, nobody in gamedev world would care about 2-3 years old hw platforms.

Amun Ra
03-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Actually, the question to make a game for 'game station X' is the same thing as what I said.
Let's turn it around You missed this?

That you took it in an offensive way does not mean I meant it as such, Atti.

Blondin
03-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I don't want to enter in that war, but the 6 month upgrade is a myth, I play on the same laptop over 3 years and I don't have problem playing any game.

Atticus Batman
03-23-2014, 03:52 PM
I don't want to enter in that war, but the 6 month upgrade is a myth, I play on the same laptop over 3 years and I don't have problem playing any game.

I get that blondin. I aslo get Dsw.

and here's a look from another side. teh fixed hw of consoles are holding back game evolution, because game devs cant just do what they want the way they need and rather forced to do it the way consoles allow them to. i think we on pc could have Defi with crysis-like graphics, ability to snipe target from kilometers away and so on for now, but it would cost too much to develop it this way even for Blizzard.

also i think if it wasn't for money, nobody in gamedev world would care about 2-3 years old hw platforms.

I am just tired of seeing this.

We should all be allowed to play it if we like it! Besides if consoles didn't play it too, you actually think this game would still be around with all the dumb flipflopping changes they keep making?

Amun Ra
03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
I agree fully there, Atti, I really do.
But asking to redevelop the game for the PS4, is something I do not quite understand.
The requester seems to have it on a different platform, if I got it right, then why ask to make it for a newer game platform?

Atticus Batman
03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
I agree fully there, Atti, I really do.
But asking to redevelop the game for the PS4, is something I do not quite understand.
The requester seems to have it on a different platform, if I got it right, then why ask to make it for a newer game platform?

Most people want it on a new platform because they sale their old ones, when they get a new one. Let me see if I could make a hypothetical you would get..........

{Imagine that Destop and laptop computers had different software/hardware limits like a console. Ok now say you play it on Desktop, but just bought a new laptop and ignore the desktop. Would you be fine with the fact that the game you like won't work on your laptop, or would you be on here asking that they make it for laptop?}

Remember readers, that was a hypothetical where I made laptops and desktops different, kind of consider the desktop in my hypothetical as a Ps3/Xbox 360 and the laptop a Ps4/Xbone. I hope that helps you and doesn't confuse you!

Arsenic_Touch
03-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Except you don't actually have to upgrade every six months. And Xbox has a bigger playerbase? haha, is that why steam outnumbers both consoles combined, right?

On Xbox 360, I can go out and buy a 360 game that came out years ago and it works fine, In five month I can buy a new 360 game and it will work fine. But older games don't always run right on PC due to different specs, and if you buy a new game in 6 months, you will most likely have to upgrade something to get it to play the game right.Let's say you bought battlefield 4 and a computer that can play it on high settings. Six months later, another game comes out, you're saying you'll have to upgrade to play it "right" ? Hate to break it to you but that's not even remotely true.

Yes I know, Pc play faster, Pc run smoother, Pc better graphics, Pc better sound..blah blah blah! I own a system to play what I want when I want. I do not want to have to buy a new graphics card, sound card, windows, etc, just to play a new game I bought, etc, etc.Again, you do not have to do this. In fact, you take a 500 dollar computer and you'll be able to run every game that console runs right now and every game those consoles will continue to release until the day they stop supporting that console. (i'm talking about the xbox 360 and ps3)

Must you always throw the Pc master race elitism out there? If it was the master race, then it would not require upgrades all the dang time!I hate repeating myself but again you don't have to upgrade all the time. So yeah, nothing you posted was actually accurate.

Dar Katan
03-23-2014, 10:21 PM
And Xbox has a bigger playerbase? haha, is that why steam outnumbers both consoles combined, right?

Where are you getting the PC vs Console stats from? I'm curious to see this information.

Amun Ra
03-24-2014, 03:24 AM
Most people want it on a new platform because they sale their old ones, when they get a new one. Let me see if I could make a hypothetical you would get..........

{Imagine that Destop and laptop computers had different software/hardware limits like a console. Ok now say you play it on Desktop, but just bought a new laptop and ignore the desktop. Would you be fine with the fact that the game you like won't work on your laptop, or would you be on here asking that they make it for laptop?}

Remember readers, that was a hypothetical where I made laptops and desktops different, kind of consider the desktop in my hypothetical as a Ps3/Xbox 360 and the laptop a Ps4/Xbone. I hope that helps you and doesn't confuse you!Never thought of that really, never been in possession of a console (far too many problems around).
I despice floptops really due to the fact they are so bloody limited: desktop all the way.
Having a decent system with 16TB diskspace, 32GB Ram, a slightly older vidcard, I get around pretty darned good.
But even on my slightly older vidcard i can run virtually all games with maxed settings.
So, I have not been in any of these situations myself, thus cannot relate to this.

Nevertheless: good point.

Atticus Batman
03-24-2014, 03:38 AM
Never thought of that really, never been in possession of a console (far too many problems around).
I despice floptops really due to the fact they are so bloody limited: desktop all the way.
Having a decent system with 16TB diskspace, 32GB Ram, a slightly older vidcard, I get around pretty darned good.
But even on my slightly older vidcard i can run virtually all games with maxed settings.
So, I have not been in any of these situations myself, thus cannot relate to this.

Nevertheless: good point.

Atleast you seem to understand what I meant with that hypothetical.
Lol I prefer desktops as well, when I do use a pc. Laptops are just so easy to break, lose or have stolen. And nowadays most thieves don't bother with desktops. I had a friend who purposely built a state of the art Pc using the casing off a bulky tower from the 1990's. His roommates thought he was stupid for i., but the joke was on them.

When they were burglarized last year, all 3 roomates' laptops were stolen as were their ps3s and xbox 360s. His old bulky looking (but secretly amazing Pc according to him and reluctantly his roommates) was kicked out of the way, but left mostly untouched. While they were on the phone with insurance, credit card companies, banks and such; He took the casing off his computer, punched out the dent and put it back on and was good to go. Btw he also had a Ps3 and a 360 but he had me make him a bulky dresser that had hidden compartments he kept them in. He is a very paranoid kind of guy. lol His roommates hassled him for that as a waste of money and a stupid idea as well. But those were also safe lol.

God were all 3 pissed at him for being smarter than them! LOL

ironcladtrash
03-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Anyone have access to the beta for Playstation Now? Won't this make Defiance playable on PS4 and Vita?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/07/playstation-now-streaming-game-service-coming-this-summer/

I would love to play this on my Vita.

drackiller
03-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Anyone have access to the beta for Playstation Now? Won't this make Defiance playable on PS4 and Vita?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/07/playstation-now-streaming-game-service-coming-this-summer/

It`s only for the US !? For what i`ve read it`s a first step for Gaikay.
Bet that it will be a paying service.

Rokea
03-26-2014, 10:02 AM
The fact that they were in development for the ps3 and 360 version since 08, I highly doubt the ps4 xbox1 versions are coming out any time soon if at all. Frankly I would rather see them polish this version first, lord knows ps3 pc and 360 need it first.

Matobar
03-26-2014, 10:09 AM

Playstation Now will only feature games that are hosted in the Gaikai cloud. I doubt Trion would divert resources into making that a thing, considering everything else they're already working on for Defiance.

Cyripax NeoPrime
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
If it ever shows up on ps4 or xbone.......it will be a direct port of the current versions and only a digital download, much like how you can get the playstation classics[ps2 and ps games on the ps3] from the digital library. Sorry to burst anyones bubble for a redisigned next gen version.

hardy83
03-26-2014, 10:31 AM
If it ever shows up on ps4 or xbone.......it will be a direct port of the current versions and only a digital download, much like how you can get the playstation classics[ps2 and ps games on the ps3] from the digital library. Sorry to burst anyones bubble for a redisigned next gen version.

Not necessarily.
The port could, if they wanted, include HD textures and the player model loading option that PC has. You know, given that the One and PS4, unlike the PS3 and 360 actually have a decent amount of RAM in them. lol

N3gativeCr33p
03-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Sorry to burst anyones bubble for a redisigned next gen version.

Lucky for me there was no bubble to break. My whole "I would totally buy this game for the PS4" ship sailed several weeks ago.

Cyripax NeoPrime
03-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Not necessarily.
The port could, if they wanted, include HD textures and the player model loading option that PC has. You know, given that the One and PS4, unlike the PS3 and 360 actually have a decent amount of RAM in them. lol
Which would be no different than the classics library on ps3........ added hd textures and a few feature changes. Hardly a redisigned game.

Matobar
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
The issue is resource allocation: any movement from platform to platform would take time and development resources away from improving the game.

Cyripax NeoPrime
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Lucky for me there was no bubble to break. My whole "I would totally buy this game for the PS4" ship sailed several weeks ago.

Probably for the better anyway.......those sailors would get rickets or scurvy waitin round for trion get on board to set sail

hey u
03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
I say take out the hole online option playing with tons of people=less lag I would think. Make it like borderlands where we can play solo or up to 30 people per shard in regards to Defiance. Have it so if players want to play with new/other people they go on the forum looking for new people to game with.

After that never offer a season pass where YOU TRION are on a time limit to pump out DLC within a time period but instead pump out a DLC full of DLC and tested more and can be released when it is really ready.

ironcladtrash
03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
It`s only for the US !? For what i`ve read it`s a first step for Gaikay.
Bet that it will be a paying service.

I am sure it cost money too, probably like onlive's service.

Playstation Now will only feature games that are hosted in the Gaikai cloud. I doubt Trion would divert resources into making that a thing, considering everything else they're already working on for Defiance.

I am not sure trion or any game company would have to do anything. This is sony's service and is like playing PS3 remotely. Sony hosts the game and PS3 servers and they already sell this game as a digital download. However it is all just speculation at this point unless someone has access to the beta.

Matobar
03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I am sure it cost money too, probably like onlive's service.

I am not sure trion or any game company would have to do anything. This is sony's service and is like playing PS3 remotely. Sony hosts the game and PS3 servers and they already sell this game as a digital download. However it is all just speculation at this point unless someone has access to the beta.

It's in a digital space, true, but it would take some work to get it ready for cloud streaming. You'd need to make sure the game is optimized to work with the always-on Cloud servers, which would need to work with Trion's own servers which would manage the game's population.

As a matter of fact, Playstation Now has yet to cover whether multiplayer will be included in the streamed titles. Will we be able to play Mass Effect 3 online with friends? Or will we be stuck with the offline modes?

Add to that the legal wrinkles involved with adding the game to Gaikai (I can't imagine it would be a no-nonsense thing, considering the aforementioned server things, combined with the fact that the game is being played on a rival console as well as PC.)

ironcladtrash
03-26-2014, 11:16 AM
It's in a digital space, true, but it would take some work to get it ready for cloud streaming. You'd need to make sure the game is optimized to work with the always-on Cloud servers, which would need to work with Trion's own servers which would manage the game's population.

As a matter of fact, Playstation Now has yet to cover whether multiplayer will be included in the streamed titles. Will we be able to play Mass Effect 3 online with friends? Or will we be stuck with the offline modes?

Add to that the legal wrinkles involved with adding the game to Gaikai (I can't imagine it would be a no-nonsense thing, considering the aforementioned server things, combined with the fact that the game is being played on a rival console as well as PC.)

Think of it more like Remote Desktop. I could technically play this game with a program that could remotely login and use my desktop top with. I wouldn't have to contact Trion at all and they wouldn't be involved if I wanted to do that. On the surface that's all that it looks like Sony is allowing you to do would be to remotely control a PS3 they host that has a game library of whatever you paid for.

RAGEFIGHTER
03-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Yeah. Developing for the PS4 or One would be more about "really care about the long term operation and success of the game" rather than showing care about the customers.

Caring about the customers would be involving themselves in the community more and continuing to improve the game with stability/bug fixes and content updates at a reasonable rate.

compleetly agree wee are tous customers :) ps4 lol whats a point of theth iff they cant handl ps 3 ?? it gives no sense :) personaly i think this game iss cool but imposible on consoles diferent game with simple controls like dungeon defendears may work up but this game is sireous and complicated itsa prety sad imagine how they can try put all thees commands in on tous silly controlers :) even if i wuld have console i wuldnt even try out deffiance on it :)

Matobar
03-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Think of it more like Remote Desktop. I could technically play this game with a program that could remotely login and use my desktop top with. I wouldn't have to contact Trion at all and they wouldn't be involved if I wanted to do that. On the surface that's all that it looks like Sony is allowing you to do would be to remotely control a PS3 they host that has a game library of whatever you paid for.

It's different if you're using your computer to play the game through another one. But on such a large scale, with the Cloud needing to be involved, and an actual company (Sony in this case) being involved in the hosting, there will inevitably be issues and red tape that need to be sorted out. I'm not saying it's not possible (it most certainly is) but for right now, this would be a question of whether Trion wants to devote resources to getting Defiance on Gaikai, or doing something else with the game. Again, I'm not saying it would be difficult, or impossible. I'm saying it would require some effort, because these things always do, and that inevitably means Trion needed to decide whether the effort is worth it. With the way Defiance's development is progressing currently, I'm not sure it's a time/resource investment they'd make off-hand.

ironcladtrash
03-26-2014, 11:24 AM
It's different if you're using your computer to play the game through another one. But on such a large scale, with the Cloud needing to be involved, and an actual company (Sony in this case) being involved in the hosting, there will inevitably be issues and red tape that need to be sorted out. I'm not saying it's not possible (it most certainly is) but for right now, this would be a question of whether Trion wants to devote resources to getting Defiance on Gaikai, or doing something else with the game. Again, I'm not saying it would be difficult, or impossible. I'm saying it would require some effort, because these things always do, and that inevitably means Trion needed to decide whether the effort is worth it. With the way Defiance's development is progressing currently, I'm not sure it's a time/resource investment they'd make off-hand.

The effort is all Sony's, and what they are doing now with the beta. No where does Trion have to be involved.

Matobar
03-26-2014, 11:33 AM
The effort is all Sony's, and what they are doing now with the beta. No where does Trion have to be involved.

That's simply untrue. Trion will need to make sure their game is optimized and compatible with the Gaikai servers. They'll need to make sure the streaming doesn't put any undue stress on Defiance's own servers (which is a real possibility.) They'll need to navigate legal brickwork, especially considering how multi-platform Defiance is, in order to ensure there's no legal reason why they can't add the game to the Gaikai servers. There's also the issue of money, and whether or not Trion will be asked to pay for Defiance to be streamed through Gaikai. If they are, that is certainly a reason to not do it.

N3gativeCr33p
03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Probably for the better anyway.......those sailors would get rickets or scurvy waitin round for trion get on board to set sail

Aye aye... Captain Kenway and the crew of the Jackdaw wait for no man... or company. ;)

ironcladtrash
03-26-2014, 11:39 AM
That's simply untrue. Trion will need to make sure their game is optimized and compatible with the Gaikai servers. They'll need to make sure the streaming doesn't put any undue stress on Defiance's own servers (which is a real possibility.) They'll need to navigate legal brickwork, especially considering how multi-platform Defiance is, in order to ensure there's no legal reason why they can't add the game to the Gaikai servers. There's also the issue of money, and whether or not Trion will be asked to pay for Defiance to be streamed through Gaikai. If they are, that is certainly a reason to not do it.

No they don't at all and that's the point. This is Sony's service to allow you to allow you to play PS3 games in devices like the Ps4 and vita. Licensing could be an issue but that is separate. This would be no different then if all of a sudden thousands of more people decided to buy and play the game on the PS3 currently. Sony doesn't have to ask if it's ok to Trion.

Sony has the sole responsibility to make sure when you remotely play games on their service it runs smooth. It really isn't different then playing this on PS3 currently other then you aren't sitting in front of your PS3.

Matobar
03-26-2014, 11:52 AM
No they don't at all and that's the point. This is Sony's service to allow you to allow you to play PS3 games in devices like the Ps4 and vita. Licensing could be an issue but that is separate. This would be no different then if all of a sudden a thousands of more people decided to buy and play the game on the PS3 currently. Sony doesn't have to ask if it's ok to Trion.

Sony has the sole responsibility to make sure when you remotely play games on their service it runs smooth. It really isn't different then playing this on PS3 currently other then you aren't sitting in front of your PS3.

This is extremely different from streaming from your PS3 to some other device. In your case, you own the PS3, and the device you're streaming to, and you own the game you're streaming. The stream is going from you to you, with no involvement in an outside party. There's no connecting to an outside source. No subscription fee. No downloading and uploading beyond your own machines and your own internet connection.

For Playstation Now, you're directly involved with Gaikai, which is an online Cloud service owned by Sony. Instead of getting the game directly from your own home, you're getting it from Cloud Servers, which are subject to fits of instability, and owned/controlled by someone who is not you. There is every reason to believe these online Cloud servers, which are supposed to be hosting hundreds, possibly thousands of games, may fail, or stutter under the weight of all the people using them, at least initially. For an MMO developer like Trion, who already has to worry about their own servers being finicky, worrying about Gaikai's servers could be more than they want/need to handle. In addition to this, there's every possibility that Defiance, being an MMO, could take up too much space on Gaikai's cloud as it is. The Cloud may require that Defiance be streamlined or optimized for its servers, which could take additional development and implementation that Trion may not want to spend time on.

In addition to this, Sony has every responsibility to ask Trion if they can stream Defiance via Playstation Now. To not ask them would amount to outright theft, considering Sony is probably going to be asking for some sort of payment in order to use Playstation Now. Making money off of that payment without consulting Trion about using their game would be extremely illegal. Further, you're forgetting one crucial component of Playstation Now: It streams games the users do not need to own. I've already mentioned that Sony will probably ask for some kind of subscription to use the service: this will likely cover upkeep, and the cost of streaming games to users who do not own them. This is the gaming equivalent of Netflix. If Sony did not ask Trion if they could stream Defiance to people who do not own it, and then proceed to make money off of doing so, Trion would be understandably irate.

The amount of effort it would take Trion to make Defiance work with Playstation Now is not nothing. It would not be an insurmountable investment, but as I've already pointed out, it's a matter of opportunity costs and investment research. Would Trion be better served spending time on Playstation Now? Or would they be better off working on Defiance's other aspects? The only people who can answer that 100% are Trion themselves.

ironcladtrash
03-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Again you missed the point and just want to speculate. License would be the only thing that might be an issue with Trion. You don't know regardless of how big of a wall of text you want to type and neither do I. Which was why my initial post about it asked if anyone had access to the beta.

Matobar
03-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Again you missed the point and just want to speculate. License would be the only thing that might be an issue with Trion. You don't know regardless of how big of a wall of text you want to type and neither do I. Which was why my initial post about it asked if anyone had access to the beta.

Literally nothing I said was speculation.